`100 YEARS

For non-Goony non-Dusty Discussion.

`100 YEARS

Postby pat.dunham » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Today we celebrate 100years of the RAF.
Being a bit of an aircraft fan I thought how could I see the flypast , other than on TV. At the last minute and studying the flight path of the various aircraft to be used in the flypast over Buckingham Palace I jumped in the car and headed for Stapleford Abbotts , a village in Essex, about 26 miles away. Before I arrived at said destination I became aware of cars parked on verges nearby a small airfield. This must a good place to view!
All the Chinook and Chipmunk helicopters, which would be leading the display, were on the grassy runway waiting with their blades running to take off. Just after 12.45 all the helicopters rose in formation to head to London, quite a sight. Following a few minutes later was the WW2 Memorial flight, Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricanes. Several other formations flew over the field, albeit further away from the field than I thought , so a bit difficult to identify aircraft. Returning home I then looked on YT and there was the whole BBC coverage.

I suppose my love of airplanes comes from being born in Hatfield the home of the de Havilland aircraft company.
The home of the first jet airliner "The Comet". Sadly all this has now disappeared.

Dusty loved aircraft and would visit Heathrow to watch the comings and goings of planes, in her gypsy mind wondering, no doubt,where her next destination would be.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Re: `100 YEARS

Postby Cas19 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:14 am

I bet that was quite a sight to see Pat, years ago a Vulcan Bomber flew over our house and so very low, it looked almost spaceship like, amazing.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby pat.dunham » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Yes Cas, quite an aircraft. I saw it at the annual De Havilland sports /open day way back. I remember it approaching in total silence but when it was overhead the noise shook your body. [:o]
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cas19 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:43 am

Indeed Pat very loud! So awesome. I have never forgotten it.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Return to What's It Gonna Be?