Dusty tours in West Yorkshire, 1960s

Ask, Answer or Just State the Facts About Dusty.

Dusty tours in West Yorkshire, 1960s

Postby LeedsLFH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi all,

My name is Antony and I'm one of the Librarians at the Local and Family History department of Leeds Central Library. We've had a customer enquiry here that we're hoping you may be able to help us with...

Our customer is desperately trying to track down a photo of Dusty in Leeds (specifically at the Kirkstall Road ice-rink/bowling arena), taken sometime in the 1960s and published in the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP). Our customer can apparently be seen in the background of this photo and she is keen to get another copy, having lost her original.

While we have microfilms of the YEP here at the Library, which can be manually searched through, the customer can't really remember when the photo was taken! (other than that it was probably between 1964 and 1968). That's a lot of searching our customer would have to do, and she's hoping to be able to narrow her search period down, by identifying the dates Dusty was likely to have been in Leeds in that time.

So...if anyone is able to tell us when Dusty performed in Leeds, and the wider West Yorkshire area (e.g. Batley, Bradford, etc), during the 1960s, that would really help and we'd be very grateful. Even a year and a month would be a good place to start, though obviously exact dates would be even better.

You could post answers here, or e-mail me at antony.ramm@leeds.gov.uk.

Thanks,
Antony
Assistant Librarian-Manager

Local and Family History
Central Library
Leeds
LS1 3AB
LeedsLFH
I start counting

Re: Dusty tours in West Yorkshire, 1960s

Postby countrycake » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Antony, the following details have been extracted from Paul Howes' book The Complete Dusty Springfield:

Chinchilla Club, Leeds - 29/12/63 for one week
Odeon, Leeds - 11/03/64
Odeon, Leeds - 25/11/64
Gaumont, Bradford - 03/04/65
Lyceum Club, Bradford - 31/05/65 to 05/06/65
Batley Variety Club - 28/01/68 for one week

I hope this info is of some help in narrowing down the periods to be searched.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: Dusty tours in West Yorkshire, 1960s

Postby LeedsLFH » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks! That's really, really helpful - I'll be sure to let our customer know. Much appreciated!

Thanks,
Antony
LeedsLFH
I start counting

Return to Getting It Right