Dusty (the next show)

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Dusty (the next show)

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:30 am

ImageThank you for the review Jennifer - it is reassuring to know that the Dusty role remains in good hands if delegated to Tricia Adele-Turner. I should have realized that the critic in Bath Magazine was citing Dusty's hits as they appeared in the play: it might throw fans for the songs to be "sorted by relevance" rather than by date - and the one negative I perceived in the Telegraph review was that the "shoe-horning" of the songs was sometimes maladroit - but if these be faults they are IMHO unavoidable faults for a jukebox musical. Still I must remain enough of a purist so as to suggest that the show's program might have included a set-list giving the actual year of each song's release.

As far as the chances for a West End transfer - that step seems to be considered a given in the online mentions of the show. Certainly with such positive reaction I can't believe the show won't have another incarnation soon after the current "quickie tour" ends in two weeks: whether it will next play the West End or book new tour dates I imagine largely depends on venue availability.

I do have to mention that I share the concern raised by Donella over the portrayal of Kay O'Brien. The impression I have is that the show's storyline presents Dusty's esteem issues as a central conflict which she must deal with - eventually surmounting or at least coming to terms with - and her mother seems to have been made the personification of the negativity with which Dusty must grapple. That really doesn't jibe with anything I've read about Dusty - certainly not in DWD - and even if there's some truth in Dusty and Kay's relationship being less than ideal I'd have preferred that the musical showcase Dusty's issues in a way that didn't make any specific character a villain. Of course I'm cheering the show's success but as its ascendancy continues I hope for the opening of avenues for clarification as to what elements in Dusty's life have been amended for plot purposes - such as the characterization of Dusty's mother.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby donellac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 am

Thanks for your thoughts Sweetbaby. I'm glad you agree that Kay should not be made a villain. Possibly no-one else should be either.

As I have said, mother daughter relationships are complex and cannot be portrayed in simplistic terms. Kay O'Brien was human like the rest of us. I am sure she had her failings as a mother, but that doesn't make her poisonous. I don't believe she was. Pat's comment was that she found Kay 'sweet'.

Dusty's esteem issues were multi-faceted and cannot easily be explaned as having one simple cause.

Whilst the show is deemed a success, with most accolades going to Katherine Kingsley for her portrayal of Dusty, there is something currupt at its heart.
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Kate » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Second visit to see Dusty The Musical at the Sheffield Lyceum last night. The first visit saw Tricia Adele-Turner taking the leading role and whilst being initially disappointed when I found out, I thought her performance was excellent.
The acting and the singing was absolutely fabulous.
Last night Katherine Kingsley was everything you could ever want in a leading lady, simply spectacular. I really think she did Dusty justice. At times you forgot that it wasn't Dusty on the stage.
I went with friends who know Dusty's music but know little about her life. They loved it. They are definite fans now and are off to buy her music. They laughed and cried and were sympathetic to all characters. This performance has definitely introduced Dusty to a whole new legion of fans. Her memory will never fade.
I read your reviews and whilst it was uncomfortable at times to see the relationship between mother and daughter I felt it was necessary to try and explain the conflict that was evident throughout Dusty's life. I have an Irish, Catholic parent and can identify with the storyline.
Not sure what you mean by 'corrupt' Donellac. I thought the production was excellent and I can assure you that my friends came away with a positive understanding of the main characters and didn't see Kay as being portrayed as poisonous. In fact they loved her dry humour
Kate
Little by little
Little by little

Postby trek007 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks for your review Kate.
Soon be seeing the show in Salford...next Wednesday in fact.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Kate » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Feel sure that you will love it trek007.
Kate
Little by little
Little by little

Postby daydreamer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Yes, thank you for your review Kate. I asked Pat about the way the mother/daughter relationship was portrayed and she said she'd always found Kay to be sweet whenever they met and she thought in the musical they were trying to show that Dusty really had no family backing. That said, to my eyes, in photos, they always look so proud of her. HMV in Newcastle are supporting the show with the real deal on display [:)]

hmv.jpg
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 am

Thats a good display as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of memorabilia for the actual show does there.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby wally » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 am

Just the programme at £4 x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 am

I presume, should it open in the West End, then that's when official merchandise will be available.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Hampson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:35 am

I was at the Premier in Bath. Loved the show, thought it was a hi energy show. Lots of inaccuracies, but they have to have things to fit in with a storyline, and can be forgiven for these minor things. I thought Katherine was excellent, as were most of the cast. They had done their homework, got the wigs and dresses right this time, and all in all it was a big improvement on previous shows in my opinion. My son and his girl friend who were with me had never heard about the South African incident and I think they learned something from the show.

Just wanted to say that they were a bit hard on Kay, and having spoken to one of Dusty;s friends that used to visit her home and knew Kay, she said Kay was a lovely lady and very kind. I think Dusty's parents were just parents of that era, mine were no different, they didn't sell books on parenting in those days, so it was all done by what they had learned from their parents.

Wend
Hampson
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby jennifer49 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 am

Just before I went to Bath to see the show I read somewhere, don't remember where, that Vicki Wyckham, who had played such a big part in Dusty's life, said she didn't want to be 'cast' in the production so other people took her place. Such as 'Vic Billings' announces he wrote that song in the back of a taxi and he refers to it several times thoughout, well he didn't did he, he also is 'Dusty's' Manager throughout all of the decades, he wasn't was he, and another one I can think of is, 'Pat' collects the OBE from the Palace in a Fortnum and Mason bag, which she didn't did she, all of these things Vicki actually did for real. I remember reading she said it seemed weird to sit back and watch someone else play her part so to speak.
Could this be the reason for some of the inaccuracies we are all talking about? well, for those that have seen it so far anyway. Just a thought and has anyone else read that same article?
Kate and Wendy enjoyed your reviews thankyou and for all those about to see it this week ENJOY!

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby donellac » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks Kate, Wend and Jennifer for your reviews of the Dusty Musical.

From everything that has been written I believe it is a great show with a particularly strong performance from Katherine Kingsley.

I am glad to see the comments left by Carole G and Wend about Kay O'Brien. She wasn't the tough, undermining critic she is portrayed as in the show. Instead she loved and supported Dusty, she was proud of her success. The production team are wrong to portray her as a sharp-tongued, gin-reliant woman; the mother Dusty could never please, and use that to explain the conflict in Dusty's life.

This, for me, is where the production is dishonest at its heart. Kate, I hope you can accept that.
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby wally » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:17 pm

I can accept the dishonesties as it makes a good story...in fact a brilliant story based loosley on facts. Please hold judgement until you see it and I do not think the production could do anything different to make it as brilliant as it is.

If we want something that brings Dusty to the masses...THIS IS IT..

Yes when I saw it I could criticise the inaccuracies but compared to the Mari Wilson effort and The Charring Cross Show and even the Katy Setterfield effort, of which I was not a fan, this is the best you can get and unfortunately if the die hard fans don't accept it then they will have to see what happens.

I am confident, even after the initial disappointment of the opening night, this will be successful!

Will await what the Salford reviews are like....but remember this is the last week x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Kate » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Whilst the portrayal of Kay is a little harsh I do believe that Kay represents both of Dusty’s parents just as Lois represents many of Dusty’s lovers. Unlikely that the true nature of their relationship will come out and but there must be some truth in the way Kay is portrayed. Hasn’t Pat been involved in an advisory capacity in this production?
Kate
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Cas19 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Heres my thoughts I went to see the Show yesterday.

I had a lovely time at the Dusty Musical at the Lowry.
Its difficult to put my feelings down in words, surfice to say I am still emotionally drained.
The first half of the show was kind of mediocre, but the second half blew me away.
Katherine Kingsley looked the part in wigs that were very authentic. You could perhaps be forgiven for thinking it was actually Dusty on stage. Katherines mannerisms are very Dusty like, the voice however is Katherines, a very strong voice and in no way trying to imitate Dusty.
Dustys humour we know and love was sadly missing from this production, I think it needed her humour at times to lift it.
There was some very slick costume changes throughout. Magic!
Roberta Taylor as Dustys Mother Kay was the archvillian of the show...poor Kay.
The last half hour or so of the show was very moving. We all know Dustys story of drink, drugs and the her dark times, but to see it portrayed on stage made it feel so raw. We were all in tears.
The last song, You Don't Have To Say You Love me is a complete show stopper, and the whole cast deserved the standing ovation they received.
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby trek007 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Good to read your thoughts Cas which are similar to mine.
I too would like to see more humour and laughter from Dusty in the first half to balance the second half.
Too much emphasis on insecurities at times which need to be in there but not in every scene. More humour came from Pat and Ruby whereas more should be from Dusty herself.so the first half does need work.
Parts of the 2nd half are harrowing but I think it has to be like that in order for the comeback with the PSBs to have the impact it does. This was very well done.
In many ways too, from rock bottom to success again shows what a wonderful woman Dusty was to overcome all the problems and to be successful again. I appreciate this is not for everyone but it worked because it was done with professionalism especially by Katherine.
Having said all that I enjoyed it and it's by far the best work about Dusty. I suspect we will never be truly satisfied but if it introduces her to new young people then that is good.

Cor and I were lucky enough to see Katherine Kingsley in breakfast this morning at the Premier inn.
So we thought we would say how much we enjoyed her performance...this was by the cereals!!
She was delighted by our comments.
So then much to our amazement we got invited to sit at her table and chat about the production and of course about Dusty!

She did mention she would like to see more laughter in the first half. Also the production team are going to make a few changes and they are all hoping it will get to London.
She is a lovely warm lady who is obviously generous with her time and is keen to do Dusty justice...she really loves everything Dusty and mentioned a few song she likes that are not in the show like Losing You, 24 Hours from Tulsa, If a You Go Away, Some of Your Lovin but as she says it's just impossible to put them all in. She would like to make an album.

I really enjoy the few days in Salford and to those who were there with me...thank you for your company .
And thank you Katherine for being so generous with your time and chatting to us for about 30 mins, I think her tea must have been cold when she got around to drinking it.
This production deserves to be success. :star:
Last edited by trek007 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:55 pm

ImageThanks for the feedback from Cas and Carole. Perhaps the show can be tweaked to make Dusty a more comedic role - I do suspect the producers et al are wary of making Dusty too much of a figure of fun. And it's too too fab that Car and Cor got to chat with Katherine Kingsley!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cas19 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:42 am

I of course knew your thoughts Trek, but its been nice to read about Katherine and your meeting with her. She sounds a caring lady and generous with her time.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby trek007 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:16 am

Sweetbaby wrote:ImageThanks for the feedback from Cas and Carole. Perhaps the show can be tweaked to make Dusty a more comedic role - I do suspect the producers et al are wary of making Dusty too much of a figure of fun. And it's too too fab that Car and Cor got to chat with Katherine Kingsley!

I wouldn't want to see Dusty being a comic turn, maybe I didn't express my thoughts very well.
Her humour and joy comes across during the real performances ie the TV series in the 60's and RSG....this doesn't come across in the production, only her insecurities.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby karen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks for your reviews about the Dusty Show , would love to see this one too , wold be great if it did appear in other Cities .. Katherine does come across as a nice person having breakfast and chatting with you and Cor trek .. xx :note: :thumbsup: [:)]
karen
I only want to be with you
I only want to be with you

PreviousNext

Return to Don't Forget About Me