Dusty (the next show)

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Dusty (the next show)

Postby wally » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 pm

A friend went last night and already many changes / improvements have been made. The main one being that Katherine now sings YDHTSYLM before the remaining cast take their bows at the end of the show. It is all looking very positive!!!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby daydreamer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Apparently, tonight, Tuesday 3rd is the official opening night according to posts on Twitter and this photo was posted today.

kat as Dusty.jpg
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby wally » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:08 pm

I still think I saw it too early but good to know that the issues I had have been addressed. It will be perfect by the time it reaches Salford....and on reflection Katherine is superb! Would love to see it again, but very few seats left in Bath when I am available....BUT feeling positive that I will see it in the West End!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Love that latest photo.
It will be interesting to see what the review is like from maybe tonight's performance.
Glad that changes are being made and looking forward to Salford
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:37 am

Great photo! It all looks & sounds promising.
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wally » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:47 am

Apart from Football...Twitter has gone mad with praise for the show...sounds like a winner x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 pm

There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:13 pm

ImageI'm posting links to reviews in the Swindon Advertiser and the Wiltshire Gazette & Herald both of which are loaded with nuggets the promoters can use to pitch the show - I imagine neither publication is that prestigious: the ads perhaps should print the quotes very large and the sources very small. In fact both reviews IMHO are every bit as valid as the excellent Telegraph piece - BTW is the last-named correct in stating the show has IJDKWTDWM recorded "in the toilet"? Of course YDHTSYLM was recorded in a studio stairwell - which if the Rolling Stones had recently been in the studio might had resembled a loo but...

Any road: here's the links: http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news ... for-dusty/ http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/leisu ... h/?ref=rss

'scuse me but here's another glowing review (altho if critic Melissa Blease wants to intro her piece by reffing some of Dusty's signature songs please don't state: "One year later [than 1965], she only wanted to be with you; the year after that, she was pondering how she could be sure.") Any road - deal with the intro and dig into the accolades by clicking here: https://thebathmagazine.co.uk/review-du ... oyal-bath/
Last edited by Sweetbaby on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby jennifer49 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Corinna help, did a long review on the show, took me ages, I pressed submit and it disappeared, said I had to log in again, which I did, can it be found or is it lost forever?

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Corinna » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Sad to say, Jennifer, it has disappeared in cyberspace :cry:

Would you mind posting it again...? [beg]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby donellac » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi Jennifer,

You would be best to type your review in Word then paste it into LTD, Thenyou can be sure of keeping it and not having the system tume out on you.

I'm dying to read your review of the show. I have been looking at all of them with interest!
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Cas19 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 am

Thank you to all who have posted reviews and links. I will be seeing this show for myself very soon at the end of July. Can't wait.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby jennifer49 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 am

Thankyou Corinna and Donella for advice and yes I will post a review again later on tonight (when its a bit cooler). I guessed yesterday I had been timed out. I'll just have to keep trying until it works.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby jennifer49 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 am

Went to Bath last week and saw the show on Wednesday 5th July. I booked for the afternoon performance and it never occurred to me that Kathryn wouldn't be there. Was disappointed but needn't have worried as Tricia Adele-Turner was a worthy stand in and did a great job.
Show opens with the Ready Steady Go theme and 'Dusty' getting stage fright (fag in hand) hiding in the loo, much to the annoyance of the RSG Floor Manager. Clothes were spot on from the time such as little black and white dresses which barely covered much.
'Mrs O'Brien' sweeps in asking for gin, very critical about 'Dusty', harshly so I thought, which is a thread which runs throughout the play, these days would be called mental abuse I think. 'Dusty' gets the blame for the split with the Springfields, 'Tom' was devastated about it, I think not, but that is what she said.
The scene on South Africa and one of the policeman's outburst was totally shocking I thought, as having a young diverse cast (I know they are actors and things like that went on at the time), but no need to shove it in their faces like that, could have found another way to put the point across, me thinks, but all done to shock I suppose.
Fascinating the way they change clothes on stage, love to know how its done.
'Pat' and 'Ruby' make-up artist are hilarious, and Lois, 'Dusty's life long partner is brilliant,(which reflects at the end of the show when taking her bow, gets lots of cheers, a little twist at the end of the relationship there.
The '70's and the bad times are difficult to watch 'Dusty being fleeced by acquaintences and the scene with Kiki Dee' having to tell 'Dusty' she got the duet with Elton John, all made up of course, it was not supposed to have happened like that, but if it did the acting captures the mood and I enjoyed 'Kiki's part,throughout the show and glad she was in it.
As the show progresses, for those that have followed Dusty's career from the beginning might find it odd that the songs are not sung in chronological order, but sung to fit in with the storyline, for instance, Stay Awhile sung at the end of the 70's when the relationship ended.
We then get to the 80's and 'Dusty's' return to Britain. She glides onto the stage, and oh my goodness, spooky or what, singing What Have I Done To Deserve This', the hair, the clothes just spot on, it was like the real thing, sent shivers down my spine.
The closing scenes, be warned for those going to see it, you will cry I promise you that, the man sitting a couple of seats up from me was openly sobbing, which wasn't helping me with my little meltdown as I could hear him.
Then to make things better, out glides 'Dusty' singing YDHTSYLM. The beautiful gown, the hair, mannerisms, the singing, absolutely stunning and of course a well deserved standing ovation which seemed to go on forever.
Then they all take their bows.' Lois' gets lots of cheers and so do 'Pat and 'Ruby', but unfortunately because of the part 'Kay' played rather lukewarm, a shame really as the actress was brilliant.
When I found out Kathryn wasn't there at the earlier performance I booked again for the evening show, I thought I can't go home without seeing her, but unfortunately had a limited view really as was up in the gods, and couldn't see her face properly.
Also it is worth going twice because the show is fast moving and long and there were bits where I was thinking oh I don't remember that bit.
All in all, great, loved it and glad I went.
Will it get to the West End? Dunno, not expert enough to say.
I've probably missed large chunks out as difficult to remember all of it, and also was panicking as well in case I got timed out again so was saving virtually each paragraph and also cannot review like the experts do so you got the Jennifer way.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby wally » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 am

Great review Jennifer!
Thankyou x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby pat.dunham » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am

Thank you, Jennifer, for your great, marathon, review. I do so hope the show makes it to the London area. The West End would be great but as always you have to wait for a theatre. :thumbsup:
On saying "marathon" I meant your patience at sticking to the task and re-writing! Thanks again! :bravo:
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:08 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a brilliant review! I’ll see it in Salford in two weeks, and I’m really looking forward to it, though I have to admit that I dread the low points in Dusty’s life. Not necessarily how they are portrayed on stage, everyone seems to be okay with that, but it’s such a shame that so much talent was going to waste. :cry:

My secret plan is to see the show once more in the evening if Kingsley doesn’t appear on the matinee I’m going to see, but I’ll decide that on the day. If there are any tickets left, I might go twice anyway LOL. [whistle]

I feel thoroughly prepared now, meaning that my luggage will mainly consist of tissues, but it seems everyone agrees that this is the show we’ve all been waiting for. [yahoo]

Thanks again for your effort, Jennifer, it’s greatly appreciated! <3
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am

Yes thanks for this great Review Jennifer , definitely enjoyed it , and hope all those going soon have a great time too .. Yes we need to know where else it will be .. if doing so well could be in many areas hope so . :thumbsup: :note:
karen
I only want to be with you
I only want to be with you

Postby trek007 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for your review Jennifer.
It's good to read all the different takes on the show.
Some of us are going to a matinee in Salford so I hope we get to see Katherine. I feel it should be advertised beforehand if the understudy is taking on the main role.
So crossing fingers.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby donellac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Jennifer,

Thanks for your review, it is very detailed and is complimentary to what appears to be an excellent production.

I am disturbed though with the way Dusty's mum is portrayed, as you say:

'Mrs O'Brien' sweeps in asking for gin, very critical about 'Dusty', harshly so I thought, which is a thread which runs throughout the play, these days would be called mental abuse I think. 'Dusty' gets the blame for the split with the Springfields.'

My feeling is that it is very wrong to portray Kay O'Brien as poisonous. I don't believe she was and it is character assasination! She not only has a son still living but several nephews and nieces too. But, more importantly, this characterisation goes to the heart of the Dusty story that is presented in this musical. Does it claim that her mother was vile and destructively critical of Dusty? Does it present the narrative that her mother's treatment of Dusty was the cause of her demons? If it does then that is very wrong. Mother daughter relationships are very complex and it is simplistic to present Kay O'Brien as a monster!

I am sure that the acting in this show is excellent and the production values are very high but does that make it ok to present Dusty's mum in this way? There are some small discrepancies - Vic Billings having written YDHTSYLM, showing Dusty smoking at RSG. But these are minor compared to the treatment of her mother.

I want to thank everyone else who has contributed a review for the show.
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

PreviousNext

Return to Don't Forget About Me