Yet another script being written.

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Yet another script being written.

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 pm

There seems to be yet another proposed film about Dusty in the planning. The interesting thing about this one is that Oscar nominated screenwriter, (for 'Carol'), Phyllis Nagy is the one working on it. Whether it will come to anything is anyone's guess but I wonder which week they will focus on?! Number 9 Films is also a well respected organisation.

Nagy received an Oscar nomination last week for Best Adapted Screenplay for Carol. She also wrote and directed the HBO film Mrs. Harris, which earned 12 Emmy nominations including Outstanding Made for Television Movie, as well as writing and directing nominations for Nagy. She is currently working on two new film adaptations — The Trap, a novel by Melanie Raabe, for TriStar; and The Luneburg Variation, a novel by Paolo Maurensig, for Colin Firth’s production company. Nagy is also writing an original screenplay, Middle Of Somewhere, about a week in the life of Dusty Springfield for Number 9 Films and Studio Canal.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Re: Yet another script being written.

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:45 pm

MiddleOfSomewhere.jpg
Well actually I think this sounds like one for Dusty-fans to root for - of course it does depend what week will be the focus but it seems to me unlikely the focus would be on seven of Dusty's darker days. I'm somewhat puzzled that the project description on the official Number 9 Films site - cut & pasted above - doesn't corroborate the one-week focus: perhaps Ms Nagy only honed her project's focus some time into its development & the Number 9 site hasn't been updated to reflect this. I personally would hope any Dusty biopic would be "fantastic & wild" in the sense of capturing the energy of the Swingin' 60s but I realize that phrase might concern fans who fear a biopic might sensationalize Dusty's private life.

Any road - assuming this project will focus on a single week, anyone care to guess what we'd be seeing? If Dusty's hit In the Middle of Nowhere is in fact relevant time-wise then we're talking about a week in the summer of 1965 that being when the single charted- altho my impression is that said period didn't see Dusty kicking up a lot of dust!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Douggie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 am

Sweetbaby wrote:
MiddleOfSomewhere.jpg
Well actually I think this sounds like one for Dusty-fans to root for - of course it does depend what week will be the focus but it seems to me unlikely the focus would be on seven of Dusty's darker days. I'm somewhat puzzled that the project description on the official Number 9 Films site - cut & pasted above - doesn't corroborate the one-week focus: perhaps Ms Nagy only honed her project's focus some time into its development & the Number 9 site hasn't been updated to reflect this. I personally would hope any Dusty biopic would be "fantastic & wild" in the sense of capturing the energy of the Swingin' 60s but I realize that phrase might concern fans who fear a biopic might sensationalize Dusty's private life.

Any road - assuming this project will focus on a single week, anyone care to guess what we'd be seeing? If Dusty's hit In the Middle of Nowhere is in fact relevant time-wise then we're talking about a week in the summer of 1965 that being when the single charted- altho my impression is that said period didn't see Dusty kicking up a lot of dust!

Hi.
I am always excited when I hear about a possible show or movie about Dusty. However I am also apprehensive
about what to expect as most of what has gone before has left a lot to be desired as far as I am concerned.
This I believe is because the people who are involved do not have anything like the full story, filling in the missing parts of her life with wild guesswork. They always seem to revert to the same old sources of information to write the show or film from. Unless they get other information from other people they will never get it right. Sadly these people are all getting older and not as keen to say too much out of love for Dusty.
Only new and different information can help this situation. I just get really frustrated when people who were not
around or apart of Dusty's life at the time continue to push certain aspects and opinions onto others believing they know all. Sadly! Dusty was not how many have us believe. There cannot be many more occasions where the story of Dusty can be right. I just hope that these current writers, producers and movies makers get it right this time, Ask the right questions of the right people and you may get the right answers. If not it will be the same as all the other projects about Dusty, an unfulfilled ad hoc story line surrounded by great songs and missing the passion of her love of music. I know that most of the Dusty supporters will love almost anything that is inspired by Dusty, but it's sad that it will only be partly true.
Hope everybody is well!!

Cheers Douggie.. <3 Dusty :thumbsup: :note:

I have always had this tag:-

And

"The Truth is STILL out There"
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby karen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:23 am

I think we are all a little apprehensive when we hear about new shows or movies about Dusty as we never really know what these people are going to concentrate on about her , not knowing her as Douggie has mentioned things are not what we want to see very often , not concentrating on her love of music , more about the difficult times , maybe Douggie you should be in touch , could help a lot , thanks for the reply here , and thanks to Carole and

sweetbaby for the posts too [:)] Not the best to read but if you click on it a little clearer .
Attachments
Quote 001.JPG
Last edited by karen on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karen
I only want to be with you
I only want to be with you

Postby daydreamer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 am

Karen has just said what I was going to say Douggie, contact the lady writing the script. If she knows anything about Dusty, she should know of you. If she doesn't, well, it could be another lost cause! Maybe you need to write about the Dusty you and people like Pat knew. Put it in print, don't leave it for someone else (yet again!) who never even met her. I definitely don't love everything inspired by Dusty, I try and see some positives but in the main I just get frustrated :roll:

I'm also confused by the one week thing as opposed to the Number 9 write up. You get the feeling that if it is based on one week, apart from South Africa, then it will just be an amalgam of bits and pieces of facts and fiction.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby pat.dunham » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Quote "A week in the life of Dusty.....a fantastic and wild take". What does this all mean?
The fact that Number 9 Films are interested could be an omen, as 9 is a significant number in Dustys' life.
1939 - Born
1949 - Last year at junior school in High Wycombe.
1959 - The Lanas, "Sitting on the back seat".
1969 - DIM
1979 - Very mixed year- cancelled UK tour-triumph at Drury Lane - OBs passing- but ending on a high at RAH.
1989 - "In Private" issued and reached 14 in charts.
1999 :rose: :rose: :rose:

If this does come to anything I doubt it would be launched until at least 2019 as Ms Nagy seems a busy lady.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:09 pm

daydreamer wrote:Karen has just said what I was going to say Douggie, contact the lady writing the script. If she knows anything about Dusty, she should know of you. If she doesn't, well, it could be another lost cause! Maybe you need to write about the Dusty you and people like Pat knew. Put it in print, don't leave it for someone else (yet again!) who never even met her. I definitely don't love everything inspired by Dusty, I try and see some positives but in the main I just get frustrated :roll:

I'm also confused by the one week thing as opposed to the Number 9 write up. You get the feeling that if it is based on one week, apart from South Africa, then it will just be an amalgam of bits and pieces of facts and fiction.

Agree with you and so Douggie, go get 'em before it all goes up the wazoo.
The quote Richard put on just says up til Dusty in Memphis so we may be lucky and it wont be any of the later stuff.
We can but hope but i alway view these things with the same Cynical trepidation.
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:41 pm

Come on Douggie...get talking to this lady, or get your book written so that the truth can be told !

That is the only way to stop all the assumptions and half truths.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Dustymike » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Please Douggie get in touch.......................lets have the REAL story about the wonderful Dust.
A book from you would be Great!!
There's a part of you that's a part of me and
no matter where I go it comes along
Dustymike
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:20 am

pat.dunham wrote: The fact that Number 9 Films are interested could be an omen, as 9 is a significant number in Dustys' life.
1939 - Born
1949 - Last year at junior school in High Wycombe.
1959 - The Lanas, "Sitting on the back seat".
1969 - DIM
1979 - Very mixed year- cancelled UK tour-triumph at Drury Lane - OBs passing- but ending on a high at RAH.
1989 - "In Private" issued and reached 14 in charts.
1999 :rose: :rose: :rose:

ImageOccurred to me that Pat's list of significant nines totaled seven: Ms Nagy's script could be of a surreal week where each day was based on each year!

Of course I don't expect that, but I'd think Ms Nagy's Dusty-week - despite the official blurb IMO there has to have been substantial grounds for that format to be reported - would have to be a melange of factors from different periods rather than an authentic recreation of an actual week as Dusty had likely lived it. And probably there'll be at least a sprinkling of benign (one hopes) fiction.

Given Ms Nagy's current high-profile being due to Carol I think some emphasis on Dusty's intimate life - inevitable anyway - is especially inevitable. But as I understand it there's nothing sleazy about Carol. And Dusty's fans seem to have enjoyed the recent bio-musical which was overt about Dusty's relationships with other women.

I don't mean to dismiss anyone's concerns but IMO it's unlikely that any biopic has ever presented anyone exactly as they truly were. I'll be happy with a Dusty biopic which evokes what the film-makers see as her essence, as long a the film-makers' heads are in a good space - & from what I've read of Ms Nagy she wouldn't bother with a subject where her head was not.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:56 pm

Fingers crossed, it could be good

R [:)] B
Rob
Administrator
Administrator

Postby smallworld » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:54 pm

<Double Post>
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 pm

ImageWell - I figured this project had long joined umpteen or so previous Dusty screen biopics in limbo but the announcement of Claudia Yusef as Number 9 Films new head of development does state: "Number 9 is currently in development on Dusty Springfield pic So Much Love, written by Phyllis Nagy". You can view the source at https://www.screendaily.com/news/number ... 92.article but there's no details as to the project's current state of development.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:09 pm

I can't believe I wrote that first post on here and then two plus years later I don't remember a single thing about it! This week I would have said I hadn't previously heard of Phyllis Nagy writing a script. Help needed :shock:

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Join the club Carole, I dont remember writing on this either...... :crazy: :what?: [:o] [whistle]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:27 pm

I'll believe it when I see it.

Agree on Douggie doing something, now, how long did the gag order concerning That Book mean to last until? Did it affect him in any way?

I'm trying to be over all this...just wanna remember Dusty how I want to not some fairweather friend or other leeches and vultures.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Return to Don't Forget About Me