aretha's live cover of MIXED UP GIRL

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

aretha's live cover of MIXED UP GIRL

Postby neilallenuk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Good even to ya gang!

Just found this performance on youtube circa 1971 - what are your thoughts?

Always love contrasting Dusty's song interpretations to other singers :)

Neil x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m06V3joGows
neilallenuk
Little by little
Little by little

Re: aretha's live cover of MIXED UP GIRL

Postby Douggie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:21 am

Hi

Just thought I'd post the Thelma Houston version of Mixed up girl. This is the version that we copied when doing Dusty's version. I still have the vinyl LP in my record collection. A great album most songs were written by Jim Webb who happened to be her boy friend at the time also doing the arrangements and production. Dusty just loved this album as did I one of my favourite albums great songs, arrangements and production of course.
enjoy.

Cheers Doug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwwXI6tiLd0
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby SweMaria » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:36 am

I really like Aretha's live version of Mixed Up Girl! :note: !
Thanks for posting Neil!

It's so interesting to read your posts here Douggie! :thumbsup:
I can understand that you had been listening to Thelma Houston's version when you did the song together with Dusty.

I love the way you did Dusty's version!! I think it's even more rhythmic with both congas and drums and the piano rhythm there too. It couldn't be easy to do this.. :pensive: You are also playing the rhythm much faster than they did on Thelma Huoston's version. Are you playing the bass here?

I really love this tune and Dusty's singing of course!! :note: :note: :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting here Douggie! :thumbsup:
I think it's fantastic to be able to communicate with You who played and arranged songs together with Dusty!! :yes:
Last edited by SweMaria on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't get you out of my heart" - Since I Fell For You
SweMaria
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby pat.dunham » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:58 pm

We've had Aretha and Thelma's version - well listen to Dusty and Douggie!

I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby FionaJ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:46 pm

pat.dunham wrote:We've had Aretha and Thelma's version - well listen to Dusty and Douggie!

That's the one for me Pat, love it!! <3 :note: :star: <3 :note: :star: <3
Fiona x

"Don't call it love
- Heavens above"
FionaJ
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Douggie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:33 am

SweMaria wrote:I really like Aretha's live version of Mixed Up Girl! :note: !
Thanks for posting Neil!

It's so interesting to read your posts here Douggie! :thumbsup:
I can understand that you had been listening to Thelma Houston's version when you did the song together with Dusty.

I love the way you did Dusty's version!! I think it's even more rhythmic with both congas and drums and the piano rhythm there too. It couldn't be easy to do this.. :pensive: You are also playing the rhythm much faster than they did on Thelma Huoston's version. Are you playing the bass here?

I really love this tune and Dusty's singing of course!! :note: :note: :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting here Douggie! :thumbsup:
I think it's fantastic to be able to communicate with You who played and arranged songs together with Dusty!! :yes:

Hi SweMaria

I would love to say that I did this with Dusty however I never did. I spent hours and hours going through records with Dusty finding things that she liked and didn't like. Some she used on stage with The Echoes others for television/Radio shows and others songs she wanted to record sometime. There were songs she liked that were later hits for her and others that were hits but not by her. She really could pick great songs. Dusty used lots of arrangers for her records which would have depended on what style of song it was. "Mixed up Girl" was arranged by Peter Knight who did many things for Dusty produced of course by Johnny Franz. Peter Knight also did" What are you doing for the rest of your life" , "Yesterday when I was Young" and others for Dusty as well as things for The Walker Brothers and The Moody Blues. A very talented musician. No I never played bass on this track. When I moved to Australia I did do an arrangement and played on a version of this song that I did for a very good New Zealand girl singer called Allison Durbin. Allison was living in Melbourne and one of the top female singers at the time. Did many arrangements for her over a number of years. She would have been very successful had she had gone to England as against Australia in 1969. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I did play Dusty some of her recordings who thought she was really good.

Cheers Douggie <3 Dusty <3 :note: :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby FionaJ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for this very interesting read Douggie :thumbsup:

I love reading your posts....they are very much appreciated :yes:
Fiona x

"Don't call it love
- Heavens above"
FionaJ
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby SweMaria » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Thank you so much for answering Douggie! [:)]
It's really interesting to read all the information that you give here about your work together with Dusty ! Being Swedish, I'm not able to write as much as I would like to do here in the English language.. Because it takes too long time for me to create the sentences :oops: [:)]
Aha, so Peter Knight arranged this song and it was produced by Johnny Franz .. I might have read that in Paul Howes' book. Anyway it is a fantastic song and I love the rhythmic arrangement. Yes, Peter Knight was a great musician!
I went on Youtube and listened to a few songs with the New Zealand singer, Allison Durbin, you've mentioned here.
I think she was good! :note:
I couldn't find her version of "Mixed Up Girl", with you on the bass , on youtube though...

Thanks again for answering!! [:)] :thumbsup: :note: :note:
"I can't get you out of my heart" - Since I Fell For You
SweMaria
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Douggie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:52 am

SweMaria wrote:Thank you so much for answering Douggie! [:)]
It's really interesting to read all the information that you give here about your work together with Dusty ! Being Swedish, I'm not able to write as much as I would like to do here in the English language.. Because it takes too long time for me to create the sentences :oops: [:)]
Aha, so Peter Knight arranged this song and it was produced by Johnny Franz .. I might have read that in Paul Howes' book. Anyway it is a fantastic song and I love the rhythmic arrangement. Yes, Peter Knight was a great musician!
I went on Youtube and listened to a few songs with the New Zealand singer, Allison Durbin, you've mentioned here.
I couldn't find her version of "Mixed Up Girl", with you on the bass , on youtube though...

Hi SweMaria

JAG kommer att få mitt inlägg översatt på svenska för dig. Min dotter i lag är från Norge.
Jag hoppas att det är ok för dig, även om alla andra inte förstår vad jag har skrivit.

Tack vare Douggie. :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby neilallenuk » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:00 am

Hey Douggie!

Great to hear more insights - so just outta interest which songs were u involved in recording?

Would really REALLY love to read about any of your memories/experiences in recording any of the tracks. How a typical session with Dusty would begin, how she ran the session if she was prooducing....how she would communictae with the session musicians - you know just EVERYTHING lol - what happened/what was it like working in a studio with her...!!!!

I dated a guy years ago who was contracted by Universal to remaster and assemble a limited edition box set for one of Universals artists. He said he was able to access some of Dusty's album track outtakes and spent a few hours listening for the studio talk at the end of each take...he said more often than not if she didnt seem to be happy she would just ...."again....." or "lets go again" calmly and directly, almost a second or two after the musicians had finished doing the fade out - he said you could almost hear the focus and drive in her voice, pushing herself for absolute perfection.

Hope your well down under, is it summer for you guys now or autumn, i'm sure someone said when we have our winters its your summer (?!?!?!) Is that right?

Hope your well, Neil x
neilallenuk
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Douggie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:05 am

SweMaria wrote:Thank you so much for answering Douggie! [:)]

I know I know!! This was from a couple of years ago, But just further information. Someone has now posted quite a few tracks of Allison Durbin on Youtube with one of them being her version of "Mixed Up Girl". This track together with a few other from this album were Arranged by me, I also play bass on them. Record was Produced by Howard Gable we are still good mates. Hope you like this version slightly different from Dusty's version. "Mixed Up Girl" by Allison Durbin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3OOPivF3_k

Cheers Douggie :thumbsup: <3 :note:

Yes Neil that is right, but now very cold where I live..D
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby pat.dunham » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Sadly, Douggie, your version of Mixed Up Girl is not playable in UK. I don't know if there is a way round this, maybe one of our techies on the board have an idea. [:(]
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Douggie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:51 am

pat.dunham wrote:Sadly, Douggie, your version of Mixed Up Girl is not playable in UK. I don't know if there is a way round this, maybe one of our techies on the board have an idea. [:(]

Hi
This is from YouTube. Maybe the sites are not the same throughout the World.
They normally work, but maybe that is the case being a different country.
I hope somebody can work it out. I did see that there is a closed padlock at the start
of the address bar, maybe that means that the track is locked or something like that.
Come on Techies do your stuff!!! :crazy:

Cheers Douggie :thumbsup: <3 :note:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby countrycake » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:09 am

pat.dunham wrote:Sadly, Douggie, your version of Mixed Up Girl is not playable in UK. I don't know if there is a way round this, maybe one of our techies on the board have an idea. [:(]

I managed to find this video on You Tube in the UK. However, when I tried to open it, I got the same message as Pat, ie that the uploader had not made it available for this territory, ie UK.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:54 am

countrycake wrote:

I managed to find this video on You Tube in the UK. However, when I tried to open it, I got the same message as Pat, ie that the uploader had not made it available for this territory, ie UK.

Hi countrycake

That's a shame, well you tried.
Maybe I may try and think of something else.

Thank you cheers

Douggie :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:34 am

Download the Opera Browser - it has a built-in VPN which allows you to mask your location and play videos that are blocked.

Go into settings and enable the VPN function. The VPN symbol will be in the address bar on the left. Click it, turn the VPN on and at the bottom set the region you want. The browser and VPN are both free.

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:03 am

Hi Douggie:

I love the arrangement you did - and on the fourth listen I'm coming around to the vocal. She's a bit Tammy Wynette for my taste, but she does grow on you. Hope all is well.

Love,
Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby darren2722 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Some great versions of one of my fave Dusty tunes, and some great insights Thanks Douggie, Maria and everyone.

It's not the same vid, but its the same song Jim and Pat. Hope it works for all viewers in all countries.
I Couldn't Ask For More
darren2722
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Douggie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:47 am

IWannaBeABluesSinger wrote:Hi Douggie:

I love the arrangement you did - and on the fourth listen I'm coming around to the vocal. She's a bit Tammy Wynette for my taste, but she does grow on you. Hope all is well.

Love,
Maggie

Hi Maggie

Hope you are keeping fine, it's been awhile.
Yes Allison was from New Zealand and a bit country.
She did a lot of records here in Australia in the country style.
She could actually sing in many styles.
I did many arrangements for some of her records.
Some are on Youtube also.
She was going to Britain at one time, but plans changed
when she had a baby.
I hope others on LTD use the app you did.

Cheers Douggie
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music