If it hadn’t been for....

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

If it hadn’t been for....

Postby Carole R. » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Thought it would be an idea to have ‘If it hadn’t been for..’ as a topic.
My contribution would be ,If It hadn’t been; For getting a computer 18/ 19 years ago,and looking for everything Dusty ( after her untimely death)and then joining a Dusty forum, I never would have met some great people and made so many friends over these past years..
What say you ? :pensive: xx
"Nothing is forever, always is a dream."
Carole R.
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Re: If it hadn’t been for....

Postby wally » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm

If it hadn't been for Dick Emery....and that trio that used to sing on his show that I became totally besotted with....but have no regrets all theses years later. Have wonderful memories along the way from the first time I saw her live and touched her 18th November 1964 to the very last time I saw her at the Pebble Mill Recording....Dick you have a lot to answer for .....You were awful but I like it.....x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby humboldt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Carole, we must have got our first PC's around the same time. I'm thankful for this and my Motown sites as I've made many friends over the years and the connection is music which makes the world go round. I never cared for the Springfields and as a 10 year old I used to wonder what that silly woman was doing singing daft songs with those two men on the likes of the Billy Cotton Band Show etc! Then she left them and the rest is history.
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cas19 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:30 am

If it hadn't been for my love of Dusty and being obsessed with looking/buying all the music papers to find articles about her...I would never have written letters about her to the papers , so therefore would not have got intouch with fans like Carole G , Eileen, Dawn to name just a few. Totally changed my life. Thank you to everyone, thank you Dusty.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Welcome back Carole R, haven't seen you on here in a while [:)] If it hadn't been for Dusty, I'd be a different person. She influenced me massively in my early years, be it clothes, make up, pen pals, thoughts and ideas, music etc (what she liked, I listened to). Like Cas, I made friends through the music papers and the fan club and travelled as much as I could to shows around the country. Dusty stayed in my life in a lesser way when she went away but never left it. I still have some of those old friends but then with the internet age, came all the new friends, so Dusty keeps on giving.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Hooray its Carole R...... [yahoo]
If it hadnt been for my first computer I wouldnt have found LTD and come to Dusty day etc etc, it was and is so good to meet fellow Dusty fans and also share our other music loves etc :dig:
I first found Dusty as a young girl way back in those Springfield days when she stood forward from those boys and sang " high in the sky is a bird on the wing, please carry me with you"
well she has carried me with her ever since. :star:
The best voice it filled my soul with such joy, I loved her from that moment on. [ear]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Carole R. » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:26 pm

If there was a ‘Like ‘ button for these replies, I would press it ! [:)]
Come on you other folks, you must all have a tale to tell ! [;)] xx
Carole R.
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby thc@c » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Yes indeedy - like, like, like, lots! Thank you!
I have been a fan since my early teens right from the days of The Springfields, whose music I still enjoy!
Have also always loved Dusty, even though my school art teacher accused me of being "seduced by the gramophone" when she noticed all my early drawings of Dusty in my art folder!!
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby trek007 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:31 pm

If it hadn't been for our small black and white television where I first watch The Springfields and loved the girl singing in this group it would have taken me a little longer to discover Dusty.
I followed her from that point onwards through radio and TV albums etc.
When I too acquired a computer after her sad passing I googled Dusty and found various sites and made lots of new friends lots of whom I have met.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby darren2722 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Great idea Carole. [8D]

Will split the answer into four. If It Hadn't Been for 1) My parents for having good taste, and having the good sense to have a This Is Dusty Springfield LP in their collection. 2. The Pet Shop Boys for getting Dusty interested in making music again, so I could hear In Private on commercial radio. 3) My Brother in law for burning me a Dusty compilation. 4. Lets Talk Dusty, YouTube and facebook confirming what I should have known at the time of the previous three reasons, that Dusty demands your (my) full attention.
I Couldn't Ask For More
darren2722
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Carole R. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Another one : [;)]
If it hadn’t been for Dusty, I would never,ever have visited the beautiful Henley On Thames.Knowing that Dusty spent her final years in and around that gorgeous town and of course visiting her Marker has taken me there at least a dozen times since her death..It has also been a lovely and regular meeting place for Dustys loyal fans who tend to the Marker and leave a loving tribute of their own.

Carole R.x
Carole R.
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Hampson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 am

If it hadn't been for Dusty I wouldn't have met all my wonderful Dusty friends, I wouldn't have gotten back into music 12 years ago, and art too. (Dusty is inspiring still long after the night is over). I wouldn't have been to the wonderful city of Manchester for meet ups, or visited the beautiful market town of Henley. Wouldn't have met all the lovely American and Australian Dusty fans that turn up year after year. AND I might never have had a boufant hairstyle if it hadn't been for Dusty, even though I didn't realise it at the time.

Wend
Hampson
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sue » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 am

If it hadn't been for the 1963 clip of Dusty dancing under a spotlight, although I was only six at the time I still realised what a wonderful voice I was hearing , but obviously, at that age, not able to articulate what I was feeling, it was several years later when I really started to get into her , I forgot all about that clip until I saw it on YouTube when I first got a laptop in 08/09.
So, it's been a bit of an acceleration of everything telly, YouTube, the forum :crazy:

Sue xx
Sue
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Return to Don't Forget About Me