Nancy Wilson 1937-2018

Great Music--Other Than Dusty's.

Nancy Wilson 1937-2018

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:31 am

NancyWilson.jpg
NancyWilson.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Sad to report that Nancy Wilson, one of America's first ladies of song, passed away Thursday at age 81; a detailed biography and appreciation may be viewed here: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/obit ... inger.html

A devotee of r&b queen Dinah Washington, Nancy herself was sometimes dismissed as a supper club soul chanteuse: however Natalie Cole was just the first high-profile Pop/Soul singer to cite Nancy as an influence, with subsequent admiration being expressed by Patti Austin, Anita Baker, Regina Belle and Randy Crawford among others. Nancy covered several of Dusty's songs including SOAPM - in fact Nancy was also on the bill for the November 1968 Ed Sullivan broadcast when Dusty performed that song but unfortunately there was no collaboration between the two guest stars, Nancy like Dusty singing her current single which in Nancy's case was Face It Girl It's Over one of Nancy's two Top 40 hits (the other How Glad I Am becoming one of Kiki Dee's signature songs).

While IMHO Nancy put her own sterling stamp on Dusty's songs I'd prefer to salute her here with a 1993 live performance of her version of I Can't Make You Love Me:
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Re: Nancy Wilson 1937-2018

Postby trek007 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:48 am

A singing legend.
May she R I P
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:47 pm

:rose: I was crossing my local mall's parking lot this morning when I heard Nancy's unmistakable tones on the tannoy singing a Christmas song I thought sounded as if it should be a lot more familiar than it was. Turns out it's Nancy's take on The Christmas Waltz a song written in 1953 for Frank Sinatra by Sammy Cahn and Jules Styne: when lyricist Cahn opined it to be unwise to introduce a new seasonal number so soon after Irving Berlin's White Christmas, Styne pointed out: "Frank wants a Christmas song!"

Any road - I thought it would be a nice way to send seasonal cheer to my board buds by posting Nancy's rendition in this video which features album cover shots plus some other pix of Nancy:
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby humboldt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Nancy's 'How Glad I Am' is still on my favs playlist.

humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Return to The Other Side of Life