The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Postby countrycake » Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Real Gone Music are issuing a third and, they say, possibly final compilation of Dusty material under the title The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me (Expanded Edition) on 7 July.

It is a single CD with 17 tracks, made up of the 10 tracks from the US album A Brand New Me plus 6 tracks which have been released before in various forms plus one track which is seeing the light of day for the first time. That is listed by the company as Sweet Charlie, though Paul Howes' book lists the title as Sweet Charlie Babe.

Amazon UK have the CD listed at £19.14. Here is a link to the relevant page of Real Gone Music's site:

http://www.realgonemusic.com/display/Search?searchQuery=dusty+springfield&moduleId=11385503&moduleFilter=&categoryFilter=&startAt=0

When you get to that page, scroll down to the entry for 2017-07-07, which is flagged DS and Keely Smith. When you click on it, it will download to your computer a detailed page about the forthcoming CD.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Postby jennifer49 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Ta Jim, new nothing about 'Sweet Charlie Babe. Just listened to Jackie Moore's version
on YouTube, quite like it but can't wait to hear Dusty's version.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue May 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Took the liberty - Philly pun there (think about it) - of uploading the item here: click to enlarge.
DustyPhillySessions.PNG

It's mind-blowing that Sweet Charlie [Babe] is being released: it's been generally held (as stated in Paul Howes' Complete Dusty Springfield) that "Sigma used the same tapes for Jackie Moore's version [having Jackie] record her vocal over Dusty's." As I've mentioned on this board I've read online posts by MFSB guitarist Bobby Eli that he played on the backing track for Dusty's Charlie and later played on a distinct track for Jackie's version, but I assumed that even if not sacrificed for Jackie's version Dusty's vocal must have been lost some other way not to have surfaced for five decades. I recall disco dancing to Jackie's version, and while I don't imagine Dusty's version could have been a hit - her early 70s profile was extremely low and she wouldn't have received R&B radio support as did Jackie - IMHO the song should suit Dusty's voice much more than Jackie's. (Even allowing for Dusty's version being shelved if not scrapped I'd have thought Sweet Charlie Babe would have been reassigned to a poppier Philly act such as the Three Degrees rather than the earthy-sounding Jackie.)
Last edited by Sweetbaby on Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby countrycake » Wed May 10, 2017 9:04 am

Sweetbaby, thanks for downloading the Real Gone Music webpage. I tried to do this last night, but when the download had not completed after 15 minutes, I gave up and opted for the hyperlink instead.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Duster » Wed May 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Final? But they haven't released Longing on vinyl yet! Still, this is great news!
-Mike
Duster
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Corinna » Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 pm

[:o] [:o] Mindblowing indeed! Thanks for this find, Jim and Richard!

Sounds indeed like a song that suits Dusty to a T. Of course I'll put my order in... :yes:

Though I hope this quote doesn't mean they've removed the lovely 'clearing her throat in tune' sound from Let's Get Together Soon: 'former iterations of this material have not been sonically quite up to snuff,' :?
Attachments
brandnewmeexp.png
brandnewmeexp.png (338.68 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby boztiggs » Wed May 10, 2017 8:01 pm

well well well, the surprises never cease!! Cant wait to get my hands on this one!!
boztiggs
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Cas19 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:58 am

How amazing can't wait to hear this. Thank you.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 am

What a lovely surprise! This may possibly be the final release planned by Real Gone but I really hope it's not the last 'lost' recording that's ever found and released. I still yearn to hear the slow version of 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow', which it's been said is still in existence.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Graham2010 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 am

Would love to YGAF slow version....................I Have it in the back of my mind that when Vicky was New York correspondent for Melody Maker (early 70's) she made comment that Dusty had recorded YGAF and Up on the roof and these were the best versions............does anyone else recall this? Bearing in mind Dusty featured UONTR extensively on TV shows around that time.....................maybe or not................maybe I am going mad.
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby AGirlCalledHannah » Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 am

This is brilliant news! I have just put my order in. Looking forward to the release [:D]
Hannah x

If time were not a moving thing, and I could make it stay.
AGirlCalledHannah
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby edjames » Thu May 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Would love to hear the backstory of this find. Where was the track located and why was it overlooked/lost in the past?

ED
edjames
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby humboldt » Thu May 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Will be ordering a copy of course :yes:
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby darren2722 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Awesome news. :bravo: Thanks Jim. :yes:
I Couldn't Ask For More
darren2722
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby DustyDanny » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Great news! I always thought the original album sounded a bit muddy so hopefully this new release will sound a bit better. Even better is the inclusion of Sweet Charlie Babe - like a lot of others I thought that track had been lost.
DustyDanny
Little by little
Little by little

Postby daydreamer » Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 am

I've spoken with Paul Howes and re Sweet Charlie, it is actually a different song. Although logs have always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe. After all, what would be the chances of two Philly songs having almost identical titles, especially with the words 'Sweet Charlie'. So now we can look forward to a total surprise :) Also he confirmed that Something For Nothing will have strings! [:)]

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Corinna » Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 am

That's absolutely amazing news! July 7 can't come soon enough! [yahoo]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby humboldt » Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 pm

daydreamer wrote:I've spoken with Paul Howes and re Sweet Charlie, it is actually a different song. Although logs have always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe. After all, what would be the chances of two Philly songs having almost identical titles, especially with the words 'Sweet Charlie'. So now we can look forward to a total surprise :) Also he confirmed that Something For Nothing will have strings! [:)]

Oh Carole, that's great news thanks. I never actually liked the Jackie Moore song [:D] X
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby trek007 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Looking forward to this...with or without "babe"! [;)]
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 am

daydreamer wrote:I've spoken with Paul Howes and re Sweet Charlie, it is actually a different song. Although logs have always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe. After all, what would be the chances of two Philly songs having almost identical titles, especially with the words 'Sweet Charlie'. So now we can look forward to a total surprise :) Also he confirmed that Something For Nothing will have strings! [:)]

[:o] Thanks for the info Carole and it's fantastic that Dusty's Sweet Charlie is seeing the light of day.It's certainly a surprise that it's not the Jackie Moore hit Sweet Charlie Babe - and presumably a surprise to Mr Howes as his Complete Dusty Springfield unconditionally equates the Sweet Charlies recorded by Dusty and Jackie. Can Paul tip us off as to the authorship of Dusty's Charlie?

BTW while I wouldn't imagine a Dusty version of Sweet Charlie Babe as opposed to Sweet Charlie would - apart from featuring Dusty's fabulous voice - be any kind of overlooked gem I still maintain Sweet Charlie Babe would have suited Dusty's frothier voice more than Jackie's earthier tones. I realize it's neither here nor there now - just sayin'...
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby smallworld » Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Remixed from the multi-tracks? That's exciting to hear. People talk about the big Atlantic fire that destroyed many multi tracks - perhaps the multis from the Philadelphia sessions were stored in Philadelphia. Was the album recorded on 16-track? I hope they give the remixes a big centre (e.g. centre the drums rather than panning them mostly to one channel), akin to the Jeff Barry sessions.

It's wonderful that a lost track ("Sweet Charlie") has been found - that will probably be the biggest selling point of this set for fans.
Last edited by smallworld on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Duster » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:55 pm

smallworld wrote:I hope they give the remixes a big centre (e.g. centre the drums rather than panning them mostly to one channel), akin to the Jeff Barry sessions.

I too noticed a considerable amount of "hard-panning" when I listened to my copy a few weeks ago. Not as bad as some stuff from the '50s-'60s, but still... I bet that's what they found "not quite up to snuff."

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the revised running order. The original was just fine.
-Mike
Duster
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 pm

ImageClick to read Paste magazine's review of the complete Philly sessions: includes a teaser about Sweet Charlie.https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... hil-1.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Corinna » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:51 pm

What a great read, thanks for posting, Richard! I'm so curious to hear Sweet Charlie! Not long now!
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby countrycake » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:37 am

Overnight Amazon UK has increased the price of this item from £19.28 to £25.37.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Graham2010 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:19 am

Typical Amazon email says release delayed until August!...............are they pulling a fat one to sell later at higher price?
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Corinna » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:08 pm

I've received my copy! Ordered it directly from Real Gone: https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products ... essions-cd at $12.98 (I'm in the U.S. right now, so I guess the price is converted automatically).

Sweet Charlie is a lovely little song, not a hit by any means, but a beautiful little jewel. Having been lost for so long makes listening to it even more precious. It's a song that fits the style of the whole album perfectly, so if you haven't heard it, you have something to look forward to.
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smallworld » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Corinna wrote:I've received my copy! Ordered it directly from Real Gone: https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products ... essions-cd at $12.98 (I'm in the U.S. right now, so I guess the price is converted automatically).

Sweet Charlie is a lovely little song, not a hit by any means, but a beautiful little jewel. Having been lost for so long makes listening to it even more precious. It's a song that fits the style of the whole album perfectly, so if you haven't heard it, you have something to look forward to.

Glad to hear Sweet Charlie is not a dud. Did any of the remixing of the previously released tracks jump out at you upon listening or is it subtle? Have they centred the drums or are they still mainly in one channel?
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Corinna » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 am

I only ever listen on my computer, so you're asking the wrong person! :oops: [ear]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frans » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Got my copy. Nearly every song has a noticeable longer fadeout:

Knipsel4.JPG
canards, canaux, canailles
Frans
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cas19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 am

I've had my copy a few days now and I think its just amazing to hear the longer fade outs. I think the whole cd stands out, the tracks are so clear. It makes me wonder if there could be more to come in the way of funny out takes from the same sessions? How wonderful that would be.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Dustymike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 am

I still wait for the "throat clearing" on the "Let's Get Together" track.How sad is that??
There's a part of you that's a part of me and
no matter where I go it comes along
Dustymike
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby jennifer49 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Not sad at all Mike, I love listening to her footsteps on Soft Core from her White Heat Album

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby countrycake » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Today Amazon UK is charging £57.01 for this CD!
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Graham2010 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:41 am

Amazon are crafty..................I ordered my copy ages ago.

I was informed delayed until August
Then it was available but my card had been declined (funny as I purchased other items recently) so put in another card and BINGO.............and CD arrived yesterday.............maybe they hoped I would cancel and have to re order at the higher price.

Love the longer fade outs and the remix with certain instruments more to the fore.

Charlie is an OK song but all tracks 12 to 17 are complicated songs musically and Dusty , of course, meets the challenge superbly...Imagine Cilla trying these!

A must have for all us fans.
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Graham2010 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 am

Just wanted to add...Something for Nothing chorus is annoying cannot get it out of my head...............be great to be sampled on a rap track
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Marco » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:06 am

Ordered mine from here a few days ago

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/the-complete-phi ... 8064006077

I've used them before - things can take a little while to arrive but I've never had a problem with them and they are much cheaper than Amazon UK for these kind of US releases.
Marco
I start counting

Postby pat.dunham » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Sadly "wowhd" out of stock. Great price £13.90. Wonder what price it will be when re-stocked , if ever ?
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Marco » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi Pat

It was backordered when I ordered it too. Then it came in and they obviously sold the few they had at that point (including the one that's on it's way to me). I don't think they hold lots of stock - and Amazon have also been out of stock a couple of times since the release - as has even Real Gone's own site.

They don't charge you till it's despatched so you've nothing to lose by ordering it now at that price - it just might take a bit longer than ordering from Amazon. Anyhoo, just thought a few might find it helpful. Amazon is getting more and more expensive for less popular items now that they've seen off so much of the competition that it's always worth shopping around the other sellers that are still hanging in there.
Marco
I start counting

Postby Marco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:44 am

Apols - I think they do charge you when you order but I always use Paypal so if there are any problems (I've never had any) you can always recover the money. They take about 2-3 weeks from despatch to delivery (I presume they use surface mail to keep costs down). I've got several of the Real Gone issues (including the Dusty ones) and always several quid cheaper than Amazon.
Marco
I start counting

Postby Clive » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 am

Got mine on Tuesday(from Amazon) Really amazed by it , sounds so good and I love the extended fades (thanks Frans for the timings above)

For me it has got to be the most exciting Dusty CD release since Beautiful Soul in 2001.

So amazing to hear Sweet Charlie 47 years after Dusty recorded it, her voice is so good on it.

Brand New Me is one of my favourite Dusty albums anyway and this version is just wonderful.

Just wondering why the decision to change the original LP running order? Not a problem for me though I think it works fine this way.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby trek007 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:11 am

Mine came yesterday.
I have to say that it's brilliant. The clarity of orchestra and her voice and the longer fade outs are wonderful.

Buy this if you haven't already [:)]

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Marco » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:41 am

Mine just arrived (from WOWHD). Listening now. The lack of reverb around Dusty's voice took me back for a second but, once I got used to it, it's wondeful to hear her so clearly. The extra length fade outs are brilliant. I wonder if there are 'longer' versions of the Cameo tracks. It always pains me that Breakin' Up A Happy Home always seems to disappear just as Dusty's really getting going!
Marco
I start counting

Postby wally » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm

A word of warning for anyone still looking to purchase The Philadelphia Sessions. I bought mine on Amazon UK for £15.78 from movie mars uk. I assumed that this was a UK trading company and was charged the normal £1.26 postage. I have today had a customs charge of £12 to pay before it will be delivered. Delivery now due on Friday! There is no such thing as a bargain! X
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby pat.dunham » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks Wally for your warning on possible tax payment. I have purchased my CD thru Amazon , but a German seller. It has been dispatched but not yet received - I await with baited breath to see if I will be liable [:o]
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby DustyDanny » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:27 pm

I received my copy today and I too am really impressed with these new mixes despite the strange track listing. However there is a bit of distortion on some of the tracks, most noticeably the instrumental break on Bad Case Of the Blues and Something For Nothing. I've listened to the originals and these parts of the songs are much more subdued - maybe so they wouldn't be as noticeable. :what?:

I also wonder where some of the new instrumentation comes from - could it have been dubbed onto the songs, or has it always been in existence but was never used? A good example are the horns on the intro to Lost.

I love the addition of Sweet Charlie. I can't understand why it was never released.
DustyDanny
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Marco » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi Wally

At that price you are only liable for VAT (it's too low for import duty) and Amazon sellers are supposed to display prices inclusive of VAT so you will get a refund if you contact Amazon. As long as it was ordered from the UK site (ie. Amazon.UK not Amazon.com) you are covered.
Marco
I start counting

Postby wally » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks Marco...have contacted them so will wait and see!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:38 pm

I wasn't going to buy this but eventually did. It came today from amazon UK via a German outlet. I haven't been charged any extra than the advert stated so I'm happy with that.
The verdict.... I like it. :bravo:
It is indeed like having a new release from her all over again. [ear]
Where would we be without nostalgia and our Dusty memories. :love:
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby pat.dunham » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Like you Liz, I received my CD today from Germany - no additional taxes, so very pleased. :thumbsup:
Have only listened once , but like others have said , the clarity of the remix is tremendous. :bravo:
The last five tracks are new to me so I have a bonus. :yes: :star:
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby humboldt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Well guys I finally got around to listening to this yesterday and these are my thoughts.

‘A Brand New Me’ aka ‘From Dusty, With Love’ is my fav Dusty album which is streets ahead of ‘Memphis’. I already have the US 1992 CD expanded version with 19 tracks. This latest version is like opening your cherished childhood colouring book to find that the pictures are all in the wrong order and someone else has been drawing over them! Why the running order was changed I have no idea, it doesn’t add any value and would never have happen to ‘Sgt Pepper’! The re-mastering/re-mixing has resulted in the album sounding quite different. That’s not a bad thing but if you have the original please keep it as it’s part of Dusty’s history. Six of the additional seven tracks are already available but it’s good to have them all in one place. I really bought this version for the one previously unreleased track ‘Sweet Charlie’ (nothing to do with ‘Sweet Charlie Babe’ I’m happy to say). ‘Sweet Charlie’ is a gem and Dusty’s warm vocals paint a picture with the lyrics.

I have no idea why it’s so expensive as the other Real Gone Dusty releases are around £15. I actually cancelled my Amazon order and bought it new from a Market Place seller for £14.50. It’s definitely worth getting but just wait till the price drops or it becomes available again on the Market Place.
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby trek007 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am

It is quite interesting to listen to the original and then the new release.
My CD came from Sweden and cost 15.45! I have no idea why the Amazon one is so expensive.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby humboldt » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... pringfield

There is a new copy for sale for £14.30! Go for it [:)]
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby wally » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 am

Further to my recent post, I contacted the seller and they have agreed to reimburse the additional customs charges. So all good in the end and the CD is just fantastic.....just fantastic!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby DustyDanny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:18 am

I completely agree about the track listing. The original was perfect, why did they have to change it? Lost was the perfect opener to the album. [:(]
DustyDanny
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Marco » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:21 pm

wally wrote:Further to my recent post, I contacted the seller and they have agreed to reimburse the additional customs charges. So all good in the end and the CD is just fantastic.....just fantastic!

That's great Wally. Bet the CD sounds even better now! [:)]
Marco
I start counting

Postby humboldt » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Loads more copies now available under £15 :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... 420&sr=8-3
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Graham2010 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:08 am

Played it several times in my car yesterday.............love it........the vocals are so good and more to the front. Only one thing do not like the string sound on intro to Brand New Me....................sound like they have been synthesised.................anyone agree?
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby pat.dunham » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:17 pm

A new photo, to me anyway, the last pic on insert to BNM Philly. The mustard and black outfit [8D] . Does anyone know where it's from ?
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby jennifer49 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pm

same here Pat, I don't ever recall seeing that particular outfit before, unless I've just forgotten.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:06 pm

I thought it may have been a Harry Langdon shot as he took this black and white one which has done the rounds on the internet and is in Paul's book along with another similar one but Dusty's hair is different and she has a mic in her hand, so I guess it could be a performance one from around the same time.

harry langdon boots.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby pat.dunham » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for that Carole, yes of course, being in colour I didn't tie up the two. Dusty must have worn it on a show as she appears to be taking a bow and has a mic in her right hand.
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby jennifer49 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Thankyou Carole, yes I know now.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby snoop1974 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:43 pm

I sent them an email

I'm blown away by the sound of “A Brand New Me” (plus Come For A Dream and Faithful). Any plans to release Cameo, Longing, It Begins Again, Living Without Your Love and White Heat? And also back to the start with A Girl Called Dusty, Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty, Where Am I Going? and Dusty… Definitely

they answered

There will be more Dusty…promise! [bow]
snoop1974
I start counting

Postby SeeAllHerFaces » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

:)
SeeAllHerFaces
I start counting

Postby daydreamer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Bad watermark but here's Dusty on the Dick Cavett Show in 1970 wearing that outfit.

Dick+Cavett+Show-64.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 am

I think I prefer the outfit in black and white.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Clive » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:13 am

Carole did Paul say how Sweet Charlie was discovered after so long?
(Would love if Paul would join us here too if you're in contact with him)
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby pat.dunham » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks, Carole, for more details on Dusty's outfit. It is a shame that the interview was not kept on Cavett's archives site. There are so many interviews of great artists right back to '68. Just for info gentleman in photo is Otto Premminger, film director.

PS. Presume Dusty was promoting original "A Brand New Me", which was released 30Jan70 and this interview was 13Feb70.
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby edjames » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:40 am

Thanks for the pic of the Dick Cavett Show Carole! Such wonderful memories. My pal and co-fan club member, Linda Breckenridge and I went to the theater that afternoon on the night it was taped. We were unable to attend the show but waited outside the stage door for Dusty to leave. I wish I could remember what we discussed, but Dusty, as usual, was gracious and kind and we spoke for several minutes. We were rudely interrupted by her limo driver, who insisted she leave. The guy was downright rude! That said, in regards to the outfit, Dusty wore it on several TV appearances. One other would be The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson.
edjames
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 am

Clive wrote:

Carole did Paul say how Sweet Charlie was discovered after so long?
(Would love if Paul would join us here too if you're in contact with him)

Hi Clive, sorry for delay, I've been away on holiday. I think all Paul told me was that although logs had always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby smallworld » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Some of the comments on the sound of this release gave me pause but I ordered the CD nevertheless.

Strings, where present, tend to have been brought way up in the mix and they sound awfully shrill - the flutes in "Bad Case of the Blues" suffer the same fate. The horns at the beginning of "Lost"... well, it was the right decision to leave them off the original mix. They sound off. I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to a more balanced sound mix. I never dreamed that I'd be so let down by the mixing and mastering. I enjoyed Real Gone's release of "Faithfull" - I'd even describe the mastering as smoother than that found on the 1999 Rhino "Dusty In Memphis", where many of the Jeff Barry tracks made their first appearance... What went wrong here?

I tried to give the remix a chance. I even listened to it with several sets of headphones - some of which have the highs rolled off more than others - no joy. I don't consider myself an audiophile. And I don't generally complain about brightness.
Last edited by smallworld on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Marco » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 pm

I have to concur. Dusty sounds good - but no better than on the FDWL reissue - but the rest of it not so much. She and Gamble & Huff knew what they were doing...
Marco
I start counting

Postby mikeh69 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:48 pm

[beg]

Hi I just heard about this release. And was wondering since Real Gone Music no longer makes this title just vendors selling left over copies profiting money from it for their pockets. Could anyone who owns this be so kind to send this to me in flac or wave file via internet and if they already have the book scanned that would be wonderful too. I'm so excited to hear this remix. I can't wait much longer I would love to hear this ASAP :) Thank You for your time and please help.

Mike [beg] [bow]
mikeh69
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Frans » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:41 am

I sent you an e mail, Mike
canards, canaux, canailles
Frans
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby mikeh69 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Thank you Frans I sent a email back Mike [ear] :thumbsup: :love: [bow]
mikeh69
Little by little
Little by little

Postby humboldt » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:06 am

It's still available from Amazon, both new & used copies for less than £20!
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music