Greatest Hits question

Ask, Answer or Just State the Facts About Dusty.

Greatest Hits question

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Just wondering about this UK release from 1979. It failed to chart (the UK album chart was a Top 75 at the time)

I know Dusty wasn't having a lot of success at the time but I'm surprised it didn't even enter the lower reaches of the charts, it contained all her hits and several of the tracks had been unavailable for years.

any fans at the time can you remember being surprised that it didn't do better?
I assume it sold at full price and was eligible to chart?

any thoughts?

Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Re: Greatest Hits question

Postby Duster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:45 pm

I've been thinking about this. Though it didn't chart, it must have sold fairly well since it was reissued at budget price in 1983 (so says the "Bible"). Said reissue accidentally debuted an alternate take of "IOWTBWY."
-Mike
Duster
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Clive » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:47 am

Yes that's true Mike. I've since had a look back at the album charts over late 1979 and almost all greatest hits collections in the charts were by acts who were then currently popular like ABBA, Rod Stewart, Diana Ross, Bee Gees, Barry Manilow etc.

None really equivalent to the Dusty collection whose album only consisted of 1960s hits.

Only chance for '60s' acts to chart seemed to be a TV advertised campaign, which Dusty didn't have.

Maybe if the Royal Albert Hall concert had been televised late 79 as originally planned it might have reminded enough people of Dusty to push Greatest Hits into the lower region of the charts.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Michael Muccino » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Pretty good point, Clive. Televising the Royal Albert Hall concert would have been quite a highlight back then. Wish that more people over here could have seen it!
Michael Muccino
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Return to Getting It Right