Oooooweeee! Vinyl

Ask, Answer or Just State the Facts About Dusty.

Oooooweeee! Vinyl

Postby emjel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Just received a new copy of this ZLP on Music On Vinyl. However I was quite surprised to find that although the sleeve shows or states Monaural, the album is a mixture of stereo and electronic stereo. It's good quality, but I suspect it's not pure analogue. Has this ever been released in mono on CD.
emjel
I start counting

Re: Oooooweeee! Vinyl

Postby countrycake » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:15 pm

emjel wrote:Just received a new copy of this ZLP on Music On Vinyl. However I was quite surprised to find that although the sleeve shows or states Monaural, the album is a mixture of stereo and electronic stereo. It's good quality, but I suspect it's not pure analogue. Has this ever been released in mono on CD.

Ooooweeee! has only been issued once on CD, ie in March 1999 by US Mercury. Of the twelve tracks that were on the original LP, three are in mono. They were Once Upon A Time, You Don't Own Me and I'll Love You For A While.

Losing You is in stereo, even though it was in mono on both the mono and stereo versions of the original LP.

The CD has three bonus tracks. Go Ahead On is in mono, while I Will Always Want You and Don't Let Me Lose This Dream are in stereo.

There is one other oddity about the original LP. Two different performances of If Wishes Could be Kisses appeared on mono and stereo versions of the LP. The mono version ran for 2.17, while the stereo version ran for 2.52, The 1999 CD has the stereo version. The mono version first appeared on CD in the UK in 2004 on Classics & Collectibles, while the stereo version got its first UK release in 1998 as a bonus track on the second issue of Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty on CD.

It may be that for this new vinyl issue, the same masters have been used as were used for the 1999 CD. You should be able to tell from the above info, which I hope is of some use.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: Oooooweeee! Vinyl

Postby emjel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Thanks for all that info Jim. I've just received the Classics CD so I can do a bit of cross checking.
emjel
I start counting

Return to Getting It Right