Mono vs Stereo

Ask, Answer or Just State the Facts About Dusty.

Mono vs Stereo

Postby emjel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Can anyone let me know if CD album re-issues, i.e. Those released in the last 20 years use the same stereo mixes as the original albums in the 60s. Also is there a list of songs that were never recorded in stereo or have never been released in stereo. I know that early albums were released in both mono and stereo, but I've heard that some contain electronic stereo tracks as true stereo does not exist. Finally, have any CD reissues been put out in pure mono. Thanks.
emjel
I start counting

Re: Mono vs Stereo

Postby countrycake » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:44 pm

emjel wrote:Can anyone let me know if CD album re-issues, i.e. Those released in the last 20 years use the same stereo mixes as the original albums in the 60s. Also is there a list of songs that were never recorded in stereo or have never been released in stereo. I know that early albums were released in both mono and stereo, but I've heard that some contain electronic stereo tracks as true stereo does not exist. Finally, have any CD reissues been put out in pure mono. Thanks.

Mike, I responded to your questions about Ooooweeee! earlier yesterday. While I was happy to do so, it did take a little time to check the status of each track and to put all the info together. However, the question you are asking here is so wide-ranging, in that it covers all Dusty's albums, I doubt if it can be satisfactorily answered within the limitations of this forum. I stress that this is purely my personal opinion as an ordinary LTD member, but the fact that none of my fellow members has yet replied to your posting may indicate that other members share my view.

That said, LTD members are normally helpful and generous with their time in dealing with questions,particularly those coming from new members, whom we all welcome. To give you an idea of the scale of the info you are seeking, I can mention that there have been three different UK CDs of A Girl Called Dusty. One of the issues has certain tracks in mono, while another has them in stereo. Then there is the third CD which has stereo versions of different performances of some of the tracks that were in mono in the first CD.

Fortunately, there is a source which contains all the info you seem to be seeking. That is the 2007 hardback edition of a book entitled The Complete Dusty Springfield by Paul Howes. It contains all a fan would wish to know about Dusty's recordings on a track-by-track basis. I understand a paperback edition come out in 2012.

I hope you do not find this response too disheartening, but I felt it was better that you receive this response rather than no response at all.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: Mono vs Stereo

Postby emjel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks again Jim. I know that finding answers to these types of questions can be quite challenging as such - it probably comes from my Elvis and Beatles collecting with gathering all the variants and outtakes etc. I've just checked out the book you recommend and it looked interesting enough to order a copy, so one will be winging its way to me in the next day or so. And I agree, it can be a little off putting if someone joins a forum in the hope of getting answers to questions and you see lots of views, but no responses. I guess I have an inquisitive nature about why record companies do the things they do with artists that I like, hence my first question about the Classic Albums 5 CD set. Companies seem to move in mysterious ways.
emjel
I start counting

Return to Getting It Right