"Reputation" release question:

Ask, Answer or Just State the Facts About Dusty.

"Reputation" release question:

Postby Duster » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Was an official statement ever made about why "Reputation" wasn't (and still hasn't been) released in America?
-Mike
Duster
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Re: "Reputation" release question:

Postby Clive » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 pm

I don't think there was ever an official announcement Mike.
Back in August 1990 the Dusty Springfield Bulletin reported that EMI America had passed on the album but that Dusty's manager Vicki Wickham was optimistic that release on a different label could be secured.
By the next edition of the bulletin though in November 1990 the news was that the album was unlikely to be released in America.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Duster » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Too bad for us. I think the album might have done alright. Obviously I didn't hear it at the time, but from listening these past few months it just "felt" like it fit with music I did hear. It just needed an introduction.
-Mike
Duster
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Clive » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:49 pm

I think if the album had been made a year earlier EMI in America might have taken a chance with it.

By mid 1990 it had been 2 and a half years since WHIDTDT had been a big hit in the US.
Unlike in Europe Dusty hadn't had any hit singles since in the US charts.
Plus the PSBs own chart fortunes had taken a dive in the US by 89/90

Also the PSB -produced Liza Minelli album Results had only made number 128 in the US charts in 1989.
Perhaps the American label saw Reputation as a similar product and were wary of putting it on the market.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Duster » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:52 pm

You bring up some good points. The time gap was something I had considered, and I didn't know how PSB were doing in America by 1990. After I started typing this, I looked to see when "In Private" was released in '89, but November would've made a 2 year gap already. And given the subject matter, I can see why "Nothing Has Been Proved" was passed up before that. But still I'm surprised corporate greed didn't kick in after 1999 to make an American release happen.

But ah well, that's hindsight for ya. At least there's Spotify and Youtube now. [ear]
-Mike
Duster
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Return to Getting It Right