1964 tour

Ask, Answer or Just State the Facts About Dusty.

1964 tour

Postby missyabrahams » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:01 am

can anyone tell me the date dusty played in Auckland new Zealand in 1964 I think it was sometime in apri
missyabrahams
I start counting

Re: 1964 tour

Postby countrycake » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:42 pm

According to Paul Howes' book, Dusty left the UK on 30 March 1964 for a 12-day tour of Australia and New Zealand. The first date of the tour was in Perth, so your recollection that the Auckland date was in April is absolutely correct.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby missyabrahams » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:44 am

thank for your reply Dusty was part of a show called Liverpool sound which featured Gerry & the Pacemakers, Brian Poole & the Tremeloes, Gene Pitney and Dusty Springfield. the Australian concerts were April 14 & 16 Melbourne, 17 & 18 Sydney, 20th Brisbane. It is amazing because they were all famous at the time yet I cannot find any reference to the new Zealand tour even looking up the other artists on the tour. Its like it didn't exist yet it did because I was there. Just trying to get the date of the Auckland show. maybe I am looking in the wrong places.
missyabrahams
I start counting

Postby Douggie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:40 am

Hi

I have just looked at my old passport and we arrived in Sydney on 2nd of April 1964.
This tour was for Harry M. Miller we stayed at the Town House and left for Perth on
the 3rd. From Perth we flew back to Sydney then on to New Zealand. I do not have a
stamp in my passport arriving or departing New Zealand so not really sure what date.
We did a few shows in New Zealand the one in Auckland was at the Town Hall sorry I
can't remember the actual date but April for sure. The Melbourne leg of the tour was
interesting as it was Dusty's birthday when we were here and stayed at The Southern Cross
where there was a party in her room with all the artists attended.
Johnny O'Keefe (one of Australia's to singers) was staying at the same hotel and sent
down a birthday cake for Dusty.
A few funny things happened while we were in Melbourne which I won't forget.
It is sad that there is not more details around about this tour. Lots of great memories
this tour helped Harry M. Miller set himself up here in Australia. He was originally from
New Zealand.

<3 Dusty :thumbsup: :note:

Douggie
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby missyabrahams » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:58 am

Thank you Douggie most informative. it is sad that there is no information on the New Zealand side of the tour its as if it didn't exist.
Jim
missyabrahams
I start counting

Postby Lunarose1971 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:52 am

Sadly I wasn't born then but my aunt attended her concert at Sydney Stadium on April 17th. She was an excited 15 year old! She later introduced me to Dusty's music. Later that year I believe was when Dusty travelled to South Africa and did not wish to perform to a segregated audience. Just another reason why I adore her!
Lunarose1971
I start counting

Return to Getting It Right