Relatives in Sheffield?

Ask, Answer or Just State the Facts About Dusty.

Relatives in Sheffield?

Postby Kate » Tue May 30, 2017 7:37 am

I was talking to an old friend of mine last week and spoke about Dusty and the fact that I was a big fan.
Without hesitation she said 'My mum knew Dusty, she had Irish relatives in Sheffield. Dusty and her brother would visit whenever they were touring the area in the early 60's. I believe her relatives lived three streets away from me in Attercliffe'
My friends mother was a Scottish singer and often performed in the Northern clubs in the 50's/60's so was very much aware of the Springfields and Dusty in particular.
To say I was speechless was an understatement as I too had moved to the same area in 1968 and was totally unaware of this!!!
Can anyone throw any light on this?
Kate
I start counting

Re: Relatives in Sheffield?

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed May 31, 2017 8:53 pm

StreetView.png
StreetView.png (255.81 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
I've found a couple of relevant posts at SheffieldForum.co.uk: first in the Dusty Springfield in Sheffield thread (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive ... -2601.html) on 22-01-2010 Madango 41 posted (original spelling maintained): Went to see Dusty at the city hall in the 6o's also met her in person a few time's when they were the Sprinfields. They used to call to relatives of there's that lived on Baltic road Attercliffe.

Then in the Anyone here from Attercliffe? thread (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive ... 3-p-7.html) on 2-11-2006 frankkettel posts: Is there anyone out there who lived in Colwall St. in Attercliffe. Some names I remember are the O'Brien's, who were my cousins, there were lots of them.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Re: Relatives in Sheffield?

Postby Kate » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Thank you for the trouble of finding this out.
Baltic Road and Colwall Street were very close to where I lived. If Dusty's relatives lived there it is probably true that she visited in the early days. There was a large Irish/Scottish contingent around the area as many came to Sheffield to work in the steelworks and in the coal industry.
Even if Dusty and her brother's relatives didn't live there it is a lovely story and brought a smile to my face.
Kate
I start counting

Return to Getting It Right