Dusty (the next show)

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Dusty (the next show)

Postby JohnHarding » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:04 pm

I received a brochure from The Theatre Royal, Bath today, which includes the attached two page spread. Box office is 01225-448844. Online, it's http://www.theatreroyal.org.uk

John
Attachments
Bath program.jpg
JohnHarding
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dusty (the next show)

Postby Cas19 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:26 am

Cool flyer John, we have tickets to see it in Manchester twice. Hopefully it will be good.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 am

Good idea to start a new thread for this show as it gets nearer to it's start date. Hopefully, all new posts in relation to it can be added here. Thanks for the photo John and at the risk of repeating myself, I do hope they get the wigs right!
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm

I live in hope that the wigs are right and that it doesn't dance too much with demons!!!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:16 pm

At least the wigs are improving a little!

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Cas19 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:40 am

More photos of Katherine Kingsley as Dusty. With thanks to Dusty The Musical Twitter site.

Casx
Attachments
katherine k 2.jpg
katherine kings 4.png
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby trek007 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:44 am

Dusty had a lovely smile and I hope Katherine doesn't forget to smile and look happy! [8D]
She looks abit glum in publicity photos

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cas19 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:06 am

Lol! Yes I suppose she does look a bit serious Trek !

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Not anticipating a big reaction but should anyone be interested in seeing Katherine Kingsley in action (without singing) prior to the Dusty musical she will be one of the stars of the opening production of this year's Chichester Festival, that being Noël Coward's Present Laughter. While N.Co's reputation hardly requires my endorsement I will mention that I saw a televised broadcast of this play 51 years ago with Peter O'Toole and Honor Blackman in the leads, and its memory can still make me smile (Katherine will fill the role played by Honor). Present Laughter will play at the Chichester Festival Theatre from 20 April to May 12.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Casting details for Dusty have been announced - with neither of the two names which apart from Katherine were previously attached to the project: Steve Furst has been replaced as Vic Billings by Rufus Hound while Naana Agyei-Ampadu who was to play Lois is no longer listed (her successor no doubt is, without being specified for the role). Click here for the full announcement: https://britishtheatre.com/dusty-the-ne ... ical-tour/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby karl » Thu May 03, 2018 1:52 pm

And Roberta Taylor (Inspector Gina Gold in the Bill) is playing Dusty's mum.
karl
I start counting

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri May 04, 2018 1:59 am

ImageThe full cast list is up at the official site: I've posted pix below (click to enlarge). Rather surprising - at least to me - few characters ID'd by name: I imagine the ensemble members will fill several small roles but would have thought some of Dusty's associates - such as Tom - would have rated a distinct portrayer.

In addition to Vic Billings, Rufus Hound is playing Ray - would that be Ray Connelly who so famously interviewed Dusty? Besides Kay and Lois - who I suspect is a fictitious composite love interest - the other ID'd roles are Jerry Wexler, Kiki Dee, and Ruby - any ideas who the last-named might be standing in for?

Oh - and there's also Pat: now who on earth could she be? [;)]

With the show's current ultra-light schedule its unlikely that "alt-Dusty" Tricia Adele-Turner will be pressed into service but it is good to know that her stint in the Carnaby Street tour of 2013 drew such plaudits as "her rendition of the Dusty Springfield numbers in particular is brilliant."

BTW - anyone interested in the credentials of the cast members can click on their photos at http://www.dustyspringfieldmusical.com/ ... eative.php
DustyCastCreative1.png

DustyCastCreative2.png
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 am

I would imagine the Ray would be Connolly and I guess that Ruby could possibly be Vicki? Unless they're covering any of the Springfields era, then it's possible Tom wouldn't be around much, until the later years when Dusty was back here again anyway. Wexler could play the older Tom if needed I suppose.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri May 04, 2018 11:07 pm

ImageWell - I'l be interested to see (at least vicariously but hopefully someday for real!) how the pieces fit.

With Vicki's involvement in the musical - which I suspect is passive but that's another conversation - being touted I would have thought if she were actually portrayed it would be overtly. It has occurred to me that perhaps Ruby is a stand-in for Riss Chantelle: while her association with Dusty seems to have been 100% benign perhaps the producers preferred to fictionalize Riss rather than go through any clearance hassles. Or perhaps Ruby is an additional love interest besides Lois (who I realize I'm only guessing is a love interest).

The Oz and off-Broadway Dusty musicals have both dealt with her Lana Sisters and Springfields days and I can't imagine this production will alter the template. And even with Tom's significance played down, to me he'd still have to be less peripheral in Dusty's life story than most - perhaps all - of the specified characters. But that's not a criticism - I'm just musing.
TheMuses.gif
TheMuses.gif (278.2 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Sun May 20, 2018 10:10 pm

A press launch took place in Manchester last Friday, some news, pics and sound clip here.

https://natalieanglesey.blogspot.co.uk/ ... sical.html

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Fri May 25, 2018 9:03 am

The writer of the new musical, Jonathan Harvey, along with producer Maria Friedman and Katherine Kingsley will be talking about the show on Graham Norton on Radio 2 this Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b3fln4

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:23 pm

We still need a 'like ' button on here!

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 am

Graham Norton has just said the interview will be at 11.30.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 am

Well I put of some gardening to listen!
Glad I did as it was interesting and after listening I believe this is the show that will do Dusty justice and show the many different faces she had and respect her talent and uniqueness.
So I am feeling much more positive about going to see this in July.
The interview lasts about 30 mins.
Starts off with Dusty singing Goin Back and Later Katherine singing Look Of Love.

Well worth a listen.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Sat May 26, 2018 12:54 pm

I was happy with it too Trek. I liked that they said JH's script has made Dusty so funny and that the lyrics set the scenes rather than just be inserted as in a Juke Box musical. Knowing that it is going from the beginning of her solo career to when she died, means we are likely due for a cry at the end, especially as it features Goin' Back at that point. I liked how they all spoke so highly of Dusty, and though they will no doubt feature some of the bad times, I'm feeling they will do it sympathetically. I hope so anyway!

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:34 am

I think it has potential too.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:39 pm

A short clip of talk about Dusty plus a little music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXhQwgFpcY

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby jennifer49 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:39 am

At last, my laptop in working order from just before Christmas.
Have booked to travel to Bath to see the show, Bath always being on my bucket list for places to visit as
wanting to see the Roman Baths. Kill two birds with one stone, why not.
There for a couple days, can't wait.
Are there any more dates planned? Had a quick look, can't see any but going to take me ages to catch up anyway.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Welcome back Jennifer.

According to the musical's official site there's still only the four engagements from the last week of June through July. It does seem curious that a major production would be put together for such a scant run: sorry to rag on the 2015 Charing Cross Dusty - all involved in which I'm sure wanted to do right by Dusty - but I suspect that "the new Dusty Springfield musical" (with "new" stressed) is deliberately playing a few "provincial" dates to garner good reviews with which to launch a West End run or at least an expanded tour, those reviews being felt necessary to distinguish this Dusty musical from the Charing Cross production (the upcoming musical's early promo did in fact overtly state its non-connection with the Charing Cross production).

Any way - hopefully those good reviews will indeed begin to get garnered in just a week's time. Of course I trust my board buds lucky enough to be in attendance won't hold back their feelings on the show - you don't have to say you love it but I hope you do!

BTW - if any one's interested in signing up to receive email updates on the musical, click here: http://www.dustyspringfieldmusical.com/ ... letter.php
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:23 pm

ImageIn a new interview Katherine Kingsley responds to the concern "that die-hard Springfield fans might take offence at the warts-and-all nature of the show": “I’m prepared for people to be unimpressed. We are not bringing Dusty back to life. What I hope people will take away is an honest account of an inspirational performer and a life worth living." You can view the entire interview here: https://www.thestage.co.uk/features/int ... s-want-go/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby trek007 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 pm

It's a fair comment for Katherine to say Dusty went through some very difficult times, but I hope they don't completely dominate the show. There has to be a strong balance between the good times and the not so good with the good times dominating.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:05 am

Living in Sweden, I didn't have the opportunity to see any of the previous musicals about Dusty's life (I did see Son of a Preacher Man, which I quite liked). But I booked a ticket for this one, fingers crossed they found a good work-life balance ;)

Jennifer, I loved Bath! Wonderful city, enjoy! And let us have your review of the musical, please.
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wally » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:40 pm

A friend of mine who lives in Bath says that the whole town is buzzing with Dusty everywhere....I will see for myself at the weekend!!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby jennifer49 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:34 am

Thankyou Sweetbaby and Corinna for your good wishes and yes I will certainly post a review once I've
seen the show, and to Wally enjoy too.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Cas19 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 am

That can only be good then Wally. Enjoy the Show and I look forward to seeing it twice in Salford.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Kate » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Massive 'Good Luck' to the cast of Dusty, The Musical. Sure they will do Dusty proud and introduce many new people to her wonderful voice. Looking forwards to seeing the production at the Lyceum in Sheffield. Really cannot wait!
Kate
Little by little
Little by little

Postby pat.dunham » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:12 pm

NEWS ALERT !!
It appears that the new Dusty show in Bath has cancelled the First night, 23rd June. . No further details at moment.
Last edited by pat.dunham on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby pat.dunham » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:46 pm

UPDATE>

According to Theatre Royal Bath web, Dusty show will open TUESDAY 26th JUNE - no reason given..
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Indeed, the opening night was simply moved: https://www.theatreroyal.org.uk/event/dusty/

What a disappointment for people who have travelled to see the show on the opening night! I was actually considering going, too. Glad I decided to go to Manchester instead in a month.

Hope the last bumps can be smoothed out, and the show can open on Tuesday. Imagine the stress backstage right now...
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wally » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Well...as you know I was there and gutted when I heard the news on Friday Night. We had already searched the venue and planned where we would have a glass of wine pre show...
We were not the worst...so many others had travelled from all over...but we have a refund....but it was so well booked in Bath that very few seats were left other than restricted view
I will be returning on Wednesday in the stalls Row E so will report back!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:51 am

ImageWell I finally found at least a mention of the new musical and it is a good one: "Katherine Kingsley...gives an outstanding portrait of Dusty Springfield in the musical Dusty. Kingsley's voice, and the way she's able to convey a sense of vulnerability, is superb. Joanna Francis is great, too, as [Lois] an American singer who represents many of Springfield's lovers rolled into one."

The source is Baz Bamigboye of the Daily Mail: BTW - the top story in Baz's column is on Lily James playing Eve in an upcoming theatrical adaptation of All About Eve with Gillian Anderson assuming the Bette Davis role of Margo Channing. And if you recall the classic 1950 movie already having a stage incarnation it was indeed musicalized with much fanfare as Applause in 1970. Any road - All About Eve is set to begin rehearsals next January and open in the West End in February: if (as hinted) Lily is indeed going to play Dusty in the film So Much Love either the film's production will be coming together PDQ or - gasp! - be indefinitely postponed. BTWx2 - the role of Margo in the upcoming West End production was first announced as Cate Blanchett's first stage role since 2012: of course Cate played the lead in the film Carol written by Phyllis Nagy who's either written or writing or planning to write So Much Love - is there a pattern emerging? (BTWx3 - after being attached to the ...Eve adaptation for a year Cate withdrew last April on account of a scheduling conflict).

Sorry to have hijacked this thread - Lord knows I want to read reactions to the musical! I see that some fans have made Facebook postings which I won't presume to cite on this forum but I hope the posters themselves won't be shy about sharing their opinions "on board".
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby wally » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:42 am

I have posted my review of the show on Facebook and to summarise.....second night did have some technical problems but Katherine was BRILLIANT!!!! And I also enjoyed Esther Cloes as Pat! The wigs and costumes were spot on, but I would just loved to have heard one song all the way through especially the last song of the performance YDHTSYLM which was used for the cast to take their bows so was interrupted with applause!
As this production progresses, I think it will be brilliant but with a cast of 20 and a Band of 10 and the complex technical changes, they have not made it easy for themselves. I got the chance to meet both Katherine and Russel Hound after the show and are both lovely people. Ardent fans MUST ignore the factual inaccuracies though and see it as it is intended!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:38 pm

ImageThanks for the feedback Wally. I'm glad Katherine went over well with you and while I understand how the factual inaccuracies might rankle as I understand it Dusty is in no way misrepresented. It does seem strange that the songs would be presented in dribs and drabs: if audience feedback is being seriously solicited I'd think there'll be a considerable call for that to be adjusted. Still no critical reaction that I can see: perhaps the press night is being saved til next week in Sheffield - hopefully not later than that: I'm looking forward to reading fan's reactions but it's important that the show gets some decent critical notices (as I feel sure - given a chance - it will).
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby wally » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:11 am

A review in the Daily Mail yesterday by Baz, very positive and praising Katherine's performance....so all positive so far x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby wally » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 pm

A friend went last night and already many changes / improvements have been made. The main one being that Katherine now sings YDHTSYLM before the remaining cast take their bows at the end of the show. It is all looking very positive!!!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby daydreamer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Apparently, tonight, Tuesday 3rd is the official opening night according to posts on Twitter and this photo was posted today.

kat as Dusty.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby wally » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:08 pm

I still think I saw it too early but good to know that the issues I had have been addressed. It will be perfect by the time it reaches Salford....and on reflection Katherine is superb! Would love to see it again, but very few seats left in Bath when I am available....BUT feeling positive that I will see it in the West End!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Love that latest photo.
It will be interesting to see what the review is like from maybe tonight's performance.
Glad that changes are being made and looking forward to Salford

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:37 am

Great photo! It all looks & sounds promising.
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wally » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:47 am

Apart from Football...Twitter has gone mad with praise for the show...sounds like a winner x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:13 pm

ImageI'm posting links to reviews in the Swindon Advertiser and the Wiltshire Gazette & Herald both of which are loaded with nuggets the promoters can use to pitch the show - I imagine neither publication is that prestigious: the ads perhaps should print the quotes very large and the sources very small. In fact both reviews IMHO are every bit as valid as the excellent Telegraph piece - BTW is the last-named correct in stating the show has IJDKWTDWM recorded "in the toilet"? Of course YDHTSYLM was recorded in a studio stairwell - which if the Rolling Stones had recently been in the studio might had resembled a loo but...

Any road: here's the links: http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news ... for-dusty/ http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/leisu ... h/?ref=rss

'scuse me but here's another glowing review (altho if critic Melissa Blease wants to intro her piece by reffing some of Dusty's signature songs please don't state: "One year later [than 1965], she only wanted to be with you; the year after that, she was pondering how she could be sure.") Any road - deal with the intro and dig into the accolades by clicking here: https://thebathmagazine.co.uk/review-du ... oyal-bath/
Last edited by Sweetbaby on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby jennifer49 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Corinna help, did a long review on the show, took me ages, I pressed submit and it disappeared, said I had to log in again, which I did, can it be found or is it lost forever?

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Corinna » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Sad to say, Jennifer, it has disappeared in cyberspace :cry:

Would you mind posting it again...? [beg]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby donellac » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi Jennifer,

You would be best to type your review in Word then paste it into LTD, Thenyou can be sure of keeping it and not having the system tume out on you.

I'm dying to read your review of the show. I have been looking at all of them with interest!
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Cas19 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 am

Thank you to all who have posted reviews and links. I will be seeing this show for myself very soon at the end of July. Can't wait.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby jennifer49 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 am

Thankyou Corinna and Donella for advice and yes I will post a review again later on tonight (when its a bit cooler). I guessed yesterday I had been timed out. I'll just have to keep trying until it works.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby jennifer49 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 am

Went to Bath last week and saw the show on Wednesday 5th July. I booked for the afternoon performance and it never occurred to me that Kathryn wouldn't be there. Was disappointed but needn't have worried as Tricia Adele-Turner was a worthy stand in and did a great job.
Show opens with the Ready Steady Go theme and 'Dusty' getting stage fright (fag in hand) hiding in the loo, much to the annoyance of the RSG Floor Manager. Clothes were spot on from the time such as little black and white dresses which barely covered much.
'Mrs O'Brien' sweeps in asking for gin, very critical about 'Dusty', harshly so I thought, which is a thread which runs throughout the play, these days would be called mental abuse I think. 'Dusty' gets the blame for the split with the Springfields, 'Tom' was devastated about it, I think not, but that is what she said.
The scene on South Africa and one of the policeman's outburst was totally shocking I thought, as having a young diverse cast (I know they are actors and things like that went on at the time), but no need to shove it in their faces like that, could have found another way to put the point across, me thinks, but all done to shock I suppose.
Fascinating the way they change clothes on stage, love to know how its done.
'Pat' and 'Ruby' make-up artist are hilarious, and Lois, 'Dusty's life long partner is brilliant,(which reflects at the end of the show when taking her bow, gets lots of cheers, a little twist at the end of the relationship there.
The '70's and the bad times are difficult to watch 'Dusty being fleeced by acquaintences and the scene with Kiki Dee' having to tell 'Dusty' she got the duet with Elton John, all made up of course, it was not supposed to have happened like that, but if it did the acting captures the mood and I enjoyed 'Kiki's part,throughout the show and glad she was in it.
As the show progresses, for those that have followed Dusty's career from the beginning might find it odd that the songs are not sung in chronological order, but sung to fit in with the storyline, for instance, Stay Awhile sung at the end of the 70's when the relationship ended.
We then get to the 80's and 'Dusty's' return to Britain. She glides onto the stage, and oh my goodness, spooky or what, singing What Have I Done To Deserve This', the hair, the clothes just spot on, it was like the real thing, sent shivers down my spine.
The closing scenes, be warned for those going to see it, you will cry I promise you that, the man sitting a couple of seats up from me was openly sobbing, which wasn't helping me with my little meltdown as I could hear him.
Then to make things better, out glides 'Dusty' singing YDHTSYLM. The beautiful gown, the hair, mannerisms, the singing, absolutely stunning and of course a well deserved standing ovation which seemed to go on forever.
Then they all take their bows.' Lois' gets lots of cheers and so do 'Pat and 'Ruby', but unfortunately because of the part 'Kay' played rather lukewarm, a shame really as the actress was brilliant.
When I found out Kathryn wasn't there at the earlier performance I booked again for the evening show, I thought I can't go home without seeing her, but unfortunately had a limited view really as was up in the gods, and couldn't see her face properly.
Also it is worth going twice because the show is fast moving and long and there were bits where I was thinking oh I don't remember that bit.
All in all, great, loved it and glad I went.
Will it get to the West End? Dunno, not expert enough to say.
I've probably missed large chunks out as difficult to remember all of it, and also was panicking as well in case I got timed out again so was saving virtually each paragraph and also cannot review like the experts do so you got the Jennifer way.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby wally » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 am

Great review Jennifer!
Thankyou x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby pat.dunham » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am

Thank you, Jennifer, for your great, marathon, review. I do so hope the show makes it to the London area. The West End would be great but as always you have to wait for a theatre. :thumbsup:
On saying "marathon" I meant your patience at sticking to the task and re-writing! Thanks again! :bravo:
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:08 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a brilliant review! I’ll see it in Salford in two weeks, and I’m really looking forward to it, though I have to admit that I dread the low points in Dusty’s life. Not necessarily how they are portrayed on stage, everyone seems to be okay with that, but it’s such a shame that so much talent was going to waste. :cry:

My secret plan is to see the show once more in the evening if Kingsley doesn’t appear on the matinee I’m going to see, but I’ll decide that on the day. If there are any tickets left, I might go twice anyway LOL. [whistle]

I feel thoroughly prepared now, meaning that my luggage will mainly consist of tissues, but it seems everyone agrees that this is the show we’ve all been waiting for. [yahoo]

Thanks again for your effort, Jennifer, it’s greatly appreciated! <3
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am

Yes thanks for this great Review Jennifer , definitely enjoyed it , and hope all those going soon have a great time too .. Yes we need to know where else it will be .. if doing so well could be in many areas hope so . :thumbsup: :note:
karen
I only want to be with you

Postby trek007 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for your review Jennifer.
It's good to read all the different takes on the show.
Some of us are going to a matinee in Salford so I hope we get to see Katherine. I feel it should be advertised beforehand if the understudy is taking on the main role.
So crossing fingers.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby donellac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Jennifer,

Thanks for your review, it is very detailed and is complimentary to what appears to be an excellent production.

I am disturbed though with the way Dusty's mum is portrayed, as you say:

'Mrs O'Brien' sweeps in asking for gin, very critical about 'Dusty', harshly so I thought, which is a thread which runs throughout the play, these days would be called mental abuse I think. 'Dusty' gets the blame for the split with the Springfields.'

My feeling is that it is very wrong to portray Kay O'Brien as poisonous. I don't believe she was and it is character assasination! She not only has a son still living but several nephews and nieces too. But, more importantly, this characterisation goes to the heart of the Dusty story that is presented in this musical. Does it claim that her mother was vile and destructively critical of Dusty? Does it present the narrative that her mother's treatment of Dusty was the cause of her demons? If it does then that is very wrong. Mother daughter relationships are very complex and it is simplistic to present Kay O'Brien as a monster!

I am sure that the acting in this show is excellent and the production values are very high but does that make it ok to present Dusty's mum in this way? There are some small discrepancies - Vic Billings having written YDHTSYLM, showing Dusty smoking at RSG. But these are minor compared to the treatment of her mother.

I want to thank everyone else who has contributed a review for the show.
Donella x

donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:30 am

ImageThank you for the review Jennifer - it is reassuring to know that the Dusty role remains in good hands if delegated to Tricia Adele-Turner. I should have realized that the critic in Bath Magazine was citing Dusty's hits as they appeared in the play: it might throw fans for the songs to be "sorted by relevance" rather than by date - and the one negative I perceived in the Telegraph review was that the "shoe-horning" of the songs was sometimes maladroit - but if these be faults they are IMHO unavoidable faults for a jukebox musical. Still I must remain enough of a purist so as to suggest that the show's program might have included a set-list giving the actual year of each song's release.

As far as the chances for a West End transfer - that step seems to be considered a given in the online mentions of the show. Certainly with such positive reaction I can't believe the show won't have another incarnation soon after the current "quickie tour" ends in two weeks: whether it will next play the West End or book new tour dates I imagine largely depends on venue availability.

I do have to mention that I share the concern raised by Donella over the portrayal of Kay O'Brien. The impression I have is that the show's storyline presents Dusty's esteem issues as a central conflict which she must deal with - eventually surmounting or at least coming to terms with - and her mother seems to have been made the personification of the negativity with which Dusty must grapple. That really doesn't jibe with anything I've read about Dusty - certainly not in DWD - and even if there's some truth in Dusty and Kay's relationship being less than ideal I'd have preferred that the musical showcase Dusty's issues in a way that didn't make any specific character a villain. Of course I'm cheering the show's success but as its ascendancy continues I hope for the opening of avenues for clarification as to what elements in Dusty's life have been amended for plot purposes - such as the characterization of Dusty's mother.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby donellac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 am

Thanks for your thoughts Sweetbaby. I'm glad you agree that Kay should not be made a villain. Possibly no-one else should be either.

As I have said, mother daughter relationships are complex and cannot be portrayed in simplistic terms. Kay O'Brien was human like the rest of us. I am sure she had her failings as a mother, but that doesn't make her poisonous. I don't believe she was. Pat's comment was that she found Kay 'sweet'.

Dusty's esteem issues were multi-faceted and cannot easily be explaned as having one simple cause.

Whilst the show is deemed a success, with most accolades going to Katherine Kingsley for her portrayal of Dusty, there is something currupt at its heart.
Donella x

donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Kate » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Second visit to see Dusty The Musical at the Sheffield Lyceum last night. The first visit saw Tricia Adele-Turner taking the leading role and whilst being initially disappointed when I found out, I thought her performance was excellent.
The acting and the singing was absolutely fabulous.
Last night Katherine Kingsley was everything you could ever want in a leading lady, simply spectacular. I really think she did Dusty justice. At times you forgot that it wasn't Dusty on the stage.
I went with friends who know Dusty's music but know little about her life. They loved it. They are definite fans now and are off to buy her music. They laughed and cried and were sympathetic to all characters. This performance has definitely introduced Dusty to a whole new legion of fans. Her memory will never fade.
I read your reviews and whilst it was uncomfortable at times to see the relationship between mother and daughter I felt it was necessary to try and explain the conflict that was evident throughout Dusty's life. I have an Irish, Catholic parent and can identify with the storyline.
Not sure what you mean by 'corrupt' Donellac. I thought the production was excellent and I can assure you that my friends came away with a positive understanding of the main characters and didn't see Kay as being portrayed as poisonous. In fact they loved her dry humour
Kate
Little by little
Little by little

Postby trek007 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks for your review Kate.
Soon be seeing the show in Salford...next Wednesday in fact.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Kate » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Feel sure that you will love it trek007.
Kate
Little by little
Little by little

Postby daydreamer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Yes, thank you for your review Kate. I asked Pat about the way the mother/daughter relationship was portrayed and she said she'd always found Kay to be sweet whenever they met and she thought in the musical they were trying to show that Dusty really had no family backing. That said, to my eyes, in photos, they always look so proud of her. HMV in Newcastle are supporting the show with the real deal on display [:)]

hmv.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 am

Thats a good display as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of memorabilia for the actual show does there.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby wally » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 am

Just the programme at £4 x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 am

I presume, should it open in the West End, then that's when official merchandise will be available.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Hampson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:35 am

I was at the Premier in Bath. Loved the show, thought it was a hi energy show. Lots of inaccuracies, but they have to have things to fit in with a storyline, and can be forgiven for these minor things. I thought Katherine was excellent, as were most of the cast. They had done their homework, got the wigs and dresses right this time, and all in all it was a big improvement on previous shows in my opinion. My son and his girl friend who were with me had never heard about the South African incident and I think they learned something from the show.

Just wanted to say that they were a bit hard on Kay, and having spoken to one of Dusty;s friends that used to visit her home and knew Kay, she said Kay was a lovely lady and very kind. I think Dusty's parents were just parents of that era, mine were no different, they didn't sell books on parenting in those days, so it was all done by what they had learned from their parents.

Wend
Hampson
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby jennifer49 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 am

Just before I went to Bath to see the show I read somewhere, don't remember where, that Vicki Wyckham, who had played such a big part in Dusty's life, said she didn't want to be 'cast' in the production so other people took her place. Such as 'Vic Billings' announces he wrote that song in the back of a taxi and he refers to it several times thoughout, well he didn't did he, he also is 'Dusty's' Manager throughout all of the decades, he wasn't was he, and another one I can think of is, 'Pat' collects the OBE from the Palace in a Fortnum and Mason bag, which she didn't did she, all of these things Vicki actually did for real. I remember reading she said it seemed weird to sit back and watch someone else play her part so to speak.
Could this be the reason for some of the inaccuracies we are all talking about? well, for those that have seen it so far anyway. Just a thought and has anyone else read that same article?
Kate and Wendy enjoyed your reviews thankyou and for all those about to see it this week ENJOY!

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby donellac » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks Kate, Wend and Jennifer for your reviews of the Dusty Musical.

From everything that has been written I believe it is a great show with a particularly strong performance from Katherine Kingsley.

I am glad to see the comments left by Carole G and Wend about Kay O'Brien. She wasn't the tough, undermining critic she is portrayed as in the show. Instead she loved and supported Dusty, she was proud of her success. The production team are wrong to portray her as a sharp-tongued, gin-reliant woman; the mother Dusty could never please, and use that to explain the conflict in Dusty's life.

This, for me, is where the production is dishonest at its heart. Kate, I hope you can accept that.
Donella x

donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby wally » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:17 pm

I can accept the dishonesties as it makes a good story...in fact a brilliant story based loosley on facts. Please hold judgement until you see it and I do not think the production could do anything different to make it as brilliant as it is.

If we want something that brings Dusty to the masses...THIS IS IT..

Yes when I saw it I could criticise the inaccuracies but compared to the Mari Wilson effort and The Charring Cross Show and even the Katy Setterfield effort, of which I was not a fan, this is the best you can get and unfortunately if the die hard fans don't accept it then they will have to see what happens.

I am confident, even after the initial disappointment of the opening night, this will be successful!

Will await what the Salford reviews are like....but remember this is the last week x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Kate » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Whilst the portrayal of Kay is a little harsh I do believe that Kay represents both of Dusty’s parents just as Lois represents many of Dusty’s lovers. Unlikely that the true nature of their relationship will come out and but there must be some truth in the way Kay is portrayed. Hasn’t Pat been involved in an advisory capacity in this production?
Kate
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Cas19 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Heres my thoughts I went to see the Show yesterday.

I had a lovely time at the Dusty Musical at the Lowry.
Its difficult to put my feelings down in words, surfice to say I am still emotionally drained.
The first half of the show was kind of mediocre, but the second half blew me away.
Katherine Kingsley looked the part in wigs that were very authentic. You could perhaps be forgiven for thinking it was actually Dusty on stage. Katherines mannerisms are very Dusty like, the voice however is Katherines, a very strong voice and in no way trying to imitate Dusty.
Dustys humour we know and love was sadly missing from this production, I think it needed her humour at times to lift it.
There was some very slick costume changes throughout. Magic!
Roberta Taylor as Dustys Mother Kay was the archvillian of the show...poor Kay.
The last half hour or so of the show was very moving. We all know Dustys story of drink, drugs and the her dark times, but to see it portrayed on stage made it feel so raw. We were all in tears.
The last song, You Don't Have To Say You Love me is a complete show stopper, and the whole cast deserved the standing ovation they received.
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby trek007 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Good to read your thoughts Cas which are similar to mine.
I too would like to see more humour and laughter from Dusty in the first half to balance the second half.
Too much emphasis on insecurities at times which need to be in there but not in every scene. More humour came from Pat and Ruby whereas more should be from Dusty herself.so the first half does need work.
Parts of the 2nd half are harrowing but I think it has to be like that in order for the comeback with the PSBs to have the impact it does. This was very well done.
In many ways too, from rock bottom to success again shows what a wonderful woman Dusty was to overcome all the problems and to be successful again. I appreciate this is not for everyone but it worked because it was done with professionalism especially by Katherine.
Having said all that I enjoyed it and it's by far the best work about Dusty. I suspect we will never be truly satisfied but if it introduces her to new young people then that is good.

Cor and I were lucky enough to see Katherine Kingsley in breakfast this morning at the Premier inn.
So we thought we would say how much we enjoyed her performance...this was by the cereals!!
She was delighted by our comments.
So then much to our amazement we got invited to sit at her table and chat about the production and of course about Dusty!

She did mention she would like to see more laughter in the first half. Also the production team are going to make a few changes and they are all hoping it will get to London.
She is a lovely warm lady who is obviously generous with her time and is keen to do Dusty justice...she really loves everything Dusty and mentioned a few song she likes that are not in the show like Losing You, 24 Hours from Tulsa, If a You Go Away, Some of Your Lovin but as she says it's just impossible to put them all in. She would like to make an album.

I really enjoy the few days in Salford and to those who were there with me...thank you for your company .
And thank you Katherine for being so generous with your time and chatting to us for about 30 mins, I think her tea must have been cold when she got around to drinking it.
This production deserves to be success. :star:
Last edited by trek007 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:55 pm

ImageThanks for the feedback from Cas and Carole. Perhaps the show can be tweaked to make Dusty a more comedic role - I do suspect the producers et al are wary of making Dusty too much of a figure of fun. And it's too too fab that Car and Cor got to chat with Katherine Kingsley!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cas19 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:42 am

I of course knew your thoughts Trek, but its been nice to read about Katherine and your meeting with her. She sounds a caring lady and generous with her time.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby trek007 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:16 am

Sweetbaby wrote:ImageThanks for the feedback from Cas and Carole. Perhaps the show can be tweaked to make Dusty a more comedic role - I do suspect the producers et al are wary of making Dusty too much of a figure of fun. And it's too too fab that Car and Cor got to chat with Katherine Kingsley!

I wouldn't want to see Dusty being a comic turn, maybe I didn't express my thoughts very well.
Her humour and joy comes across during the real performances ie the TV series in the 60's and RSG....this doesn't come across in the production, only her insecurities.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby karen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks for your reviews about the Dusty Show , would love to see this one too , wold be great if it did appear in other Cities .. Katherine does come across as a nice person having breakfast and chatting with you and Cor trek .. xx :note: :thumbsup: [:)]
karen

Postby Corinna » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Lovely to read everyone’s thoughts here! My flight had been delayed, so I didn’t arrive home until early this morning. I could have seen the show a third time!!! LOL

It was great to meet my Dusty pals in Manchester, I had such a great time, it was wonderful to see you all! <3 After all your thoughtful and balanced reviews, I’d just like to add some of my own thoughts.

We have to remember is that this is a dramatization of central occurrences in Dusty’s life, arranged and narrated to make a great story with dramatic effect (within a 3 hr timeframe!). Meaning they want to get the *feeling* in each situation right, sometimes sacrificing the exact factual correctness of the situation. But then, this is not a biopic, where it would more justified to demand factual correctness.

With that said, I loved how respectfully and lovingly Dusty was portrayed, even in her lowest moments. I was also happy about how classy the love story was told. Even today, sadly it can’t be taken for granted that lesbian love stories are told with respect and compassion. So, well done!

Katherine Kingsley is phenomenal. She really channels Dusty, she gets everything right, movements, voice - you can actually make yourself believe it's Dusty on stage. Joanne Francis, who plays Lois (a blend of all of D's girlfriends rolled into one), is impressive also.

I was deeply touched by the show, and after matinee and dinner with the gang, I went back to see the show a second time. I was an emotional wreck afterwards, but it was so amazing and so worth it! Luckily, Neil and Jason were waiting for me in the bar and restored me with champagne. Thank you, you lovely, thoughtful lads! <3

And the cherry on top was of course meeting Katherine Kingsley in the breakfast room the next day. She was absolutely lovely, as Trek writes above, and wonderful to chat with. What a treat!

All in all – story, wigs, costumes, cast – it was phenomenal. The story portrays Dusty as the legend that she is, triumphant despite adversity. This is the show we’ve been waiting for! [yahoo]
Attachments
20180726_104055.jpg
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat.dunham » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks to all for your reviews, certainly everyone enjoyed it. I do so hope it comes to London. I doubt that will not be until 2019, which in itself would be poignant as we will be celebrating/remembering Dusty who would have been 80 and 20 years of not being able to see her.

Great selfie Cor !!

Regards and thanks again to all for your thoughts - let's hope it wont be too long.
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 pm

Oh, and of course the cast, or at least parts of it, need to come to the next Dusty Day!!!
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trek007 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Sorry your flight was delayed. Were you at the airport for ages? Good job the few days were good!

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 am

This isn’t a review of the musical so much as a few thoughts after I saw it for the second time last night. The first time on Wednesday, left me with strange feelings, I struggled with the “false facts”, wrong chronology, IJDKWTDWM being recorded in America, South Africa trip coming after YDHTSYLM, Dusty’s nerves at RSG and smoking (couldn’t she just have bitten her nails!), Kay being played as such a harridan, Talk of the Town cancellation being in the 60’s, the big feet joke (drop it!) Pat being in SA and America and even Katherine’s long legs! I also was uneasy with the depiction of what happened in ‘the lost years’ in America. I just found it all hard to process, plus I was such a blubbering wreck for the last half hour or so! Anyway, after having spoken to lots of others who were there and getting it sorted in my head, I went last night with a determination to enjoy it more and loosen up! The show beginning with 54321 is brilliant, loved that but I don’t think ‘Morgan’ is necessary, though I now understand what they were trying to do, possibly intending him to be an Eden Kane type character crossed with Peppi! Who knows? He gets to sing Middle of Nowhere, which is pretty downbeat, whereas in the hands of Dusty and ensemble it would have been a cracker, highlighting the mod mood of the sixties. I also now get what they were trying to do with Kay’s character, make her a large part of the reason Dusty felt unloved and so insecure but I think they went too far with that, I’d like to see that toned down and maybe recast with a small fair haired Irish woman! An excellent and beautifully gowned Katherine/Dusty closes the first act with a showstopping SOAPM. At the start of the second act there is a show host and a throwing daggers act before Dusty is introduced in an off hand fashion, which I guess is to make us think this is what was happening to her in the States but it felt more like the Northern clubs in the 60’s to me. The LA years are hard to watch, we’ve read about it and we’ve seen photos, some of which show Dusty enjoying herself but there were obviously many times when she wasn’t. I found the revolving bed scene less disturbing this time round but the scene with Kiki and Dusty I don’t care for, Dusty’s character seems to be more Edina in Ab Fab and I think it goes on too long. This is around the part where it’s hard to stay unemotional, seeing what Dusty went through being acted out and especially the scene with Pat talking to a very unwell Dusty on the bench in hospital being very upsetting. From that very low time, we are taken to the resurgent and clean Dusty with the PSB’s and what a joy that is! The final scene with Dusty very ill and ex girlfriend Lois revisiting is beautifully done as is Goin’ Back movingly sung by Katherine, I actually fill up again just talking about it! The finale with ‘Dusty’ in her prime, beautifully gowned and the intro to YDHTSYLM takes your breath away and the performance brings the audience to it’s feet. Spinetingling and showstopping! All the cast were superb, the musicians top class, costumes and wigs spot on. This show, with some tweaks should have legs and travel to the West End, it’s filled a 1700 seat theatre 7 times this week and brought the house down every time, so it doesn’t deserve to end here. Musical highlights for me were Lois and Dusty with The Look of Love and Dusty’s IJDKWTDWM, SOAPM and YSHTSYLM, plus the PSB segment. After seeing this show and knowing how much of the highlights of Dusty’s life and career couldn’t be fitted into two and a half or so hours, it makes me think a well produced film or TV bio would be a good idea after all. So much easier to bring in all the characters needed and keep things in the right order. Would Dusty have enjoyed it? Very unlikely but 20 years on from her death, so many people are being introduced to her story when they never before knew much about the woman behind those fabulous songs.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby donellac » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks for your thoughts on the musical Carole. They are very insightful and you speak about many aspects that touched me more lightly. It is interesting to read what you have written. I hope you will send this to the production team,

This is my take on the show. I agree that there is much that is great about it and quite a lot that is bad.

Starting with the good – Katherine Kingsley is great as Dusty and Joanna Francis is fabulous as Lois. Both of them give excellent performances of some of Dusty’s iconic songs. The wigs, clothes and makeup are very authentic. The musicians are great too as are the dancers.

The music, Katherine and Joanna's performances and the glitz give the production a sheen and help us forget the source of the story. If the aim is, as Wally has said, to bring Dusty to the masses then the standing ovations at every performance show it succeeds.

I agree with Cas that the first act is mediocre. It introduces Dusty but it fails to present her properly. The audience aren’t shown her stellar rise to fame after the Springfields. They aren’t told of the heights she reached then. Neither do they see her sense of humour. Instead it focusses on her insecurity and stage fright. Where was Dusty the Star?

In this act we also discover Kay O’Brien and we are presented with an unkind, uncaring mother who constantly berates and undermines her daughter. But this is far from the truth. Kay O’Brien was a loving mother who was fiercely proud of her daughter and was always fully supportive of her. This representation of Kay diminishes both mother and daughter.

I agree with other reviewers who point out that the set was somewhat rudimentary and the way of signalling the passing of the years was clunky. I found the production values lower than I had come to expect from reading reviews of the show. But that may be my failing, this is only the second musical I have ever seen so it is difficult for me to judge.

I found the Pat and Ruby characters an annoying distraction. They were more like characters from AB Fab than the close friends and supporters they were meant to represent.

The second act shows Dusty’s descent but I struggle to understand why, with 35 years of her life to squeeze into a two and a half hour show, twenty minutes is spent on a sordid sex scene that is better left unsaid. I am sure her fall could have been represented without going to such depths. There was so much more to Dusty than that.

Back home from Manchester I have re-read parts of ‘that book’. I have also been reading the archived LTD discussion on the book from 2009.

These are Annie Randall’s words from that discussion:

My first problem with DWD is that it has the term "authorized biography" in its title. Everyone--from the publishers to the authors-- knew that this was misleading as it implied that Dusty herself had authorized it. When I first saw the book cover, I remember thinking "wow, Dusty gave someone the authority to write about her." I felt that I'd bought the book under false pretences when I learned later that the "authorization" came from the estate and that D most certainly knew nothing about it. It's rather telling that no one has ever said publicly that Dusty herself authorized or knew about this "biography."
My second problem (again, this repeats what's been said before by Carole G and others) is that it seems particularly criminal, given Dusty's own perfectionism, that the book should have been so incredibly sloppy. Though I would never pretend to speak for Dusty, I would imagine that she would not have objected to the book had it been done with some style or elegance or wit.
My third problem is the "tragic lesbian" subtext (not so sub, really). Penny and Vicki made D into a tired stereotype by leaving out so much (i.e. her MUSIC!!!) and dwelling on tabloid-ready episodes from her relationships. The disproportionate attention to some things and utter lack of attention to others really bothered me and revealed, sadly, the authors' impoverished worldview while producing for an unsuspecting public a wildly unbalanced "biography." The book does the most damage for readers who know nothing about D and pick it up expecting "a life." When regarded from that perspective, DWD's power to shape perceptions and influence D's legacy becomes obvious. I don't think Vicki and Penny did this maliciously. I think it's a result of rushing the book to press and their own limited skills. Is this really Dusty's life? Surely it's only small bits of her life magnified beyond comprehension, made even larger and more disturbing by the absence of anything else. Dusty deserves a real biographer with real credentials to write her life story comprehensively (and with some style for God's sake!). I cannot imagine any fan objecting to a treatment of both Dusty's personal life and her artistic life within the context of a solidly researched biography. BUT what's great about DWD it is that it provoked incredible backlash among fans and got us to focus even more clearly on why we think Dusty is so great. It seemed to motivate fans to tell, tell, and retell the full story (i.e. on fan forums like this).

I agree with virtually every word here and feel they apply equally to the musical.

Dusty once said ‘I'm the most misunderstood, misquoted person I know, honestly’. For me this production is a prime example of those words.
Donella x

donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:27 am

donellac wrote:Thanks for your thoughts on the musical Carole. They are very insightful and you speak about many aspects that touched me more lightly. It is interesting to read what you have written. I hope you will send this to the production team,

This is my take on the show. I agree that there is much that is great about it and quite a lot that is bad.

Starting with the good – Katherine Kingsley is great as Dusty and Joanna Francis is fabulous as Lois. Both of them give excellent performances of some of Dusty’s iconic songs. The wigs, clothes and makeup are very authentic. The musicians are great too as are the dancers.

The music, Katherine and Joanna's performances and the glitz give the production a sheen and help us forget the source of the story. If the aim is, as Wally has said, to bring Dusty to the masses then the standing ovations at every performance show it succeeds.

I agree with Cas that the first act is mediocre. It introduces Dusty but it fails to present her properly. The audience aren’t shown her stellar rise to fame after the Springfields. They aren’t told of the heights she reached then. Neither do they see her sense of humour. Instead it focusses on her insecurity and stage fright. Where was Dusty the Star?

In this act we also discover Kay O’Brien and we are presented with an unkind, uncaring mother who constantly berates and undermines her daughter. But this is far from the truth. Kay O’Brien was a loving mother who was fiercely proud of her daughter and was always fully supportive of her. This representation of Kay diminishes both mother and daughter.

I agree with other reviewers who point out that the set was somewhat rudimentary and the way of signalling the passing of the years was clunky. I found the production values lower than I had come to expect from reading reviews of the show. But that may be my failing, this is only the second musical I have ever seen so it is difficult for me to judge.

I found the Pat and Ruby characters an annoying distraction. They were more like characters from AB Fab than the close friends and supporters they were meant to represent.

The second act shows Dusty’s descent but I struggle to understand why, with 35 years of her life to squeeze into a two and a half hour show, twenty minutes is spent on a sordid sex scene that is better left unsaid. I am sure her fall could have been represented without going to such depths. There was so much more to Dusty than that.

Back home from Manchester I have re-read parts of ‘that book’. I have also been reading the archived LTD discussion on the book from 2009.

These are Annie Randall’s words from that discussion:

My first problem with DWD is that it has the term "authorized biography" in its title. Everyone--from the publishers to the authors-- knew that this was misleading as it implied that Dusty herself had authorized it. When I first saw the book cover, I remember thinking "wow, Dusty gave someone the authority to write about her." I felt that I'd bought the book under false pretences when I learned later that the "authorization" came from the estate and that D most certainly knew nothing about it. It's rather telling that no one has ever said publicly that Dusty herself authorized or knew about this "biography."
My second problem (again, this repeats what's been said before by Carole G and others) is that it seems particularly criminal, given Dusty's own perfectionism, that the book should have been so incredibly sloppy. Though I would never pretend to speak for Dusty, I would imagine that she would not have objected to the book had it been done with some style or elegance or wit.
My third problem is the "tragic lesbian" subtext (not so sub, really). Penny and Vicki made D into a tired stereotype by leaving out so much (i.e. her MUSIC!!!) and dwelling on tabloid-ready episodes from her relationships. The disproportionate attention to some things and utter lack of attention to others really bothered me and revealed, sadly, the authors' impoverished worldview while producing for an unsuspecting public a wildly unbalanced "biography." The book does the most damage for readers who know nothing about D and pick it up expecting "a life." When regarded from that perspective, DWD's power to shape perceptions and influence D's legacy becomes obvious. I don't think Vicki and Penny did this maliciously. I think it's a result of rushing the book to press and their own limited skills. Is this really Dusty's life? Surely it's only small bits of her life magnified beyond comprehension, made even larger and more disturbing by the absence of anything else. Dusty deserves a real biographer with real credentials to write her life story comprehensively (and with some style for God's sake!). I cannot imagine any fan objecting to a treatment of both Dusty's personal life and her artistic life within the context of a solidly researched biography. BUT what's great about DWD it is that it provoked incredible backlash among fans and got us to focus even more clearly on why we think Dusty is so great. It seemed to motivate fans to tell, tell, and retell the full story (i.e. on fan forums like this).

I agree with virtually every word here and feel they apply equally to the musical.

Dusty once said ‘I'm the most misunderstood, misquoted person I know, honestly’. For me this production is a prime example of those words.

That Sounds right to me. I think the same as you donellac!!

Douggie <3 Dusty :note: :thumbsup: xx
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby donellac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks Douggie!

:star: [:)]
Donella x

donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby trek007 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Lots of positive comment from people who went to the Lowry to see it including some of the Corrie cast .
Yes there are faults, but it's by far the best show to be produced about Dusty and I think it deserves to go to London on the performance of Katherine Kingsley alone.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby boztiggs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:51 pm

yes its me, I know, ive been gone ages and ages! Reading over all the reviews everything has been pretty much said from all angles, I loved it, and for me, when the opening bars of YDHTSYLM come on at the end and she appears, it was the biggest thrill of my life, I had long since dissolved into a blubbing mess anyway and I stopped breathing when this happened, it was great to see all the girls and for us all to share this showing together. After having a meal we had a cool drink with carole g and trek, on the decking outside the theatre bar, in the evening sunshine, it was lovely and a nice way to discuss our feelings about the show at that point, after we said our goodbyes, we decided to surprise corinna, who was watching it for a second time, I knew she would be feeling devastated all over again so I pinged her a message and she came and found us, the end to a lovely day, and my faith restored that someone had finally managed to get dusty across without trying to be her, it wiped away all previous disappointments :)
boztiggs
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby boztiggs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Im not very up on theatre stuff, so does anyone know how it works if a show has a short run, how long after do you have to wait to find out if it will get any more outings, id hate to think I was only going to see it once, and given it was bums on seats all the time and standing ovations, I would have thought it made sense to carry on the success asap, im dying to know

Neil xx
boztiggs
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Douggie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:59 am

boztiggs wrote:Im not very up on theatre stuff, so does anyone know how it works if a show has a short run, how long after do you have to wait to find out if it will get any more outings, id hate to think I was only going to see it once, and given it was bums on seats all the time and standing ovations, I would have thought it made sense to carry on the success asap, im dying to know

Neil xx

Hi Neil.

This is where the business side chips in as part of "Show Business"..
Business often means how much money can we make from this venture.
Be it a record, TV show, touring, movies or whatever.
Did they cover their costs for putting on the show? but most of all did they
make enough money from it to continue doing this show.
It is one of the sad things about it all. Everybody has to live with the
business part of music and shows!! It's not all fun, fun, fun!! :cry:

Cheers Douggie
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:21 pm

ImageWell - no new news re the show itself: however its star Katherine Kingsley has been announced as a performer in the Pinter play marathon which began a month ago at the Harold Pinter Theatre in the West End. Katherine will be performing in Party Time and/or Celebration from December 20 to January 26 which would indicate the West End won't "get Dusty" earlier than next February. Unless they go with another leading lady - which hopefully won't be the case as the raves Katherine got as Dusty - sometimes from critics who weren't crazy about the show overall - won't make for very potent promo with the part in the hands - however good - of another actress.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 pm

ImageIf Dusty does either play the West End or tour in the foreseeable future it will seemingly have to be with a new lead: Katherine Kingsley has been announced for the lead role of Marlene in a revival of the 1982 Caryl Churchill play Top Girls to play the National Theatre's Lyttelton stage next spring, with previews from March 26 and the official opening either April 2 or 3. The engagement will take bookings til April 22 with further performances a seeming likelihood.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Return to Don't Forget About Me