Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Sweetbaby wrote:I'm not out to change anyone's mind but I will put out there the idea that DWD isn't really that significant. The tributes to Dusty I read at the time of her passing while overall laudatory did reference her darker days: perhaps DWD could have put the perception of Dusty as a troubled soul in a balanced context, but the perception predates the book. Members of the public who perceive Dusty as a showbiz casualty likely never read DWD which - like the 2014 Karen Bartlett tone - seems to have been largely ignored outside Dusty's fanbase. And IMHO the darker factors in Dusty's perceived persona haven't in any way negated respect for her artistry, which is higher now than in her commercial heyday and shows no sign of diminishing.

And despite the unfortunate tone of the Mail blurb I doubt if the upcoming West End musical will differ significantly in tone from the Dusty musicals we've already had which - whatever their perceived failings - were not hatchet jobs. I've mentioned that Katherine Kingsley's stage career has been focused on light projects and that's also true of director Maria Friedman. And essentially jukebox musicals are fripperies: their protagonists may encounter challenges - but nothing that's going to seriously bring an audience down.

I still get mad/feel badly for the reasons I explained.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 pm

I fully respect your opinion but I would at least somewhat press the point that DWD has not in any way dimmed Dusty's iconic status.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 am

Sweetbaby wrote:I fully respect your opinion but I would at least somewhat press the point that DWD has not in any way dimmed Dusty's iconic status.

Well yeah. But I still have this part that wishes the people who did it paid for what they did. And the DWBS image lives on in presentations like this.
Last edited by JMFabianoRPL on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Douggie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:50 am

Sweetbaby wrote:ImageNot sure if this increases accessibility for anyone here but a gig for the SOAPM musical has been confirmed for the Hippodrome in Darlington next February: details here - https://www.darlingtonhippodrome.co.uk/ ... acher-man/

If anyone is in the "viewing area" you might also be interested in the Darlington Hippodrome's preceding production, the Four Seasons' jukebox musical New Jersey Nights, which unlike Jersey Boys would seem to be a tribute concert with highlights of the Four Seasons' career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the group's career.

HI
I have to say even though I do not have a liking for tribute shows. The last couple of lines from the last paragraph above made sense to me, which I have copied below.

(The Four Seasons' jukebox musical New Jersey Nights, which unlike Jersey Boys would seem to be a tribute concert with highlights of the Four Seasons' career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the group's career.) Struck home to me!!!.

Yeah!! career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the group's career.You can apply the same context to Dusty's career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the artists career
Sing the songs pay respect to the artist's. You shouldn't need anything else, maybe this is what all the other shows missed. WE love Dusty for her voice and the wonderful songs she sang. You could do many, many shows just doing her songs - without repeating too many of them. I don't think you really need to say anything other than sing her songs. I have seen some tribute shows and they don't go into long stories about what happened to them in their lives. They just sang the songs. Forget the story line (unless you know the real story-which none do) Just Sing her songs. It will be much easier and everyone you hope!1 will like what you have done. They may come to your show, enjoy what you presented then leave the theatre happy.

Douggie
<3 Dusty :thumbsup: :note:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:57 pm

I agree. And this is why, as I said, I can't let go of DWBS and am still hoping for a long overdue visit from the karma train....as its image of Dusty lives on in things like this.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:58 pm

ImageYes - it's another protracted post by Sweetbaby but please at least skim it: I think you'll find points of interest.

First off: another January booking for the SOAPM musical, at the Lyric in the Theatre Royal Plymouth: https://www.theatreroyal.com/whats-on/2 ... acher-man/

Again - this theatre's prior production might make an interesting comparison/contrast with the SOAPM musical, being the 60s pastiche musical Hairspray. Coincidentally the Plymouth Royal Theatre/Lyric will host Jersey Boys in April.

I can't find an up-to-date listing of the musical's tour dates - the official site is shockingly lagging: hasn't even announced Ian Reddington's casting - but I believe there's still leeway for one or two more 2018 bookings. I'm pulling for Cardiff!

Secondly: I did find the posting for open auditions for the SOAPM musical which were scheduled for mid-June and besides the lead roles indicated in the promo: the club owner, the three broken-hearted clubbers, the Cappuccino Sisters (I'm thinking three of 'em), there are apparently several supporting roles:

Liam a young boy on the verge of manhood who is gorgeous to look at [as opposed to what?] Poetic. Fickle, though. Also plays Young Paul [So apparently the 60s heyday of the club is enacted]. Good dance ability. Needs to play trumpet.

Madge an ageless Cockney charlady; also plays Miss Marsh a strait-laced solicitor [who I can't co-ordinate with the purported plot at all]. Good dance ability required. Needs to play violin.

Sandra a smart kind of girl who knows her music; also plays Anna - bonkers...a nut. Good dance ability required. Needs to play sax and flute.

The casting call was also for a Male and Female Swing for assorted small roles: the Male has to play trombone, the Female - sax and clarinet. All five performers cast through the open auditions will also be members of the ensemble.

The online posting of the casting call may be viewed at http://www.openauditions.uk/blog/theatr ... -12th-june
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 am

I've received a message from Duncan Sibbald re the SOAPM show and he is offering discounted tickets to all Dusty fans for the first preview performance of the show at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley, Kent. You should be able to book through the link below....

https://churchilltheatre.co.uk/Online/s ... an-preview
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 pm

In relation to the other musical (VW/Tris Penna one), I've been told that "the first showing will be on 19th June at the Theatre Royal, Bath, with a few other showings in the provinces to follow. Not sure which theatre or what date it will be in London". So not opening in the West End as I think we'd been lead to believe. Hopefully it'll do well enough in the provinces to then make it to a West End opening.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby jennifer49 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 pm

SOAPM - I've now booked for New Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham in September. Quite looking forward to it.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:35 am

ImageIMHO the discounted preview offer for the SOAPM musical is absolutely fabulous - I'd urge everyone who can to avail themselves of it: it is a thoroughly professional production and does feature Dusty's songs without any evident risk of tarnishing her image.

That said - I will breathe a sigh of relief when the final casting for the play has been announced. At this point only three actors have been confirmed and the musical's website still only lists two of them (altho the relevant Facebook and Twitter does name Ian Reddington along with Diana Vickers and Debra Stephenson). And really the musical's Cast & Creatives listing should by now have added not only Ian's name but also those of the five supporting players who were presumably cast at the open auditions in June.

I was intrigued by the Bournemouth Echo headline Debra Stephenson: ‘I wanted to make a show that has something for everyone’: in fact it made no mention of the SOAPM musical, the referenced show being Debra's Night of 100 Voices with which she's currently touring. (I'd like for the article to have cited the upcoming SOAPM musical but I can understand if the promo had to stay focused on Debra's show.) Don't mean to be negative but Debra's sure not giving herself much of a window of opportunity to prep for the SOAPM musical which premieres in six weeks - but likely her vast experience as an impressionist has developed a facility to be a quick study.

Interesting info on "the other musical": it's not that surprising for it to play some out-of-town dates before opening in the West End but its not premiering til next June? Well perhaps some its cast members can perform in Son of a Preacher Man in the iterim: they'll be familiar with the songs! Again not be negative and hopefully its tryout tour will lead to a West End run (if merited).
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Graham2010 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 am

I think you have to be fairer to Deborah here....................she was promoting her own show in Wimborne, very close to Bournemouth...............trying to maximise attendance.

I am sure subsequent plugging of the musical will take place.............but it is not even being staged in Bournemouth or anywhere near. Deborah does live in the area.
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:09 pm

[;)] [;)] [;)] [;)] If interested parties think her name is Deborah she needs all the promo she can get! [;)] [;)] [;)] [;)] In case you didn't notice the smileys, that is meant humorously: the article does ID one of "the world's favourite singers" mimicked by Debra as "Barbara Streisand", and I'm sure no readers were confused.

But seriously - as far as being fair, I simply posted that I'd like for the article to have mentioned the SOAPM musical "but I [understood] if the promo had to stay focused on Debra's show." I do wish now that I had provided a link to the article, an omission I shall now rectify: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/newS/1 ... eryone___/

Altho as also posted I didn't mean to be negative in opining that Debra wasn't giving herself much leeway to prep for the SOAPM musical: while I'm sure she's enough of a pro to both tour with her own show and prep effectively for the musical such a task would have to be quite discomfiting for anyone. I am therefore glad to have it clarified that the Tivoli Wimborne date is a one-off rather than part of a tour as I erroneously indicated (an error I apologize for).

However while it doesn't obligate Debra to mention the SOAPM musical while promoting her own show and while Debra may not be staying with the SOAPM musical into 2018, Son of a Preacher Man is indeed being staged somewhere near Bournemouth: as indicated at http://www.bic.co.uk/whats-on/son-of-a- ... -man-2018/ the Bournemouth Pavilion Theatre will host the play 1 – 5 May 2018.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:09 am

SOAPM.PNG
SOAPM.PNG (167.58 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
Here's a snap from 10 hours ago of the first day of rehearsals for the SOAPM musical: not sure if they're utilizing stand-ins for the unconfirmed roles or if the roles are all confirmed without benefit of announcement. Any road - the first day of rehearsal followed almost immediately on Debra Stephenson giving her Night of 100 Voices performance on July 29: since it was brought up here I'm linking to a review - http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... he_Tivoli/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Graham2010 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 am

Thanks Sweetbaby I do not know it was coming to The Pavilion, Bournemouth
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 am

http://www.whatsonstage.com/london-thea ... 44248.html

Casting has been announced for the UK tour of new musical Son of a Preacher Man, which opens in Bromley in September.

Joining the previously announced Diana Vickers, Debra Stephenson and Ian Reddington will be Michael Howe, Michelle Long, Kate Hardisty, Cassiopeia Berkeley-Agyepong, Lewis Kidd, Liam Vincent-Kilbride, Jon Bonner, Rachael McAllister, Ellie-Jane Goddard, Gary Mitchinson and Jess Barker.

Directed and choreographed by Craig Revel Horwood, Son of a Preacher Man has a book by Warner Brown. It tells the story of three strangers who find themselves drawn to the site of an old '60s Soho bar, The Preacher Man.

The show features the music of Dusty Springfield, including "The Look Of Love", "I Only Want To Be With You" and the title song.

The tour will visit Bromley, Birmingham, Sunderland, Manchester, York, Stoke, Edinburgh, Oxford, Tunbridge Wells, Hull, Wimbledon, Belfast, High Wycombe, Southend, Plymouth, Nottingham, Darlington, Coventry, Malvern, Portsmouth, Aylesbury, Shrewsbury, Blackpool, Chester, Ipswich, Torquay, Brighton, Woking, Bournemouth, Glasgow, Cardiff, Dublin, Llandudno, King's Lynn, Bradford, Aberdeen, Dartford and Liverpool.

Son of a Preacher Man will open at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley on 4 September before embarking on a UK tour.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:15 am

Now it's been fully casted there should be some promotions and advertising soon.
Looking forward to going to Birmingham to see it.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 pm

ImageHere's a detailed credit list including the roles played by each actor.

Book Warner BrownDirector & Choreographer Craig Revel HorwoodSet & Costume Designer Morgan LargeMusical Supervisor & Arrangements Paul HerbertLighting Designer Richard G JonesSound Designer Richard BrookerMusical Director Brady MouldAssociate Director & Choreographer David James HulstonCasting Director Anne Vosser

Kat Diana VickersAlison Debra StephensonSimon Ian ReddingtonPaul Michael HoweCappuccino Sister #1 Michelle LongCappuccino Sister #2 Kate HardistyCappuccino Sister #3 Cassiopeia Berkeley-Agyepong Liam/ Young Paul/ Ensemble Lewis KiddAndy/ Mike/ Young Jack/ Ensemble Liam Vincent-KilbrideHardman/ Otis/ Jack/ Ensemble Jon BonnerPippa/ Miss Marsh/ Ensemble Rachel McAllisterSandra/ Anna/ Ensemble Ellie-Jane GoddardOn-Stage Swing & Ensemble Gary MitchinsonOn-Stage Swing & Ensemble Jess Barker

Not sure who Hardman et al are or why the alternate character for Miss Marsh has morphed from Madge to someone named Pippa (I have a hard time believing it was simply decided that the name Pippa had a more authentic resonance for a Cockney char).

The source is https://www.londontheatre1.com/tickets/ ... acher-man/ where the plot synopsis includes the new (as far as I'm aware) info that the three broken-hearted visitors to the Son of a Preacher Man club are "three random strangers, generations apart" so Diana Vickers' casting isn't as incongruous age-wise as when the promo at least implied that the three broken-hearts belonged to habituees of the Preacher Man club in the 60s. Evidently of the trio: Kat (Diana Vickers), Alison (Debra Stephenson) and Paul, only Paul frequented the Preacher Man as Paul is the only character indicated to have a youthful onstage incarnation.

Paul (in present day) is played by Michael Howe who in his mid-teens played the lead in the series Tom Grattan's War which aired for three seasons from 1968: that seems to remain his main claim to fame altho he has a long history of acting credits more onstage than screen. His portfolio can be viewed here: https://www.castnet.co.uk/actor/michael-howe For those unmotivated to click I can assure you he is nice looking - think a Robert Redford/ Colin Firth cross - ; indeed "attractive" is listed as one of his "Other Skills" (which also include "Full Clean Driving Licence" - something I know I appreciate in a stage performer). [;)]

And oh yes - I have breathed a sigh of relief!

ImageYikes - almost missed this: Son of a Preacher Man is booked into Cardiff playing the New Theatre May 15 to 19. Not sure if Liz is interested in attending but I hope it gladdens her heart that Wales isn't being overlooked: in fact besides playing Cardiff the musical will be hosted by the Venue Cymru in Llandudno May 29 – June 2. Sut grwfi!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Yes at least it's coming to Cardiff. Hope it's good. [:)]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby AGirlCalledHannah » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm glad the show is coming to Cardiff, hopefully I'll be able to attend [:D]
Hannah x

If time were not a moving thing, and I could make it stay.
AGirlCalledHannah
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 pm

SOAPMday2.jpg
SOAPMday2.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
A shot from Day 2 of rehearsals for Son of a Preacher Man: presumably the musicians on-view are the supporting cast members who according to the casting call all have to play instruments. I have reduced the size of the photograph: alas - even full-size the printing in the script isn't possible to make out. Should anyone wish to try, click here - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGJsRe2XoAElXyu.jpg

BTW - do you think the reason "the other Dusty musical" isn't set to play anywhere til next summer despite being workshopped this spring is that the play couldn't get a West End booking without a try-out run and it was felt that touring at the same time as the SOAPM musical - whose last date is a week after the "other musical"'s premiere date - would cause confusion and/or over-supply the demand for a Dusty-focused musical? Or perhaps you have more important things to think about!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

PreviousNext

Return to Don't Forget About Me