Dusty related snippets

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Dusty related snippets

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 am

I noticed this in the Guardian newspaper about two weeks ago

R[:)]B
---------------
View the entire thread here:
http://www.dustyspringfield.info/old_fo ... IC_ID=2372
Rob
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dusty related snippets

Postby daydreamer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Going to see this on Friday.....

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/eve/J ... 6055495.jp

Stephanie Ridings was travelling by train, listening to her iPod, when a
Dusty Springfield number sparked her imagination.
It led her on a journey of discovery finishing in a one-woman stage play - Me, Mum & Dusty Springfield.
The Blackpool actor explains: " I was listening to Dusty Springfield, not that I am a particular fan, and thought what a fantastic way to end a show - with a Dusty number. First I had to find a way to get to that, I'm not a trained singer, so I started at the end and worked from there."
Nor did Stephanie know much about the Sixties sensation, who in the six-year period between 1963 and 1969- had 17 UK chart entries of which 10 were top ten singles.
The 1966 hit song which inspired Stephanie, You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, went to the No One slot and remained in the UK charts for 13 weeks.
As a playwright and actor, Stephanie embarked on a fact-finding mission to gain her own insight into the life and career of the iconic singer who died of breast cancer in 1999.
"Her life was so full of colour and incident that it gave me loads to work with," she said.
The result is Me, Mum & Dusty Springfield, which comes to Manchester's Lowry Studio this weekend, starring Stephanie as Mary, a young woman who is getting ready for the scattering of her mother's ashes.
The Dusty link is down to her mother's dying wish – or demand. Mary's life was filled with her mother's demands set within a world of Dusty Springfield. Not just Dusty's songs, but Dusty-like outbursts, Dusty-like drinking and finally her breast cancer.
As Mary applies the thick layers of make-up – Dusty's trademark look learnt after years of watching her mother do the same – she tries to unravel the ties that bind herself, her mother and Dusty Springfield, in the hope that this final act will enable her to move on.
It's a black comedy, peppered with Dusty lyrics and the odd song or two."In a way there's something very liberating about make-up so thick, and the blonde wig, they are something to hide behind," said Stephanie, a natural brunette.
Performing a one-woman show, which she has written herself, puts tremendous pressure on the performer.
"The buck stops with me, there is no-one else, so it just has to be the best it can possibly be every time - that's what drives me," she said.
Stephanie, who grew up in Layton where her mum and dad, Margaret and Chris, still live, was educated at St Mary's School, Blackpool.
She started dancing as a little girl with the Sue Turner Dance School and then went on to Phil Winston's Theatreworks.
As a dancer she got to perform in shows in every Blackpool theatre, but eventually decided to take her career in a different direction as an actor and writer, studying for a performing arts degree at University of Central Lancashire.
At 33, her list of stage credits is varied from theatre performances to television. On the small screen she has popped up in commercials for Hovis and Kellogg's, plus the odd appearance in Coronation Street and Holyoakes.
Now based in Manchester, where she lives with her fiance Tom Langford, Stephanie is taking Mum, Me and Dusty Springfield on the road .
A hit on the Edinburgh Festival Fringe this summer, it is in Manchester at the weekend followed by dates in New Milton, Rotherham and Kendal.
Her parents will get to see as many performances as they can. "They come to see me every time I am nearby," she said.
Her tour will take her into May and afterwards she plans to concentrate on more writing. "I think I'm now more inclined towards writing, although I do enjoy my acting."
* Me, Mum & Dusty Springfield is at The Lowry Studio Theatre, Salford, on Friday and Saturday, 7.45pm, visit http://www.thelowry.com or call the box office on 0843 208 6000.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:22 pm

Hope you enjoy Carole [:)]
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cas19 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:40 am

Hope you enjoy it again Carole, wonder if there will be any slight changes.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:03 am

I shall let you know [:)]

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Have you heard?: A Girl Called Dusty

Sunday, 14th February 2010
Hannah McCarthy
Written by Peter Searle
Considering the musical landscape of the early Sixties that she inhabited, as well as spearheading the female contingent of The British Invasion, it is clear that Dusty Springfield is not to be taken lightly. All that being said, what we have here may in fact be one of the first acclaimed female-voiced pop albums as we would recognise it by today’s standards.

Tracks on here range from the breezy to power ballads that are all subtly tinged with soul and Motown. So while she was obviously an impressive woman to be able to get her foot in the door, it is nice to know that there was a more playful side that was able to be show in tracks like ‘Mama Said’, while maintaining the artistic prestige on ‘Anyone Who Had a Heart’. While Dusty is also noted as being the voice that has become associated as the inspiration for the likes of Duffy, it is fair to say that when it comes to this there is no need to accept any imitations (especially when they choose to caterwaul quite a few of their album tracks).

While I am quite aware that Dusty In Memphis was meant to be her masterpiece, I would have to admit that this album comes mighty close to that status. In A Girl Called Dusty there is a nice variety of songs - granted they are all covers - but still there is plenty of variation in the material that she has decided to include. This is rather refreshing for this era, something which is now expected of major artists, since major albums could be made with little variation around the theme. Dusty, however, is here standing on her soapbox in her high-heels (due to being 5’3’’) and is proclaiming to the world that there is now a woman on the scene and she can play this pop-game better than any of the boys.

The production values here are also something to be noted. The productions here resemble Phil Spector’s Wall Of Sound technique, but are slightly muted in comparison as a means to completely showcase Dusty’s vocals. This can be witnessed on ‘Will You Love Me Tomorrow’ where she sings as clear as a bell over layers of strings, percussions and backing singers.

This is an album that is truly knee-deep in classic songs. I would actually challenge anyone to go through this album and not recognise at least 3 songs from this, my personal count was six. When you listen to songs like ‘Wishin’ And Hopin’’ and ‘Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa’, and then consider that this was actually a debut, this effort becomes so much more laudable. Through looking at the song choices her on this album, the image that is portrayed is a proto-feminist who will not be tied down and demands to be treated as she would want to treat her partner; as such she remain her own woman (‘You Don’t Own Me’) while still advocating smothering your lover with affection to show that you care (‘Wishin’ And Hopin’’). Not so bad for a girl called Dusty is it?

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Clive » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:43 am

Nice appreciation of Dusty by journalist Lauren Murphy in this article 'Women Who Rocked Our World' in today's Irish Times newspaper

DUSTY SPRINGFIELD

I still remember the first time I heard Dusty in Memphis . It was closing time in the music shop I worked in. A colleague grabbed an album from the easy listening section and told me that I needed to hear it. Initially dismissive of a singer best known for the overplayed Son of a Preacher Man , there was something about opening track Just a Little Lovin’ that was immediately spellbinding.

The album quickly became a permanent fixture in my playlist, and the woman born Mary O’Brien an all-time favourite. Springfield’s ability to convey love, lust, heartbreak and elation with a voice that was original, soulful, and oh-so-sexy has rarely been bettered by a singer of any genre. This was a woman who poured her heart and soul into her art – a fact that resonated even more powerfully, considering her own troubled private life and struggle with her sexuality. Easy listening? Far from it. Essential listening? Undoubtedly. LM

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/the ... 90963.html
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 am

Very nice snippet indeed!
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby daydreamer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:35 am

Maybe a few more copies of DIM will be sold this weekend [:)]

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:06 am

Thats a nice little snippet Clive. Thank you.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby karen » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:17 am

quote] Essential listening ? undoubtedly . LM. Couldn't agree more.. :yes:

Karen.
karen
I only want to be with you

Postby Clive » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:29 am

Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby karen » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Definitely a sweet tooth [:D] amazing selection here, hope no one's on a diet. [;)]

Karen.
karen

Postby neonouille » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:52 pm

banana pudding... <3
Thank you, Clive !
thank you-2.jpg
thank you-2.jpg (10.68 KiB) Viewed 8965 times
Samuel (Sam or Hawkeye) [:)]
neonouille
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:22 am

Mirroring the stars from the past.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... xties.html

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Thank you for the link Carole, lovely pic of Dusty.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Carole R. » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Yes...Some of those stars are eerily alike...I LOVE the way Dusty keeps popping up in mags, newspapers and radio!! :bravo:
Ta for the link, Carole, most interesting. :yes:

CR xx
"Nothing is forever, always is a dream."
Carole R.
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Clive » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:01 pm

review of Dusty's EP in Gramaphone magazine 1965

Dusty Springfield is one of the latest British pop singers to invade France's Tin Pan Alley. In her EP "Mademoiselle Dusty" (Philips (21) BE 12579) she sings Demain tu pewc changer ("Will you love me tomorrow"); L'Ete est fini ("Summer is over"): Je no peux pas t'en vouloir ("Losing you") and Reste encore un instant ("Stay awhile"). She is ably accompanied by The Breakaways, whom she coached in French, and the backing by Ivor Raymond and his Orchestra is also first class. This EP is a successful reply to the challenge being issued lately by her French rivals of the Entente Cordiale.

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/Oc ... /85/776156
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby karen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:08 pm

A lot of you have probably seen this interview with The Pet Shop Boys , but for those who haven't. around the 3 minute mark.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWyJHgQrfk[/youtube]
karen

Postby Clive » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 pm

Lesley Gore's eulogy of Dusty from Time magazine 1999

I met DUSTY SPRINGFIELD in 1963 on the BBC TV show Top of the Pops, when I was promoting It's My Party. Her talent was obvious the moment she opened her mouth--a sound so unique that she could take someone else's song and make it her own. She sang live with the band and sounded totally awesome. I lip-synched and felt somewhat foolish.

Our paths crossed again in Los Angeles in the '70s. We both enjoyed watching women's tennis and developed quite a friendship. She was very bright, with a great sense of humor. When she recorded a song I wrote, Love Me by Name, Dusty knew exactly what she wanted. She handpicked the musicians and worked with the arranger for weeks. When she went into the vocal booth, put on the headset and closed her eyes, she reached down into the depths of her soul and made magic. As Dusty is wailing and the record is fading she ad-libs two little words: "sweet baby." She reserved this phrase for songs she most loved. It was the Springfield seal of approval.

It's sad that she should pass just before she was to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But she'll be there, I'm sure, so the rhythm section had better be tight.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby karen » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks for that Clive. LESLEY'S 1988 VERSION.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31NkboOeww[/youtube]
karen

Postby karen » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:09 pm

PART 2 1988[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtT6o03uQvs[/youtube][2 PARTS]
karen

Postby Clive » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:17 am

This is an Elton John track from 1985 called Wrap Her Up.It also features George Michael on vocals.Towards the end of they song they call out the names of various famous ladies(presumably ones they admire)
Dusty's name is at 4:22 in the song. (Unfortunately whoever put together this clip did not include a picture of Dusty)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDJyv-aJwy0[/youtube]
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Clive » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Dusty- The Original Pop Diva opens in New Zealand this month

http://www.regenttheatre.co.nz/Dusty.htm
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:28 am

Later today, 2.45pm, Stephanie Ridings who wrote and appears in her one woman show Me, Mum and Dusty Springfield, will be interviewed on BBC Radio Cumbria http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/cumbria/hi/ about her show, which she's performing in Kendal this weekend. She says she gets to choose a song too.....I'd be disappointed if it wasn't a Dusty one! (I believe there's a listen again feature too)

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Dale Winton played "am I the same girl" on radio 2 this afternoon. [:)]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm

I just knew he would slip another song in one her Birthday! Thats the 3rd Dusty song he has played this week..he's a star :bravo:

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Clive » Sat May 01, 2010 9:40 am

The Lana Sisters' song Buzzin' is available for download next month, but no mention of a CD release.
I can't make out Dusty's voice in the sample clip though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buzzin/dp/B003J ... 496&sr=1-1
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby paula » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 pm

something I came across today...a discussion from an NPR episode called
"Best Songs Considered"..."Best Opening Tracks"

doesn't take long for Dusty to appear [:)] The track is the opener for DIM..'Just A Little Lovin'. and they seemed to enjoy it so much that after a listen and discussion on the track...they had to return to listen to more [:D] <3

I couldn't link this over but here here is the URL.. hopefully everyone can tune in
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =127246022

paula x
paula x
paula

Postby SweMaria » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:18 am

Thank you so much for that link! :thumbsup: :note:
At 4:16 you can listen to Dusty's wonderful voice :love:
"I can't get you out of my heart" - Since I Fell For You
SweMaria
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Kathy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Clive wrote:The Lana Sisters' song Buzzin' is available for download next month, but no mention of a CD release.
I can't make out Dusty's voice in the sample clip though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buzzin/dp/B003J ... 496&sr=1-1

I think we offered The Lana Sisters' "Complete Collection" CD as available for donation via Rob. If you want, Clive, you can get all the Lana sisters songs (with Dusty) on this CD. Check with Rob :)
Kathy xx
Kathy
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Kathy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:50 pm

SweMaria wrote:Thank you so much for that link! :thumbsup: :note:

Maria, There are a number of CD's available which have Dusty talking if you like the sound of Dusty's voice (and who doesn't [;)] )

Some, are available to LTD members via charity donation (to the Hospital that looked after Dusty when she had cancer--The Royal Marsden) and include: Dusty as DJ 79 and 89 (2 discs) where Dusty plays her favourite music. Also there's A Very Fine Love radio promos from 1995 (2 discs); The Saturday Sequence, 1989 and The Dave Cash Show and "Be My Guest" Dusty talks to Emperor Rosko 1970 (together 2 discs). Several people helped to provide this material for fans, including Carole G and Jen in Canada. I think Rob has these CD's for distribution or even closer to home it's possible that Cor can provide them. Happy listening to Dusty! [:)] [8D]
Last edited by Kathy on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy xx
Kathy
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:58 pm

I didnt know that Rob had talking Dusty cds I have some of her over the years on interviews from utube mainly and of course the dvds we all have but I didnt know there were these others and I would def, like to buy these so can Rob let us know whats available and how much etc please?? I am away for a week after thursday so will catch up with this when I return from my sunbathing :thumbsup:

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Kathy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Liz, a couple of years ago Jen finalised some of these tapes for us and they were offered through LTD team members in various countries. In the US it was Paula, in Oz it was me (but I lost the ones I had on the hard disc on my computer when my machine crashed in January this year, luckily I still have the original discs!), in Europe it was Cor. At the time there was only a modest call for them as I recall and I think they are a much under utilised resource and great for listening to when doing the ironing, or to brighten up a rainy day! There's heaps of information on them. I think that Rob probably has these recordings available and so it's worthwhile to email him in the first instance. Perhaps he could offer them as CD's of the month!

I will be happy to make and send copies of these CD's if people want them (after September when I am free from the court proceedings, please), but prefer to get the team member nearest to do this to minimise postage costs. [:)]
Kathy xx
Kathy
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 pm

THANKS KATHY, HOPEFULLY ROB WILL BE ABLE TO DO THEM THEY SOUND GREAT. I LOVE HER VOICE SINGING OR SPEAKING. ALL IN A GOOD CAUSE TOO.

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby SweMaria » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Kathy wrote:
SweMaria wrote:Thank you so much for that link! :thumbsup: :note:

Maria, There are a number of CD's available which have Dusty talking if you like the sound of Dusty's voice (and who doesn't [;)] )

Some, are available to LTD members via charity donation (to the Hospital that looked after Dusty when she had cancer--The Royal Marsden) and include: Dusty as DJ 79 and 89 (2 discs) where Dusty plays her favourite music. Also there's A Very Fine Love radio promos from 1995 (2 discs); The Saturday Sequence, 1989 and The Dave Cash Show and "Be My Guest" Dusty talks to Emperor Rosko 1970 (together 2 discs). Several people helped to provide this material for fans, including Carole G and Jen in Canada. I think Rob has these CD's for distribution or even closer to home it's possible that Cor can provide them. Happy listening to Dusty! [:)] [8D]

Thank you so much for that information Kathy! [:D] I really like the sound of Dusty's talking voice :love: and I'm interested in what she's talking about too [;)] Dusty as DJ 79,89 sounds cool [8D]
I'll ask my "Swedish Dustyexpert" Corinna [:)] when I meet her on Sunday . Maybe she knows what I have to do to get these CD's.
SweMaria
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:53 pm

I think it's your lucky day, Maria! [:D]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm

now I wish I was coming to visit on the weekend then I would be maybe have a nice treat in cds?? [;)]

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby daydreamer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Anyone spotted this book around anywhere? I'm wondering what Dusty story he has to tell.

515rfmedl8L__SL500_AA300_.jpeg
515rfmedl8L__SL500_AA300_.jpeg (24.91 KiB) Viewed 4588 times

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 pm

daydreamer wrote:Anyone spotted this book around anywhere? I'm wondering what Dusty story he has to tell.

ImageAccording to the Daily Mail review Mike really has no stories to tell :

In the course of duty [hosting TV series], they [Mike & Bernie Winters] naturally ran across other famous people, and Mike's anecdotes are so surpassingly banal they possess a sort of poetry. Mike glimpsed Sean Connery on the stairs and saw Bob hope in a corridor. 'Hi Bob,' said Mike. 'Hi there,' said Bob.

He met The Beatles and 'Jane Asher was carrying Paul's guitar'. My favourite moment is when Mike encountered Dusty Springfield. 'I never found out why she called herself Dusty,' we are told.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:33 am

I also Googled and came up with that same result and nothing else. As the reviewer at least says the Dusty encounter is his favourite, I'll check out Waterstones and see if they have a copy to flick through.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:23 pm

I just came across a piece about George Galloway writing a script for a Dusty musical. Everybody seems to be at it!

Share |
East End politician Galloway writing a musical about Dusty Springfield

07 July 2010

FORMER East End politician George Galloway could soon be rivalling Andrew Lloyd Webber - by penning a musical.

The ex Bethnal Green and Bow Respect MP said that amongst the projects he's working on is a musical about his musical heroine Dusty Springfield.

Mr Galloway was unsuccessful in his campaign to win the new parliamentary seat of Poplar and Limehouse after pledging to only stand in the neighbouring seat for just one term.

Since then he has been working on a number of projects and continued his extensive tour of speaking engagements.

Writing in his Daily Record column Mr Galloway reminisced about his musical influences. He said: "The star who shines brighter than all the rest on this trip down memory lane is Dusty Springfield - as fresh today as a spring field should be. And, as it happens, one of the many projects on which I'm working - with Scots writer Ron McKay - is a stage Musical, eponymously entitled Dusty."

He is also planning another trip to Hollywood to discuss a film project and said film director Oliver Stone is interested in it.

He jetted off to Tinseltown just after May's General Election for talks about making a documentary about the situation in Gaza.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Starlight » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:21 pm

daydreamer wrote:Anyone spotted this book around anywhere? I'm wondering what Dusty story he has to tell.

I found this book online it's on play.com [:)]
H xx
Starlight
Tech Assistant
Tech Assistant

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:06 am

last night I watched Jonathan Ross show on bbc1. :roll: only because Tom Jones was on there [:)]
and when he was talking to him about his musical history and so on he said ,and you had great guests on your shows you sang with all the greats, he started the list of singers and of course his first name out was Dusty Springfield :dig:

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Clive » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Mention of Dusty here, sorry if we've had it before.

http://www.womenofbrighton.co.uk/oneliners.htm
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:35 pm

walking round M and S today and Dusty was singing SOAPM, IT WAS COMING AT ME FROM THE SPEAKERS IN THE CEILING [:)]

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Dale Winton on radio 2 ,standing in for Steve Wright and making a much better show of it, he does a section where he gives clues for the public to guess the year and today is 1964 and the bloke who rang in first guessed correctly and he chose one of his favs IJDKWTDWM by our lovely Dusty girl, to which Dale said, well you've chosen my favourite girl ( dont know what his mate Cilla thinks of that [;)] )

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Dale played Goin' Back on Saturday on Pick of The Pops.

I heard this also today..and lets face it anyone is better than Steve love the show Wright [:o]

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Starlight » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:32 pm

Sweetbaby wrote:

ImageAccording to the Daily Mail review Mike really has no stories to tell :

In the course of duty [hosting TV series], they [Mike & Bernie Winters] naturally ran across other famous people, and Mike's anecdotes are so surpassingly banal they possess a sort of poetry. Mike glimpsed Sean Connery on the stairs and saw Bob hope in a corridor. 'Hi Bob,' said Mike. 'Hi there,' said Bob.

He met The Beatles and 'Jane Asher was carrying Paul's guitar'. My favourite moment is when Mike encountered Dusty Springfield. 'I never found out why she called herself Dusty,' we are told.

I have flicked through the book well only the Dusty part [:)] says he met Dusty in 1955 when she was in an all girl group called Iris long trio, she was like a little sister to them. They did some seance's....i havent got to the end of it yet i'll keep reading [:D]
H xx
Starlight
Tech Assistant
Tech Assistant

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:36 am

two snippets, last night the advert on TV, played a lot, for a free digital radio via a certain daily paper , which shall be nameless so that noone gets uptight :roll:
anyway they played IOWTBWY as the advert went on and then this morning Brian Matthew on S.O.T.S. radio 2, after about 7 weeks of not playing any Dusty , featured her on the E.P. spot with " every day I have to cry" nice to hear this for a change and my only complaint is that unusually for him he did a "Steve Wright" and talked over the end of her song as he faded it out. :shock:

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Clive » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:47 am

Dusty's Windmills Of Your Mind inspired a clothing collection by Mexican designer Omar Munoz

"The entire collection revolves around the song The windmills of your mind by Dusty Springfield...the lyrics are translated into colors: warm gray, black, white and beige"

http://thecitylovesyou.com/fashion/?p=2984
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Michael Muccino » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Just looked at Rob's initial post on this thread - With the Guardian ad for Mari Wilson. A reviewer said, "Copy cats Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen pale into insignificance as audiences hear the real thing." Is she really that good?

Michael
Michael Muccino
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby daydreamer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:55 pm

If you mean is Mari a good singer Michael, then yes she is. If you mean does she sound like Dusty, then to me, no she doesn't! Others may disagree.

As Clive was on a fashion topic, I wondered if any of our Stateside members have ever heard of the Dusty of California clothing range. The founder is a fan and has named her ranges Dusty for the guys and Cameo for the ladies.

http://www.dustyofcalifornia.com/aboutdusty.html

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Carole R. » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Well I'm not 'Stateside' (as you know)Carole, So, I never knew about this clothing range.
Thanks for the fashion 'snippet'...very interesting. :thumbsup:
CR xx
"Nothing is forever, always is a dream."
Carole R.
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Michael Muccino » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Carole - Do you think that Mari Wilson is a much better singer than both Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen, as the reviewer suggests?

Michael
Michael Muccino
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:29 pm

just been told that Dusty was a question on University challenge, dont know what the question was, they didnt know the answer must have been from University flintstone.

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Chrispld » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Just seen University Challenge Liz. The question was who sang 'If You Go Away'.Three short versions were played the first two were by Tom Jones and Scott Walker. The third was dear Dusty. The team after much discussion came up with Nancy Sinatra.!!!!!.

Chris
Chrispld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:28 am

good grief, it makes you despair,is there no hope for the youth of today actually knowing its own best musical history. :roll:

well at least we now know that Rumer has said she was influenced by Dusty, so thats something.

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:41 am

Love the bit in the Telegraph yesterday when Henry Winter was commenting on Fabio Capello's apologies for the world cup. Winter said...yesterday Capello apologised to the fans but heaped criticism on the players.at one point,he almost turned into Dusty Springfield with his lament about "I just don't know what to do". Not with himself. With the players.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby allherfaces » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Dusty and Cameo clothing lines -- fascinating. Now who among us could wear those garments? [:o] Even Laura has passed size zero these days. :lol:

@Carole G -- did you see the Mari Wilson thread from last week?
x
Bosseh
There's something in my soul that will always lead me back to you.
allherfaces
Administrator
Administrator

Postby daydreamer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:05 pm

I'll check it out Nancy. I just came across this page with a picture of Dusty from 1963 that I hadn't seen before. I can't work out how to lift it from the page, but here's the link....

http://www.bill-parkinson.co.uk/biography.html

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Clive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:40 pm

thanks Carole,lovely to see a new one of Dusty. I must admit I didn't know Bill Parkinson, I wonder who is the other lady in the photo with them?
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cas19 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Thank you Carole.
Heres the pic for you!

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Thank you Cas [:D] I'd a feeling you would sort it!

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Corinna » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:27 pm

Yes! A new photo! [:D]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Clive » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Dusty's Sweet Ride is included in this forthcoming CD collection of songs written by Lee Hazlewood.
Not sure which version they have used.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Califia-Songs-L ... 664&sr=8-1
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Chris80 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:34 pm

I rummaged around in my Mum's old magazins last week and found an article about the return of the 60's fashion with a Dusty snippet:
DS.jpg
DS.jpg (16.49 KiB) Viewed 4791 times

Do you think that singer Duffy bears an resemblance to Dusty?
Don't let me lose this dream ...

Christoph
Chris80
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Starlight » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Nope not at all, do you?
H xx
Starlight
Tech Assistant
Tech Assistant

Postby Corinna » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:23 pm

They're both blonde, but I guess that's all! It's always good to see Dusty mentioned in magazines outside the UK, though. So good find, Christoph! :thumbsup:
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cas19 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:58 am

Yes a nice find Chistoph, but no nothing like our Dusty.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:23 pm

thanks Christoph but I agree theres only one from that mould.

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby paula » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:29 pm

anyone familiar w/ Peter Miles?...a nice little article on his relationship w/ Dusty in earlier years & it looks like a duet from 50 yrs ago is to be released...not much info on when. [:)]
paula

[i]Duet with Dusty Springfield released after 50 years
Aug 26 2010 By Michael Russell
A JAZZ singer and actor who duetted with Dusty Springfield is to have his track released by a major record company, more than 50 years after they first sang together.
Peter Miles, of Bradley Gardens, West Ealing, was a close friend of hers while in their late teens and often used to visit her at her home in Kent Gardens, West Ealing.
He met the star through her brother, Tom, after he joined him in a four part male voice choir.
He said: "We used to sing a lot in her kitchen, me and her and Tom and the two other guys.
"She liked what I did musically and said 'why don't we make a record together?'
"I think Dusty would have agreed with me that she was always insecure, I never knew why that was. She was always a perfectionist, would always say she hadn't done it well enough even when top musicians and producers would say it's perfect.
"But she wasn't as demanding before she was famous. We rehearsed it at her home and it only only took one or two takes and she said we'd got it. She was very professional even then.
"We recorded it in a studio in Queensway which was cheap but still good, it doesn't exist any more.
I did spoken ad-libs between some of the lines – she'd sing 'who's to blame' and I'd say 'mostly you' and she'd give a little laugh.
"She loved comedy, she and her brother had a great sense of humour, the more ridiculous the better.
"They were both very introverted, private people. What you saw was what you got with dusty. If she wanted to be quiet, she was quiet, if she wanted to be witty, she was witty."
Dusty's and Mr Mile's duet is part of a rarities disc to be released by Universal in January.
The timing could not be better for Mr Miles who has become a successful jazz singer and who works with top musicians after years of hard work perfecting his style. It follows on from 25 years as a professional actor, playing parts in well-known shows like Doctor Who.
He added: "I've been a jazz singer for 15 years and I'm playing in top clubs and now getting great feedback from musicians and others."
As for Dusty, he says she was a big part of his life and still has clear memories of their friendship.
He said: "I have a picture of Dusty in my mind sitting in her sitting room at home. It was her last year at school, an RC convent school in Northfields, and she still had straight red hair. She was day dreaming staring at a magazine on the floor. It was about America and I thought 'she's hooked'. She had a thing about America.
"It's difficult to say the last time I saw her, I think it was in Liverpool in 1967. I was in a play at the Liverpool Play House and she was down the road at the Empire. I went to the door and said I'm a friend of Dusty's, a real friend from Ealing.
"We gradually lost contact, I'd become a busy actor and she had become famous.
"I suppose I took it for granted that I'd known her so well for so long but I guess there aren't many blokes who have sung with Dusty."
Peter Miles next gig is at the Bull's Head in Barnes, with the Duncan Lamont Quartet.
[/i]
paula x
paula

Postby paula » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:33 pm

oops ..just discovered that CaroleG posted the previous post under "Any new releases"....I'll leave it here as a snippet unless Admin thinks it's redundant and would like to trash [;)]
paula x
paula x
paula

Postby SweMaria » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks Paula for this article :thumbsup:
Interesting to read about this man's musical relation to Dusty and her brother in earlier years. [:)]
SweMaria
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cas19 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Thought this could go here. Saw it whilst looking for something else. Don't ask me the year, someone with a good memory, or the patience to look it up may know! [;)]

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Well, it looks like 1967-ish and the only Juke Box Jury listed in the Complete DS is May 1967, so I guess that must be it. I no longer have a copy of this photo Cas, only a memory of it, so thanks for posting [:D]

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Clive » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Clive wrote:Dusty's Sweet Ride is included in this forthcoming CD collection of songs written by Lee Hazlewood.
Not sure which version they have used.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Califia-Songs-L ... 664&sr=8-1

It is the setero soundtrack version produced by Lee Hazlewood that is included on this CD (the same version as on Classics & Collectibles)
The liner notes on this new CD mention that despite many Dusty compilations Sweet Ride remains fairly hard to find.I wonder why it is featured so seldom?
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby jeffery » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:23 am

Cas19 wrote:Thought this could go here. Saw it whilst looking for something else. Don't ask me the year, someone with a good memory, or the patience to look it up may know! [;)]

Casx

What is she doing ? Looks like she's reading something she's written on her wrist. :lol: :? :lol:
" The man with the child in his eyes ".... Jeffery
jeffery
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby karen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 am

Anyone have any info on this one.? [:)]
Attachments
RTL9C9xiODdcFGV.jpg
karen

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:20 am

well I havent seen this before how interesting [^] I like the presentation of it whats the story morning glory [?]

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby daydreamer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:18 pm

Well Remembering Dusty Springfield was a four parter on R2 in 2000. Not sure where you spotted this Karen, could be official, but it sort of looks like a home made copy of the series. Fraser did something similar at the time that it was broadcast.

Scan-100902-0001.jpg

Scan-100902-0002.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Corinna » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:45 pm

I've added this to our A Song For You section. Rob should have a copy of this one, unless he says otherwise! [:)]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Well this has taken a long time coming , but decided to post it on here rather than the July meet up thread, Cor kindly provided us with the goodies. [:p] [:)] if you click on picture to enlarge you can read messages [:D]
Attachments
's sweets re Ds 002.JPG
karen

Postby SweMaria » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks for that wonderful piece of art Karen! :thumbsup: [:D]
I have read the messages too [;)]
SweMaria
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby paula » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:14 pm

mmm, delicious [;)] [:)]
paula x
paula x
paula

Postby jeffery » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:21 am

[8D] Melts in your mouth. Not in your hand ! [;)]
" The man with the child in his eyes ".... Jeffery
jeffery
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:52 am

nice to see them on here, they have been in my fridge since Cor gave them to us in July :shock:

I did eat quite a few of them, [:o]

I took them to Karen so she could use her camera skills on them, so she will probably eat the rest of them now :lol:

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Cas19 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:18 pm

They look really good don't they, are they a bit like a Smartie?

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Corinna » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Yes Cas! They were called Smarties when I was a kid but all I can find now are M&Ms. But it's the same - chocolate covered with sugar coating. Yummy. [:D]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:09 pm

No Liz won't be eating them [:p] will probably stay in my fridge , too good to eat , thanks for bringing them round , and once again thank you Cor for letting us have them. [;)]
karen

Postby Cas19 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:06 am

I found this when looking for articles on Tito Burns. I can't recall seeing it before, but sorry if its been on the threads already.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Corinna » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:54 am

You search for one thing, you find another...! [:)] Certainly had a piece of two of new info for me, Cas. Thanks for posting!
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby daydreamer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 am

I had also found that Peppi piece when I was looking for other things and just wondered who it was writing. Having looked I find that it's a guy called Chris Hughes who pops up on my Facebook occasionally as a friend of friends. Six degrees and all that [:)]

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:55 am

I heard Nell Bryden singing live a couple of months ago and was very impressed. I wondered how long it would be before the Dusty comparisons began...........

You could be forgiven for thinking that New Yorker Nell Bryden’s album What Does It Take? is a reincarnation of Dusty Springfield. There’s the platinum blonde hairdo (no beehive, though) and the cover art is a deliberate throwback to the vinyl covers of old.

A couple of the tracks sound like our Dusty as well - and no one could take that as an insult. The second song, Not Like Loving You, could be Springfield singing a Ray Charles number.

However, Bryden soon shows she’s made of sterner stuff than a mere channeller of a great and dead diva.

Three tracks in and we have Where The Pavement Ends, an driving he-done-her wrong acoustic country ballad which shows off Bryden’s strong and clear vocals. Against an acoustic guitar and bass and snare drum she intones such memorable lines as “His hands were fast his words were sweet”.

Helen’s Requiem is the sad tale of a churchgoing girl who is found dead in her lonely home. This is a song which would not have gone amiss on a Bonny Raitt album.

Bryden comes from a interesting background. Born in Brooklyn, her father Lewis is a prominent landscape painter and her mother Jane was a classical soprano who sang in Carnegie Hall. Blessed with a vivid imagination - and this comes across in the rich variety of characters she conjures up in her songs - Nell was turned on to rock and country music by the records of Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix.

You can still hear Janis’s influence - that strength with more than a hint of vulnerability - on Second Time Around.

And the retro artwork is there for a purpose - Bryden is a bit of a magpie when it comes to influences and there is even a nod to the vaudeville flapper era, complete with strummed banjo, on the last track, Late Night Call.

This is a mainly buoyant collection of songs. Bryden comes over as an open and sunny personality. She sure can rock, and to quote Gram Parsons, she sure can sing as well.

It’s released on Cooking Vinyl by Shock Records and is in stores now for $29.99.

edb5fcef85b29fbad8855587e29dfefe_resized.jpg
edb5fcef85b29fbad8855587e29dfefe_resized.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 4487 times

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:12 pm

I must admit to having not heard this lady sing...will try and do so.
The comparisons to Dusty are in some ways a compliment but also annoying too.
There will only ever be one Dusty and modern singers very rarely come close.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby trek007 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:14 pm

By the way those M & M's would not have lasted 2 minutes had they been in my house!!!!

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby spooky1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:48 pm

CaroleG, great review. I just listened to Nell Bryden on YouTube and agree with you on the parallels with Dusty. She's a real singer (the slip I saw was live, just NB's voice and her guitar) who isn't afraid to sing without all the electronic stuff that often allow the singer to cover up all manner of offenses. Thanks for mentioning her!

Annie
spooky1
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby paula » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:28 pm

interesting..I'm going to go have a listen. thanks
paula x
paula x
paula

Postby Cas19 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Not heard of her I will look out for something by her.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Next

Return to Don't Forget About Me