Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:55 pm

ImageWell it seemed as if the Chester gig of the SOAPM musical might be the first to fail to generate a single review - however a critique has popped up at TheatreMates.com: the headline is "Solid vocals & good performances" and critic Olivia Mitchell does indeed wax with such enthusiasm over the four lead performances (altho without the customary props for the Cappuccino Sisters), while only lightly dissing the plot and choreography and actually favoring the onstage instrument-playing, that I'm surprised the rating is only two stars (I presume out of five).

Surprised also by Ms Mitchell's statement that "[besides] plenty of Dusty Springfield’s hits...there are also plenty of other sixties hits thrown in for good measure, such as Cilla Black’s You’re My World": however I'm confident this indicates not a radical shift in the show's structure but rather Ms Mitchell's not being aware that certain songs strongly associated with other people were also recorded by Dusty: not of course You're My World - I'm sure this is a mis-rememberance of Anyone Who Had a Heart (Ms Mitchell also misID's Michael Howe as Nigel Howe).

To view the write-up, which features three new promo pix, click here: http://www.rewritethisstory.com/2018/03 ... house.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:07 am

ImageWell there'll be no hanging on 'til the eleventh hour for a review of the SOAPM musical this week - the show opened today at the Ipswich Regent and the Ipswich Star already has the review up. The headline: Great songs. Great dance. But don’t look too hard for Preacherman’s plot! might as well be the entire review, but critic Paul Geater does indicate that - despite the bleak tidings from Blackpool last week - the show at least on opening night has drawn a good response from a good-sized crowd. And Mr Geater does manage to get everyone's name right. Click here to read the review: http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/what-s-on/ ... -1-5462126
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby wally » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 am

Saw it for the second time last night and personally do not like the new cast....or rather the replacements! Debra Stephenson in particular was much stronger and a better singer than Michelle Gayle. Unfortunately it felt more like an amateur dramatic production this time. Quite disappointed as when I saw it first last year in Birmingham, I thought it had potential. Still had a good evening and always lovely to hear Dusty songs however interpretated and sung x
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Same as you Wally, I thought it had potential too when I saw it in Birmingham.
Shame some of the new cast are not as strong. Plus the plot has alway been weak!
It is always good to hear Dusty songs though and the cast do deliver from that point of view.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:41 pm

ImageThe SOAPM musical evidently played Torquay without occasioning a single review! Next Tuesday will be the opening night of the show's engagement at the Theatre Royal in Brighton - considering Dusty's strong association with the town, there should be some degree of reaction! BTW after Brighton the show will play Working and then Bournemouth the latter locale inaugurating the production's final two months of touring which will include venues throughout the British Isles.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:00 pm

ImageWow - three reviews of last night's Brighton opening! Nothing we haven't read before - or perhaps it's a case of nothing I haven't read before - but the review in the Argus does begin: "Dusty Springfield fans seem to be lapping up this show if the enthusiastic reaction of the first night audience is anything to go by", and it's nice if the show is at least on occasion proving a crowd pleaser if not a critical favorite. Click to read the review: http://www.theargus.co.uk/leisure/arts_ ... _________/

And the review in the Stage - click here: https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2018 ... tre-royal/: actually compliments the script! "Warner Brown’s book has some smart lines" altho the plot is as usual labeled "flimsy": the Argus review specifically disagrees with the suggestion of any scriptual finesse - "The dialogue is often dull and a lot of the one-liners lack any cutting edge" - altho it allows that the show is a "frothy confection".

The third review at Broadway World - click here to view: https://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/a ... n-20180418, is perhaps the most in-depth review of the SOAPM musical to-date, its final word being that the show "will attract crowds [already at least occasionally disproven] who love the music of Dusty Springfield. The Springfield numbers are sung and danced very well, but attendees may be left disappointed by the overly contrived plot."
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Graham2010 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Well I plucked up courage to see SOAPM in Bournemouth last night.

I was apprehensive and whilst the story line was iffy the singers/actors/musicians were great and showed real versatility and talent. Particularly liked musicians playing live on stage and some very different song arrangements.

Although only half full nevertheless a standing ovation at the end.

Pleased I went but I am now hoarse through singing every word to every song!
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu May 03, 2018 10:00 pm

ImageGlad you enjoyed it Graham: a little disappointing the show isn't that much of a draw but I'm sure that's not a reflection on Dusty.

Just a reminder - Bournemouth is the inaugural gig of the final two months of the Son of a Preacher Man tour: the show will play ten gigs throughout the British Isles with the Liverpool Empire hosting the finale gig the first week of July.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu May 31, 2018 12:25 am

ImageI'm linking to one of the most insightful reviews of the SOAPM musical which this week is at Venue Cymru altho the review seems to be of the New Theatre Cardiff engagement two weeks ago. IMHO critic Gemma Trehearne-Foose is on point all the way through, with a summation of the show which - on the basis of the umpteen reviews I've read, including those of my board buds - I'd judge perfect: "It’s such a shame the show didn’t quite hit the mark. It just doesn’t quite match up to the true legacy of Dusty Springfield – and she deserved better." And it was nice to read that Ms T-F's mum remembered seeing Dusty in concert "paying tribute" to Sandie Shaw wearing oversize feet - a story Douggie has shared with us here.
http://getthechance.wales/2018/05/26/re ... rne-foose/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby donellac » Thu May 31, 2018 10:21 am

Okay, the review is good enough. From my perspective the show was really enjoyable and true the storyline was weak. But, it was what it was!

I have to wonder where the reviewer got this information from:

"Dusty’s real life was marred by a set of tragic and difficult events, from her early childhood in a children’s home run by Catholic nuns, to being in the closet then losing her eyesight at an early age."

Okay Dusty did have some hard times in her life but ...

She attended a Convent shcool run by Catholic nuns. She was NEVER in a children;s home run by nuns. She was always very short sighted but I have never before heard that she lost her eyesight. She chose not to make a public statement about her sexuality but she did a poor job of hiding it. Can that be charaterised as 'being in the closet?'
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby trek007 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:11 pm

Some reviewers need to get at least 1 fact correct.
Disgraceful really
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu May 31, 2018 5:44 pm

SorryPanda.gif
SorryPanda.gif (7.93 KiB) Viewed 396 times
It is a perceptive review which overall does speak well of Dusty but I should have pointed out that erroneous passage, which somehow I skimmed over without taking in the specifics.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 am

ImageA well considered (IMHO) critique of this week's Alhambra (Bradford) engagement: Emma Clayton of The Telegraph & Argus is very big on the cast and production values while being underwhelmed by the storyline, with her review wrapping with the encouraging sentiment: "I'd have preferred a musical about Dusty Springfield." http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _Alhambra/
And a reminder that there's just under three weeks left before the final engagement of the SOAPM musical opens at the Liverpool Empire.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:10 am

ImageAnother review of the Allhambra Bradford Show: Steve Crabtree of On Yorkshire likes the cast but not the storyline - no surprise of course but he does speak very well of Dusty (eg. "So much can be done with [her] songs, so I really hope they take the show away and rework it" - can't see that happening myself). https://www.on-magazine.co.uk/arts/york ... -bradford/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Previous

Return to Don't Forget About Me