Radio 4 - Today - 100 Years of Women

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Radio 4 - Today - 100 Years of Women

Postby countrycake » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:55 pm

For several weeks the Today programme on Radio 4 has been running a feature called 100 Years of Women to mark the upcoming centenary of the passing of the Act that allowed some women in the UK to vote for the first time. The Act was passed on 6 February 1918. Their aim is to have an online poll on 6 February 2018 to select the most influential British woman of the past century.

Each morning the programme has been featuring two women, each prominent in her own field. Each has been invited to choose the woman she considers to have been most influential. Today Mica Paris appeared as a representative of popular music and selected Dusty as her choice. Here's a link to the relevant part of the programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05wwmr8

As you can see from the web-page, the selections will be whittled down to a shortlist of ten and listeners will be able vote on Tuesday 6 February.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: Radio 4 - Today - 100 Years of Women

Postby daydreamer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:40 am

I listened to this the other day, I wish they had chosen someone more articulate than Mica Paris to talk about Dusty. I'm sure Dusty is her favourite British female singer but she just seemed to be picking others out of thin air and there was no substance to her choice.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby countrycake » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:14 am

countrycake wrote:For several weeks the Today programme on Radio 4 has been running a feature called 100 Years of Women to mark the upcoming centenary of the passing of the Act that allowed some women in the UK to vote for the first time. The Act was passed on 6 February 1918. Their aim is to have an online poll on 6 February 2018 to select the most influential British woman of the past century.

Each morning the programme has been featuring two women, each prominent in her own field. Each has been invited to choose the woman she considers to have been most influential. Today Mica Paris appeared as a representative of popular music and selected Dusty as her choice. Here's a link to the relevant part of the programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05wwmr8

As you can see from the web-page, the selections will be whittled down to a shortlist of ten and listeners will be able vote on Tuesday 6 February.

The shortlist was increased to twelve and Dusty was included on it, I have just voted for her. Voting closes at 0830 UK time and the result will be declared on the Today programme before 0900.

Get voting!
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:54 pm

The winner was Dame Millicent Fawcett, suffragist, intellectual, political and union leader, and writer.

No details were given as to votes cast or runners-up.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby trek007 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Sounds like a good choice of winner.
Dusty did well to make the final 12.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness