Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:42 am

ImageA review of the week past’s Belfast gig linked to below - nothing new critique-wise but Damien Murray of the Belfast Times does indicate a possible overhaul of the show: “I am led to believe that on-going changes are being made to improve on its weak points”. Of course after this week’s Wycombe gig Son of a Preacher Man is going on hiatus til mid-January and with two new lead performers coming on-board next year - it seems likely Ian Reddington is staying on - there would logically have to be some rehearsal planned for the show’s downtime and so the ‘breaking in” of a revised script would be entirely feasible.
http://www.belfasttimes.co.uk/review-so ... ohbelfast/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby thc@c » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Re the above review - I think this was a very fair critique of the show which my wife and I attended with a couple of friends in our beautiful Grand Opera House. The review roughly mirrors my own views. I felt the story and dialogue were not the greatest but the performers were talented, enthusiastic and energetic. Miss Vickers was particularly strong vocally and showed a good balance of comic timing and pathos where needed. I'm sure this show will improve with some tightening up. Obviously, we loved all the music which I thought fitted well and was nicely played in the main by the young musicians on the stage. They got a standing ovation from the Belfast audience! I enjoyed it!
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby trek007 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:58 pm

More or less what we thought of it in Birmingham Henry.

Will catch up with you one day at Todber!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:06 am

ImageThank you for your feedback Henry - I believe you're the last board member who's planned to see the show. I do hope the show does get some degree of buffing up before the 2018 dates: not sure if a West End tenure is feasible but with some stronger notices there's at least hope of some future "provincial" engagements. And it's great that besides Diana Vickers other cast members have earned good notices specifically the three understudies who've gone on in the leading roles and also Ellie-Jane Goddard for whom Son of a Preacher Man is only her second acting job and first tour since graduating drama school earlier this year.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 pm

ImageThe final day of the 2017 leg of the Son of a Preacher Man tour is upon us - and altho the official site now indicates that Ian Reddington is done as Simon no recast is indicated despite the new female leads for the 2018 leg of the tour having been announced as long ago as October 4. Since Ian's role was oft cited by the critics as underusing him it's possible Craig RH & co have elected to proceed with just the two female leads played by "names" with the role of Simon defaulting to Gary Mitchinson who understudied Ian for the 2017 gigs: Gary covered for Ian at least twice at the Regent in Stoke, and - perhaps significantly - at Wycombe Swan this week Gary played Simon at both the matinee and evening performances on Wednesday and has been announced as again playing the role at both performances on this, the final day.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:20 pm

ImageWell a Christmas gift you probably don't especially want - the name of the actor taking over from Ian Reddington as Simon is Nigel Richards, and he's apparently not being touted as a "name" star with the home page of the musical's site now showing Alice Barlow and Debra Stephenson as the stars - Michelle Gayle will take over from Debra in March.

Richards will be a somewhat younger Simon being 51 or 52 and altho not a "star" in the sense of having appeared to a significant degree on British television he has over the past thirty years amassed an impressive theatrical CV featuring a number of West End appearances: he also appeared in the Tom Waits musical The Black Rider during a 2004 San Francisco run fronted by Marianne Faithfull - whose role Richards covered at matinées! (If interested in the details click here: http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/art ... 722584.php)

A classically trained baritone Richards will with the SOAPM musical be making a rare foray into lighter stage musical fare - perhaps for the first time since co-starring in a student production of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum at the Guildhall in 1988.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 pm

https://www.facebook.com/DustyTheMusica ... 6968209428

Hopefully the above link works, they're only just running auditions for dancers for the new musical. I can't help noticing that they need female dancers to be 5'8 or above and male 5'10. I think it might have been simpler to have cast a smaller lady as Dusty! I'm sure Katherine Kingsley is well equipped for the part, it's just that her legs are too long :roll: Still no mention of a West End theatre, just the four tour dates.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 am

ImageThe 2018 leg of the SOAPM musical tour kicks off next Tuesday at Cliffs Pavilion in Southend. The musical director Brady Mould has tweeted regarding the score getting an overhaul which is somewhat surprising as the music was one element of the show which consistently found critical favour. Hopefully the script - which consistently didn't - is also getting a touch-up (altho there's nothing to indicate it is).
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 pm

ImageThe premiere of the 2018 tour of the SOAPM musical last night at Cliffs Pavilion in Southend has actually generated a good review: I'm hoping this is due to some streamlining being done over the show's downtime. Critic Lauren Oldershaw of the Essex newspaper The Echo reacts so positively to the play that I imagine its leading ladies wouldn't be too fussed over being cited as Debra Stevenson and Alice Marlow. And Ms Oldershaw does present an interesting perspective on Dusty's music. To read the review click here: http://www.echo-news.co.uk/NEWS/1584701 ... _Pavilion/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 am

ImageAnother review of Son of a Preacher Man at Southend: this one's more in-depth and does at least mention Nigel Richards and get the leading ladies' surnames right. Overall also a good review which portends that Alice Barlow like her forerunner Diana Vickers will be a constant critical fave. BTW I suspect a large factor in Alice inheriting Diana's part was a physical resemblance as evinced below - altho Alice obviously has a distinct pair o'peepers!
DianaVickersAliceBarlow.jpg
DianaVickersAliceBarlow.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 2531 times

However if any rewriting was done it failed to make the anonymous critic for SouthendTheatreScene.com love the script any more than most critics of the show's 2017 engagements. Click here for the review:
http://www.southendtheatrescene.com/son ... eview.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:35 am

ImageA review of this week's engagement of the the SOAPM musical in Plymouth: actually a very good review except for the usual misgivings about the script. Alas - the single comment elicited by the review indicates that the show is still only pleasing some of the people some of the time. As evinced by the review Debra Stephenson - who's booked for five more venues before Michele Gayle takes over - missed at least one Plymouth performance with "Cappuccino Sister" Michele Long covering the Alison role. And it might be an idea for Craig R-H & co to make some more up-to-date promo pix available: that acommpanying the review features Diana Vickers. http://www.thereviewshub.com/son-of-a-p ... -plymouth/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:40 am

ImageI realize my board buds likely consider two reviews of an engagement of the SOAPM musical - or perhaps of the entire tour - to be more than enough but I've come across another review of the Plymouth engagement which while conforming to the established strong performances/ weak storyline-&-script template is one of the more in-depth reviews, and at least comments on "nu-Simon" Nigel Richards (despite the score reportedly being at least touched up over the hiatus, the Simon character evidently is still underused). And "nu-Kat" Alice Barlow gets props for her singing altho she's not afforded the praise for acting which Diana Vickers constantly drew. Nice to see Ellie-Jane Goddard add to her good notices.

Here's a link to the British Theatre Guide review - written by Karen Bussell - of Son of a Preacher Man at the Theatre Royal Plymouth: http://www.britishtheatreguide.info/rev ... al-p-15464
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 pm

ImageThe SOAPM musical opened last night at the Theatre Royal in Nottingham and while I'm not sure exactly what a "real preachers egg" might be I'd suspect it ain't good, judging from the rest of this Nottingham Post review whose anonymous author apparently felt his/her headline: "Contrived, awkward, erratic, disappointing", might be somewhat ambiguous as he/she was moved to pepper his/her review with Tweets from disenchanted audience members. The review does state: "the music saves the show", without elaborating overmuch altho the Cappuccino Sisters and "nu-Simon" Nigel Richards - again said to be underused - get props. To view the review click here - http://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/ ... on-1142661

The Ripley & Heanor News also reviewed last night's Nottingham premiere and without being fawning the critic - also anonymous - gives one of the best reviews the play has elicited: while the plot is labeled "somewhat bizarre and implausible" the script doesn't get its standard lambasting with the play adjudged to coalesce enjoyably in the second half. The cast earns a general thumbs-up and the set is afforded praise. The complete review - whose coda is: "Not the best of shows at the Theatre Royal but in the end not too disappointing. And there’s always Dusty" - may be viewed by clicking here - https://www.ripleyandheanornews.co.uk/w ... -1-8991796

One of the tweets cited in the Nottingham Post review came from a full review by blogger Kev Castle and despite the excerpted tweet: "The story line is as flimsy as a cheap paper tissue, and as easy to see through", Castle's complete assessment of the SOAPM musical is in fact more positive than that in the Post without perhaps waxing as enthusiastic as the R&H News. According to Castle the SOAPM musical is "fluffy and fun [altho] we have to wait until Act II for the...fun to start"..."[uninspired] choreography and the flimsy story apart, this is held together by the cast and the music of Dusty's hits. I'm glad that I've seen the musical, but it's not going to make it into my list of musicals to see again in a hurry." To view Castle's full review clicking here - http://kevcastletheatrereviews.blogspot ... eatre.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:40 pm

ImageThe SOAPM musical, at the Festival Theatre in Malvern this week, has drawn a comparatively positive review - linked to below - from Alan Wallcroft writing for the Bromsgrove Advertiser. While unimpressed with plot/script (natch) or choreography Mr Wolcroft is unstinting with praise for the performers and does laud Dusty. Again I wish the production would make performance stills featuring the current cast available: for Diana Vickers pix to still accompany the play’s press pieces seems indicative of a certain carelessness in the promotion of the show that would be best nipped in the bud.
http://www.bromsgroveadvertiser.co.uk/l ... l_delight/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:17 pm

ImageTwo reviews from this week's Southsea engagement - one's a pan, one's a paean: actually the AboutMyArea.com review is the best review of the SOAPM musical I've ever read. And a reminder that this is Debra Stephenson's last week with Michelle Gayle assuming the role of Alison at the Waterside in Aylesbury next week.
The pan: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/our-region ... -1-8396324
The paean: http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Hampshire/ ... -The-Kings
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:17 am

ImageAs I mentioned some time back the Faces jukebox musical All or Nothing - featuring Sophia Behn in a cameo as Dusty (shown above) - three weeks ago graduated from touring circuit staple to West End production, albeit at the West End's smallest venue. Still that the production has consistently sold out the Arts Theatre has occasioned a second West End booking to begin just over two weeks after the March 11 finale at the Arts, with the Ambassadors Theatre - which seats 444 patrons as opposed to the Arts' 350 - hosting All or Nothing for 9½ weeks from March 28, with opening night already sold out.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:23 pm

ImageWell after a critique-free engagement in Aylesbury last week the SOAPM musical has already drawn two reviews after its opening night in Shrewsbury - and both reviews while dissing the script and choreography are extremely complimentary to the cast with both writers commenting on the show being an obvious crowd pleaser. The review by Chris Eldon-Lee at http://www.shropshire-events-guide.co.u ... eacher-man includes the statement: "The great ‘La Dust’ was an understanding woman who didn’t always have it easy. So, I imagine, she would be unforgiving about this new show, which takes her name in vain." I'm pretty sure that should have read "she would be forgiving" as I suspect Dusty would be. The other review is by Owen J Lewis and may be viewed here: http://www.loveshrewsbury.com/owen-lewi ... themselves
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 pm

ImageThe SOAPM musical is playing Blackpool this week, so far generating one review which of course disses the plot while saying some nice things about the singing altho not so much the acting, Anna Cryer of The Gazette apparently being moved only by the thesping of Lewis Kidd - virtually unmentioned by previous critics - and nu-Kat portrayer Alice Barlow (cited as Amy Barlow demonstrating how deeply Coronation Street is entrenched in the British public consciousness). The review, which also gives props to the oft-maligned choreography but not to the onstage instrumentalists, may be viewed here: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/what ... -1-9075354
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:42 pm

ImageI'm linking below to another review of the SOAPM musical in Blackpool - this review while perhaps more negative than is customary is enjoyably written and does say nice things about Dusty. Sandra Mangan of NorthWestEnd.co.uk does if nothing else compliment the singing with especial praise for Alice Barlow - described as being "of Coronation Street fame" despite Alice's signature role being a Hollyoaks troubled teen: altho Alice did appear in a single episode of Corrie I'd bet this is just a knee-jerk association of the surname Barlow with Corrie - but at least Alice isn't again ID'd as Amy Barlow!

Ms Mangan does comment on the "sparse audience" - and this despite the Grand offering a deep discount to 18-to-26 year old ticket buyers (would have thought particularly for this show giving "seasoned" theatre-goers a break would have made more sense...). I'd anticipated the show drawing well in a resort town like Blackpool: then again locals and visitors to Blackpool must be able to avail themselves of a good number of recreational options theatrical or otherwise. Hopefully punters potentially interested in the Katherine Kingsley vehicle don't equate low turnout for the SOAPM musical as disinterest in Dusty herself: I know some fans are in principle opposed to staged depictions of Dusty and the planned bio-musical might be a disappointment even to fans who aren't opposed but the planned musical shouldn't have its chances narrowed because of the shortcomings of the SOAPM musical.

Any one still with me? Here's the link: https://www.northwestend.co.uk/index.ph ... -blackpool
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:03 am

ImageWell we can finally exhale - promo pix for the SOAPM musical featuring the current cast are available!
SOAPM.gif
SOAPM.gif (1.99 MiB) Viewed 1231 times
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

PreviousNext

Return to Don't Forget About Me