Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:42 am

ImageA review of the week past’s Belfast gig linked to below - nothing new critique-wise but Damien Murray of the Belfast Times does indicate a possible overhaul of the show: “I am led to believe that on-going changes are being made to improve on its weak points”. Of course after this week’s Wycombe gig Son of a Preacher Man is going on hiatus til mid-January and with two new lead performers coming on-board next year - it seems likely Ian Reddington is staying on - there would logically have to be some rehearsal planned for the show’s downtime and so the ‘breaking in” of a revised script would be entirely feasible.
http://www.belfasttimes.co.uk/review-so ... ohbelfast/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby thc@c » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Re the above review - I think this was a very fair critique of the show which my wife and I attended with a couple of friends in our beautiful Grand Opera House. The review roughly mirrors my own views. I felt the story and dialogue were not the greatest but the performers were talented, enthusiastic and energetic. Miss Vickers was particularly strong vocally and showed a good balance of comic timing and pathos where needed. I'm sure this show will improve with some tightening up. Obviously, we loved all the music which I thought fitted well and was nicely played in the main by the young musicians on the stage. They got a standing ovation from the Belfast audience! I enjoyed it!
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby trek007 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:58 pm

More or less what we thought of it in Birmingham Henry.

Will catch up with you one day at Todber!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:06 am

ImageThank you for your feedback Henry - I believe you're the last board member who's planned to see the show. I do hope the show does get some degree of buffing up before the 2018 dates: not sure if a West End tenure is feasible but with some stronger notices there's at least hope of some future "provincial" engagements. And it's great that besides Diana Vickers other cast members have earned good notices specifically the three understudies who've gone on in the leading roles and also Ellie-Jane Goddard for whom Son of a Preacher Man is only her second acting job and first tour since graduating drama school earlier this year.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 pm

ImageThe final day of the 2017 leg of the Son of a Preacher Man tour is upon us - and altho the official site now indicates that Ian Reddington is done as Simon no recast is indicated despite the new female leads for the 2018 leg of the tour having been announced as long ago as October 4. Since Ian's role was oft cited by the critics as underusing him it's possible Craig RH & co have elected to proceed with just the two female leads played by "names" with the role of Simon defaulting to Gary Mitchinson who understudied Ian for the 2017 gigs: Gary covered for Ian at least twice at the Regent in Stoke, and - perhaps significantly - at Wycombe Swan this week Gary played Simon at both the matinee and evening performances on Wednesday and has been announced as again playing the role at both performances on this, the final day.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Previous

Return to Don't Forget About Me