Dusty Show ..Call Me Dusty

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Dusty Show ..Call Me Dusty

Postby karen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:20 am

Yes I am glad you decided to go too Liz , no there were some bits maybe we can't really accept , but the fact it was Dusty's voice we heard re the songs really helped , and the end re Someone To Watch Over Me .. was touching.. [:)] :rose:
karen
I only want to be with you
I only want to be with you

Postby Cas19 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:27 am

Pleased you could go Liz, and thank you for the review. With yours and Karens etc I can sort of piece the show together.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby darren2722 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:11 am

Glad you went Liz. [8D] Lovely review too. :yes:
I Couldn't Ask For More
darren2722
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Pleased that you went in the end Liz. Disappointed that I didn't.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:20 pm

I wasn't sure I was going to go til the morning of the event Trekkie, I nearly didn't get there either. :shock:
I had migraine on the Wednesday [:(] and then for my troubles I had another one the day after the play on Friday. a real humdinger. :cry:
I think if it toured properly then lots would see it. [:)]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:36 pm

I really enjoyed the show and it was great to see Liz there too, and as she has said, she's glad she went. I did wonder if i would get there on time. I left work earlier than usual but my bus was 35 minutes late and then the traffic was terrible. In the end i got there with just under 15 minutes to spare.

The show was obviously not a high cost production but the limited sets and props were used with great imagination. I know tyhe character was playing Dusty but all along i approached it as though it was a
Dusty character telling Dusty's story. It was good that the show used the original recordings. The time meant that whole significant episodes in her life such as the Fox theatre days had to be covered in just minutes but Dusty's life journey was told in a way that drew you in. I don't know how accurate it was but a lot of it most definitely was. The script was very accurate when dealing with the South Africa trip and the Dusty in Memphis album because it used words that i've heard spoken directly by Dusty and Jerry Wexler. Apart forn the Dusty character there who two other (one male and one female) who played a variety of roles. All in all, a very enjoyable evening. [:)] [8D] [^] [:)]

R [:)] B
Rob
Administrator
Administrator

Postby daydreamer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks both of you for your reviews. I've seen a couple of plays in the years since Dusty died, both using her own musical voice and being all the better for that [:)]
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Dotty86 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Really enjoyed reading these mini reviews earlier. It sounds like it was a nice show done in good taste. [:)]
Georgie x
Dotty86
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 am

ImageThis almost flew completely under the radar but Call Me Dusty has been revived for a November 10 to 18 run at the Hall Green Little Theatre in Birmingham: the original 2013 production was according to our dear departed friend Rob "obviously not a high cost production" and as the HGLT troupe is an amateur company the same observation will almost certainly apply. And for myself if I see an actress playing Dusty - at least in a live production - I'd prefer to hear her sing Dusty's songs herself however imperfectly rather than mime to Dusty's records which reportedly was done in 2013 and presumably is being done now at Hall Green. But I don't mean to criticize a show I haven't seen - hey I'd love to see one of these Dusty stage musicals: none has come closer to me than 270 miles away! If anyone's interested I'll post the link to the HGLT site: perhaps any one who can't catch the current tour of the Son of a Preacher Man musical should check for a HGLT revival of that in a few years! http://www.hglt.co.uk/dusty.htm
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Previous

Return to Don't Forget About Me