Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby pat.dunham » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Further details on the new Dusty musical.

https://www.londontheatre1.com/news/186 ... d-musical/
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:43 pm

DustyMusical.png
DustyMusical.png (107.49 KiB) Viewed 739 times
The link below is to an interview with Katherine Kingsley re the Dusty musical. Essentially it's a puff piece but IMHO there's nothing that should cause Dusty's fans angst. Of course there is mention of input from Vicki Wickham and also that Dusty's darker days in the US are dealt with, but Katherine does indicate that the presentment of the latter will emphasize Dusty's resilience - and hopefully that is indeed the case.
https://thelowryblog.wordpress.com/2017 ... -kingsley/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 pm

Well if VW is that involved and it portrays her " book" there may well be plenty of low points in the personal side of the disastrous American years laid out on that stage. :roll:
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby trek007 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:19 pm

I hope VW has toned down her negative comments it annoys me when she says Dusty hated to sing and that she did it for the money....what utter tosh.
You wouldn't hear anyone saying this about Cilla etc!
I live in hope that the production shows respect and understanding of the life and times of Dusty.
I don't want a sugary tales but I do want a positive story of her talent and truthful events told well.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 pm

ImageLikely the production's citing Vicki so as to give the musical the cachet of being authorized, and DWD will pretty much be drawn on for Dusty's general life history such as might be gathered from myriad other sources. The musical's promo seems focused on wooing an audience in the mood for laughs, and both its director and star have made their names in light theatre. Maria Friedman's last directorial project: Stepping Out, toured prior to playing a 15 week limited West End engagement: there's at least a reasonable chance the Dusty musical will follow a similar course and could be playing the West End in 2019 - the 80th anniversary of Dusty's birth and the 20th of her passing.

BTW - notice how the logo emphasizes that this is the NEW Dusty Springfield musical? I thought perhaps this was to avoid confusion with Son of a Preacher Man but have since come across this blurb at StageReview.co.uk:
Disclaimer.png
Disclaimer.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 690 times
I know some board members are acquainted with people involved in the Charing Cross production and I do realize the people who worked on that production had their hearts in the right place but wow - that must have been a bigger disaster than I realized for a show running years later to stress a lack of connection! Don't mean to be snide but thought this detail was newsworthy - perhaps the team behind "the NEW musical" are being overly cautious.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby wally » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 pm

So......who is planning to attend the opening night of the WORLD PREMIERE???

I am still in mixed minds ....but as Bath is fairly local ...I will go so why not on the first night?

How Can I Be Sure? X
wally
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 pm

I'll wait for the Manchester/Salford show at the Lowry Wally, hopefully give it a little bedding in time [:)] Jonathan Harvey is (for me) the best Coronation St writer these days and his episodes always feature humour, so fingers crossed it will have it's light hearted moments. Let's hope VW learned her lesson after the book, I don't expect Dusty's personal life not to be featured but I would love for it to not be the main focus. #shouldbeaboutthemusic!
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby wally » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Billy No Mates will attend Bath and report back....fingers and everything else crossed x
wally
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Good luck Wally, let's hope it's a positive take and highlights her musical talents etc. [:)]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:18 pm

ImageI'm linking to a review of the SOAPM musical's opening night at the New Theatre in Oxford as IMHO critic Sophie Hums does give the show a thorough balanced write-up: interesting that as at the Edinburgh opening Jess Barker covered for Diana Vickers (I actually hope Diana is "bunking off" rather than suffering from a lingering ailment!).
https://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/feature/128 ... eview66050
I'll also link to the Oxford Times review altho its writer Tim Hughes pretty much echoes the sentiments of the critics left cold by the earlier SOAPM engagements. This review does feature what might be considered a spoiler re the show's ending which did suggest to me that - however accidentally - there's a parallel between the SOAPM musical and a chicklit novel I've read: Step Back in Time by Ali McNamara, published in 2013 and available for preview perusal at books.google.com: it doesn't mention Dusty its focus being rather on Beatles songs but like the SOAPM musical does feature a vintage record shop. Anyway - the link for the Oxford Times Review is below: as I've mentioned it takes a dim view of the musical and does feature a possible spoiler.
http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/leisure/th ... arts__39_/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:26 pm

ImageAs I've said I'll keep posting news about the SOAPM musical and if - as alleged in the headline from the Craig Revel Horwood interview linked to below - it's a hit that's certainly news! Sorry to sound snide - I do just wish the play were a somewhat worthier showcase for Dusty than most reports would indicate. (Perhaps the phrase "Dusty hit musical" refers to its being focused on her songbook.) Anyway - the article (of course) is pretty much a puff piece but does contain sincere sounding praise for Dusty.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats-on ... ing-689914
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 pm

ImageJess Barker went on for Diana Vickers at least once during the Oxford run which ended last night. While the SOAPM musical isn't really the sort of show where a performer might go onstage an unknown and take his or her final bow as a star I am pleased that some cast members are earning potentially career-boosting notices - that's likely a nice surprise for the understudies for the leads especially Jess Barker who wasn't even assigned a specific role and has played what I'd call the female lead at least three times.

As I've mentioned I rather hope that Diana - whose own notices have been good - is occasionally "bunking off" rather that suffering an ailment she can't shake. On November 21 Son of a Preacher Man will open in Belfast for its second-to-last 2017 engagement - I wonder if one or more of the three "name" leads might decide to remain on this side of the Irish Sea and give their understudies the spotlight. Be sure to let us know Henry! Of course whoever's onstage at the Grand let us know how you liked the show (and hopefully you will like it).

I'll provide below the link to the write-up of the Oxford gig which mentions Jess Barker's subbing - and it is the most positive yet grounded review of Son of a Preacher Man that I've seen, even opining that "if they can work on the book and make it a touch less cheesy, the musical should ultimately go to the West End" (altho I'd still advise any one at all interested in seeing the show to catch it on this tour).
http://playstosee.com/son-preacher-man/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:22 am

ImageWell somehow I miscounted the venues where Jess Barker has subbed for Diana Vickers it only being two rather than three: pretty sad when even I "lose the plot" of my own posts! Anyway the role subbing in the play isn't quite as much of a trend as my last post indicated and on reflection I'd be surprised if the announced cast didn't all make the crossing to play Belfast. I believe that Henry's now the only board member who's going to see the show unless some of my board buds have kept their plans to themselves - if anyone else has or will attend I think I speak for the board in general (for a change) in saying we'd all love to hear your impressions. BTW still no word on who's replacing Ian Reddington in the title role.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:25 pm

ImageI actually have news to pass on - Debra Stephenson may be staying on as Alison into 2018 until Michelle Gayle take over March 3 at Aylesbury: the report actually says Debra may stay on for six weeks which would leave a "gap gig" at Portsmouth before Michelle Gayle took over - presumably Michelle Long would sub but then she may already have played Alison from the first 2018 date, Debra apparently still being undecided. And if it's not a given that the three name stars drop out after the 2017 finale at Wycombe then perhaps Ian Reddington will remain as the title character for the 2018 dates. Anyway here's a link to the interview with Debra - interesting details about her but not really much about the SOAPM musical: download/file.php?id=31672
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby thc@c » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Looking forward (in part, considering some of the reviews!!) to going to this show. My wife and I go to the matinee performance in the Grand Opera House in Belfast on 23rd November some friends. I hope the Belfast audiences will enjoy the show, but I have seen comments that aren't entirely encouraging from previous reviews. I will travel eagerly with an open mind and hopefully the overall impression will be one of "great sounds" from a special time in musical history, no matter what the story portrays! xx
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:35 am

ImageI realize the possibility of the top-billed stars sitting out the Belfast gig was never a real issue but since I did bring it up I will mention that Debra Stephenson spoke to Belfast's News Letter for a promo piece which states that Debra will be making her Belfast stage debut in the SOAPM musical. The News Letter also states that Debra's "run in Son of a Preacher Man comes to an end early next year" so it is evidently now a given that she'll remain with the show for the first six or seven weeks of the 2018 leg of the tour. I'll link to the article below but it really is a puff piece. Debra does state that "if you like the music of Dusty Springfield, you will have a good night" and while she may not be an objective source that opinion has earlier been expressed by critics despite they're overall having misgivings about the show.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/whats-on/th ... -1-8228231

I have in fact just found corroboration for my last statement in a review of last weeks Oxford gig for the SOAPM musical by Henley Standard critic Daisy Smith who professes an affinity for Dusty's music due to Dusty's "Henley links and the annual Dusty Day" which made her "excited to see this musical based around [Dusty's] livery of songs." Overall Daisy praises the production values - including Craig Revel Horwood's oft-panned choreography - and the performances - affording stand-in Jess Barker another rave altho Debra's serious turn is found wanting - while (like most of the show's critics) having reservations about the script (altho Daisy's expressed reservations seem less serious than those of most critics). She concludes by stating: "Go and see the show if you love Dusty’s music as the songs were performed brilliantly, but I wouldn’t rush to see it again." Here's a link to the full review: http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/co ... round.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 pm

ImageNo evident online reaction to the Hull engagement which opened last night but I've found a review of last week's Tunbridge Wells gig which Dusty's fans might find encouraging: in a 3-star review The Sussex Newspaper critic Paul Lucas-Scott opines -

"The talented cast of Actor/Singer/Musicians deserve so much more from a script that is, at times, just appalling. The jokes sometimes fall flat, and many scenes feel disjointed and haphazard, often relying on cheap laughs...The show does have a feel good factor to it and, with the twists and turns that are crammed into the last ten minutes, does have a [comparatively] plausible ending, but any success that it has will simply be because it features some of Springfield’s most popular songs...Son Of A Preacher Man makes for a pleasant enough evening out but, unlike Dusty’s music, I am not convinced that it will stand the test of time."

Here's a link to the review in full: http://www.thesussexnewspaper.com/revie ... dge-wells/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 pm

ImageThe Cambridge Independent features an interview with Katherine Kingsley - linked to below - which mentions the upcoming Dusty musical: no new info there but the article does have some interesting background info on Ms Kingsley and does discuss the very worthy National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children charity. http://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/n ... -1-5273767
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:29 am

ImageWell - less than a month to go for Part 1 of the SOAPM musical tour with two venues left after the current New Wimbledon Theatre gig, an assessment of which by Bev Lung at TheUpComing.co.uk does corroborate the suggestion that Dusty's fans will find the musical worthwhile:

"Son of a Preacher Man sure does love Dusty Springfield. And not just because the characters declare it every second sentence...Not all [her] songs fit logically nor have their desired emotional impact, but nevertheless they are performed well...A surprisingly large number of [Dusty Springfield] songs are covered with endless gusto. This is a double-edged sword as it makes it tricky to credibly match the plot without shoehorning, but at the end of the night it is still a fun celebration of her music."

And while Ms Lung doesn't buck the critical consensus of the script's quality [ie. lacking] she notes "the show... is ...littered with Dusty in-jokes for the devoted fans". The link to the full review is http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2017/11/15 ... re-review/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 am

ImageIs 2018 the Year of the Panda? Yet another Dusty-focused show is set to tour next year: seemingly a tribute concert with biographical commentary, Dusty Springfield & the Shades of the 60s is booked into thirteen venues in March, April & May, playing one-nighters mostly in moderate size civic areas altho its two May dates are in Liverpool and subsequently Basildon just east of London. The Shades have already done a similar show for Cilla Black (which is being reprised next year): critic Paul Vale of TheStage.co.uk found the Basildon engagement of Cilla & the Shades “an upbeat but slight show built around an amiable Cilla Black tribute act” which he deemed worthy of two out of five stars (for the full review click
https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2017 ... -basildon/).
The webpage for the Dusty show is at http://www.shadesofthe60s.com/dusty/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Previous

Return to Don't Forget About Me