Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby daydreamer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:18 pm

I think for a while now, Facebook and it's Dusty sites has taken over from LTD with the sort of posts that used to happen on here. Like it or not, it's the way it is. I would always try to post any news and new photos on here but there doesn't seem to be that much happening right now, except for this musical and the one proposed for next year. I'm going to see it in Manchester and I know many other people reading this forum are going to other venues too, so it is relevant to keep news and reviews of the show going, at least for a little longer. This is, after all, just one thread and it's headed 'musical'.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:30 am

ImageIt's great that the reviews from fellow board members are starting to come in. As far as purportedly critical assessments - it would seem the ones already linked to in this thread seem to exemplify how critics will react to the show. I realize that the musical had no more aspirations than to be a diverting trifle but still I can't help but be a bit disappointed that it's not shaping up to make a bit more of an impact than would seem to be the case, being as it's only the second instance of a UK tour of a Dusty-focused play and the first instance - perhaps undeservedly - came and went in 2000. With so many Dusty screen and stage projects having been planned it would be great for one to come to fruition with a bang - I still have hopes for the biographical play next year. But I'm glad the SOAPM musical while it is around is evidently entertaining audiences and may boost the appreciation of some somewhat casual fans of Dusty.

BTW - there has been an unofficial web page set up for the biographical Dusty jukebox musical at http://www.dustyspringfieldmusical.co.uk/ At present it features only barebones info familiar to anyone following this thread but it might be worth keeping an eye on.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby pat.dunham » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Yet another musical - bio due in London next year. TINA the life of Tina Turner. It will be in the Aldwych theatre from March to June. Pre-sale tickets are available through Amazon Tickets at moment for £11.00.
Believe producers are looking for a Tina at present.

Dusty? Cilla, Tina.
Who will be next ? :roll:
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:22 pm

ImageTina herself is endorsing the musical so presumably she had as much input into it as she wished. And Phyllida Lloyd who helmed the inaugural production of Mamma Mia! is directing (of course the two musicals must be radically disparate - unless Tina's life history is radically re-written).

I doubt if it's at all officially endorsed but a jukebox musical with split-focus on Aretha and Tina is currently playing. Hosted by an Edmonton Alberta dinner theater Super Soul Sistas is unlikely to be bound for Broadway or the West End but has earned at least one enthusiastic-yet-grounded review - which is worth reading if only to learn the phrase interstitial comment (the production eschews dramatic enactment in favor of between-numbers onstage biographical commentary) - http://www.gigcity.ca/2017/09/10/review ... ul-sistas/

Altho I still have hopes for the 2018 Dusty bio-jukebox musical I wonder about the viability of a portmanteau-style musical focused on Dusty and one or more of her "fellow" Britgirls - it might have more drawing power (hard to imagine not everyone's a Dusty fan but...) and with the biographical element being necessarily more condensed there might be less temptation to dwell on the darker episodes in Dusty's life.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:31 am

ImageI know I indicated that once the tone of the critical response to the SOAPM musical seemed established I'd lay off linking to reviews: however a review I found of this week's Sunderland Empire gig seems to me the most thorough and balanced critique to date - and I have read several besides the ones I've previously linked to - and therefore merited linking to.

So while awaiting Carole's response to next week's Manchester gig The North East Theatre Guide write-up of the SOAPM musical may be perused at http://nomorepanicbutton.blogspot.ca/ -it's the blog entry for September 19.

BTW I assume the statement describing the Preacher Man in the 60s: "You could listen to records in booths - even buy a coffee which hits by the likes of Dusty are played" should read "while hits... are played" as fifty years later we still don't have phonic coffee cups!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby jennifer49 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 am

Sweetbaby, Don't stop reviewing, I enjoy reading 'em. Had you not have posted that last review from the North East would never have known about it, so thank you for that.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 pm

ImageWell thanks for the thumbs up Jennifer. There actually aren't that many reviews showing up online - they're mostly by bloggers: I suspect the producers aren't sending comps to critics from the mainstream press - and except for one or two fawning write-ups the gist of the reviews I have read seems to be largely the same. So I think it's reasonable to give special focus to reviews which have at least somewhat of a distinct perspective. And as I said I'll pass on any news on the musical such as the recasts for the 2018 leg of the tour - a development which may not be announced for some time: I did wonder if given the praise she's drawing Diana Vickers might decide to stay on but she did confirm her departure in an interview with the Bolton News last week ("It’s a great show and I have got a lot out of it already and learned a lot. But I need to move on and see what else is out there for me”).
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby countrycake » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:59 pm

daydreamer wrote:There's been a discussion over on one of the Facebook sites after this snippet appeared in the Daily Mail today.

The attachment musical elton daily mail.jpg is no longer available

Daily Mail has today retracted this story and accepts it is not true.

[url]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article ... tions.html[/url]
Attachments
musical elton daily mail.jpg
musical elton daily mail.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 pm

countrycake wrote:Daily Mail has today retracted this story and accepts it is not true.

ImageWell it's certainly a step in the right direction for the production to not feature totally untrue info - hopefully there's also an overall disinterest in making actual events in Dusty's life overly dark.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 am

Three of us went to see 'Son of a Preacher Man' in Manchester yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd have to agree that the plot line is rather thin but that for me was helped by having read previous reviews and sort of knowing what to expect. The opening bars from the band of the intro to YDHTSYLM actually made me fill up, memories of the days when the curtains would open and it would actually be Dusty. The musicians were all excellent and in the main, all the singers carried the songs well, different, but well. Not all of the singers were natural dancers but CRH had done his job and there were some very good dance routines. For me, there was a lot of pleasure in knowing that every song was a song of Dusty's and I wasn't disappointed that none of them were done in Dusty's style, just like they weren't done in Abba's style in Mama Mia. The songs told a story, sometimes the words were changed slightly (esp in Middle of Nowhere) and sometimes the songs came back in another scene. For me the one's that worked best were 'A House is Not a Home', 'IJDKWTDWM' and 'How Can I Be Sure'. The one that didn't was possibly 'Anyone Who Had a Heart'. There were also a couple of Springfields songs and a Lana's song in there, again to tell a story. All in all, we were all happy with the show, Dusty was mentioned many times, she herself was part of the storyline which was especially nice. I also enjoyed the fact that there was no worry about someone playing Dusty and getting it wrong, not sounding like her, 'dark times' and bad bouffants! The Cappuccino Sisters are great as are Diana Vickers and Michael Howe and Debra Stevenson surprised me with her voice, I hadn't really expected her to be able to sing. I couldn't see into the circle but the stalls were more or less full and the audience very appreciative come the uplifting finale. [:)]

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby humboldt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks for taking time to post a review and glad that you liked it. Not sure that it's for me as I always end up being disappointed and wish that I had just stayed at home and played some CDs. Still it keeps Dusty's music alive.
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:57 pm

ImageThanks for the review Carole: I'm glad you and your friends enjoyed the show. Indications are that this will be this musical's farewell tour but it's good to know that while it's around there's a good chance Dusty's fans will get a kick out of it.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:45 pm

ImageTwo recasts for the 2018 leg of the SOAPM tour have been announced, with Alice Barlow and Michelle Gayle slated to assume respectively the roles of Kat and Alison currently played by respectively Diana Vickers and Debra Stephenson. Alice will make her debut at the musical's premiere 2018 gig at Southend January 16 - 20: however Michelle is not scheduled for the first seven SOAPM gigs for 2018 making her debut at Aylesbury March 6 - 10. Not clear if Debra's staying onboard for those first seven gigs or if there'll be an interim recast (I wouldn't think any of the play's current supporting actresses are in the right age range to cover the part). [;)] And never fear - I'll make sure to provide the details of Ian Reddington's replacement as soon as they're made known!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 pm

AllOrNothingDusty.png
AllOrNothingDusty.png (25.23 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Happy to confirm that a firm date has been set for Dusty's West End debut - and it won't be via the Katherine Kingsley vehicle scheduled to premiere in Bath next June. I've mentioned in this thread how the constantly touring Faces jukebox musical All or Nothing features Sophia Behn in a cameo as Dusty singing YDHTSYLM: it's just been announced that All or Nothing will play the Arts Theatre near Leicester Square for a February 6 - March 11 2018 engagement. As evidenced by the above pic of Sophia in action, All or Nothing is continuing the tradition of portraying Dusty in bad wigs: in this case there is the probable excuse that as Sophia portrays other characters in the play - including Steve Marriott's wife Jenny and also Cher - her costumes and accessories likely have to be "quick-change friendly". A cast recording of 29 tracks has been announced and likely includes Sophia's YDHTSYLM (and also Angel of the Morning by Dami Olukoya as P P Arnold): however it does not seem to yet be available for preview.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 am

ImageWell - altho I assumed the female supporting cast of Son of a Preacher Man were all too young to sub for Debra Stephenson, reportedly "Cappuccino Sister" Michelle Long did just that at Tuesday's opening night in Stoke-on-Trent, so perhaps she'll be covering the role in the 2018 leg of the tour until Michelle Gayle comes on-board in March. BTW - two of the three top-billed stars were MIA in Stoke: besides Debra, Ian Reddington was a no-show with a resultant promotion (at least for the night) for Gary Mitchinson from unspecified ensemble member to the title role!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:47 pm

ImageHopefully a unique occurrence - despite the show going on with two subs at at least one Stoke-on-Trent performance, last Friday's performance was cancelled "due to illness within the cast". Apparently the Saturday matinee and evening performances were presented as scheduled, and the show is still scheduled to begin its Edinburgh engagement at the King's Theatre on Tuesday.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:30 pm

ImageThe show did indeed open as scheduled in Edinburgh - with "swing" Jess Barker subbing for Diana Vickers. I'm posting the two-out-of-five star Broadway World (UK) review as it does have a somewhat different perspective than the previous reviews - being more negative (eg. "Son of a Preacher Man is exactly the kind of show that gives jukebox musicals a bad name.") However it makes a nice change to see Debra Stephenson - not previously a critical fave - lauded for "[having] the best vocals in the cast". Here's the link for the full review: https://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/a ... h-20171018
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:59 pm

This post is recommended for completists only!

A review of the second Edinburgh performance indicates that Diana was back onstage - and for the first time she got a critical diss: perhaps she was still under the weather.

The review's opening statement: "Popular history proves that when times are tough, we get nostalgic. With the popularity (and box office kerching) of Jukebox Musicals, the legendary Dusty Springfield’s back catalogue of heart and soul hits was an obvious choice", strikes me as ironic considering the high mortality rate of proposed Dusty-focused projects: all of the screen projects have evaporated while the few stage projects which have made it to the stage - beginning with the Mari Wilson vehicle in 2000 - have kicked up no noticeable dust, a trend the SOAPM musical seems fated to further. I am perhaps unfairly downplaying the local success of the Australian musical but its intended West End transfer fell through. I'm hoping the latest supposedly West End bound project at least gets to the West End - obviously I hope for more than that but...

Any road, the import of the EdinburghGuide.com review of night #2 in Edinburgh - which like the opening night notice affords the show two-out-of-five stars - is pretty much encapsulated in the passage following the opening statement: "this [production] diminishes the iconic music with a laughable plot, clunky direction, phoned in vocals and questionable choreography. Warner Brown’s book might be plausible for a musical on paper, the genre where we are most adept at suspending our disbelief, but the execution is absurdly awkward with many holes in the narrative, terrible transitions and a ludicrous shmaltzy finish. It’s the definition of shoehorning a story around a selection of songs." If anyone's interested in how critic Lindsay Corr expands on her discontent, the full review may be viewed by clicking http://www.edinburghguide.com/reviews/m ... view-18674
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:02 pm

ImageThree further venues - for a total of four - have been announced to host "the other Dusty musical" beginning next June and running through July. Details here : http://www.whatsonstage.com/bath-theatr ... 44927.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Here's the link to the website for next year's 'Dusty'. I like the website format, sparkle and colour, I hope it's a good omen. Recommended age 14+ though, it contains strong language! And it's playing the Lowry which is almost on my doorstep.

http://www.dustyspringfieldmusical.com/

Carole x
daydreamer

PreviousNext

Return to Don't Forget About Me