Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm

ImageI realize it's not necessary for every pic relating to the SOAPM musical to be reproduced here but I think a good number of my board buds will be interested in the set design: click to enlarge -
SOAPMset.png

Since the set features a street map I don't think I'm being overly petty in mentioning that there is in fact no tube station on Denmark Street where the promo has stated the SOAPM club is located - the nearest would be Tottenham Court at St Giles Circus (BTW - this isn't a criticism).
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby trek007 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:57 am

Looks abit like the Cavern!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:27 pm

trek007 wrote:Looks abit like the Cavern!

For comparison consideration - click to enlarge:
TheCavern.PNG
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 pm

ImageNo new info on the SOAPM musical but at least all existing info - for the most part - may now be viewed at http://sonofapreachermanmusical.com/, the site having been given a thorough updating which includes clickable pix of all the cast members which link to each performer's background info. For some reason the site still isn't featuring all the tour dates, the most recent listing of which may be observed here - https://www.londontheatre1.com/tickets/ ... acher-man/

And I want to make sure my board buds are aware that the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the SOAPM musical may be accessed by clicking the appropriate icons at the upper right-hand corner of the SOAPM musical site: unlike the site these accounts have been updated regularly and altho it's unlikely there'll be much if any additional info at this point, rehearsal pix seem to be posted constantly on these Twitter and Facebook pages.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Diana Vickers is due to appear on 'Lorraine' 8.30 tomorrow morning (11th) talking about the Son of a Preacher Man tour.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 pm

A single has been released to promote the musical, Diana Vickers singing SOAPM. I was sent the links should anyone wish to listen or buy [:)]

https://open.spotify.com/track/0ytzejrlTV3YHWUzWo5Uug Apple Music
http://hyperurl.co/p5hnu6

Amazon
http://hyperurl.co/nk0tsw

Google Play
http://hyperurl.co/qyttiy

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:00 pm

CLICK TO ENLARGE
SOAPM.png
Curtain call from last night's premiere of the SOAP{M musical at the Churchill in Bromley which played to a full house. Hopefully the elan displayed by the cast was shared by the audience - I can't find any online reaction to the musical at all. I believe some of my board buds have tickets for Birmingham next week - please don't be shy about talking about the show here.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:34 am

Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby trek007 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 pm

I am going Thursday...so will post a review!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:24 pm

I've seen a few positive posts on Twitter from people who were there. One said she'd write a review, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:05 pm

ImageWell...I've found a review which I fear rates the musical two stars out of five - which seems generous of the writer given her review's content. Of course jukebox musicals often go over bigger with audiences than with critics but this critic: Sarah McPartlan, has responded much more positively to several other productions which IMHO are cut from the same cloth as the SOAPM musical. That said - I'm not suggesting anyone drop their plans to to see the show because of one review. And Ms McPartlan in no way indicates that the show reflects badly on Dusty. Any road - interested parties may read the review at this link: http://musicaltheatremusings.co.uk/son- ... eacher-man
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:49 pm

ImageTwo more reviews - one which largely corroborates the misgivings expressed in the earlier review, the most serious IMHO being the contention that the play's focal idea is never really developed into a plot. On the plus side - Diana Vickers is again lauded, and the blogger: Katie Rose, does state: "watching the finale it was clear that the audience did enjoy themselves. If you are a fan of Dusty Springfield this maybe the musical for you". This review may be viewed here: http://www.rosereview.co.uk/?p=1165

There's also a five-out-of-five stars review whose writer: Jeanine Jones, can't seem to find enough good things to say about the show: again there's especial praise for Diana Vickers who's ID'd as the performer of both IOWTBWY and Anyone Who Had a Heart. This review may be viewed here: http://www.rewritethisstory.com/2017/09 ... chill.html

Both reviews feature performance pix which may also be viewed at the play's Facebook page.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Just to say thanks for searching out these reviews, much appreciated. I hope I enjoy it as much as the third reviewer [:D]

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:23 pm

ImageWell - I thought the Birmingham gig might get some reviews in the mainstream press but nothing so far. I've found a fourth blogger review of the Bromley engagement which I fear makes it three naysayers against one hooraysayer. This latest review does echo the misgivings of the previous negative reviews as far as finding the script flaccid and the doubling of actors as onstage musicians clumsy - blogger Ian Foster also adds to the praise afforded Diana Vickers. Hopefully the play's purported shortcomings don't prevent it from being entertaining but while I realize it's early days I'm moved to prophesy that Son of a Preacher Man will turn out to be as much of a non-event as the Mari Wilson-helmed Dusty musical that was launched at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley seventeen years ago. Anway - you can read Ian Foster's blog here: http://oughttobeclowns.blogspot.ca/2017 ... .html#more
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Douggie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:28 am

Sweetbaby wrote:ImageWell - I thought the Birmingham gig might get some reviews in the mainstream press but nothing so far. I've found a fourth blogger review of the Bromley engagement which I fear makes it three naysayers against one hooraysayer. This latest review does echo the misgivings of the previous negative reviews as far as finding the script flaccid and the doubling of actors as onstage musicians clumsy - blogger Ian Foster also adds to the praise afforded Diana Vickers. Hopefully the play's purported shortcomings don't prevent it from being entertaining but while I realize it's early days I'm moved to prophesy that Son of a Preacher Man will turn out to be as much of a non-event as the Mari Wilson-helmed Dusty musical that was launched at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley seventeen years ago. Anway - you can read Ian Foster's blog here: http://oughttobeclowns.blogspot.ca/2017 ... .html#more

Hi Sweetbaby

I can understand from your posts promoting this production that you are some what taken by this show and there is nothing wrong with this. However I am always wary of any show that wants a Dusty connection through her great songs which is also OK! I get your point so please let it run it's course be it successful or a flop. There have been many more Dusty influenced shows before and there will be many many more to come I am sure. I would think by now that everybody who goes onto this web site knows of this show which has had posts since February 2017 and will decide to go or not go. Great for your passion but Please [beg] post some other subjects.

[bow]

Thank you
Douugie
<3 Dusty :thumbsup: :note:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby jennifer49 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Went to the Alex, Birmingham yesterday afternoon and yes 9/10, will say why dropped the one at the end.
Had a great time, really enjoyed it. The plot had a few twists and turns which wasn't expecting and couldn't
wait to get to the end to see how it all panned out.
Went with the notion that this wasn't about Dusty, but it is, she is referred to right the way through, but only
because of her musical accomplishments, nothing else. Even one of her records was played on stage at one point
in the plot, but won't say which one, so won't spoil it for other people going. For those at the back or for people
who can't hear very well, probably wouldn't have heard it as turned down low for background music at that stage in the plot.
Three or four other songs were also snook in, but only sung by Dusty on stage, or possibly some of her favourites, but not recorded by her with the exception of one.
Have to say well done to the stage musicians, such beautiful sounds, think was the flutes and saxophones, in the opening scenes the musicians moved off to the right of the stage and stood in a circle to finish what they were playing, it was so beautiful wasn't taking much notice of what else was going on, I just couldn't take my
eyes off them.
All done very well, and they looked like they were enjoying themselves and a young cast to be introduced to Dusty's music. Now I'm going to come to the last little bit, was disappointed that Diana didn't have a song to sing all for herself. Has such a powerful voice, I just wanted her to stand in the middle of the stage and sing out
into the audience, but she didn't, when singing Son Of A Preacher Man was joined by the rest of the cast, could
still hear her because of her powerful voice, but was a little drowned out somewhat. Some of the other cast did
their own songs but not her, was always joined by someone else.
The audience were a bit reserved, no standing ovation at the end, just a few people did, and when they were all taking their solo bows at the end it was Ian Reddington who got the cheers and whistles and not Diana.
Maybe because the face was more familiar.
The Programme is nice, £4.00 and got a couple of pictures of you know who. A great tribute to Dusty this is because its such great music. The writer must be a fan, has got to be, and will have a few more by the time this show has run its course.
Glad I went, would recommend.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 pm

ImageDouggie I understand what you're saying - and I'd love to post about other things but the SOAPM musical seems to be the only active element on the "Dusty radar" at present. I used to participate quite heavily in this forum's threads with "what would Dusty..." and "why did Dusty..." type headings but as traffic here has declined in recent times these threads seldom crop up anymore and I'm not really "up" for initiating them myself. I have in fact initiated threads here of late but they don't seem to catch any evident interest. After posting in this thread yesterday I did prep the initial post in a planned thread on the UK tour of Carole King's Beautiful but I ultimately decided on the basis of such recent forum posts I've made as on Bette Midler starring on Broadway in Hello, Dolly! that overall interest here in info on the Beautiful tour would be low if not nil, and that I should trust that anyone who would in fact be interested would learn of it on their own.

However I'm not just posting about the SOAPM musical for the sake of posting, and I'm not really "taken with" the musical per se. As I've said my interest is primarily based on its being a relatively high-profile Dusty related project. And I'm not trying to influence my board buds' decisions on whether or not to attend - my perspective is that as there's almost 4500 miles between me and the nearest venue hosting the SOAPM musical I can only experience the musical as much as possible secondhand and while I respect your position I believe I'm correct in feeling that there are other people who visit this board who can't see the musical but have an interest in it and appreciate as much info as they can get: I understand that any potentially interested parties can trawl the web as much as I can but I do seem to have a bit of a knack for it and IMO it's not really overkill for me to concentrate the flow of info on the SOAPM musical here. Overall I feel each successive post I've made in this thread has conveyed additional information and with the musical having just opened last week then the critical response to it is news. If I were to post links to every review of the show from now til next July that might [:D] be overkill but while I certainly plan to read as many reviews as possible myself I won't be moved to share them here - unless there is something new conveyed about the show. And if I'm not scooped on it I certainly plan to post updates here such as any re-casting for the 2018 leg of the tour.

Any way Douggie - like everyone else here I appreciate your participation in this board more than I can say. And I hope my response to your voiced concern has been respectful and not seemed dismissive. I'm sure you're not the only board member who thinks I've been hammering away over-much on the musical - a time or two I've actually acknowledged this saying in effect "I know I've gone on and on already but please at least skim my new post". Of course it's up to my board buds whether or not they want to give a post any more attention once they see the Image icon.

Thanks again Douggie for your input.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 pm

ImageThanks for the report Jennifer - am glad you enjoyed it. Hope I don't across as needy but perhaps at some point someone who sees the show can post scans from the programme?
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby jennifer49 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Hi Sweetbaby,

No you don't come across as needy, just interested like the majority of us. If I knew where you lived I would go and get you a Programme and post it to you, but you live abroad don't you?
I'm sure someone will see your post and do the honours of a scan as I am unable to, don't know how.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 pm

jennifer49 wrote:Hi Sweetbaby,

No you don't come across as needy, just interested like the majority of us. If I knew where you lived I would go and get you a Programme and post it to you, but you live abroad don't you?
I'm sure someone will see your post and do the honours of a scan as I am unable to, don't know how.

Jennifer

ImageYes Jennifer - altho British-born I live on the West Coast (actually off the West Coast) of Canada. Any road - I don't really have a personal proprietal interest in the programme but thought if possible it would be nice if it could be showcased on Dusty's fansite. Again I'm glad you enjoyed the musical.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

PreviousNext

Return to Don't Forget About Me