Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby daydreamer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am

The man playing Vic Billings is Steve Furst, who looks absolutely nothing like the handsome Vic Billings! I saw this photo on Twitter yesterday, posted by Simon Sinfield who lists himself as a stage manager. He said he was blown away by the musical talent in the room.

Workshop.jpg
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

daydreamer wrote:The man playing Vic Billings is Steve Furst, who looks absolutely nothing like the handsome Vic Billings! I saw this photo on Twitter yesterday, posted by Simon Sinfield who lists himself as a stage manager. He said he was blown away by the musical talent in the room.

Workshop.jpg

Fingers cross that we are all blown away by the talent...lol

I don't think the cast in general are going to look anything like the people they are playing, whereas Sheridan Smith looked like Cilla and captured her mannerisms in the TV programme.
Positive thinking however!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm

I still think Sheridan would have made a better Dusty than a Cilla [:)] She got Cilla's mannerism's down and they gave her the right hair but Cilla was tall with stick like legs, whereas Sheridan is small and definitely more physically matched to Dusty. I wish she'd auditioned for this musical.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 pm

ImageThanks for the ID Carole - I agree Mr Furst looks nothing like Vic and any road whatever his importance in her career I don't see Vic figuring much in Dusty's story so I'm kind of surprised that Vic would be the first role in the musical confirmed (besides Dusty herself of course). But certainly Mr Furst seems enthused about the project which is good.

I don't know how Sheridan Smith would feel about playing Dusty - like you needed me to tell you that! - : after starring in last year's West End Funny Girl revival Sheridan is currently touring with the play with confirmed dates til August and I'd suspect more to come. I knew of course Sheridan was a major star in the UK but I was surprised to read in the Edinburgh Reporter's Funny Girl review that Sheridan "has been described as ‘the greatest theatre star of her generation’"! Obviously it would be great to have a guaranteed box office draw in the role of Dusty - Katherine's gotten great notices but IMHO her career to this point has been as a co-star rather than leading lady. But then Dusty herself I'd rate as a figure of wide public interest even beyond her committed fan base. And hopefully this public interest in Dusty will be fanned by as good reviews as are feasible for a jukebox musical.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby trek007 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:34 pm

daydreamer wrote:I still think Sheridan would have made a better Dusty than a Cilla [:)] She got Cilla's mannerism's down and they gave her the right hair but Cilla was tall with stick like legs, whereas Sheridan is small and definitely more physically matched to Dusty. I wish she'd auditioned for this musical.

I agree about Sheridan. When I saw her in Funny Girl I could "see " Dusty in her performance.
But she is tied up touring with Funny G. So it's not to be unfortunately.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Another shot from the rehearsals that appeared on Twitter. This is Katherine Kingsley as Dusty and Naana Agyei-Ampadu as 'Lois'. Who Lois is, is anyone's guess!

musical lois.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:28 am

ImageWell I feel pretty confident in ID'ing Lois as this production's equivalent of Reno in the Oz Dusty musical and Claire in Forever Dusty: ie. a fictional stand-in to represent Dusty's partners. And this is a role I was expecting.

Naana Agyei-Ampadu has appeared in several musicals and been complimented for her powerful singing voice so likely Lois like Reno will also stand-in for Martha Reeves or another female R&B singer Dusty encountered.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 pm

A couple more workshop photos from Twitter plus extra tweets

musical back view.jpg

musical rehearsal.jpg

kath ❄️ Retweeted DUSTY
I saw workshop of this today. It's wonderful!!Proud of Mr Harvey. Keep your kohl eyes peeled for venue/dates. Ms Kingsley is a superstar!

katherine kingsley‏ @katkingsley 3h3 hours ago

Best couple of weeks of my life #dusty

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:16 am

Saw these on Twitter Carole everythings looking really promising.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 pm

ImageWell - with all the buzz about the upcoming high profile Dusty-focused musicals Forever Dusty may seem like yesterday's news but the Kirsten Holly Smith vehicle that played off-Broadway in 2012-13 is making its UK debut this very week, playing at the Brookside Theatre in Romford at 8 pm on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and at 2 pm and 8 pm on Saturday. No big names - no surprise - but all the lead roles seem to be filled by professionals with Dusty portrayed by Katherine Ferguson, and if she's the Katherine Ferguson who's online CV I found she's 5'3" just like Dusty!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat May 06, 2017 1:48 am

ForeverDustyIcon.PNG
ForeverDustyIcon.PNG (53.37 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Reportedly the UK premiere of Forever Dusty has been selling out: even noting the venue's small capacity - 140 seats - that's still good news. This review - click to enlarge - appears on the Hornchurch Life website: not to be rude to a fellow Dusty fan but IMHO as reviews go it's barely there! Still glad he evidently enjoyed it.
ForeverDustyReview.PNG

Odd that Dusty's role is attributed to Katherine Beaumont - not sure why the actress' surname doesn't read Ferguson as in the all the advance promo including a Romford Recorder article of April 29 which quoted Katherine Ferguson - so identified and described as a 25 year old local resident - : "I knew of [Dusty's] music because my parents used to play her songs and she has such a unique voice. When I saw the casting [call] I thought I’ll give it a go because it’s such an iconic role. When I got the call I was in complete shock.

"It’s a lot of pressure because it’s called Forever Dusty but I’m ready to take on the role and the director Jai [Sepple] knows so much about her and wants to make sure the real facts are in the musical. It really does show her whole life and the parts of her life that maybe [the public] didn’t get to see. It also concentrates on a lot of the issues around at that time like segregation and the fact that she was interested in boys and girls, there was all these issues going on and I think she had a lot of courage to go through all that.

"It’s a fantastic show and she’s such an inspirational woman we want to do her justice.” You can view the complete article by clicking http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/r ... -1-4996360
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby humboldt » Sat May 06, 2017 10:52 pm

I see that it's coming to Glasgow in May, May 2018! I think that I'll just play my CDs and read DWD.
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 am

Yes I think you could be right . This sounds like yet another excuse to trot out " the dark side" just to keep the shallow flitting brains of today's audiences happy. " ooh didn't know that about her did you... shock horror..."
I wish they would leave her in peace. :roll:
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 pm

ImageHmmm - is there some wariness over the SOAPM musical? I would think this is one musical Dusty fans can anticipate without stress as it will feature Dusty's hits without positing on her life one way or another.

Any road: altho the musical's website hasn't been updated - and still no cast members have been "annonced" - there are indeed five further 2018 engagements listed at the ATG ticket site viewable at http://www.atgtickets.com/shows/son-of-a-preacher-man/

Oddly the ATG site is at present not displaying the previously announced 2018 engagements in Southend and Nottingham. Is this just an error in updating the list of engagements or have two engagements indeed been canceled? Were the latter true I would think ATG should have still listed the Southend and Nottingham engagements but noted them as canceled. I'll keep checking back for the official site's update.

The furthest-off engagement listed at ATG is at the Liverpool Empire July 3-7 2018 which is ten months from the play's premiere run in Bromley and probably will be the tour's final gig barring a West End transfer. There's currently gaps in the months of March and May and no shows scheduled in June so some additional engagements will probably be forthcoming - hopefully one in Wales!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Tue May 09, 2017 8:43 am

No Richard, I would think soapm will be OK as it's just a song and dance show which will be lavish as it's Craig Revel Horwood using her lovely songs.
I just don't like these stage shows they are trying to churn out about Dusty herself.
I have only seen one of the recent ones and that was enough. It's a personal view of course.
I enjoyed the recent three part take on the Cilla Black story with Sheridan Smith so maybe it's just the poor quality of the Dusty productions and the fact that her wonderful ability is given less room than the more controversial side to her life. As I have mentioned before, Cilla was lucky that she had the Liverpool links and people like Bill Kenwright are involved in productions about her.
Poor Dusty nearly had Sandi Toksvig and V. W. production amongst others. :roll:
I just don't see the appeal of doctored old footage and actresses dressed up as her.
I was lucky enough to have seen her live , so that and the collection I have of her will suffice for me unless they ever produce something worthy of her and not some hashed up demolition of her colourful life.
Whatever happens those who like this sort of thing will enjoy it and that's fine.
Maybe I just care about her legacy too much. It can be difficult to be objective about her.
Everyone to his own.... [:)]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue May 09, 2017 11:21 pm

ImageSure Liz - I actually figured your reservations were about staged depictions of Dusty's life but there seemed to have been postings which were wary of the SOAPM musical which evidently will reference Dusty only by featuring her songs, and I did wonder if some posters might specifically object to that. And if so of course they've every right to. But I would like to state my position that barring some unknown factor the SOAPM musical has to be benign as regards Dusty's legacy.

I've never had the opportunity to see even one of the Dusty musicals and admittedly can only comment with regard to what I've read about them online and without being dismissive of any of my board bud's reservations of rehashings of Dusty's life, these productions do seem to have won Dusty some new fans, and even when a production has elicited a negative reaction I've never seen an anti-Dusty comment caused by any of the musicals about her.

While I'll probably never have the chance to see the Dusty musical scheduled for a West End debut next year I was pleased with the casting of an actress with a background in musical comedy. IMHO any depiction of Dusty's life will have to include what might be termed controversial aspects but definitely a stage musical isn't the appropriate vehicle for in-depth exploration of these aspects. So I'm hoping that casting Katherine Kingsley as Dusty indicates that the main focus of the Dusty musical will be a lighthearted one.

Anyone still there? Just wanted to mention the SOAPM musical website still hasn't added the new dates and the ATG website still isn't listing the previously announced Southend and Nottingham engagements next January-February.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu May 11, 2017 3:17 am

ImageWell - the burning question of whether it's still a go for the Southend and Nottingham engagements of the SOAPM musical seems to have been settled: the musical's official site has updated the tour dates page and the previously announced engagements at the Cliffs Pavilion in Southend and Theater Royal in Nottingham are listed before the six new engagements booked March to July 2018. Odd that the ATG site still omits the Southend/ Nottingham dates and also the premiere engagement at the Churchill in Bromley. Still no cast "annonced".
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu May 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Dusty&Dusty.png
Dusty&Dusty.png (128.94 KiB) Viewed 908 times
The Morning Star newspaper review yesterday of the Faces jukebox musical All or Nothing elaborated somewhat on Dusty's cameo singing YDHTSYLM: "[Steve] Marriott watches, awestruck, as Dusty Springfield (Sophia Ben [should be Behn]) sings. Taking her outstretched hand, he kisses it. The audience [at Kingston's Rose Theatre] actually sighed." (source@ https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-5 ... R3_ujjayCc) It's nice that the musical evidently honours Dusty - and IMHO rather ironic as the Faces were at the vanguard of the final wave of British music of the 60s which largely eclipsed the stardom of Dusty and her peers.

The Faces and Dusty both performed on the NME Poll Winners concert at Wembley on May 7 1967. If this specific context is referenced in All or Nothing then - as evidenced by the comparative snap above - they got the look way wrong! The Faces and Dusty had previously shared the guest roster on the Ready, Steady, Go! episode of September 17 1965 - of course Dusty did not then sing YDHTSYLM (her number in fact was SOYL) but RSG does figure in All or Nothing so perhaps the musical does bend facts to get Marriott and Dusty together. However as Sophia Behn plays RSG hostess Cathy McGowan in addition to Dusty IMHO it's logistically unlikely both characters would feature in the same sequence.

BTW - I understand if All or Nothing isn't in itself of much interest to Dusty's fans just because it touches on her but it is encouraging that the Faces jukebox musical is apparently doing very well: according to the Morning Star review there were at least 800 people in the audience (the Rose Theatre capacity is 899). So the current show business climate would seem to bode well for musicals focused on British acts.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed May 24, 2017 6:32 pm

ImageA new engagement for Son of a Preacher Man: the musical is scheduled to play His Majesty's Theatre in Aberdeen June 19 -23 2018. As of now it's not posted yet at the musical's official site but the details may be viewed here: http://www.aberdeenperformingarts.com/e ... eacher-man

Cast still unannounced - I understand Craig Revel Horwood and Dusty are "names" and obviously the bookings are coming but still...
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Cardiff Bluesgirl wrote:Yes I think you could be right . This sounds like yet another excuse to trot out " the dark side" just to keep the shallow flitting brains of today's audiences happy. " ooh didn't know that about her did you... shock horror..."
I wish they would leave her in peace. :roll:

Which is why I will forever resent Dancing with Bullcrap and anyone associated with it.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

PreviousNext

Return to Don't Forget About Me