Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby daydreamer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am

The man playing Vic Billings is Steve Furst, who looks absolutely nothing like the handsome Vic Billings! I saw this photo on Twitter yesterday, posted by Simon Sinfield who lists himself as a stage manager. He said he was blown away by the musical talent in the room.

Workshop.jpg
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

daydreamer wrote:The man playing Vic Billings is Steve Furst, who looks absolutely nothing like the handsome Vic Billings! I saw this photo on Twitter yesterday, posted by Simon Sinfield who lists himself as a stage manager. He said he was blown away by the musical talent in the room.

Workshop.jpg

Fingers cross that we are all blown away by the talent...lol

I don't think the cast in general are going to look anything like the people they are playing, whereas Sheridan Smith looked like Cilla and captured her mannerisms in the TV programme.
Positive thinking however!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm

I still think Sheridan would have made a better Dusty than a Cilla [:)] She got Cilla's mannerism's down and they gave her the right hair but Cilla was tall with stick like legs, whereas Sheridan is small and definitely more physically matched to Dusty. I wish she'd auditioned for this musical.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 pm

ImageThanks for the ID Carole - I agree Mr Furst looks nothing like Vic and any road whatever his importance in her career I don't see Vic figuring much in Dusty's story so I'm kind of surprised that Vic would be the first role in the musical confirmed (besides Dusty herself of course). But certainly Mr Furst seems enthused about the project which is good.

I don't know how Sheridan Smith would feel about playing Dusty - like you needed me to tell you that! - : after starring in last year's West End Funny Girl revival Sheridan is currently touring with the play with confirmed dates til August and I'd suspect more to come. I knew of course Sheridan was a major star in the UK but I was surprised to read in the Edinburgh Reporter's Funny Girl review that Sheridan "has been described as ‘the greatest theatre star of her generation’"! Obviously it would be great to have a guaranteed box office draw in the role of Dusty - Katherine's gotten great notices but IMHO her career to this point has been as a co-star rather than leading lady. But then Dusty herself I'd rate as a figure of wide public interest even beyond her committed fan base. And hopefully this public interest in Dusty will be fanned by as good reviews as are feasible for a jukebox musical.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby trek007 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:34 pm

daydreamer wrote:I still think Sheridan would have made a better Dusty than a Cilla [:)] She got Cilla's mannerism's down and they gave her the right hair but Cilla was tall with stick like legs, whereas Sheridan is small and definitely more physically matched to Dusty. I wish she'd auditioned for this musical.

I agree about Sheridan. When I saw her in Funny Girl I could "see " Dusty in her performance.
But she is tied up touring with Funny G. So it's not to be unfortunately.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Another shot from the rehearsals that appeared on Twitter. This is Katherine Kingsley as Dusty and Naana Agyei-Ampadu as 'Lois'. Who Lois is, is anyone's guess!

musical lois.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:28 am

ImageWell I feel pretty confident in ID'ing Lois as this production's equivalent of Reno in the Oz Dusty musical and Claire in Forever Dusty: ie. a fictional stand-in to represent Dusty's partners. And this is a role I was expecting.

Naana Agyei-Ampadu has appeared in several musicals and been complimented for her powerful singing voice so likely Lois like Reno will also stand-in for Martha Reeves or another female R&B singer Dusty encountered.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Previous

Return to Don't Forget About Me