Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Musical

Postby daydreamer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:22 pm

It's that time again....announcement of a new musical [:)] This has been in the pipeline for quite a while now and the people involved are well known in theatre circles and should hopefully be able to pull this together and make it work. Fingers crossed.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/ar ... 8-20170127

http://www.whatsonstage.com/london-thea ... 42753.html
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Re: Musical

Postby pat.dunham » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:33 am

We will have to wait and see. "Authorised", is an interesting point.
There have been so many attempts at a successful show let's hope they get it this time. Currently the Oz version of a Dusty show has been revived in Adelaide. There is a promotion trailer on YT.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby edjames » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Yes, so many productions have been "in the works" and failed to see the light of day. Sadly some missed the mark Given the strength of those who are behind this effort, i wish them luck. As with any production the critical element will the the casting of an singer/actress who can pull off the role. We have in the past been treated to many press released about various productions of Dusty's life and career, including both film and stage, only to have them never come to fruition. I, too, am curious as to the the phrase "authorized"...who?

Here are a few "announcements" from various sites:

New Dusty Springfield musical to get UK premiere
Maria Friedman will direct Dusty in 2018

Will Longman • Nationwide • 27 Jan 2017
© Dan Wooller for WhatsOnStage
A new Dusty Springfield musical will premiere in the UK in 2018.

Dusty will be directed by Maria Friedman, who made her directional debut in 2012 with Merrily We Roll Along and will be written by Jonathan Harvey.

The musical is based on the notes and memoirs of Springfield's close friend and manager Vicki Wickham. Harvey's research for the musical, which will tell the story of the singer's life, included interviews with her lifelong personal assistant Pat Rhodes and record company executive Tris Penna.

This is the first 'authorised' musical about the life of Springfield. In 2015, a different production called Dusty opened at the Charing Cross Theatre. It had a troubled time in the West End, with producers pushing the official press night back for three months, losing nine cast members in the process.

Dusty Springfield's solo career began in 1963 and she went on to have hit records including "I Only Want to Be with You", "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" and "What Have I Done to Deserve This?"

Dates, cast and venue for Dusty are yet to be announced.
Dusty will premiere in the UK in 2018.

New Dusty Springfield Musical DUSTY Set to Premiere in UK in 2018

by BWW News Desk Jan. 27, 2017
DUSTY, the first authorised new musical charting the life of Dusty Springfield is set to premiere in the UK in 2018. Details of dates, venue and casting are still to be announced.

Originating from the notes and memoirs of the late singer's close friend and manager Vicki Wickham, DUSTY is written byJonathan Harvey who tells the story behind this iconic artist having interviewed key people from her life including Pat Rhodes, Dusty's lifelong personal assistant, and friend and record company executive Tris Penna.

DUSTY will be directed by Olivier Award winning Maria Friedman.

Dusty Springfield is one Britain's most successful and enduringly popular singers, with hits spanning four decades. Born in London, she became known across the world for her soulful voice and iconic look. Her solo career began way back in 1963, and included the global hits "I Only Want to Be with You", "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" and 'What Have I Done to Deserve This?' with the Pet Shop Boys. Her 1969 masterpiece ''Dusty In Memphis' is considered one of the greatest albums of all time and Dusty has been inducted into both the US Rock and Roll and UK Music Halls of Fame.

Jonathan Harvey wrote his first play in 1987, and has since written over 15 more, including Babies, Boom Bang-A-Bang andBeautiful Thing, which was later made into an acclaimed film. He has been the recipient of the Evening Standard, George Devine and John Whiting Awards, and his work has been both Bafta- and Olivier-nominated. Jonathan's extensive television writing includes Coronation Street, on which he has worked since 2004, Beautiful People and Gimme, Gimme, Gimme. He has also written for shows as diverse as Rev, Shameless, At Home With The Braithwaites, The Catherine Tate Show andTracey Ullman's Show. He has also published five novels and been hailed as 'the new theatrical voice of his generation'.

Best known as a three-time Olivier Award winning star of the musical stage, director Maria Friedman made an astonishing directorial debut in 2012 with a hugely acclaimed production of Merrily We Roll Along which won Best Musical at the Evening Standard Awards 2013, the Oliver Awards 2014 (for which Maria was also nominated for Best Director of a Musical), and the Critic's Circle Award 2013. She went on to direct High Society at The Old Vic in 2015 and is currently directingStepping Out which will play the West End's Vaudeville Theatre from March 2017.

DUSTY is produced by Eleanor Lloyd Productions whose recent projects include Nell Gwynn with Gemma Arterton, Olivier Award for Best Comedy (Apollo), 1984 (Playhouse, 2014, 2015 & 2016), My Night with Reg, Olivier Nomination for Best Revival (Apollo), and Handbagged, Olivier Nomination for Best Comedy, (Vaudeville and UK tour).

Jonathan Harvey and Maria Friedman collaborating on new Dusty Springfield musical
The first authorised new musical charting the life of Dusty Springfield is in development.

Dusty Springfield
Friday, 27 January, 2017
Dom O'Hanlon

It has been announced that Jonathan Harvey and Maria Friedman are collaborating on Dusty a New Musical, the first authorised new musical charting the life of Dusty Springfield which is set to premiere in the UK in 2018.

Originating from the notes and memoirs of the late singer’s close friend and manager Vicki Wickham, Dusty is written by Jonathan Harvey who has interviewed key people from her life including Pat Rhodes, Dusty’s lifelong personal assistant, and friend and record company executive Tris Penna. The production will be directed by Olivier Award winner Maria Friedman.

Dusty Springfield is one Britain's most successful and enduringly popular singers, with hits spanning four decades. Born in London, she became known across the world for her soulful voice and iconic look. Her solo career began way back in 1963, and included the global hits "I Only Want to Be with You", “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me" and 'What Have I Done to Deserve This?’ with the Pet Shop Boys. Her 1969 masterpiece ''Dusty In Memphis' is considered one of the greatest albums of all time and Dusty has been inducted into both the US Rock and Roll and UK Music Halls of Fame.

Jonathan Harvey's plays include Babies, Boom Bang-A-Bang and Beautiful Thing. He has been the recipient of the Evening Standard, George Devine and John Whiting Awards, and his work has been both Bafta- and Olivier-nominated. Jonathan’s extensive television writing includes Coronation Street, Shameless, At Home With The Braithwaites, The Catherine Tate Show and Tracey Ullman's Show.

Maria Friedman made her directorial debut in 2012 with a hugely acclaimed production of Merrily We Roll Along which won Best Musical at the Oliver Awards 2014. She went on to direct High Society at The Old Vic in 2015 and is currently directing Stepping Out which will play the West End’s Vaudeville Theatre from March 2017.

Produced by Eleanor Lloyd Productions, further details including dates and venue for Dusty the Musical are yet to be announced.
edjames
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Douggie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:49 am

edjames wrote:Yes, so many productions have been "in the works" and failed to see the light of day. Sadly some missed the mark Given the strength of those who are behind this effort, i wish them luck. As with any production the critical element will the the casting of an singer/actress who can pull off the role. We have in the past been treated to many press released about various productions of Dusty's life and career, including both film and stage, only to have them never come to fruition. I, too, am curious as to the the phrase "authorized"...who?

Here are a few "announcements" from various sites:

New Dusty Springfield musical to get UK premiere
Maria Friedman will direct Dusty in 2018

Will Longman • Nationwide • 27 Jan 2017
© Dan Wooller for WhatsOnStage
A new Dusty Springfield musical will premiere in the UK in 2018.

Dusty will be directed by Maria Friedman, who made her directional debut in 2012 with Merrily We Roll Along and will be written by Jonathan Harvey.

The musical is based on the notes and memoirs of Springfield's close friend and manager Vicki Wickham. Harvey's research for the musical, which will tell the story of the singer's life, included interviews with her lifelong personal assistant Pat Rhodes and record company executive Tris Penna.

This is the first 'authorised' musical about the life of Springfield. In 2015, a different production called Dusty opened at the Charing Cross Theatre. It had a troubled time in the West End, with producers pushing the official press night back for three months, losing nine cast members in the process.

Dusty Springfield's solo career began in 1963 and she went on to have hit records including "I Only Want to Be with You", "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" and "What Have I Done to Deserve This?"

Dates, cast and venue for Dusty are yet to be announced.
Dusty will premiere in the UK in 2018.

by BWW News Desk Jan. 27, 2017
DUSTY, the first authorised new musical charting the life of Dusty Springfield is set to premiere in the UK in 2018. Details of dates, venue and casting are still to be announced.

Originating from the notes and memoirs of the late singer's close friend and manager Vicki Wickham, DUSTY is written byJonathan Harvey who tells the story behind this iconic artist having interviewed key people from her life including Pat Rhodes, Dusty's lifelong personal assistant, and friend and record company executive Tris Penna.

DUSTY will be directed by Olivier Award winning Maria Friedman.

Dusty Springfield is one Britain's most successful and enduringly popular singers, with hits spanning four decades. Born in London, she became known across the world for her soulful voice and iconic look. Her solo career began way back in 1963, and included the global hits "I Only Want to Be with You", "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" and 'What Have I Done to Deserve This?' with the Pet Shop Boys. Her 1969 masterpiece ''Dusty In Memphis' is considered one of the greatest albums of all time and Dusty has been inducted into both the US Rock and Roll and UK Music Halls of Fame.

Jonathan Harvey wrote his first play in 1987, and has since written over 15 more, including Babies, Boom Bang-A-Bang andBeautiful Thing, which was later made into an acclaimed film. He has been the recipient of the Evening Standard, George Devine and John Whiting Awards, and his work has been both Bafta- and Olivier-nominated. Jonathan's extensive television writing includes Coronation Street, on which he has worked since 2004, Beautiful People and Gimme, Gimme, Gimme. He has also written for shows as diverse as Rev, Shameless, At Home With The Braithwaites, The Catherine Tate Show andTracey Ullman's Show. He has also published five novels and been hailed as 'the new theatrical voice of his generation'.

Best known as a three-time Olivier Award winning star of the musical stage, director Maria Friedman made an astonishing directorial debut in 2012 with a hugely acclaimed production of Merrily We Roll Along which won Best Musical at the Evening Standard Awards 2013, the Oliver Awards 2014 (for which Maria was also nominated for Best Director of a Musical), and the Critic's Circle Award 2013. She went on to direct High Society at The Old Vic in 2015 and is currently directingStepping Out which will play the West End's Vaudeville Theatre from March 2017.

DUSTY is produced by Eleanor Lloyd Productions whose recent projects include Nell Gwynn with Gemma Arterton, Olivier Award for Best Comedy (Apollo), 1984 (Playhouse, 2014, 2015 & 2016), My Night with Reg, Olivier Nomination for Best Revival (Apollo), and Handbagged, Olivier Nomination for Best Comedy, (Vaudeville and UK tour).

Jonathan Harvey and Maria Friedman collaborating on new Dusty Springfield musical
The first authorised new musical charting the life of Dusty Springfield is in development.

Dusty Springfield
Friday, 27 January, 2017
Dom O'Hanlon

It has been announced that Jonathan Harvey and Maria Friedman are collaborating on Dusty a New Musical, the first authorised new musical charting the life of Dusty Springfield which is set to premiere in the UK in 2018.

Originating from the notes and memoirs of the late singer’s close friend and manager Vicki Wickham, Dusty is written by Jonathan Harvey who has interviewed key people from her life including Pat Rhodes, Dusty’s lifelong personal assistant, and friend and record company executive Tris Penna. The production will be directed by Olivier Award winner Maria Friedman.

Dusty Springfield is one Britain's most successful and enduringly popular singers, with hits spanning four decades. Born in London, she became known across the world for her soulful voice and iconic look. Her solo career began way back in 1963, and included the global hits "I Only Want to Be with You", “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me" and 'What Have I Done to Deserve This?’ with the Pet Shop Boys. Her 1969 masterpiece ''Dusty In Memphis' is considered one of the greatest albums of all time and Dusty has been inducted into both the US Rock and Roll and UK Music Halls of Fame.

Jonathan Harvey's plays include Babies, Boom Bang-A-Bang and Beautiful Thing. He has been the recipient of the Evening Standard, George Devine and John Whiting Awards, and his work has been both Bafta- and Olivier-nominated. Jonathan’s extensive television writing includes Coronation Street, Shameless, At Home With The Braithwaites, The Catherine Tate Show and Tracey Ullman's Show.

Maria Friedman made her directorial debut in 2012 with a hugely acclaimed production of Merrily We Roll Along which won Best Musical at the Oliver Awards 2014. She went on to direct High Society at The Old Vic in 2015 and is currently directing Stepping Out which will play the West End’s Vaudeville Theatre from March 2017.

Produced by Eleanor Lloyd Productions, further details including dates and venue for Dusty the Musical are yet to be announced.

Hi
I would say that "Authorized" means that Vicki is involved at a guess !!!
This situation has come up before where you have to have be authorized to do anything to do with Dusty.
However this is not true!! Dusty died and did not leave any documentation to say that her estate or any financial situation involving her life had to be sanctioned any anybody. That is why so many people have written books, shows and other things to MAKE MONEY FOR THEMSELVES!!! The only person who in my opinion would have any say would be Tom if he wanted it so. However I do not think it to be him.
Any authorization went when Dusty passed on. To me it is just another way to get people to spend their money.
On saying this only time will tell if indeed this is a good,great or bad show about Dusty authorized or not.. With the story about her music, her incredible voice and beautiful soul and not the bad things as so many others have
been in the past..

<3 Dusty :thumbsup: :note: Douggie
Last edited by Douggie on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Graham2010 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:56 am

A quick question for Douggie

In the early days Dusty featured The Love of a Boy in her stage shows.............a performance that I loved...............................................why did she never record it?
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Douggie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:32 am

Graham2010 wrote:A quick question for Douggie

In the early days Dusty featured The Love of a Boy in her stage shows.............a performance that I loved...............................................why did she never record it?

Hi Graham

I had forgotten this great song. We used to do this with her ages ago.
She never record this as a record but we did do it with her on Saturday Club.
Which I have posted below:- Broadcasted on 6th June 1964.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yubcveFv2qU

Cheers Douggie :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Graham2010 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks Douggie that was great.....................and what about Dusty's version of Soulful Dress by Sugar Pie Di Santo?
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 am

ImageWell I'll breathe a sigh of relief when there's some confirmation of premiere date, venue, casting and such - but as far as I can recall this is the first time a Dusty musical for a top-tier theatrical milieu has been announced: that in itself is encouraging. And judging from the current success of the Carole King and Gloria Estefan jukebox musicals on Broadway - the former also a West End smash with the autumn debut of its Oz production announced this week: the debut European production of the latter (in Holland) set for this fall - the hit potential for a jukebox bio-musical at present seems boundless! And if the critics and - more importantly - the theater-goers don't feel they have to say they love this Dusty musical - well it'll just join the repertory Dusty musicals that have come and gone without causing much of a ripple.

Speaking of the earlier Dusty musicals, Forever Dusty which played off-Broadway four years ago is currently playing what's billed as its West Coast debut in Port land Oregon: you can click here for what reads like a thoughtful review of the production: http://www.oregonlive.com/art/index.ssf ... oduct.html

Also a stage production of Dusty Won't Play, Annie Caulfield's radio play focused on Dusty's South African tour, ran this week in Glasgow: https://thetempohouse.wordpress.com/201 ... -oran-mor/
http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents ... __Glasgow/

And there's a new Dusty jukebox musical set to premiere at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley the first week of September: unlike the Mari Wilson vehicle which premiered at the Churchill seventeen years ago this month, Son of a Preacher Man isn't at all biographical, but rather uses Dusty's hits as the score of an original storyline which - IMHO fortunately! - also has nothing to do with the actual lyrics of the song. Click the image below to enlarge.
SOAPM.png
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby pat.dunham » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for all the info re Dusty shows.

I presume that "Dusty wont sing" is a much extended version of the radio play, which only covered the South African incident and had no songs as such.

It is interesting how many plays have been attempted. A full length play "Call me Dusty", by Derek Webb ,toured Wales a couple of years ago. "What have I done to deserve this", by Margaret Kynaston, a one act play set around two couples attending a Dusty convention. This comedy/drama is not a bio but is full of references to her and Dusty songs are played throughout. Again it has a Welsh connection as it is published by the Drama Association of Wales. The play has been produced at one act drama festivals and done very well.
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:12 am

DustyWontPlay.png
DustyWontPlay.png (56.64 KiB) Viewed 8556 times
Pat to me the linked reviews indicate that the staged production of Dusty Won't Play features several full song performances. And IMHO it would be advantageous if when translated from the media of radio to that of stage the play was modified to include song performances: with the staged version having the facility to show Dusty in performance - which the radio play obviously did not - I think it would be a waste not to. It seems the stage play was elastic with the timeline of Dusty's repertoire, including performances of YDHTSYLM and SOAPM. But then Dusty had only had four hits at the time of her South African tour. BTW- I do want to thank the author of Dusty Wont Play: Annie Caulfield, for providing Dusty with a platform. Sadly Ms Caulfield passed away last November.

When I started to post about the upcoming Dusty jukebox musical named for SOAPM I had no idea that it was opening at the same theater where the Dusty musical starring Mari Wilson had opened seventeen years ago just shy of a year after Dusty's passing: I assume the 2000 musical was the first Dusty stage play and - unless I'm very much mistaken - it remains the only one to tour in the UK or - except for the 2006 Australian Dusty musical which just encored - anywhere else. I know there was talk of a West End run for both shows - and reportedly the Oz show was actually in some manner signed for a West End transfer - but of course in neither case did this pan out.

Since the turn of the century there's always seemed to be a Dusty musical playing somewhere with none of them really blipping the radar of public consciousness: I'm hoping that the West End production now scheduled for 2018 will at least have a modicum of the success enjoyed by such jukebox musicals as Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys. I vaguely remembered the abandoned Sandi Toksvig-penned Dusty musical announced for a 2015 West End run, but I hadn't realized it had progressed to the point of assigning a director or having a workshop planned for the autumn of 2014 before the project evaporated: I do hope some specifics of the Dusty musical announced for the West End in 2018 are soon forthcoming but obviously it will be a while before there's in any way a guarantee of fruition.

Vicki Wickham was set to be adviser on the Toksvig play in connection with which she told the Daily Mail there had been a lot of “really bad” shows and scripts associated with Dusty. In fact I don't think any of the Dusty projects to that point had been considered disasters - although that was coming up with the 2015 Charing Cross production. I don't mean to rag a production team who I'm sure had their hearts in the right place - but it's just a fact that the critical response the Charing Cross production drew was extremely critical. But despite that production's lack of favor and the possibility that some might share Vicki's opinion of earlier Dusty musicals I don't think any of the staged tributes to Dusty have had a negative effect on her reputation. I'll be happy if the latest Dusty musical bound for the West End actually arrives there: as I've said IMHO there's real hit potential there and even if that doesn't happen well what's one more Dusty musical that's come and gone?
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:27 am

ImageWell after that last post you wouldn't think I'd have anything left to say on the subject of Dusty musicals - or perhaps any subject! - but I found another review of the Portland production of Forever Dusty and while the review I already posted was fairly strong this review is IMHO the review of a Dusty fan's dreams. I know I've already put in several links to reviews in this thread but I really hope my board buds avail themselves of this one: as the critic says in closing her review of Forever Dusty: "You will enjoy it."
http://www.broadwayworld.com/portland/a ... Y-20170214
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Here's some scenes from the recent Aussie revival of Dusty The Musical - it looks pretty lavish:

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:46 am

ImageWhile I know Dusty had her share of success down under I'm somewhat surprised that Australia seems to be the cradle for Dusty stage shows much more so than her native land. Altho I assumed that the 2000 Mari Wilson vehicle was the inaugural Dusty jukebox musical in fact at least one Dusty jukebox musical was performed during Dusty's lifetime, and that was an Australian production: I Only Want to Be With You which opened in Melbourne in Mary 1995 with a 1997-98 encore production which included at least one UK date playing Bournemouth Pier in the summer of 1998: I gather the production might be classed as more of a tribute act than the all-out Dusty stage musicals of the later decades but it did evidently feature a prepared libretto. Any road - there's a clip of the show's Dusty: Wendy Stapleton, interviewing none other than Douggie Reece in this thread: http://www.dustyspringfield.org.uk/foru ... f=7&t=7610

And there are extant posts from LTD members Carole/Daydreamer and the late great Brian who both saw Wendy in Bournemouth in 1998: I hope I'm not being presumptuous in citing said posts - Carole has stated that she found Wendy's accent jarring, while Brian's comment was "I remember several years ago I attended the first of the Dusty 'tribute' shows that appeared after her death - an Australian girl (can't remember her name? - Carole!). We saw it one Saturday in Bournemouth and there were less that 40 people in the audience, making it very hard work!" (Actually the gig would have preceded Dusty's passing by some nine months.)

And then of course Dusty: the Original Pop Diva in 2006 ran in three Oz venues for a total of 253 performances. Kind of surprising that this musical was able to hold fast through a four year preparatory stage while the 2014 Dusty musical announced for a 2015 West End run evaporated within a year (hopefully the Dusty musical currently in the offing for a West End run won't get offed). And while the 2000 Mari Wilson vehicle played 18 UK venues to disappear with nary a trace ...Original Pop Diva seems to have become a staple of Oz repertory theatre while still being able to generate a recent professional encore run in Melbourne and Adelaide: while critics typically have little regard for jukebox musicals - and certainly reviews for the original ...Original Pop Diva were mixed - the play's recent incarnation actually seems to be that rarity: a jukebox musical that the critics like! (eg."Listen to the voice and watch [Dusty] brought to life by Amy Lehpamer and you see and hear something unforgettable...This show, in this new and much improved incarnation adds to [Dusty's ] legend" - Diana Simmonds @StageNoise.com) (BTW - during its recent professional encore the Oz musical dropped the Original Pop Diva subtitle being billed simply as Dusty; the musical.)
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Douggie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:24 am

IWannaBeABluesSinger wrote:Here's some scenes from the recent Aussie revival of Dusty The Musical - it looks pretty lavish:

Maggie

Hi Maggie

It may look lavish however it is still the crappy script and singing that went
with the original show a few years ago.
I looked at the above clip and thought that the movements reminded me of
Julie Louise Dreyfus in the role of Elaine Benes trying to dance in Seinfeld.
Her voice (the Dusty lead)may have been OK when she was in The Sound of Music
but certainly not as Dusty. Wrong voice totally!
She also appeared on a couple of TV shows promoting the show here in Australia
and sounded completely wrong. I had trouble with these people (The Producers) when
they put it on once before. Now they have brought it back again. They are trying to get
this show to the UK and is one of the shows that Vicki referred to as a bad show.
It is all about money for these people.
We keep getting these nearly correct shows about Dusty. I say nearly because they seem to miss
many things, probably as they base all the story lines on the information from many books that
have been put out there with missing important details. There are times when I think I would just
like to put it all in perspective for them and cut through much of the misinformation that is out there.
However sensibility kicks in and I just think let them get on with it even though many missed the point.
There are people who do understand this, but don't want to discuss it. Sadly many are getting older.
I use to have a tag taken from The X Files "The Truth is out There", but when they go "The Truth won't be out There".
Sorry I get very passionate and upset by all this.
Yet another show NOT concentrating on her Great Voice & Songs.
Maggie we have spoken about many things in the past, and I know that you understand how frustrating
it can be convincing others about things that you know are true! How do you try and tell closed minds!!!
Some are so sure that what they know is the only truth, not listening to any other possibility.
I remember an old saying" You can not argue with a closed mind" that seems to be the problem!!

<3 Dusty :thumbsup: :note:

Douggie

The Truth is out There!!
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 am

Hi Douggie <3 <3

I know what you mean - and I think we have Vicious Wickham to thank for most of the misconceptions. She seems to be on a mission to distort Dusty's reputation and legacy so I recoil at the thought that her version of events will make it to the West End. She created a story that sells, however, and she'll be hawking it until she's wrung the last schilling out of it.

A lot of these shows are indeed about stringing together some pop songs with no concern for facts, or an accurate representation of their subject. Just money, as you've said. And as you pointed out the singing is always dire in the shows about Dusty - and what is the point of the enterprise if the audience doesn't hear Dusty's voice?

It is frustrating but we who loved her can't give up. Someone, somewhere, has got to want to truly capture her brilliance.

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby daydreamer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23 pm

The name of the person to play Dusty in the proposed new musical has been announced. Her name is Katherine Kingsley......

Katherine Kingsley grew up listening to the music of Dusty Springfield.

‘My mum loved her, so from a very young age I heard Dusty’s songs,’ said the actress (pictured).

Which is good, since she will portray the acclaimed singer in a musical called Dusty, written by Jonathan Harvey using material he gleaned from interviews with key people in the artist’s life.

Kingsley, who is in the delicious production of She Loves Me, on now at the Menier Chocolate Factory (it runs until March 4), said she found Harvey’s script ‘really raw and really authentic’. It’s a play with songs, rather than a jukebox musical, and starts in the Sixties, after Springfield had gone solo.

It follows her to America, where she recorded Dusty In Memphis: an album she often derided but which has since been hailed as one of the seminal records of the era.

Kingsley stressed that her portrayal will not be an imper-sonation.

‘I hope to capture an essence of who Dusty was,’ she said. ‘There will be a few iconic Dusty moments.’

Harvey’s text and Maria Friedman’s direction will show the singer’s flaws, too. ‘She did go to a dark place,’ said Kingsley. ‘But it’s not all doom and gloom — she had some laughs, too.

‘Dusty paved the way for people like Amy Winehouse and Adele. She was legendary. It’s a no‑brainer for me to do it.’

The show’s song list is still being decided, but it’s likely to run to around a dozen numbers, including You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me and Son Of A Preacher Man.

‘You can’t have them all,’ Kingsley commented, ‘otherwise it will sound like a catalogue show.’

Friedman and producer Eleanor Lloyd will do a workshop of Dusty in April, and the plan is for the show to open in the West End in 2018. In the mean time, catch Kingsley in the BBC adaptation of Evelyn Waugh’s Decline And Fall, in which she plays game-huntress Pamela Popham.

katherine kingsley.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby pat.dunham » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:33 pm

So it's a play with music not a musical. Only 12 songs so there will be plenty of speech ! I believe Miss Kingsley is
5'9" tall ! I can't imagine a tall Dusty. We will see!
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:31 pm

ImageThe director of the Churchill Theater production of Son of a Preacher Man may evidently now be identified as Craig Revel Horwood who I gather has had a profile career directing and choreographing musicals and is no doubt well-known for having been a judge on Strictly Come Dancing for all of its 14 seasons. And altho he's based in the UK he's Melbourne-born so the Oz predilection for Dusty musicals continues! (Actually he was born and raised in Ballarat 2½ hours drive from Melbs - I couldn't resist the snappy phrasing.)

The reason I say CRH is "evidently" ID'd as directing SOAPM at the Churchill Theater is that my source is an interview focused on Horwood's choreographing of the current touring version of Sister Act, in which interview Horwood states: "My year starts in April, casting for whatever musical I'm doing that summer – which this year is Son of a Preacher Man, a new show about Dusty Springfield." The SOAPM musical announced for the Churchill Theater has been described as utilizing selections from Dusty's songbook to score an original storyline rather than being focused on Dusty herself, and also it's set to run the first full week of September - which while technically prior to the autumn equinox IMO wouldn't normally be thought of as a summer engagement. However unless there's yet another Dusty musical in the pipeline then Horwood is being somewhat inexact about the nature of his SOAPM musical while being a literalist about the timeframe when it will be playing.

I'll put in a link to the interview but the above quote is the extent of Horwood's discussion of his Dusty musical:
https://www.list.co.uk/article/89064-in ... inionated/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 am

That's interesting, if that's the case, as you summise and I certainly hadn't heard about CRH's part. I'll try and get to this show (maybe after initial reviews) as it sounds like it could be less of a worry than a full on Dusty musical, complete with bio story. I've been told that Vicki Wickham's involvement in the new West End production is minimal. She was there in the beginning but has been very ill and although credited, as some of the story comes from her book, is not able to be in London and contribute. Some would say that it's not a bad thing that she can't be involved but she did know Dusty well for a long period of time, regardless of whether we like or hate her book.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:29 am

ImageCertainly even if some Dusty fans are glad that Vicki not be much involved in the development of this musical I'm sure they'd prefer that it not be because she's unwell. I was saddened when Penny Valentine passed in 2003 and I do wish Vicki the best in dealing with her current health issues. Without meaning to spark any more debate on Dancing With Demons I would suggest that some Dusty fans being highly sensitized to what they view as the authors' betrayal of trust might overlook the book's positive take on Dusty: while the critic for The Guardian did after reading DWD opine: "Dusty was less a blonde bombshell than she was a time bomb waiting to explode" her review also stated that Penny and Vicki "never stray into exploitative, censorious waters [and] seem equally at pains to bring across the singer's best qualities - her kindness, generosity, and wicked sense of humour, which remained in evidence even during her harrowing battle against illness." Under any circumstances I'm sorry Vicki is ill, and I do believe that even if she were involved in the Dusty musical she'd do her best to make sure her beloved friend was showcased favorably.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:10 pm

I agree with you wholeheartedly, I don't wish serious illness on anyone. I've had conversations with Pat and she has found it in her heart to forgive Vicki for the book, Dusty told her before she died that it would happen and not to get upset as it wouldn't hurt her (Dusty). It took Pat a long time to get there but she now says C'est a vie and that life is too short to carry on the bad feeling. I'll never know why they were in such a hurry to write DWD and make so many mistakes, maybe the fact that Penny was already ill had something to do with it as she was the actual writer. And as I've said many times, Vicki has not put a foot wrong since then and has always praised Dusty any chance she has had.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:56 pm

I too hope Vicki gets well soon.

Wouldn't wish ill health on anyone
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:38 pm

ImageFrom the March 9 Daily Mail, confirming Craig Revel Horwood as directing the Churchill Theatre production of SOAPM which is now spoken off in terms of "an autumn tour": (click to enlarge)
SOAPM.jpg

I'm pleased about Louise Redknapp's involvement (altho I realize it's tentative) : she should be a strong draw and from what I've heard of her while she's no Dusty she should be able to effectively put across Dusty's songbook. There's nothing at present about any SOAPM involvement at Louise's official site: if anyone's interested in checking for updates, click http://louiseredknappofficial.co.uk/
Last edited by Sweetbaby on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:15 am

We have tickets for Manchester in September. Below is a list of some of the venues (I notice Bromley is missing) and on Facebook they have "a special announcement" tomorrow (Monday), which I guess could be confirming Louise Redknapp....or something totally different :)

http://www.atgtickets.com/shows/son-of-a-preacher-man/

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby thc@c » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:16 am

Hi everyone

This show is also on at the Grand Opera House in Belfast from 21-25 November - we've booked!

I would love to add an image of our superb Victorian theatre risen from the ashes of an evil bombing campaign by IRA terrorists in the seventies & eighties, but I haven't learnt how to post images yet!!

Sorry!!
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Here you go Henry..... [:)] It certainly is a fabulous building.

Grand-Opera-House-6.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:43 pm

I've booked to see it at Birmingham on 14 th Sept.
That does look a lovely building in Belfast Henry.
The Birmingham dates are before Manchester and Belfast so I can review it!

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby thc@c » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Thank you Carole!! Yes, it does look good. I notice Blood Brothers is being advertised in that image - my wife and I have seen that musical there also. Thanks for your comments too Trek (still haven't managed to bump into you at Todber yet - maybe this year!) Will look forward to your review Trek, I wonder will they use Dusty's actual recordings as a soundtrack?

Hx
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby pat.dunham » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks all for the info on "SOAPM". I hope it comes to Watford which is quite close,if not will have to wait for, possible, West End transfer.
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:13 am

[:I] Well I see I was absolutely wrong about the venues SOAPM might play subsequent to the Churchill - hey it made theoretic sense! I have edited my prior post deleting the image of the HQ theaters so as not to confuse my board buds about where SOAPM is playing. It is curious that the ATG ticket site evidently isn't vending for the Churchill - here's a link with info for the Churchill engagement which has the facility for booking tickets:
https://churchilltheatre.co.uk/Online/d ... BB3776D43F

Perhaps I shouldn't try speculating again - astute of me I know - but IM(very)HO there's a good chance that the play will be booked in theaters subsequent to the latest announced date of November 25 if tickets for the announced dates sell well (likely further bookings for SOAPM would be subsequent to the holiday season when regional theatres go "panto-loco"!). And if a name performer such as Louise Redknapp does come onboard the chances are very good for further dates - and also for a West End transfer altho that's not guaranteed: it didn't happen with the 2000 Mari Wilson vehicle. But there's a reasonable chance that in a few months time the West End may be doubly Dusty - and with this play and the Katherine Kingsley vehicle being so distinct in nature I think there's a good chance each would bolster the other's success.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:04 pm

There is a fuller list of theatres on their Facebook page now, Bromley included :)

4 September – 9 September 2017
Churchill Theatre, Bromley

12 September – 16 September 2017
New Alexandra Theatre Birmingham

19 – 23 September 2017
Sunderland Empire Theatre, Sunderland

26 September – 30 September 2017
Palace Theatre, Manchester

3 October – 7 October 2017
Grand Opera House, York

10 October – 14 October 2017
Regent Theatre, Stoke

17 – 21 October 2017
Festival Theatre, Edinburgh

24 October – 28 October 2017
New Theatre, Oxford

31 October – 4 November 2017
Assembly Hall Theatre, Tunbridge Wells

7 November – 11 November 2017
Hull New Theatre, Hull

14 November – 18 November 2017
New Wimbledon Theatre, Wimbledon

21 November – 25 November 2017
Belfast Grand Opera House, Belfast

28 November – 2 December 2017
Wycombe Swan, High Wycombe

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Its fairly getting around which makes a lovely change from just London.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 pm

WycombeSwan.jpg
WycombeSwan.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
Hurrah - I accurately predicted one venue!

I just noticed Henry's post wondering if the original Dusty recordings would be heard during the performances. My assumption is that the performers will sing the songs: that would agree with the tentative casting of Louise Redknapp who's known as a singer rather than an actress, and also the play's promo includes a credit for Musical Supervisor & Arrangements , that being Paul Herbert.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:05 pm

I haven't thought for one moment that it would be Dusty singing, that wouldn't happen in a production like this, unlike where it could (and hopefully would!) happen in a film.

songs.jpg
songs.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 6886 times

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 pm

SOAPM.jpg
SOAPM.jpg (69.87 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
There's a website up now @ http://www.sonofapreachermanmusical.com/: as yet there's nothing definite there we don't already know altho the tour dates page does read "2018 tour dates coming soon". The Cast & Creatives page does have pix of most of the "Creatives" if anyone's interested: as far as the Cast at the moment there's nothing more than "To be annonced soon!" (BTW - it really does read "annonced".) I've posted the image from the main page which is somewhat fuller than the one used in promos up til now: I confess I hadn't noticed the couple embracing! As it is a static image the "Book Tickets" button in the posted image isn't operational: click the url link to access the fully operational main page of the site.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 am

Well let's hope it's better than the mainly mediocre ones before ..........
I see from the venue list that yet again Wales has been ignored. [:(!]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 pm

ImageWell Liz there's at least tentative plans for further dates in the new year and while my track record for predicting where SOAPM might play isn't the strongest - I got one out of eleven - I'll presume to at least suggest there's a good chance of one of the 2018 engagements being at a Cardiff venue such as the New Theater or the Wales Millennium Center, both of which regularly host touring productions - eg. the production of Sister Act helmed by SOAPM's director Craig Revel Harwood will be at WMC in three weeks and the Cilla musical plays the New Theater this autumn - : at present both the WMC and the New have a wide open schedule for the first quarter of 2018.

BTW I'm not sure if it's your thing but the revival of the 60s revue Shout! plays the New Theater the third week of April (subsequent to an engagement at the Churchill the Bromley theater where SOAPM will premiere).

There doesn't seem to presently be any new developments re either the SOAPM musical or the biographical play to be directed by Maria Friedman - altho it was announced that the latter will be workshopped in April - but IMHO Dusty fans can be encouraged by the evident success of the Friedman-helmed revival of Stepping Out which debuted at the Chichester Festival last autumn and is currently in the fifth week of a fifteen week engagement at the Vaudeville Theater in Westminster: the critics seem to be trying to outdo each other praising Friedman's direction so there'll be no lack of ammo for advance promo for Friedman's Dusty play next year.

SOAPM.png
SOAPM.png (62.19 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
BTW - forgive me if this has been obvious to everyone but me but I've just realized the sign in the SOAPM promo pic is shaped like a turntable with a tonearm. IMHO the musical deserves to be a hit on the basis of that alone!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:34 am

SophiaBehn.png
SophiaBehn.png (70.17 KiB) Viewed 6469 times
Well we're evidently still in the doldrums as far as developments in either of the upcoming Dusty musicals but my inveterate web trawling did turn up a stage musical which - like the Seekers jukebox musical recently mounted in Oz - features a Dusty cameo. All or Nothing, a jukebox musical focused on the Small Faces which last year had a London "fringe" run of some ten weeks and also played 22 tour dates, has just launched a new touring leg at the Civic Theater Chelmsford: currently at the New Alex (Birmingham) the play is set for 23 additional venues over the next four months. Not sure how Steve Marriott & co connect with Dusty but since its inaugural London run All or Nothing has featured actress Sophia Biehn (pictured above) performing YDHTSYLM as Dusty (Ms Biehn also plays RSG presenter Cathy McGowan).

If anyone's interested here's a link to the ATG Tickets page for All or Nothing: http://www.atgtickets.com/shows/all-or-nothing/

And a review of the New Alex engagement: http://www.expressandstar.com/entertain ... -pictures/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:12 pm

SophiaBehnDusty2.png
SophiaBehnDusty2.png (169.47 KiB) Viewed 6392 times
And another shot of Sophia Behn as Dusty: know it's only a cameo but think they might have gone with a coif closer to the one Dusty actually sported in 1966.

Also I've viewed the Wright Stuff vid on the LTD home page in which Matthew Wright's guest discusses the Maria Friedman helmed Dusty musical mentioning that he'll be playing Vic Billings: perhaps I just didn't catch it but I didn't hear the guest's name mentioned and as he's (I believe) the only actor besides Katherine Kingsley in any way confirmed for the play I'd be especially interested to know who he is. Can any of my board buds ID this gent?
WrightStuff.png
WrightStuff.png (79.44 KiB) Viewed 6392 times
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:55 pm

ImageTwo 2018 dates for the SOAPM musical have been confirmed: 16 - 20 January at Cliffs Pavilion Southend and 30 January - 3 February Theatre Royal Nottingham.

Still nothing on the cast - if any "name" performers will be involved I hope their announcement's not left too late as it might boost ticket sales and encourage further bookings. But perhaps the assumption's that Craig Revel Horwood as director and Dusty herself will be big enough draws.

Trivia note: the 2000 Dusty touring musical - which premiered at the Churchill Theatre Bromley where SOAPM will launch - played its final date at the Theatre Royal in Nottingham. However I have no doubt that several subsequent dates for SOAPM will be announced - hopefully one in Cardiff!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am

The man playing Vic Billings is Steve Furst, who looks absolutely nothing like the handsome Vic Billings! I saw this photo on Twitter yesterday, posted by Simon Sinfield who lists himself as a stage manager. He said he was blown away by the musical talent in the room.

Workshop.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

daydreamer wrote:The man playing Vic Billings is Steve Furst, who looks absolutely nothing like the handsome Vic Billings! I saw this photo on Twitter yesterday, posted by Simon Sinfield who lists himself as a stage manager. He said he was blown away by the musical talent in the room.

Workshop.jpg

Fingers cross that we are all blown away by the talent...lol

I don't think the cast in general are going to look anything like the people they are playing, whereas Sheridan Smith looked like Cilla and captured her mannerisms in the TV programme.
Positive thinking however!

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm

I still think Sheridan would have made a better Dusty than a Cilla [:)] She got Cilla's mannerism's down and they gave her the right hair but Cilla was tall with stick like legs, whereas Sheridan is small and definitely more physically matched to Dusty. I wish she'd auditioned for this musical.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 pm

ImageThanks for the ID Carole - I agree Mr Furst looks nothing like Vic and any road whatever his importance in her career I don't see Vic figuring much in Dusty's story so I'm kind of surprised that Vic would be the first role in the musical confirmed (besides Dusty herself of course). But certainly Mr Furst seems enthused about the project which is good.

I don't know how Sheridan Smith would feel about playing Dusty - like you needed me to tell you that! - : after starring in last year's West End Funny Girl revival Sheridan is currently touring with the play with confirmed dates til August and I'd suspect more to come. I knew of course Sheridan was a major star in the UK but I was surprised to read in the Edinburgh Reporter's Funny Girl review that Sheridan "has been described as ‘the greatest theatre star of her generation’"! Obviously it would be great to have a guaranteed box office draw in the role of Dusty - Katherine's gotten great notices but IMHO her career to this point has been as a co-star rather than leading lady. But then Dusty herself I'd rate as a figure of wide public interest even beyond her committed fan base. And hopefully this public interest in Dusty will be fanned by as good reviews as are feasible for a jukebox musical.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby trek007 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:34 pm

daydreamer wrote:I still think Sheridan would have made a better Dusty than a Cilla [:)] She got Cilla's mannerism's down and they gave her the right hair but Cilla was tall with stick like legs, whereas Sheridan is small and definitely more physically matched to Dusty. I wish she'd auditioned for this musical.

I agree about Sheridan. When I saw her in Funny Girl I could "see " Dusty in her performance.
But she is tied up touring with Funny G. So it's not to be unfortunately.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby daydreamer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Another shot from the rehearsals that appeared on Twitter. This is Katherine Kingsley as Dusty and Naana Agyei-Ampadu as 'Lois'. Who Lois is, is anyone's guess!

musical lois.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:28 am

ImageWell I feel pretty confident in ID'ing Lois as this production's equivalent of Reno in the Oz Dusty musical and Claire in Forever Dusty: ie. a fictional stand-in to represent Dusty's partners. And this is a role I was expecting.

Naana Agyei-Ampadu has appeared in several musicals and been complimented for her powerful singing voice so likely Lois like Reno will also stand-in for Martha Reeves or another female R&B singer Dusty encountered.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 pm

A couple more workshop photos from Twitter plus extra tweets

musical back view.jpg

musical rehearsal.jpg

kath ❄️ Retweeted DUSTY
I saw workshop of this today. It's wonderful!!Proud of Mr Harvey. Keep your kohl eyes peeled for venue/dates. Ms Kingsley is a superstar!

katherine kingsley‏ @katkingsley 3h3 hours ago

Best couple of weeks of my life #dusty

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:16 am

Saw these on Twitter Carole everythings looking really promising.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 pm

ImageWell - with all the buzz about the upcoming high profile Dusty-focused musicals Forever Dusty may seem like yesterday's news but the Kirsten Holly Smith vehicle that played off-Broadway in 2012-13 is making its UK debut this very week, playing at the Brookside Theatre in Romford at 8 pm on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and at 2 pm and 8 pm on Saturday. No big names - no surprise - but all the lead roles seem to be filled by professionals with Dusty portrayed by Katherine Ferguson, and if she's the Katherine Ferguson who's online CV I found she's 5'3" just like Dusty!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat May 06, 2017 1:48 am

ForeverDustyIcon.PNG
ForeverDustyIcon.PNG (53.37 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
Reportedly the UK premiere of Forever Dusty has been selling out: even noting the venue's small capacity - 140 seats - that's still good news. This review - click to enlarge - appears on the Hornchurch Life website: not to be rude to a fellow Dusty fan but IMHO as reviews go it's barely there! Still glad he evidently enjoyed it.
ForeverDustyReview.PNG

Odd that Dusty's role is attributed to Katherine Beaumont - not sure why the actress' surname doesn't read Ferguson as in the all the advance promo including a Romford Recorder article of April 29 which quoted Katherine Ferguson - so identified and described as a 25 year old local resident - : "I knew of [Dusty's] music because my parents used to play her songs and she has such a unique voice. When I saw the casting [call] I thought I’ll give it a go because it’s such an iconic role. When I got the call I was in complete shock.

"It’s a lot of pressure because it’s called Forever Dusty but I’m ready to take on the role and the director Jai [Sepple] knows so much about her and wants to make sure the real facts are in the musical. It really does show her whole life and the parts of her life that maybe [the public] didn’t get to see. It also concentrates on a lot of the issues around at that time like segregation and the fact that she was interested in boys and girls, there was all these issues going on and I think she had a lot of courage to go through all that.

"It’s a fantastic show and she’s such an inspirational woman we want to do her justice.” You can view the complete article by clicking http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/r ... -1-4996360
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby humboldt » Sat May 06, 2017 10:52 pm

I see that it's coming to Glasgow in May, May 2018! I think that I'll just play my CDs and read DWD.
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 am

Yes I think you could be right . This sounds like yet another excuse to trot out " the dark side" just to keep the shallow flitting brains of today's audiences happy. " ooh didn't know that about her did you... shock horror..."
I wish they would leave her in peace. :roll:

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 pm

ImageHmmm - is there some wariness over the SOAPM musical? I would think this is one musical Dusty fans can anticipate without stress as it will feature Dusty's hits without positing on her life one way or another.

Any road: altho the musical's website hasn't been updated - and still no cast members have been "annonced" - there are indeed five further 2018 engagements listed at the ATG ticket site viewable at http://www.atgtickets.com/shows/son-of-a-preacher-man/

Oddly the ATG site is at present not displaying the previously announced 2018 engagements in Southend and Nottingham. Is this just an error in updating the list of engagements or have two engagements indeed been canceled? Were the latter true I would think ATG should have still listed the Southend and Nottingham engagements but noted them as canceled. I'll keep checking back for the official site's update.

The furthest-off engagement listed at ATG is at the Liverpool Empire July 3-7 2018 which is ten months from the play's premiere run in Bromley and probably will be the tour's final gig barring a West End transfer. There's currently gaps in the months of March and May and no shows scheduled in June so some additional engagements will probably be forthcoming - hopefully one in Wales!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Tue May 09, 2017 8:43 am

No Richard, I would think soapm will be OK as it's just a song and dance show which will be lavish as it's Craig Revel Horwood using her lovely songs.
I just don't like these stage shows they are trying to churn out about Dusty herself.
I have only seen one of the recent ones and that was enough. It's a personal view of course.
I enjoyed the recent three part take on the Cilla Black story with Sheridan Smith so maybe it's just the poor quality of the Dusty productions and the fact that her wonderful ability is given less room than the more controversial side to her life. As I have mentioned before, Cilla was lucky that she had the Liverpool links and people like Bill Kenwright are involved in productions about her.
Poor Dusty nearly had Sandi Toksvig and V. W. production amongst others. :roll:
I just don't see the appeal of doctored old footage and actresses dressed up as her.
I was lucky enough to have seen her live , so that and the collection I have of her will suffice for me unless they ever produce something worthy of her and not some hashed up demolition of her colourful life.
Whatever happens those who like this sort of thing will enjoy it and that's fine.
Maybe I just care about her legacy too much. It can be difficult to be objective about her.
Everyone to his own.... [:)]

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue May 09, 2017 11:21 pm

ImageSure Liz - I actually figured your reservations were about staged depictions of Dusty's life but there seemed to have been postings which were wary of the SOAPM musical which evidently will reference Dusty only by featuring her songs, and I did wonder if some posters might specifically object to that. And if so of course they've every right to. But I would like to state my position that barring some unknown factor the SOAPM musical has to be benign as regards Dusty's legacy.

I've never had the opportunity to see even one of the Dusty musicals and admittedly can only comment with regard to what I've read about them online and without being dismissive of any of my board bud's reservations of rehashings of Dusty's life, these productions do seem to have won Dusty some new fans, and even when a production has elicited a negative reaction I've never seen an anti-Dusty comment caused by any of the musicals about her.

While I'll probably never have the chance to see the Dusty musical scheduled for a West End debut next year I was pleased with the casting of an actress with a background in musical comedy. IMHO any depiction of Dusty's life will have to include what might be termed controversial aspects but definitely a stage musical isn't the appropriate vehicle for in-depth exploration of these aspects. So I'm hoping that casting Katherine Kingsley as Dusty indicates that the main focus of the Dusty musical will be a lighthearted one.

Anyone still there? Just wanted to mention the SOAPM musical website still hasn't added the new dates and the ATG website still isn't listing the previously announced Southend and Nottingham engagements next January-February.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu May 11, 2017 3:17 am

ImageWell - the burning question of whether it's still a go for the Southend and Nottingham engagements of the SOAPM musical seems to have been settled: the musical's official site has updated the tour dates page and the previously announced engagements at the Cliffs Pavilion in Southend and Theater Royal in Nottingham are listed before the six new engagements booked March to July 2018. Odd that the ATG site still omits the Southend/ Nottingham dates and also the premiere engagement at the Churchill in Bromley. Still no cast "annonced".
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu May 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Dusty&Dusty.png
Dusty&Dusty.png (128.94 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
The Morning Star newspaper review yesterday of the Faces jukebox musical All or Nothing elaborated somewhat on Dusty's cameo singing YDHTSYLM: "[Steve] Marriott watches, awestruck, as Dusty Springfield (Sophia Ben [should be Behn]) sings. Taking her outstretched hand, he kisses it. The audience [at Kingston's Rose Theatre] actually sighed." (source@ https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-5 ... R3_ujjayCc) It's nice that the musical evidently honours Dusty - and IMHO rather ironic as the Faces were at the vanguard of the final wave of British music of the 60s which largely eclipsed the stardom of Dusty and her peers.

The Faces and Dusty both performed on the NME Poll Winners concert at Wembley on May 7 1967. If this specific context is referenced in All or Nothing then - as evidenced by the comparative snap above - they got the look way wrong! The Faces and Dusty had previously shared the guest roster on the Ready, Steady, Go! episode of September 17 1965 - of course Dusty did not then sing YDHTSYLM (her number in fact was SOYL) but RSG does figure in All or Nothing so perhaps the musical does bend facts to get Marriott and Dusty together. However as Sophia Behn plays RSG hostess Cathy McGowan in addition to Dusty IMHO it's logistically unlikely both characters would feature in the same sequence.

BTW - I understand if All or Nothing isn't in itself of much interest to Dusty's fans just because it touches on her but it is encouraging that the Faces jukebox musical is apparently doing very well: according to the Morning Star review there were at least 800 people in the audience (the Rose Theatre capacity is 899). So the current show business climate would seem to bode well for musicals focused on British acts.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed May 24, 2017 6:32 pm

ImageA new engagement for Son of a Preacher Man: the musical is scheduled to play His Majesty's Theatre in Aberdeen June 19 -23 2018. As of now it's not posted yet at the musical's official site but the details may be viewed here: http://www.aberdeenperformingarts.com/e ... eacher-man

Cast still unannounced - I understand Craig Revel Horwood and Dusty are "names" and obviously the bookings are coming but still...
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Cardiff Bluesgirl wrote:Yes I think you could be right . This sounds like yet another excuse to trot out " the dark side" just to keep the shallow flitting brains of today's audiences happy. " ooh didn't know that about her did you... shock horror..."
I wish they would leave her in peace. :roll:

Which is why I will forever resent Dancing with Bullcrap and anyone associated with it.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:07 am

It's just been announced that Diana Vickers will star as 'Kat' in the Preacher Man musical. She came from X Factor but had very good reviews when starring as 'Little Voice' in the West End.

DIANA VICKERS TO STAR IN UK TOUR OF
NEW MUSICAL SON OF A PREACHER MAN

Son of a Preacher Man today announces that X-factor finalist Diana Vickers will create the role of Kat for the 2017 tour of this heart-warming new musical.
Featuring the soulful music of Dusty Springfield, with a book by Warner Brown and directed and choreographed by Craig Revel Horwood, Son of a Preacher Man embarks on a national tour starting at Bromley’s Churchill Theatre from Monday 4 September 2017.
Three broken hearts, one Soho hang-out, and the only man who could ever help them…
Welcome to the Preacher Man, the swinging 1960s Soho joint where the kids danced the night away to the latest crazes and dared to dream of love, while the legendary owner, the Preacher Man himself, dispensed advice to cure the loneliest of hearts.
Only, that was a long time ago and all that remains are the memories, the stories and the myths. Until now, that is, when three random strangers, generations apart but all in need of help with their hopeless love lives, are inexplicably drawn to the site of the original venue. The Preacher Man is long gone, but his son, with help from the wonderful Cappuccino Sisters, might just find it in himself to channel the spirit of the Preacher Man and once more give these three lovesick strangers the look of love.
Featuring the greatest hits of Dusty Springfield, including "The Look Of Love", "I Only Want To Be With You", "Spooky" and of course, the classic "Son Of A Preacher Man", this sparklingly funny and sweetly touching new musical by internationally renowned writer Warner Brown will have you laughing, crying and singing your heart out to some of the greatest songs ever written.
Diana Vickers first came to public attention as a semi-finalist on the X Factor and has made her professional acting debut in the title role of The Rise and Fall of Little Voice in 2009 (West End, Vaudeville Theatre). Since then her theatre credits have included The Duck House (West End, Vaudeville Theatre), Hatched ‘n’ Dispatched (Park Theatre), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour). Her film and television credits include The Perfect Wave, Awaiting, To Dream, Give Out Girls and Top Coppers.
Warner Brown works internationally and is well known for his work in musical theatre and straight plays, encompassing both traditional and avant-garde forms.
He wrote ‘the most popular family show of all time’, the arena production Walking With Dinosaurs, creating an entirely new genre of theatrical presentation and winning many international awards. Currently playing in venues from Madison Square Garden to the Mercedes Benz Arena in Shanghai, an episode of CSI: Las Vegas has been based upon the show and it has even been parodied on The Simpsons.
Warner is currently working on multiple developing projects, including the Broadway musicals The Gold Room and The Thomas Crown Affair, both with composer Michael Feinstein; the opera Empty Spaces, with composer Joshua Schmidt, for Florentine Opera in the USA; the musical A Little Danger, with composer Michael Reed, for the St Petersburg Theatre in Russia; and the screenplay for the movie A Minute To Midnight for Bill Kenwright Films. He is part of the consortium, including choreographer Arlene Phillips and musical director Mike Dixon, for the new internet based project Reality.
Writing credits include Half A Sixpence (UK Tour), The Biograph Girl (Phoenix Theatre), Cinderella (London Palladium), The Black and White Ball, which opened in London and for which The Cole Porter Trusts granted Warner stage rights to the songs of Cole Porter, Flickers (Broadway’s Circle-In-The Square Theater), The House on the Corner (Edinburgh International Festival) and, in addition, Tallulah For A Day and Sleep With Friends. Plays include Laughing Dove, Wavelength and The Prospero Suite, directed by John Doyle.
Warner has worked extensively in Europe, most recently writing the musical Garbo, with music by ‘Meatloaf’ rock legend Jim Steinman. He also has extensive writing credits for the BBC and was Script Associate of the BBC Classic Musicals Series, for which he adapted fourteen musicals featuring many international stars. Warner was the subject of the BBC Two TV documentary The Making Of A Musical. Warner is co-sponsor of the international music prize The S&S Award, named in honour of his late parents.
Craig Revel Horwood is a well-known face on television in the UK and now internationally for his role as a judge on all fifteen series of BBC One's Strictly Come Dancing and for directing and appearing as a judge in the Live Tour.
Craig’s recent credits as director and choreographer include the current UK tour of Sister Act, the previous UK tours Brother Love Travelling Salvation Show and Chess; for television, How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? and Just the Two of Us; and for film, the feature film Paddington 2. In addition, he recently directed the all-star concert version of Stephen Sondheim’s Follies at the Royal Albert Hall. Other credits as a theatre director and choreographer are: West Side Story (Prince Edward), Miss Saigon (Drury Lane), Hey, Mr Producer! (Lyceum), Spend Spend Spend! (Piccadilly Theatre; Olivier nomination for Best Choreography), Pal Joey (Chichester Festival Theatre), Guys and Dolls (Sheffield Crucible), Paradise Moscow (Opera North), Carmen (Holland Park), My One and Only (Piccadilly Theatre; Olivier nomination for Best Choreography), Beautiful and Damned (Lyric Theatre), Arms and the Cow (Opera North), The Ballet Boyz: Yumbo Vs Nonino (Festival Hall, Sadler's Wells, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden), The Hot Mikado (Watermill Theatre and UK Tour; Martin Guerre (Watermill Theatre), Sunset Boulevard (Watermill Theatre and Comedy Theatre, West End), Spend Spend Spend! (Watermill Theatre and UK Tour) and Copacabana (Watermill Theatre).
He recently returned to his roots as a performer in musical theatre, starring as Miss Hannigan in the UK national tour of Annie, and in Christmas 2016 as Captain Hook in Peter Pan at the Churchill Theatre, Bromley. Other performing credits include Captain Hook in Peter Pan at the Orchard, Dartford in 2014 and at the Swan, High Wycombe in 2015. Previously, Craig starred as the Wicked Queen in Snow White at Venue Cymru, Llandudno in 2009, The Hawth, Crawley in 2010 and The Orchard, Dartford 2011. He reprised his role at The Swan Theatre, High Wycombe in 2012 and the Cliffs Pavilion, Southend in 2013.
Amongst his numerous TV credits, highlights include winning the BBC Two series Maestro at the Opera, the final of which saw him conduct Act II of La Bohème at the Royal Opera House. He was also a grand finalist on the hit cooking show, Celebrity MasterChef and participated in and won Ready, Steady, Cook.
Book Warner Brown
Director & Choreographer Craig Revel Horwood
Set & Costume Designer Morgan Large
Musical Supervisor & Arrangements Paul Herbert
Lighting Designer Richard G Jones
Sound Designer Richard Brooker
Associate Director & Choreographer David James Hulston
Casting Director Anne Vosser

Son of a Preacher Man is produced by Brian Berg, John Sachs, Andrew Berg & Kimberley Sachs for
Eclipse Live, Michael Park for The Infinite Group, Paul Tyrer & Jamie Clark for TBO Productions,
Churchill Theatre Bromley and executive producers Andrew Green and Ben White, all on behalf of Dusty Touring Ltd.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE VISIT:
www.sonofapreachermanmusical.com/

TOUR DETAILS

Churchill Theatre, Bromley
4 September – 9 September 2017
Box Office: 020 3285 6000

New Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham
12 September – 16 September 2017
Box Office: 0844 871 3011

Sunderland Empire Theatre, Sunderland
19 – 23 September 2017
Box Office:

Palace Theatre, Manchester
26 September – 30 September 2017
Box Office: 0844 871 3019

Grand Opera House, York
3 October – 7 October 2017
Box Office: 0844 871 3024

Regent Theatre, Stoke
10 October – 14 October 2017
Box Office: 0844 871 7649

Festival Theatre, Edinburgh
17 – 21 October 2017
Box Office: 0131 529 6000

New Theatre, Oxford
24 October – 28 October 2017
Box Office: 0844 871 3020

Assembly Hall Theatre, Tunbridge Wells
31 October – 4 November 2017
Box Office: 0189 253 0613

Hull New Theatre, Hull
7 November – 11 November 2017
Box Office: 148 230 0300

New Wimbledon Theatre, Wimbledon
14 November – 18 November 2017
Box Office: 0844 871 7646

Belfast Grand Opera House, Belfast
21 November – 25 November 2017
Box Office: 028 9024 1919

Wycombe Swan, High Wycombe
28 November – 2 December 2017
Box Office: 149 451 2000

2018 dates and further casting to be announced.

For SON OF A PREACHER MAN UK Tour
James Travis-Lever, Hannah Stockton and Freya Edgeworth at Jo Allan PR
james@joallanpr.com | hannah@joallanpr.com | freya@joallanpr.com
020 7520 9392

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sonofapreachermanuk/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PreacherManUK

diana vickers.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:21 pm

ImageWell - thank God they cast someone!

At age 25 I would think Diana is far too young to play a 1960s club habituée in any kind of present day context - so perhaps Kat in one of "the wonderful Cappuccino Sisters" who I suspect are the resident act at the SOAPM club (and as such can sing the Dusty hits that can't be shoe-horned into the plot).

Then again as any denizens of Swinging London would now typically be in their seventies and this musical is not evidently vaunted as a showcase for the Exotic Marigold Hotel set, its timeline is likely to some degree non-realistic - perhaps to the degree where twenty-somethings could play present day versions of kids who danced the night away at a Swinging 1960s Soho joint. And Craig Revel Harwood does have a seeming penchant for X Factor veterans - a demographic more youthful than otherwise and evinced by Alexandra Burke currently headlining Harwood's touring production of Sister Act (and reportedly doing so most successfully - that both Diana and Alexandra came to the fore in the 2008 edition of X Factor is perhaps a good omen). Feasibly the future casting announcements for Son of a Preacher Man may see Harwood returning to the X Factor well.

Any road - I've found some very nice comments re Diana's previous theatrical turns: for example the Telegraph review of the 2009 West End revival of Little Voice which was apparently her theatrical debut stated "[it's] remarkable ...encountering Diana Vickers for the first time on stage [as] it turns out that she can act as well as sing...and is magical when she sings."

Also wanted to mention that the list of engagements in the quoted story is out-of-date - the most reliable current tour listing would seem to be that at https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/so ... an-touring
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 pm

ImageWow! Frankie from Coronation Street is on-board for the SOAPM musical, it being announced that Debra Stephenson will be creating the role of Alison. And having turned 45 Sunday before last Debra is of a relatively reasonable age to portray a woman nostalgiac for the 60s having been born a mere three years from the decade's close.

Debra doesn't seem to have a lot of stage acting experience - indeed SOAPM may be her stage musical debut as the only prior stage role of hers I can find referenced online is a 2014 production of Neil Simon's Last of the Red Hot Lovers. However she has in recent years toured widely with her Night of 100 Voices show of celebrity impressions - surprisingly Dusty doesn't seem to be among them - and even critics with reservations about the show overall do grant that Debra is a good singer. BTW - there was talk of Debra starring in West End productions of My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins but both opportunities conflicted with a pregnancy - reportedly Debra had to skip her My Fair Lady audition as she went into labor earlier that day!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:18 pm

AmyLehpamer.PNG
AmyLehpamer.PNG (46.64 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
I sense the Oz Dusty jukebox musical is pretty much considered yesterday's - well - dust but I think it rates mention that Amy Lehpamer who starred in the recent revival of Dusty: the Musical is nominated for a Helpmann award - that being the Oz equivalent of a Tony or Olivier award: Tamsin Carroll received the Helpmann award for best musical actress for starring in the 2006 premiere production. Here's a preview clip of the production helmed by Amy:
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:21 pm

There's been a discussion over on one of the Facebook sites after this snippet appeared in the Daily Mail today.

musical elton daily mail.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby pat.dunham » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:03 am

How is this authorised ?
Presume this version goes further than others, which tend to end at DIM.
The way this article is written it would appear Dusty died of her addictions! How sad and so untrue.
I could say more but .......no.
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby trek007 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Typical Daily Mail reporting.
I hope the article isn't a reflection on the rest of the Musical!

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 pm

:no: Well - however taloidic the Mail may be, the paper must have gotten hold of something to base the article upon. Hopefully some "insider" made an ill-considered decision to promote the musical, and while Dusty's darker moments may be featured they won't in fact be the main focus. As I've mentioned Katherine Kingsley's stage career has been as a light actress and hopefully that augurs for the Dusty musical being overall light-hearted. For now we can only hope. And there is the SOAPM musical which Dusty's fans should be able to anticipate with no unease.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:21 pm

daydreamer wrote:There's been a discussion over on one of the Facebook sites after this snippet appeared in the Daily Mail today.

musical elton daily mail.jpg

Is this the musical Vicki Wickham is involved in, or the other one?

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby daydreamer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:46 pm

If by "the other one", you mean "SOAPM" Maggie, then no, as that one isn't about Dusty, just features her music. This is the VW one. I'd like to know if this info was given to the press, or if they just picked Sue Cameron's quotes out of the Bartlett book and made up a little story. Have we ever heard Elton himself say that this song was intended for Dusty or has it always just been hearsay?

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:34 pm

I seem to recollect Kiki Dee talking about Don't go breaking my heart awhile ago.
As far as I can recall she said Elton had Dusty in mind for the duet, but when he contacted Dusty she wasn't well and there was a small time scale as to when it could be recorded so he had to go ahead and in the end he did it with Kiki.

That seemed to be the gist of as far as I can remember.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:36 pm

And by "wasn't well" they thought she was on a self-indulgent bender, when in fact she was not at all in control of when and where she could function.

To answer your question, Carole, as to where this story comes from it has Vicki's Version of Dusty all over it. Words like "continuing decline" sound like the kind of press release VW would write.

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Well I know Vicki's painted a bullseye on herself but my understanding is that while for better or worse she was to be involved in the Dusty bio-musical her health concerns have prevented it. And while DWD speaks of Dusty's issues in the studio as a chorale member for Elton's Bitch is Back and states that Dusty was "furious with herself" when Don't Go Breaking My Heart became a mega-hit - presumably believing that her studio issues had discouraged Elton from making her a duet partner - the book does not posit Dusty's forfeiting a firm offer of Don't Go... as claimed by the Mail. If the musical does plan to play up Dusty's connection with Don't Go... perhaps it's to bring in Elton as a character to augment interest in the show. And hopefully the real Elton can make sure the show's producers know what's really what.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Although Vicki may not be actively involved at the moment she was a year ago when this was in the planning stages. At that time the show was just a collection of anectdotes, and when winnowing them down I am sure the standard for making the cut was "the more sensational the better". This one fits the bill, whether true or not.

The tone of this production, and the way it will be promoted, is going to be Vicki's version, and if this first press blurb is any indication it will be brutal.

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:00 am

It still seems to me that Vicki didn't realize how inflammatory Dusty's depiction in DWD might come across as - and whatever the case there, Vicki (and all other interested parties) should certainly know now that Dusty's fanbase whose support is vital to the musical's success don't want to see a tabloid take on Dusty's life. As I've said we can only hope that the tidbit dropped in the Mail doesn't exemplify the entire production's tone. Perhaps giving focus to what was really a footnote in Dusty's life: her not dueting on Don't Go Breaking My Heart, is just a matter of plotline symmetry: Dusty has a lowpoint when she's passed over as duet partner for Don't Go... only to triumphantly comeback dueting on What Have I Done to Deserve This (which quite likely will be the musical's conclusion). And if there is any misrepresentation of Dusty's involvement in Don't Go... hopefully Elton can emphatically express displeasure.

BTW - the SOAPM musical still has only two cast members announced: likely attendees at the premiere two months from today can at least count on a theatrical experience of considerable spontaneous energy! I'm still hoping for a gig in Wales - not sure if Liz actually wants to see it but it's the principle of the thing.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Meh, if she hasn't learned her lesson by now, she never will. She is still a greedy villain and bully, IMO, and I hope karma succeeds where she is failing herself. And I challenge anyone here to prove me wrong.

There is a reason why after 17 years, I am still furious that Dancing with Bullcrap ever existed, and that the people who were responsible mostly got away with it. I do still seek reason to leave my anger behind, but it's hard. That DWB happened and has influence after nearly 2 decades is why I think Dusty doesn't get even more respect as she should.

And if Elton gets mad at V, I hope he uses some of the colorful terms he saved for people like Madonna.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:01 am

I'm not out to change anyone's mind but I will put out there the idea that DWD isn't really that significant. The tributes to Dusty I read at the time of her passing while overall laudatory did reference her darker days: perhaps DWD could have put the perception of Dusty as a troubled soul in a balanced context, but the perception predates the book. Members of the public who perceive Dusty as a showbiz casualty likely never read DWD which - like the 2014 Karen Bartlett tone - seems to have been largely ignored outside Dusty's fanbase. And IMHO the darker factors in Dusty's perceived persona haven't in any way negated respect for her artistry, which is higher now than in her commercial heyday and shows no sign of diminishing.

And despite the unfortunate tone of the Mail blurb I doubt if the upcoming West End musical will differ significantly in tone from the Dusty musicals we've already had which - whatever their perceived failings - were not hatchet jobs. I've mentioned that Katherine Kingsley's stage career has been focused on light projects and that's also true of director Maria Friedman. And essentially jukebox musicals are fripperies: their protagonists may encounter challenges - but nothing that's going to seriously bring an audience down.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:17 pm

ImageA casting update of sorts on the SOAPM musical - with most roles unassigned eight weeks before the scheduled premiere, a statement has been added to the musical's site (or perhaps I've just overlooked it til now) that Diana and Debra are only committed for the 2017 dates. Don't mean to be negative: the musical had enough starpower with Dusty and CRH's names attached to get an impressive number of bookings - the casting procedure for this particular show just seems to me unusual. But then perhaps I've never really monitored a show in development before. Still hoping for a gig in Wales!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:31 pm

ImageWell - at this moment the info's not yet on the musical's official site but the first male cast member for the SOAPM musical has been announced: Ian Reddington, who has had a lengthy career onscreen large and small (including EastEnders and Corrie gigs) and stage. Although still too young to have actually frequented a 60s nightclub Ian - who will turn 60 September 23 at the end of SOAPM's Sunderland gig - is substantially older than either of the two previously announced cast members and his role - identified as Simon - is likely the seasoned title character. No word if Ian's committed through 2018. There's a "teaser" on Facebook and Twitter of the announcement of two new bookings for SOAPM being imminent.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 pm

ImageNot sure if this increases accessibility for anyone here but a gig for the SOAPM musical has been confirmed for the Hippodrome in Darlington next February: details here - https://www.darlingtonhippodrome.co.uk/ ... acher-man/

If anyone is in the "viewing area" you might also be interested in the Darlington Hippodrome's preceding production, the Four Seasons' jukebox musical New Jersey Nights, which unlike Jersey Boys would seem to be a tribute concert with highlights of the Four Seasons' career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the group's career.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Sweetbaby wrote:I'm not out to change anyone's mind but I will put out there the idea that DWD isn't really that significant. The tributes to Dusty I read at the time of her passing while overall laudatory did reference her darker days: perhaps DWD could have put the perception of Dusty as a troubled soul in a balanced context, but the perception predates the book. Members of the public who perceive Dusty as a showbiz casualty likely never read DWD which - like the 2014 Karen Bartlett tone - seems to have been largely ignored outside Dusty's fanbase. And IMHO the darker factors in Dusty's perceived persona haven't in any way negated respect for her artistry, which is higher now than in her commercial heyday and shows no sign of diminishing.

And despite the unfortunate tone of the Mail blurb I doubt if the upcoming West End musical will differ significantly in tone from the Dusty musicals we've already had which - whatever their perceived failings - were not hatchet jobs. I've mentioned that Katherine Kingsley's stage career has been focused on light projects and that's also true of director Maria Friedman. And essentially jukebox musicals are fripperies: their protagonists may encounter challenges - but nothing that's going to seriously bring an audience down.

I still get mad/feel badly for the reasons I explained.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 pm

I fully respect your opinion but I would at least somewhat press the point that DWD has not in any way dimmed Dusty's iconic status.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 am

Sweetbaby wrote:I fully respect your opinion but I would at least somewhat press the point that DWD has not in any way dimmed Dusty's iconic status.

Well yeah. But I still have this part that wishes the people who did it paid for what they did. And the DWBS image lives on in presentations like this.
Last edited by JMFabianoRPL on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Douggie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:50 am

Sweetbaby wrote:ImageNot sure if this increases accessibility for anyone here but a gig for the SOAPM musical has been confirmed for the Hippodrome in Darlington next February: details here - https://www.darlingtonhippodrome.co.uk/ ... acher-man/

If anyone is in the "viewing area" you might also be interested in the Darlington Hippodrome's preceding production, the Four Seasons' jukebox musical New Jersey Nights, which unlike Jersey Boys would seem to be a tribute concert with highlights of the Four Seasons' career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the group's career.

HI
I have to say even though I do not have a liking for tribute shows. The last couple of lines from the last paragraph above made sense to me, which I have copied below.

(The Four Seasons' jukebox musical New Jersey Nights, which unlike Jersey Boys would seem to be a tribute concert with highlights of the Four Seasons' career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the group's career.) Struck home to me!!!.

Yeah!! career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the group's career.You can apply the same context to Dusty's career referenced rather than enacted, with no mention made of the darker aspects of the artists career
Sing the songs pay respect to the artist's. You shouldn't need anything else, maybe this is what all the other shows missed. WE love Dusty for her voice and the wonderful songs she sang. You could do many, many shows just doing her songs - without repeating too many of them. I don't think you really need to say anything other than sing her songs. I have seen some tribute shows and they don't go into long stories about what happened to them in their lives. They just sang the songs. Forget the story line (unless you know the real story-which none do) Just Sing her songs. It will be much easier and everyone you hope!1 will like what you have done. They may come to your show, enjoy what you presented then leave the theatre happy.

Douggie
<3 Dusty :thumbsup: :note:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby JMFabianoRPL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:57 pm

I agree. And this is why, as I said, I can't let go of DWBS and am still hoping for a long overdue visit from the karma train....as its image of Dusty lives on in things like this.
JMFabianoRPL
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:58 pm

ImageYes - it's another protracted post by Sweetbaby but please at least skim it: I think you'll find points of interest.

First off: another January booking for the SOAPM musical, at the Lyric in the Theatre Royal Plymouth: https://www.theatreroyal.com/whats-on/2 ... acher-man/

Again - this theatre's prior production might make an interesting comparison/contrast with the SOAPM musical, being the 60s pastiche musical Hairspray. Coincidentally the Plymouth Royal Theatre/Lyric will host Jersey Boys in April.

I can't find an up-to-date listing of the musical's tour dates - the official site is shockingly lagging: hasn't even announced Ian Reddington's casting - but I believe there's still leeway for one or two more 2018 bookings. I'm pulling for Cardiff!

Secondly: I did find the posting for open auditions for the SOAPM musical which were scheduled for mid-June and besides the lead roles indicated in the promo: the club owner, the three broken-hearted clubbers, the Cappuccino Sisters (I'm thinking three of 'em), there are apparently several supporting roles:

Liam a young boy on the verge of manhood who is gorgeous to look at [as opposed to what?] Poetic. Fickle, though. Also plays Young Paul [So apparently the 60s heyday of the club is enacted]. Good dance ability. Needs to play trumpet.

Madge an ageless Cockney charlady; also plays Miss Marsh a strait-laced solicitor [who I can't co-ordinate with the purported plot at all]. Good dance ability required. Needs to play violin.

Sandra a smart kind of girl who knows her music; also plays Anna - bonkers...a nut. Good dance ability required. Needs to play sax and flute.

The casting call was also for a Male and Female Swing for assorted small roles: the Male has to play trombone, the Female - sax and clarinet. All five performers cast through the open auditions will also be members of the ensemble.

The online posting of the casting call may be viewed at http://www.openauditions.uk/blog/theatr ... -12th-june
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 am

I've received a message from Duncan Sibbald re the SOAPM show and he is offering discounted tickets to all Dusty fans for the first preview performance of the show at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley, Kent. You should be able to book through the link below....

https://churchilltheatre.co.uk/Online/s ... an-preview

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 pm

In relation to the other musical (VW/Tris Penna one), I've been told that "the first showing will be on 19th June at the Theatre Royal, Bath, with a few other showings in the provinces to follow. Not sure which theatre or what date it will be in London". So not opening in the West End as I think we'd been lead to believe. Hopefully it'll do well enough in the provinces to then make it to a West End opening.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby jennifer49 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 pm

SOAPM - I've now booked for New Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham in September. Quite looking forward to it.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:35 am

ImageIMHO the discounted preview offer for the SOAPM musical is absolutely fabulous - I'd urge everyone who can to avail themselves of it: it is a thoroughly professional production and does feature Dusty's songs without any evident risk of tarnishing her image.

That said - I will breathe a sigh of relief when the final casting for the play has been announced. At this point only three actors have been confirmed and the musical's website still only lists two of them (altho the relevant Facebook and Twitter does name Ian Reddington along with Diana Vickers and Debra Stephenson). And really the musical's Cast & Creatives listing should by now have added not only Ian's name but also those of the five supporting players who were presumably cast at the open auditions in June.

I was intrigued by the Bournemouth Echo headline Debra Stephenson: ‘I wanted to make a show that has something for everyone’: in fact it made no mention of the SOAPM musical, the referenced show being Debra's Night of 100 Voices with which she's currently touring. (I'd like for the article to have cited the upcoming SOAPM musical but I can understand if the promo had to stay focused on Debra's show.) Don't mean to be negative but Debra's sure not giving herself much of a window of opportunity to prep for the SOAPM musical which premieres in six weeks - but likely her vast experience as an impressionist has developed a facility to be a quick study.

Interesting info on "the other musical": it's not that surprising for it to play some out-of-town dates before opening in the West End but its not premiering til next June? Well perhaps some its cast members can perform in Son of a Preacher Man in the iterim: they'll be familiar with the songs! Again not be negative and hopefully its tryout tour will lead to a West End run (if merited).
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Graham2010 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 am

I think you have to be fairer to Deborah here....................she was promoting her own show in Wimborne, very close to Bournemouth...............trying to maximise attendance.

I am sure subsequent plugging of the musical will take place.............but it is not even being staged in Bournemouth or anywhere near. Deborah does live in the area.
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:09 pm

[;)] [;)] [;)] [;)] If interested parties think her name is Deborah she needs all the promo she can get! [;)] [;)] [;)] [;)] In case you didn't notice the smileys, that is meant humorously: the article does ID one of "the world's favourite singers" mimicked by Debra as "Barbara Streisand", and I'm sure no readers were confused.

But seriously - as far as being fair, I simply posted that I'd like for the article to have mentioned the SOAPM musical "but I [understood] if the promo had to stay focused on Debra's show." I do wish now that I had provided a link to the article, an omission I shall now rectify: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/newS/1 ... eryone___/

Altho as also posted I didn't mean to be negative in opining that Debra wasn't giving herself much leeway to prep for the SOAPM musical: while I'm sure she's enough of a pro to both tour with her own show and prep effectively for the musical such a task would have to be quite discomfiting for anyone. I am therefore glad to have it clarified that the Tivoli Wimborne date is a one-off rather than part of a tour as I erroneously indicated (an error I apologize for).

However while it doesn't obligate Debra to mention the SOAPM musical while promoting her own show and while Debra may not be staying with the SOAPM musical into 2018, Son of a Preacher Man is indeed being staged somewhere near Bournemouth: as indicated at http://www.bic.co.uk/whats-on/son-of-a- ... -man-2018/ the Bournemouth Pavilion Theatre will host the play 1 – 5 May 2018.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:09 am

SOAPM.PNG
SOAPM.PNG (167.58 KiB) Viewed 5555 times
Here's a snap from 10 hours ago of the first day of rehearsals for the SOAPM musical: not sure if they're utilizing stand-ins for the unconfirmed roles or if the roles are all confirmed without benefit of announcement. Any road - the first day of rehearsal followed almost immediately on Debra Stephenson giving her Night of 100 Voices performance on July 29: since it was brought up here I'm linking to a review - http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... he_Tivoli/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Graham2010 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 am

Thanks Sweetbaby I do not know it was coming to The Pavilion, Bournemouth
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 am

http://www.whatsonstage.com/london-thea ... 44248.html

Casting has been announced for the UK tour of new musical Son of a Preacher Man, which opens in Bromley in September.

Joining the previously announced Diana Vickers, Debra Stephenson and Ian Reddington will be Michael Howe, Michelle Long, Kate Hardisty, Cassiopeia Berkeley-Agyepong, Lewis Kidd, Liam Vincent-Kilbride, Jon Bonner, Rachael McAllister, Ellie-Jane Goddard, Gary Mitchinson and Jess Barker.

Directed and choreographed by Craig Revel Horwood, Son of a Preacher Man has a book by Warner Brown. It tells the story of three strangers who find themselves drawn to the site of an old '60s Soho bar, The Preacher Man.

The show features the music of Dusty Springfield, including "The Look Of Love", "I Only Want To Be With You" and the title song.

The tour will visit Bromley, Birmingham, Sunderland, Manchester, York, Stoke, Edinburgh, Oxford, Tunbridge Wells, Hull, Wimbledon, Belfast, High Wycombe, Southend, Plymouth, Nottingham, Darlington, Coventry, Malvern, Portsmouth, Aylesbury, Shrewsbury, Blackpool, Chester, Ipswich, Torquay, Brighton, Woking, Bournemouth, Glasgow, Cardiff, Dublin, Llandudno, King's Lynn, Bradford, Aberdeen, Dartford and Liverpool.

Son of a Preacher Man will open at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley on 4 September before embarking on a UK tour.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:15 am

Now it's been fully casted there should be some promotions and advertising soon.
Looking forward to going to Birmingham to see it.

trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 pm

ImageHere's a detailed credit list including the roles played by each actor.

Book Warner BrownDirector & Choreographer Craig Revel HorwoodSet & Costume Designer Morgan LargeMusical Supervisor & Arrangements Paul HerbertLighting Designer Richard G JonesSound Designer Richard BrookerMusical Director Brady MouldAssociate Director & Choreographer David James HulstonCasting Director Anne Vosser

Kat Diana VickersAlison Debra StephensonSimon Ian ReddingtonPaul Michael HoweCappuccino Sister #1 Michelle LongCappuccino Sister #2 Kate HardistyCappuccino Sister #3 Cassiopeia Berkeley-Agyepong Liam/ Young Paul/ Ensemble Lewis KiddAndy/ Mike/ Young Jack/ Ensemble Liam Vincent-KilbrideHardman/ Otis/ Jack/ Ensemble Jon BonnerPippa/ Miss Marsh/ Ensemble Rachel McAllisterSandra/ Anna/ Ensemble Ellie-Jane GoddardOn-Stage Swing & Ensemble Gary MitchinsonOn-Stage Swing & Ensemble Jess Barker

Not sure who Hardman et al are or why the alternate character for Miss Marsh has morphed from Madge to someone named Pippa (I have a hard time believing it was simply decided that the name Pippa had a more authentic resonance for a Cockney char).

The source is https://www.londontheatre1.com/tickets/ ... acher-man/ where the plot synopsis includes the new (as far as I'm aware) info that the three broken-hearted visitors to the Son of a Preacher Man club are "three random strangers, generations apart" so Diana Vickers' casting isn't as incongruous age-wise as when the promo at least implied that the three broken-hearts belonged to habituees of the Preacher Man club in the 60s. Evidently of the trio: Kat (Diana Vickers), Alison (Debra Stephenson) and Paul, only Paul frequented the Preacher Man as Paul is the only character indicated to have a youthful onstage incarnation.

Paul (in present day) is played by Michael Howe who in his mid-teens played the lead in the series Tom Grattan's War which aired for three seasons from 1968: that seems to remain his main claim to fame altho he has a long history of acting credits more onstage than screen. His portfolio can be viewed here: https://www.castnet.co.uk/actor/michael-howe For those unmotivated to click I can assure you he is nice looking - think a Robert Redford/ Colin Firth cross - ; indeed "attractive" is listed as one of his "Other Skills" (which also include "Full Clean Driving Licence" - something I know I appreciate in a stage performer). [;)]

And oh yes - I have breathed a sigh of relief!

ImageYikes - almost missed this: Son of a Preacher Man is booked into Cardiff playing the New Theatre May 15 to 19. Not sure if Liz is interested in attending but I hope it gladdens her heart that Wales isn't being overlooked: in fact besides playing Cardiff the musical will be hosted by the Venue Cymru in Llandudno May 29 – June 2. Sut grwfi!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Yes at least it's coming to Cardiff. Hope it's good. [:)]

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby AGirlCalledHannah » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm glad the show is coming to Cardiff, hopefully I'll be able to attend [:D]
Hannah x

If time were not a moving thing, and I could make it stay.
AGirlCalledHannah
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 pm

SOAPMday2.jpg
SOAPMday2.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
A shot from Day 2 of rehearsals for Son of a Preacher Man: presumably the musicians on-view are the supporting cast members who according to the casting call all have to play instruments. I have reduced the size of the photograph: alas - even full-size the printing in the script isn't possible to make out. Should anyone wish to try, click here - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGJsRe2XoAElXyu.jpg

BTW - do you think the reason "the other Dusty musical" isn't set to play anywhere til next summer despite being workshopped this spring is that the play couldn't get a West End booking without a try-out run and it was felt that touring at the same time as the SOAPM musical - whose last date is a week after the "other musical"'s premiere date - would cause confusion and/or over-supply the demand for a Dusty-focused musical? Or perhaps you have more important things to think about!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Next

Return to Don't Forget About Me