Musical

Dusty News, General Dusty Chat,...all the Bits and Pieces that Don't Fit Elsewhere.

Re: Musical

Postby daydreamer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:10 pm

I agree with you wholeheartedly, I don't wish serious illness on anyone. I've had conversations with Pat and she has found it in her heart to forgive Vicki for the book, Dusty told her before she died that it would happen and not to get upset as it wouldn't hurt her (Dusty). It took Pat a long time to get there but she now says C'est a vie and that life is too short to carry on the bad feeling. I'll never know why they were in such a hurry to write DWD and make so many mistakes, maybe the fact that Penny was already ill had something to do with it as she was the actual writer. And as I've said many times, Vicki has not put a foot wrong since then and has always praised Dusty any chance she has had.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:56 pm

I too hope Vicki gets well soon.

Wouldn't wish ill health on anyone
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:38 pm

ImageFrom the March 9 Daily Mail, confirming Craig Revel Horwood as directing the Churchill Theatre production of SOAPM which is now spoken off in terms of "an autumn tour": (click to enlarge)
SOAPM.jpg

I'm pleased about Louise Redknapp's involvement (altho I realize it's tentative) : she should be a strong draw and from what I've heard of her while she's no Dusty she should be able to effectively put across Dusty's songbook. There's nothing at present about any SOAPM involvement at Louise's official site: if anyone's interested in checking for updates, click http://louiseredknappofficial.co.uk/
Last edited by Sweetbaby on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:15 am

We have tickets for Manchester in September. Below is a list of some of the venues (I notice Bromley is missing) and on Facebook they have "a special announcement" tomorrow (Monday), which I guess could be confirming Louise Redknapp....or something totally different :)

http://www.atgtickets.com/shows/son-of-a-preacher-man/

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby thc@c » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:16 am

Hi everyone

This show is also on at the Grand Opera House in Belfast from 21-25 November - we've booked!

I would love to add an image of our superb Victorian theatre risen from the ashes of an evil bombing campaign by IRA terrorists in the seventies & eighties, but I haven't learnt how to post images yet!!

Sorry!!
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Here you go Henry..... [:)] It certainly is a fabulous building.

Grand-Opera-House-6.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby trek007 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:43 pm

I've booked to see it at Birmingham on 14 th Sept.
That does look a lovely building in Belfast Henry.
The Birmingham dates are before Manchester and Belfast so I can review it!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby thc@c » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Thank you Carole!! Yes, it does look good. I notice Blood Brothers is being advertised in that image - my wife and I have seen that musical there also. Thanks for your comments too Trek (still haven't managed to bump into you at Todber yet - maybe this year!) Will look forward to your review Trek, I wonder will they use Dusty's actual recordings as a soundtrack?

Hx
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby pat.dunham » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks all for the info on "SOAPM". I hope it comes to Watford which is quite close,if not will have to wait for, possible, West End transfer.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:13 am

[:I] Well I see I was absolutely wrong about the venues SOAPM might play subsequent to the Churchill - hey it made theoretic sense! I have edited my prior post deleting the image of the HQ theaters so as not to confuse my board buds about where SOAPM is playing. It is curious that the ATG ticket site evidently isn't vending for the Churchill - here's a link with info for the Churchill engagement which has the facility for booking tickets:
https://churchilltheatre.co.uk/Online/d ... BB3776D43F

Perhaps I shouldn't try speculating again - astute of me I know - but IM(very)HO there's a good chance that the play will be booked in theaters subsequent to the latest announced date of November 25 if tickets for the announced dates sell well (likely further bookings for SOAPM would be subsequent to the holiday season when regional theatres go "panto-loco"!). And if a name performer such as Louise Redknapp does come onboard the chances are very good for further dates - and also for a West End transfer altho that's not guaranteed: it didn't happen with the 2000 Mari Wilson vehicle. But there's a reasonable chance that in a few months time the West End may be doubly Dusty - and with this play and the Katherine Kingsley vehicle being so distinct in nature I think there's a good chance each would bolster the other's success.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:04 pm

There is a fuller list of theatres on their Facebook page now, Bromley included :)

4 September – 9 September 2017
Churchill Theatre, Bromley

12 September – 16 September 2017
New Alexandra Theatre Birmingham

19 – 23 September 2017
Sunderland Empire Theatre, Sunderland

26 September – 30 September 2017
Palace Theatre, Manchester

3 October – 7 October 2017
Grand Opera House, York

10 October – 14 October 2017
Regent Theatre, Stoke

17 – 21 October 2017
Festival Theatre, Edinburgh

24 October – 28 October 2017
New Theatre, Oxford

31 October – 4 November 2017
Assembly Hall Theatre, Tunbridge Wells

7 November – 11 November 2017
Hull New Theatre, Hull

14 November – 18 November 2017
New Wimbledon Theatre, Wimbledon

21 November – 25 November 2017
Belfast Grand Opera House, Belfast

28 November – 2 December 2017
Wycombe Swan, High Wycombe

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Its fairly getting around which makes a lovely change from just London.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 pm

WycombeSwan.jpg
WycombeSwan.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Hurrah - I accurately predicted one venue!

I just noticed Henry's post wondering if the original Dusty recordings would be heard during the performances. My assumption is that the performers will sing the songs: that would agree with the tentative casting of Louise Redknapp who's known as a singer rather than an actress, and also the play's promo includes a credit for Musical Supervisor & Arrangements , that being Paul Herbert.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby daydreamer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:05 pm

I haven't thought for one moment that it would be Dusty singing, that wouldn't happen in a production like this, unlike where it could (and hopefully would!) happen in a film.

songs.jpg
songs.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 pm

SOAPM.jpg
SOAPM.jpg (69.87 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
There's a website up now @ http://www.sonofapreachermanmusical.com/: as yet there's nothing definite there we don't already know altho the tour dates page does read "2018 tour dates coming soon". The Cast & Creatives page does have pix of most of the "Creatives" if anyone's interested: as far as the Cast at the moment there's nothing more than "To be annonced soon!" (BTW - it really does read "annonced".) I've posted the image from the main page which is somewhat fuller than the one used in promos up til now: I confess I hadn't noticed the couple embracing! As it is a static image the "Book Tickets" button in the posted image isn't operational: click the url link to access the fully operational main page of the site.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 am

Well let's hope it's better than the mainly mediocre ones before ..........
I see from the venue list that yet again Wales has been ignored. [:(!]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 pm

ImageWell Liz there's at least tentative plans for further dates in the new year and while my track record for predicting where SOAPM might play isn't the strongest - I got one out of eleven - I'll presume to at least suggest there's a good chance of one of the 2018 engagements being at a Cardiff venue such as the New Theater or the Wales Millennium Center, both of which regularly host touring productions - eg. the production of Sister Act helmed by SOAPM's director Craig Revel Harwood will be at WMC in three weeks and the Cilla musical plays the New Theater this autumn - : at present both the WMC and the New have a wide open schedule for the first quarter of 2018.

BTW I'm not sure if it's your thing but the revival of the 60s revue Shout! plays the New Theater the third week of April (subsequent to an engagement at the Churchill the Bromley theater where SOAPM will premiere).

There doesn't seem to presently be any new developments re either the SOAPM musical or the biographical play to be directed by Maria Friedman - altho it was announced that the latter will be workshopped in April - but IMHO Dusty fans can be encouraged by the evident success of the Friedman-helmed revival of Stepping Out which debuted at the Chichester Festival last autumn and is currently in the fifth week of a fifteen week engagement at the Vaudeville Theater in Westminster: the critics seem to be trying to outdo each other praising Friedman's direction so there'll be no lack of ammo for advance promo for Friedman's Dusty play next year.

SOAPM.png
SOAPM.png (62.19 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
BTW - forgive me if this has been obvious to everyone but me but I've just realized the sign in the SOAPM promo pic is shaped like a turntable with a tonearm. IMHO the musical deserves to be a hit on the basis of that alone!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:34 am

SophiaBehn.png
SophiaBehn.png (70.17 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Well we're evidently still in the doldrums as far as developments in either of the upcoming Dusty musicals but my inveterate web trawling did turn up a stage musical which - like the Seekers jukebox musical recently mounted in Oz - features a Dusty cameo. All or Nothing, a jukebox musical focused on the Small Faces which last year had a London "fringe" run of some ten weeks and also played 22 tour dates, has just launched a new touring leg at the Civic Theater Chelmsford: currently at the New Alex (Birmingham) the play is set for 23 additional venues over the next four months. Not sure how Steve Marriott & co connect with Dusty but since its inaugural London run All or Nothing has featured actress Sophia Biehn (pictured above) performing YDHTSYLM as Dusty (Ms Biehn also plays RSG presenter Cathy McGowan).

If anyone's interested here's a link to the ATG Tickets page for All or Nothing: http://www.atgtickets.com/shows/all-or-nothing/

And a review of the New Alex engagement: http://www.expressandstar.com/entertain ... -pictures/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:12 pm

SophiaBehnDusty2.png
SophiaBehnDusty2.png (169.47 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
And another shot of Sophia Behn as Dusty: know it's only a cameo but think they might have gone with a coif closer to the one Dusty actually sported in 1966.

Also I've viewed the Wright Stuff vid on the LTD home page in which Matthew Wright's guest discusses the Maria Friedman helmed Dusty musical mentioning that he'll be playing Vic Billings: perhaps I just didn't catch it but I didn't hear the guest's name mentioned and as he's (I believe) the only actor besides Katherine Kingsley in any way confirmed for the play I'd be especially interested to know who he is. Can any of my board buds ID this gent?
WrightStuff.png
WrightStuff.png (79.44 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:55 pm

ImageTwo 2018 dates for the SOAPM musical have been confirmed: 16 - 20 January at Cliffs Pavilion Southend and 30 January - 3 February Theatre Royal Nottingham.

Still nothing on the cast - if any "name" performers will be involved I hope their announcement's not left too late as it might boost ticket sales and encourage further bookings. But perhaps the assumption's that Craig Revel Horwood as director and Dusty herself will be big enough draws.

Trivia note: the 2000 Dusty touring musical - which premiered at the Churchill Theatre Bromley where SOAPM will launch - played its final date at the Theatre Royal in Nottingham. However I have no doubt that several subsequent dates for SOAPM will be announced - hopefully one in Cardiff!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

PreviousNext

Return to Don't Forget About Me