Two Dusty discs rank in Dutch Top 200 of the '60s

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

Two Dusty discs rank in Dutch Top 200 of the '60s

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:29 pm

Tulips.gif
Tulips.gif (108.19 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Dutch oldies station Radio 5 has compiled a list of the Top 200 most appreciated records of the 1960's - not sure of the methodology but I'll accept it as Dusty is ranked twice. I suspect my board buds will share my surprise at which two Dusty tracks are afforded a ranking: Goin' Back is #199 while Summer is Over is #84. Dusty's one of three British songstresses to make the list: Marianne Faithfull is at #66 with As Tears Go By and #131 with This Little Bird, while Helen Shapiro is at #79 with Queen For Tonight. Here's the Top 10:
1 The House Of The Rising Sun Animals 2 God Only Knows Beach Boys 3 Lea Cats 4 A Whiter Shade Of Pale Procol Harum 5 La Comparsa ZZ & de Maskers 6 Yesterday Beatles 7 Brandend Zand Anneke Grönloh
8 Nights In White Satin Moody Blues 9 The Sound Of Silence Simon & Garfunkel 10 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction Rolling Stones

To see the entire list click here - http://radio.nl/810015/the-animals-nieu ... e-jaren-60
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Re: Two Dusty discs rank in Dutch Top 200 of the '60s

Postby trek007 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Interesting!
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby SmallTownGirl » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 am

Hi! Not a big surprise for the Dutchies that Dusty scored very well with ‘Summer Is Over’. Back in time, long before I was born, a very popular radio station in Holland called ‘Radio Veronica’ used the intro of ‘Summer Is Over’ for one of their jingles. Unfortunately we can’t hear Dusty singing on it (Patricia Paay’s vocals, a Dutch singer, are recorded).
It’s a shame that only two of Dusty’s songs appear in the list, but still a compliment. The songs that were voted in it are absolutely worth the list.
- Lisette
SmallTownGirl
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 pm

ImageWell of course I'd have no problem with the list being Dusty-er but two entries seems to be the most that was possible for female vocalists - and Petula Clark and Sandie Shaw aren't ranked at all despite having topped the Dutch hit parade.

Thank you Lisette for the info on Summer is Over: again I wouldn't object to Dusty's original vocal being featured but it's appropriate that a local singer be heard in the Netherlands and Patricia Paay is fantastic. Any road - it's Dusty's version that's ranked in the Top 200!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby SmallTownGirl » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:46 pm

You’re very welcome of course! [:)]
In 1964 ‘Summer Is Over’ became a B-side in Holland (while ‘Losing You’ was featured on the other side). In 1974 the single was re-released but with switched sides. I don’t have any proof, but I believe the ‘Radio Veronica’ jingle is the main reason for this choice.
However, ‘Summer Is Over’ is one of the songs that immediately hooked me. Still, every time the intro comes on, I close my eyes (and count to ten haha) and let the music along with Dusty’s voice walk into my head.
I’m glad to know that many people are going to hear two of Dusty’s songs, we all know what can be the aftermath… [ear]
- Lisette
SmallTownGirl
Little by little
Little by little

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music