The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Postby countrycake » Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Real Gone Music are issuing a third and, they say, possibly final compilation of Dusty material under the title The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me (Expanded Edition) on 7 July.

It is a single CD with 17 tracks, made up of the 10 tracks from the US album A Brand New Me plus 6 tracks which have been released before in various forms plus one track which is seeing the light of day for the first time. That is listed by the company as Sweet Charlie, though Paul Howes' book lists the title as Sweet Charlie Babe.

Amazon UK have the CD listed at £19.14. Here is a link to the relevant page of Real Gone Music's site:

http://www.realgonemusic.com/display/Search?searchQuery=dusty+springfield&moduleId=11385503&moduleFilter=&categoryFilter=&startAt=0

When you get to that page, scroll down to the entry for 2017-07-07, which is flagged DS and Keely Smith. When you click on it, it will download to your computer a detailed page about the forthcoming CD.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Postby jennifer49 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Ta Jim, new nothing about 'Sweet Charlie Babe. Just listened to Jackie Moore's version
on YouTube, quite like it but can't wait to hear Dusty's version.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue May 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Took the liberty - Philly pun there (think about it) - of uploading the item here: click to enlarge.
DustyPhillySessions.PNG

It's mind-blowing that Sweet Charlie [Babe] is being released: it's been generally held (as stated in Paul Howes' Complete Dusty Springfield) that "Sigma used the same tapes for Jackie Moore's version [having Jackie] record her vocal over Dusty's." As I've mentioned on this board I've read online posts by MFSB guitarist Bobby Eli that he played on the backing track for Dusty's Charlie and later played on a distinct track for Jackie's version, but I assumed that even if not sacrificed for Jackie's version Dusty's vocal must have been lost some other way not to have surfaced for five decades. I recall disco dancing to Jackie's version, and while I don't imagine Dusty's version could have been a hit - her early 70s profile was extremely low and she wouldn't have received R&B radio support as did Jackie - IMHO the song should suit Dusty's voice much more than Jackie's. (Even allowing for Dusty's version being shelved if not scrapped I'd have thought Sweet Charlie Babe would have been reassigned to a poppier Philly act such as the Three Degrees rather than the earthy-sounding Jackie.)
Last edited by Sweetbaby on Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby countrycake » Wed May 10, 2017 9:04 am

Sweetbaby, thanks for downloading the Real Gone Music webpage. I tried to do this last night, but when the download had not completed after 15 minutes, I gave up and opted for the hyperlink instead.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Duster » Wed May 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Final? But they haven't released Longing on vinyl yet! Still, this is great news!
-Mike
Duster
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Corinna » Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 pm

[:o] [:o] Mindblowing indeed! Thanks for this find, Jim and Richard!

Sounds indeed like a song that suits Dusty to a T. Of course I'll put my order in... :yes:

Though I hope this quote doesn't mean they've removed the lovely 'clearing her throat in tune' sound from Let's Get Together Soon: 'former iterations of this material have not been sonically quite up to snuff,' :?
Attachments
brandnewmeexp.png
brandnewmeexp.png (338.68 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby boztiggs » Wed May 10, 2017 8:01 pm

well well well, the surprises never cease!! Cant wait to get my hands on this one!!
boztiggs
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Cas19 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:58 am

How amazing can't wait to hear this. Thank you.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 am

What a lovely surprise! This may possibly be the final release planned by Real Gone but I really hope it's not the last 'lost' recording that's ever found and released. I still yearn to hear the slow version of 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow', which it's been said is still in existence.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Graham2010 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 am

Would love to YGAF slow version....................I Have it in the back of my mind that when Vicky was New York correspondent for Melody Maker (early 70's) she made comment that Dusty had recorded YGAF and Up on the roof and these were the best versions............does anyone else recall this? Bearing in mind Dusty featured UONTR extensively on TV shows around that time.....................maybe or not................maybe I am going mad.
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby AGirlCalledHannah » Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 am

This is brilliant news! I have just put my order in. Looking forward to the release [:D]
Hannah x

If time were not a moving thing, and I could make it stay.
AGirlCalledHannah
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby edjames » Thu May 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Would love to hear the backstory of this find. Where was the track located and why was it overlooked/lost in the past?

ED
edjames
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby humboldt » Thu May 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Will be ordering a copy of course :yes:
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby darren2722 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Awesome news. :bravo: Thanks Jim. :yes:
I Couldn't Ask For More
darren2722
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby DustyDanny » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Great news! I always thought the original album sounded a bit muddy so hopefully this new release will sound a bit better. Even better is the inclusion of Sweet Charlie Babe - like a lot of others I thought that track had been lost.
DustyDanny
Little by little
Little by little

Postby daydreamer » Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 am

I've spoken with Paul Howes and re Sweet Charlie, it is actually a different song. Although logs have always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe. After all, what would be the chances of two Philly songs having almost identical titles, especially with the words 'Sweet Charlie'. So now we can look forward to a total surprise :) Also he confirmed that Something For Nothing will have strings! [:)]
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Corinna » Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 am

That's absolutely amazing news! July 7 can't come soon enough! [yahoo]
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby humboldt » Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 pm

daydreamer wrote:I've spoken with Paul Howes and re Sweet Charlie, it is actually a different song. Although logs have always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe. After all, what would be the chances of two Philly songs having almost identical titles, especially with the words 'Sweet Charlie'. So now we can look forward to a total surprise :) Also he confirmed that Something For Nothing will have strings! [:)]

Oh Carole, that's great news thanks. I never actually liked the Jackie Moore song [:D] X
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby trek007 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Looking forward to this...with or without "babe"! [;)]
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 am

daydreamer wrote:I've spoken with Paul Howes and re Sweet Charlie, it is actually a different song. Although logs have always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe. After all, what would be the chances of two Philly songs having almost identical titles, especially with the words 'Sweet Charlie'. So now we can look forward to a total surprise :) Also he confirmed that Something For Nothing will have strings! [:)]

[:o] Thanks for the info Carole and it's fantastic that Dusty's Sweet Charlie is seeing the light of day.It's certainly a surprise that it's not the Jackie Moore hit Sweet Charlie Babe - and presumably a surprise to Mr Howes as his Complete Dusty Springfield unconditionally equates the Sweet Charlies recorded by Dusty and Jackie. Can Paul tip us off as to the authorship of Dusty's Charlie?

BTW while I wouldn't imagine a Dusty version of Sweet Charlie Babe as opposed to Sweet Charlie would - apart from featuring Dusty's fabulous voice - be any kind of overlooked gem I still maintain Sweet Charlie Babe would have suited Dusty's frothier voice more than Jackie's earthier tones. I realize it's neither here nor there now - just sayin'...
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Next

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music