The Springfields again!

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

The Springfields again!

Postby countrycake » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Amazon UK is showing another MP3 album due for release on 22 August. The album is titled Masterpiece Collection and the artist is shown as Dusty Springfield. However, the album consists of 12 tracks by The Springfields all dating from 1962 and therefore out of copyright.
Attachments
Ultimate Collection.jpg
Ultimate Collection.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 6241 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: The Springfields again!

Postby countrycake » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Since the above posting I have found that another MP3 album is due for release on 27 July in the UK. Entitled Greatest Hits by Dusty Springfield, it is again 12 tracks by The Springfields all dating from 1962.
Attachments
Greatest Hits.jpg
Greatest Hits.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Three more MP3 albums have turned up.

One is titled Dusty Springfield: The Ultimate Hit Collection and was released in the UK on 18 July. Something of a misnomer it consists of the 12 tracks of The Springfields' album Kinda Folksy, with a slight change in the running order.

The second is '60s Dance Party With Dusty Springfield and was released on 1 July. It consists of 12 tracks by The Springfields, made up of 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and 4 from 1962 singles.

The third is Dusty Springfield: The Greatest Hits issued in the UK on 8 July. Again, this is 12 tracks by The Springfields, all from Kinda Folksy.This has similar artwork to to the one scheduled for release on 27 July (see above posting) under the title Greatest Hits and consists of the same tracks in the same order. Both MP3 albums are issued by the same company, ie Afire.
Attachments
60s Dance Party With Dusty Springfield.jpg
60s Dance Party With Dusty Springfield.jpg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
The Greatest Hits - Dusty Springfield.jpg
The Greatest Hits - Dusty Springfield.jpg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
Dusty Springfield - The Ultimate Hit Collection.jpg
Dusty Springfield - The Ultimate Hit Collection.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:26 pm

One word : CON [V]

Brian
"Live it up"
Brian
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby countrycake » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:28 am

Brian, I entirely agree. I merely record these issues for the sake of completeness.

Is Kinda Folksy the most reissued album in the digital sphere?
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re above, there was yet another MP3 album of The Springfields released in the UK on 20 June. It carries the title Precious and is credited to Dusty Springfield. Like a couple of the others mentioned above, it has the same 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and the same 4 tracks from 1962 singles releases.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KCU7VMI/ref=sr_1_152_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00KCU8IMA&qid=1406459451&sr=1-152%3C/a%3E

On 5 June an MP3 album entitled Milestones was reissued. Credited to DS, it consists of the 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy.

Finally on 31 May Pretty Rainbow, consisting of 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and 4 tracks from 1962 singles, was released.
Attachments
Precious.jpg
Precious.jpg (27.35 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Milestones.jpg
Milestones.jpg (13.01 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Pretty Rainbow.jpg
Pretty Rainbow.jpg (31.25 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 am

Three further MP3 albums consisting of tracks by the Springfields from 1962:
Attachments
Opulent Event 190414.jpg
Opulent Event 190414.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
The Best of Dusty Springfield 200514.jpg
The Best of Dusty Springfield 200514.jpg (16.56 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
The Best of Dusty Springfield 250514.jpg
The Best of Dusty Springfield 250514.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Corinna » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm

This is SO puzzling... :crazy:
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 am

If you think this is bad just wait till her solo work is in the public domain. All those carefully crafted albums shunted aside by a market flooded with re-interpretations of her work.

Maggie
ImageImage
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby countrycake » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Maggie, you might take some comfort from the changes in EU copyright law which took effect from 1 November 2013 in respect of recorded works.

From that date works do not come into the public domain until 70 years after they were first released commercially, so that the earliest any of Dusty's solo records can enter the public domain will be November 2033. I will need to reach 84 to see that.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Another MP3 album of The Springfields is issued on 5 September in the UK. It has 9 tracks from Kinda Folksy and 3 other tracks from 1962.
Attachments
Deluxe Edition.jpg
Deluxe Edition.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 5952 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:56 am

Another week, another Springfields MP3 album or two. September 11 saw the release in the UK of 'Dusty Springfield - Best of'. It consists of the 12 tracks from 'Kinda Folksy', albeit in a different running order.

September 9 saw the release of 'Top Town', consisting of 'Island of Dreams' and eight tracks from 'Kinda Folksy', ie nine tracks with a total running time of 20:19. Both albums are credited to Dusty Springfield.
Attachments
Dusty Springfield - Best of.jpg
Dusty Springfield - Best of.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
Top Town.jpg
Top Town.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:24 am

There is another MP3 album due for release on 2 January 2015. This time it consists of 65 tracks by the Lana Sisters and the Springfields under the title 'Chimes of Arcady (The Dusty Springfields Records Story)'.
Attachments
Chimes of Arcady.jpg
Chimes of Arcady.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 am

Re above, I forgot to include the link to Amazon UK, which is selling it for £5.49:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O3AQT0I/ref=sr_1_4_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00O3AVSYA&qid=1412417005&sr=1-4%3C/a%3E
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:31 am

Hi All

I just have to answer this problem. I have for quite a few years work for various record companies and what we have here is what often happens with older recordings. Once the original company that made the record has sold as many copies as they could on their label they still have the mixed masters which they can make money from.
So these masters are sold onto another company who believe that they can recoup the money spent by issuing these records for a lesser price but most times they have to repackage them as the original packaging belongs to the first company who have only sold the mixed master tracks not the sleeves. Once the new company has the track masters they mix them up put them in a different order onto a CD and try and sell them. They normally do not get the multi-tracks (the original individual musicians and vocalist tracks) so they can only tweek the master tracks of each song. Otherwise if they had the Multi tracks they could keep the lead vocals and replace the backing
musicians. The publisher owns the rights to the song but not the recording which has to have his permission to be release onto the market.
So in conclusion the new owners of these tracks wants to make their money back so they release as many versions as they can of the same songs, but in a different order. Hence the sleeves are changed.
You must also remember that they (The New CD's) may not have been sold to the but just least from the original company. Many of the recordings that I produced have been down this same road coming out on different labels, as a producer or artist this is good as we must also get paid for our work.
As for the publishing that is a different matter. I see that some said some things about public domain being 70years. Well as regard to publishing this is sort of right there are always hidden clauses though. Up to a few years ago it was 50 years but it was extended to I though 75 years but it could be 70. However one of these clauses jumps in. What we are talking about is the song publishing not the artist rights. The publishing company together with royalty collection companies like PAMBRA (UK), APRA (AUS), ASCAP (USA) and others in the rest of the World protect the rights of the song writers eg; Tom Springfield, Lennon & McCartney, Burt Bacharach and Carol King etc. and any other writers who are published. The public domain clauses apply to these people, the finer print also states that their work (Song and compositions) becomes free use by the public, used to be 50 now either 70 or 75 years AFTER their Death not after it was recorded. So songs written by Dusty will not be public until (Using 75years) 2074. I am sure that will not be in my lifetime, that will make me 134years old.
I hope this helps a bit..

Cheers Douggie <3 :note: :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby countrycake » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:50 am

Douggie, thanks for all that background.

All the Springfields' albums I have been logging are MP3 releases only and the bulk of them have restricted themselves to material that had fallen out of copyright before 1 November 2013, when copyright of recorded works was extended to 70 years from the year of first release. The change on 1 November 2013 didn't affect the status of recordings that had already entered the public domain under the previous 50-year rule. This means that very little in the way of the Springfields' recordings are still in copyright.

The digital revolution has made it much easier for fly-by-night companies to set themselves up to issue non-copyrighted recordings. I doubt if any of the MP3 albums I have been logging have been licensed from Universal. It is much more difficult for traditional recording companies to police the world of digital music than the world of CDs and vinyl.

Douggie is right to distinguish recordings from the musical work that is the subject of the recording, in that they are subject to different rules as regards copyright. That said, I very much doubt that composers and publishers are seeing anything in the way of royalties from the releases that I have been listing. The bodies releasing these MP3 albums are probably little more than one-person companies who will not be members of any trade bodies and who will not be part of any royalty collection systems.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:34 am

countrycake wrote:Douggie, thanks for all that background.

All the Springfields' albums I have been logging are MP3 releases only and the bulk of them have restricted themselves to material that had fallen out of copyright before 1 November 2013, when copyright of recorded works was extended to 70 years from the year of first release. The change on 1 November 2013 didn't affect the status of recordings that had already entered the public domain under the previous 50-year rule. This means that very little in the way of the Springfields' recordings are still in copyright.

The digital revolution has made it much easier for fly-by-night companies to set themselves up to issue non-copyrighted recordings. I doubt if any of the MP3 albums I have been logging have been licensed from Universal. It is much more difficult for traditional recording companies to police the world of digital music than the world of CDs and vinyl.

Douggie is right to distinguish recordings from the musical work that is the subject of the recording, in that they are subject to different rules as regards copyright. That said, I very much doubt that composers and publishers are seeing anything in the way of royalties from the releases that I have been listing. The bodies releasing these MP3 albums are probably little more than one-person companies who will not be members of any trade bodies and who will not be part of any royalty collection systems.

Hi Jim

The people who are making these MP3 albums should be very careful as they are not as invisible as they think they are and can be traced. If they do catch them they could be taken to task for lots of money. Being a producer, musician and composer, royalties! make up our wages so to speak. So if somebody is making money from others work and are not doing the right thing! They should not be supported. Don't buy anything from them.
I have also put in something re copyright that may interest some. It can be complicated.

There are various kinds of copyright:-

1) Writers copyright eg: Tom Springfield, Lennon & McCartney, Burt Bacharach and Carol King etc. their
copyright is their lifetime plus 70years.

2) Recording copyright:- 70 years after the end of the first year published recording or unpublished Copyright lasts perpetually or until the material published.

Sound Recordings include underlying works such as the music (musical work), song lyrics, script (literary works) etc. These works are protected separately to the sound recording and may remaining in copyright even if copyright in the sound recording has expired. If so, the recording can only used as permitted under the Copyright Act or with permission from each of the copyright owners of the underlying works.
Sound recordings of early music, e.g. classical music, are not necessarily copyright free. The composition and lyrics will most likely be out of copyright, but the date the recording was made will determine whether or not copyright in the recording itself has expired. If copyright protection still applies, permission will be required from the recording company.

3) Broadcast copyright:- Before 1st May 1969 - No copyright protection. However, the underlying works in the broadcasts - the images, music, sounds, screenplays etc - would have had protection as photographs (artistic works); dramatic works, and sound recordings.
50 years after the end of the year the first broadcast was made.(After 1st May 1969)

Broadcasts created before 1 May 1969 are protected as combination of types of copyright material, with different periods of duration depending on the type of material and who created the work. This means that copyright in the broadcasts will expire separately and parts of the broadcast may be out of copyright, while other parts remain in copyright.
Likewise, for broadcasts created after 1 May 1969, copyright might expire in the broadcast but remain in the underlying works.

4) Films :- Before 1 May 1969, Protected as a combination of photographs, dramatic works and sound recordings. After 1 May 1969, Published 70 years from the end of the year the film is first published (or made available to the public). Unpublished Lasts indefinitely until the film is published and then 70 years from the end of the year the film is first published.

Films and broadcasts created before 1 May 1969 are protected as combination of different types of copyright material, with different periods of duration depending on the type of material and who created the work. This means that copyright in the film and broadcasts will expired separately and parts of the film or broadcast may be out of copyright, while other parts remain in copyright.
Likewise, for films and broadcasts created after 1 May 1969, copyright might expire in the film or broadcast but remain in the underlying works.

The copyright act is complicated and goes on and on so I only included possible connections to music etc.
Look it gives everybody something to read anyway..

Cheers Douggie <3 Dusty <3 :note: :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby pat.dunham » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:14 am

Thanks Douggie , for explaining some of the copyright rules. I had not realised the complexity. This of course explains why so many Youtube videos and audio clips have been deleted. I don't know what genre Youtube comes under. Broadcasting ?. An awful lot of money must have been lost by the writers, performers etc. Policing all the sites is almost impossible.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:01 am

Douggie, many thanks for supplementing my fairly rudimentary knowledge of copyright as it affects recordings, a knowledge gained as a UK tax inspector dealing with the affairs of Chrysalis Records, prior to its acquisition by EMI, and Universal Music, prior to its acquisition of PolyGram.

I have read the revised EU legislation that came into effect on 1 November 2013. Perhaps, you could clarify a point for me. The legislation talks of the 'year' of first release rather than the 'date' of first release. For example, take a record first issued on 1 April 1963. Did that fall out of copyright on 2 April 2013 under the 50-year rule or remain in copyright under the 70-year rule because it was still in copyright at 1 November 2013, because even under the 50-year rule it wouldn't have entered the public domain until 1 January 2014, ie 50 years after the end of 1963?

For the avoidance of doubt, I was not exhorting anyone to buy the various MP3 albums that I have been logging.
I was merely listing them as a matter of record in the same way that members note any other Dusty-related material.

Virtually all the Springfields' material is still available on a double-CD issued by Cherry Red/RPM, ie 'On An Island of Dreams'. If anyone is still wanting Springfields' tracks, they should buy that, as all the tracks have been licensed from Universal and all the creators should be properly compensated.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 am

Hi JIM

i just did a very long answer to your question but it crashed just as I was sending it

Dam I'll have think of what I just wrote

Cheers Doug
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Next

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music