The Springfields again!

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

The Springfields again!

Postby countrycake » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Amazon UK is showing another MP3 album due for release on 22 August. The album is titled Masterpiece Collection and the artist is shown as Dusty Springfield. However, the album consists of 12 tracks by The Springfields all dating from 1962 and therefore out of copyright.
Attachments
Ultimate Collection.jpg
Ultimate Collection.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 10804 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: The Springfields again!

Postby countrycake » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Since the above posting I have found that another MP3 album is due for release on 27 July in the UK. Entitled Greatest Hits by Dusty Springfield, it is again 12 tracks by The Springfields all dating from 1962.
Attachments
Greatest Hits.jpg
Greatest Hits.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 10797 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Three more MP3 albums have turned up.

One is titled Dusty Springfield: The Ultimate Hit Collection and was released in the UK on 18 July. Something of a misnomer it consists of the 12 tracks of The Springfields' album Kinda Folksy, with a slight change in the running order.

The second is '60s Dance Party With Dusty Springfield and was released on 1 July. It consists of 12 tracks by The Springfields, made up of 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and 4 from 1962 singles.

The third is Dusty Springfield: The Greatest Hits issued in the UK on 8 July. Again, this is 12 tracks by The Springfields, all from Kinda Folksy.This has similar artwork to to the one scheduled for release on 27 July (see above posting) under the title Greatest Hits and consists of the same tracks in the same order. Both MP3 albums are issued by the same company, ie Afire.
Attachments
60s Dance Party With Dusty Springfield.jpg
60s Dance Party With Dusty Springfield.jpg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 10748 times
The Greatest Hits - Dusty Springfield.jpg
The Greatest Hits - Dusty Springfield.jpg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 10748 times
Dusty Springfield - The Ultimate Hit Collection.jpg
Dusty Springfield - The Ultimate Hit Collection.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 10748 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:26 pm

One word : CON [V]

Brian
"Live it up"
Brian
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby countrycake » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:28 am

Brian, I entirely agree. I merely record these issues for the sake of completeness.

Is Kinda Folksy the most reissued album in the digital sphere?
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re above, there was yet another MP3 album of The Springfields released in the UK on 20 June. It carries the title Precious and is credited to Dusty Springfield. Like a couple of the others mentioned above, it has the same 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and the same 4 tracks from 1962 singles releases.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KCU7VMI/ref=sr_1_152_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00KCU8IMA&qid=1406459451&sr=1-152%3C/a%3E

On 5 June an MP3 album entitled Milestones was reissued. Credited to DS, it consists of the 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy.

Finally on 31 May Pretty Rainbow, consisting of 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and 4 tracks from 1962 singles, was released.
Attachments
Precious.jpg
Precious.jpg (27.35 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Milestones.jpg
Milestones.jpg (13.01 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Pretty Rainbow.jpg
Pretty Rainbow.jpg (31.25 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 am

Three further MP3 albums consisting of tracks by the Springfields from 1962:
Attachments
Opulent Event 190414.jpg
Opulent Event 190414.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 10673 times
The Best of Dusty Springfield 200514.jpg
The Best of Dusty Springfield 200514.jpg (16.56 KiB) Viewed 10673 times
The Best of Dusty Springfield 250514.jpg
The Best of Dusty Springfield 250514.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 10673 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Corinna » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm

This is SO puzzling... :crazy:
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 am

If you think this is bad just wait till her solo work is in the public domain. All those carefully crafted albums shunted aside by a market flooded with re-interpretations of her work.

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby countrycake » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Maggie, you might take some comfort from the changes in EU copyright law which took effect from 1 November 2013 in respect of recorded works.

From that date works do not come into the public domain until 70 years after they were first released commercially, so that the earliest any of Dusty's solo records can enter the public domain will be November 2033. I will need to reach 84 to see that.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Another MP3 album of The Springfields is issued on 5 September in the UK. It has 9 tracks from Kinda Folksy and 3 other tracks from 1962.
Attachments
Deluxe Edition.jpg
Deluxe Edition.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 10515 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:56 am

Another week, another Springfields MP3 album or two. September 11 saw the release in the UK of 'Dusty Springfield - Best of'. It consists of the 12 tracks from 'Kinda Folksy', albeit in a different running order.

September 9 saw the release of 'Top Town', consisting of 'Island of Dreams' and eight tracks from 'Kinda Folksy', ie nine tracks with a total running time of 20:19. Both albums are credited to Dusty Springfield.
Attachments
Dusty Springfield - Best of.jpg
Dusty Springfield - Best of.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 10413 times
Top Town.jpg
Top Town.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 10413 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:24 am

There is another MP3 album due for release on 2 January 2015. This time it consists of 65 tracks by the Lana Sisters and the Springfields under the title 'Chimes of Arcady (The Dusty Springfields Records Story)'.
Attachments
Chimes of Arcady.jpg
Chimes of Arcady.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 10316 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 am

Re above, I forgot to include the link to Amazon UK, which is selling it for £5.49:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O3AQT0I/ref=sr_1_4_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00O3AVSYA&qid=1412417005&sr=1-4%3C/a%3E
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:31 am

Hi All

I just have to answer this problem. I have for quite a few years work for various record companies and what we have here is what often happens with older recordings. Once the original company that made the record has sold as many copies as they could on their label they still have the mixed masters which they can make money from.
So these masters are sold onto another company who believe that they can recoup the money spent by issuing these records for a lesser price but most times they have to repackage them as the original packaging belongs to the first company who have only sold the mixed master tracks not the sleeves. Once the new company has the track masters they mix them up put them in a different order onto a CD and try and sell them. They normally do not get the multi-tracks (the original individual musicians and vocalist tracks) so they can only tweek the master tracks of each song. Otherwise if they had the Multi tracks they could keep the lead vocals and replace the backing
musicians. The publisher owns the rights to the song but not the recording which has to have his permission to be release onto the market.
So in conclusion the new owners of these tracks wants to make their money back so they release as many versions as they can of the same songs, but in a different order. Hence the sleeves are changed.
You must also remember that they (The New CD's) may not have been sold to the but just least from the original company. Many of the recordings that I produced have been down this same road coming out on different labels, as a producer or artist this is good as we must also get paid for our work.
As for the publishing that is a different matter. I see that some said some things about public domain being 70years. Well as regard to publishing this is sort of right there are always hidden clauses though. Up to a few years ago it was 50 years but it was extended to I though 75 years but it could be 70. However one of these clauses jumps in. What we are talking about is the song publishing not the artist rights. The publishing company together with royalty collection companies like PAMBRA (UK), APRA (AUS), ASCAP (USA) and others in the rest of the World protect the rights of the song writers eg; Tom Springfield, Lennon & McCartney, Burt Bacharach and Carol King etc. and any other writers who are published. The public domain clauses apply to these people, the finer print also states that their work (Song and compositions) becomes free use by the public, used to be 50 now either 70 or 75 years AFTER their Death not after it was recorded. So songs written by Dusty will not be public until (Using 75years) 2074. I am sure that will not be in my lifetime, that will make me 134years old.
I hope this helps a bit..

Cheers Douggie <3 :note: :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby countrycake » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:50 am

Douggie, thanks for all that background.

All the Springfields' albums I have been logging are MP3 releases only and the bulk of them have restricted themselves to material that had fallen out of copyright before 1 November 2013, when copyright of recorded works was extended to 70 years from the year of first release. The change on 1 November 2013 didn't affect the status of recordings that had already entered the public domain under the previous 50-year rule. This means that very little in the way of the Springfields' recordings are still in copyright.

The digital revolution has made it much easier for fly-by-night companies to set themselves up to issue non-copyrighted recordings. I doubt if any of the MP3 albums I have been logging have been licensed from Universal. It is much more difficult for traditional recording companies to police the world of digital music than the world of CDs and vinyl.

Douggie is right to distinguish recordings from the musical work that is the subject of the recording, in that they are subject to different rules as regards copyright. That said, I very much doubt that composers and publishers are seeing anything in the way of royalties from the releases that I have been listing. The bodies releasing these MP3 albums are probably little more than one-person companies who will not be members of any trade bodies and who will not be part of any royalty collection systems.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:34 am

countrycake wrote:Douggie, thanks for all that background.

All the Springfields' albums I have been logging are MP3 releases only and the bulk of them have restricted themselves to material that had fallen out of copyright before 1 November 2013, when copyright of recorded works was extended to 70 years from the year of first release. The change on 1 November 2013 didn't affect the status of recordings that had already entered the public domain under the previous 50-year rule. This means that very little in the way of the Springfields' recordings are still in copyright.

The digital revolution has made it much easier for fly-by-night companies to set themselves up to issue non-copyrighted recordings. I doubt if any of the MP3 albums I have been logging have been licensed from Universal. It is much more difficult for traditional recording companies to police the world of digital music than the world of CDs and vinyl.

Douggie is right to distinguish recordings from the musical work that is the subject of the recording, in that they are subject to different rules as regards copyright. That said, I very much doubt that composers and publishers are seeing anything in the way of royalties from the releases that I have been listing. The bodies releasing these MP3 albums are probably little more than one-person companies who will not be members of any trade bodies and who will not be part of any royalty collection systems.

Hi Jim

The people who are making these MP3 albums should be very careful as they are not as invisible as they think they are and can be traced. If they do catch them they could be taken to task for lots of money. Being a producer, musician and composer, royalties! make up our wages so to speak. So if somebody is making money from others work and are not doing the right thing! They should not be supported. Don't buy anything from them.
I have also put in something re copyright that may interest some. It can be complicated.

There are various kinds of copyright:-

1) Writers copyright eg: Tom Springfield, Lennon & McCartney, Burt Bacharach and Carol King etc. their
copyright is their lifetime plus 70years.

2) Recording copyright:- 70 years after the end of the first year published recording or unpublished Copyright lasts perpetually or until the material published.

Sound Recordings include underlying works such as the music (musical work), song lyrics, script (literary works) etc. These works are protected separately to the sound recording and may remaining in copyright even if copyright in the sound recording has expired. If so, the recording can only used as permitted under the Copyright Act or with permission from each of the copyright owners of the underlying works.
Sound recordings of early music, e.g. classical music, are not necessarily copyright free. The composition and lyrics will most likely be out of copyright, but the date the recording was made will determine whether or not copyright in the recording itself has expired. If copyright protection still applies, permission will be required from the recording company.

3) Broadcast copyright:- Before 1st May 1969 - No copyright protection. However, the underlying works in the broadcasts - the images, music, sounds, screenplays etc - would have had protection as photographs (artistic works); dramatic works, and sound recordings.
50 years after the end of the year the first broadcast was made.(After 1st May 1969)

Broadcasts created before 1 May 1969 are protected as combination of types of copyright material, with different periods of duration depending on the type of material and who created the work. This means that copyright in the broadcasts will expire separately and parts of the broadcast may be out of copyright, while other parts remain in copyright.
Likewise, for broadcasts created after 1 May 1969, copyright might expire in the broadcast but remain in the underlying works.

4) Films :- Before 1 May 1969, Protected as a combination of photographs, dramatic works and sound recordings. After 1 May 1969, Published 70 years from the end of the year the film is first published (or made available to the public). Unpublished Lasts indefinitely until the film is published and then 70 years from the end of the year the film is first published.

Films and broadcasts created before 1 May 1969 are protected as combination of different types of copyright material, with different periods of duration depending on the type of material and who created the work. This means that copyright in the film and broadcasts will expired separately and parts of the film or broadcast may be out of copyright, while other parts remain in copyright.
Likewise, for films and broadcasts created after 1 May 1969, copyright might expire in the film or broadcast but remain in the underlying works.

The copyright act is complicated and goes on and on so I only included possible connections to music etc.
Look it gives everybody something to read anyway..

Cheers Douggie <3 Dusty <3 :note: :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby pat.dunham » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:14 am

Thanks Douggie , for explaining some of the copyright rules. I had not realised the complexity. This of course explains why so many Youtube videos and audio clips have been deleted. I don't know what genre Youtube comes under. Broadcasting ?. An awful lot of money must have been lost by the writers, performers etc. Policing all the sites is almost impossible.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:01 am

Douggie, many thanks for supplementing my fairly rudimentary knowledge of copyright as it affects recordings, a knowledge gained as a UK tax inspector dealing with the affairs of Chrysalis Records, prior to its acquisition by EMI, and Universal Music, prior to its acquisition of PolyGram.

I have read the revised EU legislation that came into effect on 1 November 2013. Perhaps, you could clarify a point for me. The legislation talks of the 'year' of first release rather than the 'date' of first release. For example, take a record first issued on 1 April 1963. Did that fall out of copyright on 2 April 2013 under the 50-year rule or remain in copyright under the 70-year rule because it was still in copyright at 1 November 2013, because even under the 50-year rule it wouldn't have entered the public domain until 1 January 2014, ie 50 years after the end of 1963?

For the avoidance of doubt, I was not exhorting anyone to buy the various MP3 albums that I have been logging.
I was merely listing them as a matter of record in the same way that members note any other Dusty-related material.

Virtually all the Springfields' material is still available on a double-CD issued by Cherry Red/RPM, ie 'On An Island of Dreams'. If anyone is still wanting Springfields' tracks, they should buy that, as all the tracks have been licensed from Universal and all the creators should be properly compensated.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 am

Hi JIM

i just did a very long answer to your question but it crashed just as I was sending it

Dam I'll have think of what I just wrote

Cheers Doug
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby dusty nut » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:08 am

Thank you Doug and Jim for all the information. I'm extremely grateful, I don't have any
MP3 at all, just cd and dvd. If I had, and without your clarifications I would have ordered
them, so thanks again.
Lynn x

Nothing turns the day on, when the world is yawning

dusty nut
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Douggie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:51 pm

countrycake wrote:Douggie, many thanks for supplementing my fairly rudimentary knowledge of copyright as it affects recordings, a knowledge gained as a UK tax inspector dealing with the affairs of Chrysalis Records, prior to its acquisition by EMI, and Universal Music, prior to its acquisition of PolyGram.

I have read the revised EU legislation that came into effect on 1 November 2013. Perhaps, you could clarify a point for me. The legislation talks of the 'year' of first release rather than the 'date' of first release. For example, take a record first issued on 1 April 1963. Did that fall out of copyright on 2 April 2013 under the 50-year rule or remain in copyright under the 70-year rule because it was still in copyright at 1 November 2013, because even under the 50-year rule it wouldn't have entered the public domain until 1 January 2014, ie 50 years after the end of 1963?

For the avoidance of doubt, I was not exhorting anyone to buy the various MP3 albums that I have been logging.
I was merely listing them as a matter of record in the same way that members note any other Dusty-related material.

Virtually all the Springfields' material is still available on a double-CD issued by Cherry Red/RPM, ie 'On An Island of Dreams'. If anyone is still wanting Springfields' tracks, they should buy that, as all the tracks have been licensed from Universal and all the creators should be properly compensated.

Hi Jim

This is mark two as I have now approached it slightly differently.
What I'll do is name a song and follow it through on what happens to that song. I choose a song that everyone will know and also most of what I am trying to say.

" Love Me Do" is the song it was written by John Lennon & Paul McCartney. Published by Ardmore & Beechwood, Recorded by EMI released on Parlophone Records, Broadcast on Radio & Television.. These are the people who have claim to this song and what the copyright means to each.

The song "Love Me Do" was written by John Lennon & Paul McCartney who together with their manager Brian Epstein would have had an agreement with "Ardmore & Beechwood" to publish this song. On signing this agreement or publishing deal they invoked the "Musical Works" copyright.

The job of the publisher now "Ardmore & Beechwood" would be as:-
Copyright owners have exclusive rights over material in which they own copyright, including:

Reproducing the work: photocopying, copying by hand, filming, recording and scanning;
Publishing or making the work public, in print or electronic format;
Communicating the work, e.g. making it available on the web, emailing or faxing it;
Performing the work in public;
Making an adaptation of the work, such as a translation or an arrangement;
Broadcasting the work, or transmiting to subscribers.

For "Ardmore & Beechwood" this service depended on the agreement reached it would give them a % of the song. This agreement for them meant they had the exclusive rights to "Love Me Do" as discribed in the copyright act for a "Musical Work" which is :- Life of the composer + 70 years.

What this means is they ("Ardmore & Beechwood") have the rights for John Lennon's part (Who died 8th December 1980) plus 70 years= until 2032. John Lennon Copyright lasts perpetually.
Whereas Paul McCartney who is still alive is the date he dies + 70 years ( hypothetically if Paul McCartney were to die this year 2014) "Ardmore & Beechwood" would have the rights until 2084. Paul McCartney Copyright lasts perpetually. If and when "Ardmore & Beechwood" copyright expires it would be up John Lennon & Paul McCartney's relevant estates on what to do with this song. Just a note;- Most of their songs later were published by Dick James Music & Northern Songs. This only the publishing part of the situation.

After once Brian Epstein had a publishing deal he had to get it recorded. It has been believed that he had some trouble placing them with a company don't know if this is true or not. He then saw George Martin who signed them.
When it was recorded a contract would have been signed with the record company in this case "Parlophone" under the EMI Banner. On signing this contract they invoked the "Sound Recording" copyright. Which states They (EMI) have copyright on in this case "Love Me Do" for the period of "70 years after the end of the first year published".
How does this work? Well we know that "Love Me Do" was recorded 4th September 1962 also that it was in the charts for two weeks at number 17 on 15th December 1962. So if we look at the clause it reads "70 years after the end of the first year published". This record was released at the end of 1962. If you invoke the clause plus 70 years means that EMI or whoever owns this song "Love Me Do" their copyright will expires in the year 2032. This should be as of 2033 as it would be from the year after the release year. That being 1963 + 70 years = 2033 not as I first wrote 2032. I hope you get the basic idea anyway. [whistle]
This copyright is only for this EMI recording of "Love Me Do" If it were recorded by an other artist for another label a new set of copyright documents would have to be done with those people. Other people may have done this song, but they would of had to negotiate with the publisher at the time "Ardmore & Beechwood" to record it. It was their job to do this guiding where and when it could be used, and had nothing to do with the first record company EMI who just had the rights to their recording of "Love Me Do". this should have covered the recording side.

WE now have the performance side of things such as Radio, Television, Film and live performance.

Radio/Television Copyright Created before 1 May 1969 No copyright protection. However, the underlying works in the broadcasts - the images, music, sounds, screenplays etc - would have had protection as photographs (artistic works); dramatic works, and sound recordings.Radio/Television Copyright Created after 1 May 1969
50 years after the end of the year the first broadcast was made. Using "Love Me Do" again we know it was a hit in 1962 so we presume that it would have been on the radio in 1962. Therefore it would be 1962 plus 50 years meaning the copyright expires in the year 2012. for this song only. On looking at the act again I think as this also includes Television so I now have that covered.

Now for the film side of things:-

Film Copyright Created before 1 May 1969 Protected as a combination of photographs, dramatic works and sound recordings. Film Copyright Created after 1 May 1969 Published:- 70 years from the end of the year the film is first published (or made available to the public). Unpublished:- Lasts indefinitely until the film is published and then 70 years from the end of the year the film is first published.

Notes on Duration in Films & Broadcasts:-
Films and broadcasts created before 1 May 1969 are protected as combination of different types of copyright material, with different periods of duration depending on the type of material and who created the work. This means that copyright in the film and broadcasts will expired separately and parts of the film or broadcast may be out of copyright, while other parts remain in copyright.

Likewise, for films and broadcasts created after 1 May 1969, copyright might expire in the film or broadcast but remain in the underlying works.

Live Performance:- There is a copyright for live performance. How this works every country has companies that collect money from various places who use and play music. In Australia it is APRA ( Australasian Performing Right Association) in the US it's BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.) or ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) the UK it is PRS (PRS for Music Limited) these companies protect its members' musical copyrights by monitoring public performances of their music, whether via a broadcast or live performance, and compensating them accordingly. If you see a show,concert or a group at the local hall they all have to pay a fee to play any music. So part of your entry fee should be given to the collection agency of that country to be passed onto the owner or publisher of all the songs. Who in turn passes the agreed amount on to the writers of the song. In our case a group does "Love Me Do" at the village hall. A list of songs played that night should have been taken by the person running the event and submitted of songs together with a small fee for each song to the collection agency. It is normally just a small amount perhaps 5 or 10 cents a song, it is probably it a lot more these days more like $1 or $2 . So if say 60 songs were played during the night. Then 60 x 5 cents = $3.00 or 60 x 10 cents = $6.00. If it's $1 = $60 or $2 = $120. This money is then sorted out and sent to the publishing companies. Who will then send the money onto in our case John Lennon & Paul McCartney less of course his % percentage. You have to consider that "Love Me Do" could be played at lest 1,000 maybe 10,000 times per day throughout the World so just at 5 cents a play 10,000 x 5 = $500 per day from this one song.
When songs are played on Radio, Television or Film or anywhere there is a fee which will probably go to one of these collection agencies.

I hope this makes sense to everybody and helps with understanding something about copyright. It is a very difficult subject with so many variations, but it seems to work most of the time if you play the game. Lots don't...

Cheers Douggie <3 Dusty <3 :note: :thumbsup:
Last edited by Douggie on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby countrycake » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:31 am

Douggie, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain all that to a civilian and persevering after the computer crash wiped your first attempt.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 am

There is another MP3 album due for release on 22 October until the title Row Row Row. It consists of the 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy in a different running order.
Attachments
Row Row Row.jpg
Row Row Row.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 7611 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby pat.dunham » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Is this yet another naughty MP3 Album- who are Black and Partners-sounds like a solicitors! Methinks another case of buyer beware!
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Douggie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:20 am

Hi All

As much as I would like to think that there are unknown recordings out there somewhere. After all this time I really don't think this is or will be the case. If you have any or should I say all Lana Sisters, Springfields or Dusty original recordings you will probably have what records there are out there. All you are really buying is the cover as fans you probably have the record already. This also goes for recordings from the Radio, Television and other illegal sources. I am sure that there will be no royalties going to those that should be getting them only to the people who have put these records on the market. I would say "Just don't buy them" If you buy them it will just encourage them to do it more.

"Just Don't Buy Them"
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby countrycake » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:28 pm

More MP3 albums.

The first is released by Academia Royal on 15 November under the title Dusty Springfields. It consists of 60 tracks by the Lana Sisters and the Springfields.

The second is issued on Green Grass Records on 15 January 2015 under the title Dusty Springfields - The Early Year. It is made up of 65 tracks by the Lana Sisters and the Springfields.
Attachments
Dusty Springfields.jpg
Dusty Springfields.jpg (18.09 KiB) Viewed 7538 times
Dusty Springfields - The Early Years.jpg
Dusty Springfields - The Early Years.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 7538 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:53 pm

A various artists compilation titled Summer 1962 was issued on 6 October in MP3 album format.

Somewhat strangely, given the title of the compilation, it includes Island Of Dreams by The Springfields, originally released on 30 November 1962, and Dusty's solo debut IOWTBWY, originally issued on 8 November 1963.

Shurely shome misshtake?
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Yet another re-packaging of the 12 tracks from The Springfields' Kinda Folksy album due for release as an MP3 album. It is released on 12 January under the title Silver Dollar. The artist is shown as Dusty Springfield.
Attachments
Silver Dollar.jpg
Silver Dollar.jpg (21.61 KiB) Viewed 7418 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Another week, another re-packaging of Kinda Folksy. The 12 tracks from this LP are recycled as an MP3 album under the title Wimoweh Mambo and credited to Dusty Springfield. It is released on 20 December.
Attachments
Wimoweh Mambo.jpg
Wimoweh Mambo.jpg (12.11 KiB) Viewed 7331 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:01 pm

Another MP3 compilation of The Springfields was released on 31 December. It again re-hashes the twelve tracks from Kinda Folksy and goes under the title The Moonlight Collection. If the artwork looks familiar, this is because it is from the same company that issued Greatest Hits on 21 July 2014. The only difference is some changes in running order.
Attachments
The Moonlight Collection.jpg
The Moonlight Collection.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:31 pm

On 3 January 2015 yet another MP3 album credited to Dusty Springfield was relased under the title Broken Colour. Its 12 tracks consist of eight from The Springfields' album Kinda Folksy plus Silver Threads and Golden Needles, Aunt Rhody, Goodnight Irene and Gotta Travel On.
Attachments
Broken Colour.jpg
Broken Colour.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:07 pm

Amazon UK is showing a CD as due for release on 16 February. It is described as being by Dusty Springfield and carries the title There's A Big Wheel. Don't get excited for it is subtitled The Early Years 1958-1962 featuring The Springfields & The Lana Sisters. No track listing is shown and the CD is being released by Hoodoo Records.

The album's subtitle would suggest that it wholly material from 1962 and earlier, which is, of course, out of copyright. However, There's A Big Wheel is not out of copyright as it was issued in 1963.

The artwork carries the words 'The Definitive Remastered Edition', a bold, if meaningless claim.
Attachments
There's A Big Wheel.jpg
There's A Big Wheel.jpg (69 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:55 pm

Although it was released on 21 December 2014, another MP3 compilation has just appeared on Amazon UK. It has the title Dancing Into The New Year and is credited to Dusty Springfield, but consists of 12 tracks by The Springfields, eight of which come from the Kinda Folksy album.

Its tracklisting is identical to Broken Colour mentioned above, albeit that the running order is different.
Attachments
Dancing Into The New Year.jpg
Dancing Into The New Year.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 7073 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:29 am

Since this is in the public domain, and it seems anyone can package this stuff, it would be nice if her estate would do that to raise money for her charities.

Too bad no one is running the show, or at least interested in protecting her legacy. All the more reason to turn it over to an organization that specializes in doing just that.

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby pat.dunham » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:47 pm

All these re-issues accredited to Dusty, fair enough as a third of the Springfields. But who owns the rights to the Springfields? Surely Tom will have interest in any Springfield works as he did write and adapt many of their songs.
I have tried to understand copyrights etc as eloquently explained by Douggie earlier on this thread but it's very complex.
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:44 pm

As Maggie says, the recordings in all these MP3 albums are out of copyright. Anything released for years up to and including 1962 is out of copyright as regards the actual recording, so that the company that owned the recording gets nothing, as does the performer. The position as to the musical works featured in the recording is different, in that its copyright remains in place until 50 years after the writer's death, so that royalties in respect of the compositions, as distinct from the recordings, should still be accruing to Tom Springfield. Whether that is actually happening is another question.

The position changed with effect from 1 November 2013, when longer time-limits came into force within the EU. Recorded works are now protected for 70 years, so Dusty's solo recordings will not come into the public domain until the end of 2033.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:17 pm

Another MP3 album sneaked out on 27 January. Rejoicing under the title The Best of Dusty Springfield, it consists of the 12 Kinda Folksy tracks. If the artwork below looks familiar, it is because the same company issued the same 12 tracks as Dusty Springfield: The Ultimate Hit Collection in July 2014 with this artwork. One can only wonder why.
Attachments
The Best of Dusty Springfield 270115.jpg
The Best of Dusty Springfield 270115.jpg (16.59 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Further to yesterday's posting, another MP3 album has belatedly come to my attention.

it is titled Dusty Springfield - The Most Wanted Hit Collection and came out on 10 August 2014. It was issued by Afire, the company responsible for the two MP3 albums mentioned yesterday, and has an identical track listing, ie the 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy.
Attachments
The Most Wanted Hit Collection.jpg
The Most Wanted Hit Collection.jpg (23.17 KiB) Viewed 6910 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:11 pm

On 6 February Music All Records are due to release an MP3 album under the title Dusty Springfields's Songs. In case anyone is wondering, I have not made a typing error in the title. It consists of 65 tracks. Fourteen are by The Lana Sisters and the rest by The Springfields.
Attachments
Dusty Springfields's Songs.jpg
Dusty Springfields's Songs.jpg (16.81 KiB) Viewed 6864 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Alexia issued a 22-track MP3 album of Tracks by The Springfields on 7 February. The somewhat convoluted title of the compilation is shown in the artwork below. Unusually, it includes a number of tracks from the Nashville sessions, which were first released in 1963.
Attachments
The Initial of Dusty Springfield.jpg
The Initial of Dusty Springfield.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Also on 7 February Alexia issued a 14-track compilation of material by The Lana Sisters.
Attachments
The Initial of Dusty Springfield - The Lana Sisters.jpg
The Initial of Dusty Springfield - The Lana Sisters.jpg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 am

It turns out that Alexia issued a third MP3 album on 7 February (see below). It consists of 23 tracks by The Springfields. Several tracks on this one were on the other Springfields' compilation mentioned in my posting of 12 February, which also has 23 tracks and not 22 as I previously stated.
Attachments
The Initial of Dusty Springfield - The Springfields - Island of Dreams.jpg
The Initial of Dusty Springfield - The Springfields - Island of Dreams.jpg (27.34 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Just appeared on Amazon UK, although it is shown as having been released on 12 January, is another mp3 album. Credited to Dusty, it is called You Don't Know Me and consists of 9 tracks by The Springfields, made up of 7 tracks from the Kinda Folksy album plus Far Away Places and Island of Dreams.
Attachments
You Don't Know Me.jpg
You Don't Know Me.jpg (11.6 KiB) Viewed 7454 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:02 pm

The latest MP3 album is Harmonious released on 27 February. Credited to Dusty, it consists of 12 tracks by The Springfields, eight from the Kinda Folksy album plus four tracks from singles.
Attachments
Harmonious.jpg
Harmonious.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby pat.dunham » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Cannot believe that quickly scanning this thread there are over 30 Albums, most of which are the same but with different running order. Amazing!
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Yes, Pat. Kinda Folksy must be well on the way to being the most reissued album ever.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Yet another MP3 compilation album of material by The Springfields. Released by Collector Series on 5 March, It's Magic consists of the 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy, albeit in a different running order.
Attachments
It's Magic.jpg
It's Magic.jpg (18.91 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Edizione Jazz issued an MP3 album on 5 February of material by The Springfields under the title Breakaway. This compilation features only three tracks from Kinda Folksy with the remaining 12 tracks made up of 'A' and 'B' sides from singles issued in 1961 and 1962. Oddly, three tracks appear twice, once in their own right and once as bonus tracks.

If you think the artwork looks familiar, you are right. The same company used it for their Silver Dollar compilation issued on 12 January 2015.
Attachments
Breakaway.jpg
Breakaway.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:39 pm

On 12 January 2015 Diamond Days issued an MP3 album under the title Down South, which it credited to The Springfields. As you have probably guessed, the 14 tracks are all by The Lana Sisters.
Attachments
Down South.jpg
Down South.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm

One I missed from last October. Black & Partners LLC issued an MP3 album on 28 October 2014 under the title Titanium Hits. The 30 tracks are a mix of material from 1961 and 1962. Three tracks appear twice and they are the same three duplicated in Breakaway mentioned above.
Attachments
Titanium Hits.jpg
Titanium Hits.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 7322 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Clive » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:40 am

Surprised these Mp3 collections keep coming Jim. I would think many Springfields fans would prefer physical CD collections.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:58 pm

It surprises me too, Clive. I post each new release merely as a matter of record.

I think that you are right too about downloads versus CDs for this fan-base. I assume anyone wanting material by The Springfields would go for the RPM double CD On An Island of Dreams.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Clive » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:39 am

It's good to keep track of releases of any kind so I'm glad you update this thread JIm.

I think there could be a market for more Springfields CDs despite the availability of their output on current CDs.

For instance their US LP Silver Threads & Golden Needles. Also Christmas With The Springfields would be nice on CD.I know they don't have enough seasonal songs for a full CD but it could be filled out with compatible tracks from their catalogue.

Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:31 pm

The only authorised CD of The Springfields currently available is the RPM issue of On An island of Dreams.

While my copy of the RPM collection proclaims on its artwork 'The Complete Philips UK Recordings', that was not the case. Leaving aside the four Christmas tracks on the EP given away with Woman's Own, which were not issued commercially by Philips, the RPM discs omit two tracks that did have a UK commercial release. Firstly, there is Star of Hope, the B-side of Bambino. Secondly, there is the re-recording of Allentown Jail made after Mike Hurst joined the group. This was first issued in 1964 in the vinyl retrospective The Springfields Story.

If you look at the RPM discs on the website of Cherry Red Records, the illustration of the artwork does not have the wording mentioned above. Perhaps, someone pointed the error out to them. The RPM discs were a straight re-issue of the 1997 compilation Over The Hills and Far Away, but Philips/Mercury did not have any such wording on their release.

Star of Hope has made two appearances on CD. The first was in 1996 on the DSB issue We Wish You A Merry Christmas, which also had six other seasonal tracks by the group plus Dusty's solo O Holy Child. If you don't have the DSB issue, it might be worth watching ebay for it.

It re-appeared in 1998 in the US on the Taragon release The Very Best of The Springfields, which also contained the later version of Allentown Jail. This CD is long since deleted. It also contained several tracks in stereo for the first time and is worth getting.

I always liked Star of Hope, particularly for its lovely, if somewhat dated, string sound. Also, the later version of Allentown Jail was the version I got to know first. I think it sounds more poignant than the earlier version.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for further authorised CD releases, given how much of The Springfields' catalogue is now in the public domain. Most of those issuing download albums of the group are doing so by crediting the albums to Dusty Springfield rather than to The Springfields. This leaves Universal or any licensee with a relatively small part of the catalogue to exploit on an exclusive basis and limits their return on any such release, which could make such such a project commercially unviable.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Clive » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:32 pm

I think you are right Jim that there are unlikely to be any more authorised releases.

I thought perhaps though that Hallmark might have future releases like they did with Kinda Folksy.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Just released today by Adonis is a download album credited to Dusty Springfield under the title Just Play. The 12 tracks are by The Springfields. Eight of the tracks are from Kinda Folksy with the other four coming from 1962 singles.
Attachments
Just Play.jpg
Just Play.jpg (21.78 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:55 am

The latest MP3 album of material recorded by The Springfields was issued on 15 April under the title 'Sun Follows Rain'. The album is credited to Dusty Springfield and consists of 12 tracks, made up of 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy plus 4 tracks from singles issued in 1962.
Attachments
Sun Follows Rain.jpg
Sun Follows Rain.jpg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 7110 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:13 pm

The latest MP3 album of material by The Springfields was issued on 21 April. Credited to Dusty Springfield, it is titled 'Easily Stop Time' and consists of 12 tracks by The Springfields, 8 from 'Kinda Folksy' and 4 from singles issued in 1962. In other words, the same as so many other compilations.

This posting re-instates one that was lost during site maintenance.
Attachments
Easily Stop Time.jpg
Easily Stop Time.jpg (25.28 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:58 pm

Two digital compilations are released by ITwinBirdz today.

The first is 'Cry Cry Baby' and is credited to DS. It consists of 3 tracks credited as 'featuring The Springfields' and 14 'featuring The Lana Singers' (sic).

The second is 'Star of Hope', which is also credited to DS. It has 16 tracks 'featuring The Springfields'. It has three tracks, which are not currently available on CD, ie 'Star of Hope' plus the German versions of 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles' and 'Island of Dreams'.
Attachments
Cry Cry Baby.jpg
Cry Cry Baby.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 6994 times
Star of Hope.jpg
Star of Hope.jpg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 6994 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:34 pm

More digital repackagings.

On 23 April Railroad released the digital album 'Good News'. Credited to DS, it consists of 16 tracks by The Springfields. The track listing seems to be identical to 'Star of Hope', mentioned in my last posting, albeit that the running order is different.

Also on 23 April Railroad released 'Ring-a My Phone. It consists of 17 tracks, 14 by The Lana Sisters and 3 by The Springfields. The track listing is identical to 'Cry Cry Baby', mentioned in my last posting, albeit with a different running order.
Attachments
Good News.jpg
Good News.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 7418 times
Ring-a My Phone.jpg
Ring-a My Phone.jpg (23.47 KiB) Viewed 7418 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Wed May 06, 2015 11:13 am

The latest MP3 album of material recorded by The Springfields is released today by REs & LEs under the title 'Days To Come'. The album is credited to DS and the Amazon UK listing has nothing to indicate that this is material by The Springfields rather than by Dusty herself. The 12 tracks are made up of 8 tracks from 'Kinda Folksy' and 4 from singles issued in 1962.
Attachments
Days To Come.jpg
Days To Come.jpg (11.76 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri May 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Another MP3 album is released today by Nisie Sound under the title 'Knowing'. Although credited to Dusty, it consists of material by The Springfields, ie 8 tracks from 'Kinda Folksy' and 4 tracks from singles issued in 1962. The latter are the same 4 tracks that have appeared in many recent compilations.
Attachments
Knowing.jpg
Knowing.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Wed May 20, 2015 8:48 pm

The latest MP3 album due for release on May 22 is a 101-track compilation by various artists. However, the artists most represented by a long chalk are The Springfields, who contribute 10 tracks. The album title is 'Folk Harmony - 101 All Time Greats. Nine of the tracks come from 1962 with one from 1961.
Attachments
Folk Harmony - 101 All Time Greats.jpg
Folk Harmony - 101 All Time Greats.jpg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 7294 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:06 pm

The latest digital compilation was issued by Bella Donna on 3 June under the title 'Acquaintance'.

The 12 tracks are made up of the usual eight from 'Kinda Folksy' plus the usual four from singles released in 1962.
Attachments
Acquaintance.jpg
Acquaintance.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 7257 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:13 pm

The latest download compilation was issued on 12 June by Tiger Tom under the title 'Adore'. It's the usual mix, ie eight tracks from 'Kinda Folksy' plus four from singles released by The Springfields in 1962.
Attachments
Adore.jpg
Adore.jpg (16.99 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:45 pm

I have just come across an MP3 album, which was released on 11 August 2014, but which I missed at the time.

It came from Rescue under the title The Springfields Midnight Special (32 Hits and Rare Songs). Unusually, it has tracks from 1963 and one first released in 1997.
Attachments
Midnight Special.jpg
Midnight Special.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Another one I missed from last year is Riding Tunes released on 21 April 2014 by Bertilio o Solemio. It consists of the 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy.
Attachments
Riding Tunes.jpg
Riding Tunes.jpg (16.58 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Another three I missed the first time round. They were all issued by Rapier Music on 27 March 2014. They all have a mix of tracks by The Springfields and The Lana Sisters.
Attachments
Dear Hearts and Gentle People.jpg
Dear Hearts and Gentle People.jpg (18.91 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Buzzin'.jpg
Buzzin'.jpg (16.47 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Goodnight Irene.jpg
Goodnight Irene.jpg (16.15 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Issued on 15 June, Pop & Vocals is a download album of The Springfields' material. It consists of 20 tracks from 1961 and 1962. Strangely, Allentown Jail appears twice on the album.
Attachments
Pop and Vocals.jpg
Pop and Vocals.jpg (15.09 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:34 pm

Issued on 9 June by Rapier Music, Breakaway is a 14-track compilation of material by The Springfields. This download album's tracks cover the years 1961 through to 1963. The bulk of the album's tracks are the 'A' and 'B' sides of UK singles from 1961 and 1962, although there two German language tracks and one track from the Nashville album from 1963.
Attachments
Breakaway-2.jpg
Breakaway-2.jpg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby DustyDanny » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for making this list countrycake. It's becoming a lot harder to find Dusty's albums on Spotify now thanks to the sheer amount of Springfield albums being churned out by these companies! [:(!]
DustyDanny
Little by little
Little by little

Postby countrycake » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:27 am

The latest Springfields compilation to appear on Amazon is Intoducing Dusty, which consists of 24 tracks. It followss what has become a well-worn format, ie 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy and 12 from singles issued in the UK during 1961 and 1962. It has been issued by Sandrew Metronome. Amazon shows an 'original' release date of 10 June 2014 and a release date of 14 July 2014. I assume the latter is when it became available on Amazon.
Attachments
Introducing Dusty.jpg
Introducing Dusty.jpg (20.89 KiB) Viewed 7027 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Released today by cup, Blue Haze is a 12-track download compilation of material by The Springfields, albeit that the album is credited to Dusty. It consists of 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and 4 from singles issued in 1962. The Amazon UK site only lists only 7 tracks, but the track numbering has gaps. I got the full details from http://www.qobuz.com/
Attachments
Bliue Haze.jpg
Bliue Haze.jpg (11.73 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Also released on 20 July was another download album of Springfields' material. Entitled Pop Elite : Best of The Springfields, it is released by Rapier Music. Amazingly, considering it is selling for £5.49, it consists of only eight tracks and does not include Island of Dreams or Say I Won't Be There. Oddly it does include two tracks from 1963, ie Little By Little and the German language version of Island Of Dreams.
Attachments
Pop Elite - Best of The Springfields.jpg
Pop Elite - Best of The Springfields.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 6979 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Two more download albums, both released by South-Atlantic on July 22.

Money Making Female Artists: Dusty Springfield Vol 1 has 15 tracks, six by the Lana Sisters and nine from The Springfields' 1962 album Kinda Folksy.

Vol 2 also has 15 tracks, seven by The Lana Sisters and eight by The Springfields. Four of the latter are the remaining tracks from Kinda Folksy plus They Took John Away, which appears on both volumes, and four are from Folk Songs from the Hills.
Attachments
Money Making Female Artists - Dusty Springfield Vol 1.jpg
Money Making Female Artists - Dusty Springfield Vol 1.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
Money Making Female Artists - Dusty Springfield Vol 2.jpg
Money Making Female Artists - Dusty Springfield Vol 2.jpg (20.42 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:53 am

Two further download albums from South-Atlantic were released on 22 July, although the have just turned up on Amazon UK today. They are Volumes 3 and 4 in the Money Making Female Artists: Dusty Springfield series.

Volume 3 has 15 tracks by The Springfields. Seven are from Folk Songs from the Hills, while the remaining eight are mainly from 1961 and 1962, although they do include the 1997 release My Baby's Gone.

Volume 4 has 19 tracks by The Springfields and is a real hotch-potch, including as it does various foreign language recordings, the four Christmas tracks from the Woman's Own EP plus Jingle Bells, the odd album track and various singles.
Attachments
Money Making Female Artists - Dusty Springfield Vol 3.jpg
Money Making Female Artists - Dusty Springfield Vol 3.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
Money Making Female Artists - Dusty Springfield Vol 4.jpg
Money Making Female Artists - Dusty Springfield Vol 4.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Douggie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:56 am

countrycake wrote:Also released on 20 July was another download album of Springfields' material. Entitled Pop Elite : Best of The Springfields, it is released by Rapier Music. Amazingly, considering it is selling for £5.49, it consists of only eight tracks and does not include Island of Dreams or Say I Won't Be There. Oddly it does include two tracks from 1963, ie Little By Little and the German language version of Island Of Dreams.

Hi Jim

I find it very hard to accept that anybody would want to buy all these rip off records after I tried to explain the ramifications to all of those that were originally involved in these records. I think the company that is releasing all this stuff has the right name also Rapier Music maybe it is Rape Her Music. The less people know of these rip off records the better for the whole music industry. They contribute nothing to the artists, writers or musicians who made these records. JUST DON'T BUY OR TELL ANYONE ABOUT THEM. They are just stealing from those who should be getting the fruits of their labor. Little by Little was released in 1965 and Rape Her Music have broken some copyright laws by releasing it now anyway. If you are a Dusty fan the chances are that you have these records anyway. You're just paying for the cover. DON'T GET THEM.

Douggie. <3 Dusty <3 :note: :thumbsup:
The Truth is Out There
Douggie
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 pm

And the last one doesn't even have Dusty on the cover, it's Katy Setterfield!
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby countrycake » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:03 pm

Two more digital compilations of material by The Springfields are issued this month. Hide Away was issued on 10th August and Leopard Lady is issued today. Both have the same 12 tracks that have been issued umpteen times.
Attachments
Hide Away.jpg
Hide Away.jpg (17.54 KiB) Viewed 6752 times
Leopard Lady.jpg
Leopard Lady.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 6752 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 am

Issued on 31 July the download album Vocal Harmonies has 24 tracks by The Springfields, all dating from 1961 and 1962.
Attachments
Vocal Harmonies.jpg
Vocal Harmonies.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:35 pm

The latest download compilation comes from K-Tel and was released on 6 August. It consists of 12 tracks, Nine are by solo Dusty, ie the A- and B-sides of her first four UK singles plus W & H. The remaining three tracks are by The Springfields, ie their US hit plus their two biggest UK hits.
Attachments
Dusty Springfield(K-Tel).jpg
Dusty Springfield(K-Tel).jpg (20.12 KiB) Viewed 7347 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:40 pm

The latest download album of material by The Springfields was issued on 2 September under the title Explore. All 12 tracks are credited to DS and are the usual mix, ie 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and four from singles issued in the UK in 1962.
Attachments
Explore.jpg
Explore.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 pm

The latest download album of material by The Springfields was issued on 2 September under the title Explore. It is the usual mix of 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and four from 1962 singles. All the tracks are credited to DS.
Attachments
Explore.jpg
Explore.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:47 pm

This isn't a download compilation of tracks by The Springfields, but is an oddity worth noting.

It is a 15-track download album issued on 16 September with the title 'Tzena, Tzena, Tzena' The Springfields' version of this song is included, as are versions by 14 other acts. I find it impossible to envisage the market this is aimed at, but as an American showman once said, 'Nobody ever went broke underestimating the public taste.'
Attachments
Tzena Tzena Tzena.jpg
Tzena Tzena Tzena.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 7240 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby IWannaBeABluesSinger » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:42 pm

It's obviously aimed at the people who want to be driven mad so they will have an excuse not to go to work on Monday [roflol]

Maggie
IWannaBeABluesSinger
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby countrycake » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Issued under the title 'The Princess of Pop' on 30 September and credited to Dusty, the twelve tracks from 'Kinda Folksy' have been packaged again as a download album by Afire. I say again, as this company issued the same tracks in the same running order on 13 June 2015 as 'Dusty Springfield - The Greatest Hits'.

The artwork for each is virtually the same.
Attachments
The Princess of Pop.jpg
The Princess of Pop.jpg (17.42 KiB) Viewed 7129 times
The Greatest Hits.jpg
The Greatest Hits.jpg (16.64 KiB) Viewed 7129 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Released today by Largo Records, 'Session To Satisfy' is the latest download album to re-package material by The Springfields from 1962. It has eight tracks from 'Kinda Folksy' and four tracks from singles. The album is credited to Dusty. Note the typo in the artwork.
Attachments
Session To Satisfy.jpg
Session To Satisfy.jpg (19.37 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:51 pm

A download compilation has just appeared on Amazon UK, despite the fact that release is not scheduled until 12 February 2016. Released by Nevada Records, about whom I cannot find any info, the title is 'Famous Hits By The Springfields'. The album has 30 tracks, all from 1961 and 1962. Five songs appear twice, the second version generally described as a bonus track. I suspect that these are either previously-released out-takes or live broadcast versions.
Attachments
Famous Hits By The Springfields.jpg
Famous Hits By The Springfields.jpg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:08 pm

After almost a month without a download album of material by The Springfields, I was beginning to think we had come to the end of such reissues.

However, a download album has been released today under the title 'Long Play'. It follows the well-trodden path of having 12 tracks, made up of 8 from the 'Kinda Folksy' album and 4 tracks from 1962 singles.
Attachments
Long Play.jpg
Long Play.jpg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 7001 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Be With Me.jpg
Be With Me.jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
Issued today by obligat music is a download album under the title Be With Me. Although credited to Dusty, all the 12 tracks are performed by The Springfields. It follows the, by now, familiar formula of having 8 tracks from the Kinda Folksy album plus 4 tracks from 1962 singles.

Incredibly, they are trying to sell it for £9.99.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Frans » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:53 pm

canards, canaux, canailles
Frans
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby countrycake » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Issued today by sinderella, Express Yourself is the latest digital repackaging of material by The Springfields. It is simply the twelve tracks from Kinda Folksy in a different running order.
Attachments
Express Yourself.jpg
Express Yourself.jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:12 pm

Three more download compilations have appeared in the last few days.

Released on 20 January, Jam Session consists of 8 tracks from Kinda Folksy and four tracks from two singles issued in 1962.

Released on 22 January, Good Old Times consists of the 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy. Also released on 22 January, All Over The World consists of the 12 tracks from Kinda Folksy too.
Attachments
Jam Session.jpg
Jam Session.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
Good Old Times.jpg
Good Old Times.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
All Over The World.jpg
All Over The World.jpg (19.33 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Three more download albums consisting of material by The Springfields.

Released on 25 January, Alone With You consists of 16 tracks, made up of 6 tracks from Folk Songs From The Hills, My Baby's Gone, 4 foreign language recordings and 5 Christmas tracks.

Released on 27 January, Cottonfields has the same 16 tracks as Alone With You in the same order.

Also released on 27 January, The Black Hills of Dakota has 16 tracks, 11 from Kinda Folksy and 5 from Folk Songs From The Hills.

All three albums seem to have been issued by the same company.
Attachments
Alone With You.jpg
Alone With You.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 6681 times
Cottonfields.jpg
Cottonfields.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 6681 times
The Black Hills of Dakota.jpg
The Black Hills of Dakota.jpg (16.12 KiB) Viewed 6681 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:38 pm

Further to immediately preceding posting, another download album was issued on 25 January under the title Wimoweh Mambo. It has the same 16 tracks as The Black Hills of Dakota album mentioned above.
Attachments
Wimoweh Mambo2.jpg
Wimoweh Mambo2.jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 6681 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Two more download albums.

Released on 5 February, 49 Hits and Songs, From the Beginning consists of 14 tracks by The Lana Sisters and 35 by The Springfields.

The other download album was released today under the title Extravagant. It has 12 tracks by The Springfields. eight from Kinda Folksy and four from 1962 singles.
Attachments
49 Hits and Songs, From the Beginning.jpg
49 Hits and Songs, From the Beginning.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 6634 times
Extravagant.jpg
Extravagant.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 6634 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:27 pm

The latest download album of material by The Springfields is Meet And Greet On Broadway. Released on 23 February, it consists of eight tracks from Kinda Folksy and four tracks from 1962 singles. The title of this compilation seems particularly inappropriate for the material, not that many of these albums have titles of any relevance to the contents.
Attachments
Meet And Greet On Broadway.jpg
Meet And Greet On Broadway.jpg (21.16 KiB) Viewed 6514 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:57 am

Two more download albums of material by The Springfields.

Amusement Park, released on 5 March, has eight tracks from Kinda Folksy and four from singles issued in 1962.

Bright and Brightly, released on 9 March, has the twelve tracks from Kinda Folksy, albeit in a different running order.

According to Amazon, both albums are issued by a company with the name 'ladies old hits - remastered'.
Attachments
Amusement Park.jpg
Amusement Park.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
Bright and Brightly.jpg
Bright and Brightly.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Released today under the title Open Stage, this download album of material by The Springfields follows the well-worn formula of having eight tracks from Kinda Folksy and four from 1962 singles.
Attachments
Open Stage.jpg
Open Stage.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Next

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music