Your hurtin' kinda love

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

Your hurtin' kinda love

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Tonight I'm having a 'Dusty evening' (highly recommended btw!)
One track I've played over and over again is 'Your hurtin' kinda love' which was Dusty's 5th UK single release, and unfortunately not a big hit for her, reaching just position 37 in the chart.
How this song failed to set the charts alight at the time I'll never know - perhaps lack of promotion didn't help?..because it's one of her finest ballad performances. If anyone asked to name a 'powerful' song performance - this would fit the bill admirably.
Your thoughts on the song ?

Brian
"Live it up"
Brian
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Re: Your hurtin' kinda love

Postby jeffery » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:25 pm

:pensive: Lots of emotion in that song. You feel her sorrow. When she sings "Your hurtin' kind of love",
she makes you feel the pain. [B)]
" The man with the child in his eyes ".... Jeffery
jeffery
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:39 pm

:shock: I can't believe no one has any more comments!!

Brian
"Live it up"
Brian
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby memphisinlondon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Hello Brian [:)]

I love this song.

I bought Dusty's greatest hits on vinyl around 1979. It was the album with the black and white cover and it was released to tie in with Dusty's 'come-back tour' which, due to the lack of ticket sales elsewhere in the country, ended up being concerts at the Albert Hall and Drury Lane only. I already knew a few Dusty numbers by then but there were quite a few tracks on this album that I hadn't heard before and 'Your Hurtin' Kinda Love' was one of them.

This track provided one of my most important Dusty moments. Dusty knocked me out. I had to listen to the song over and over. I was amazed by it. Back in those days, this was the song that I would play to my friends. I had never heard anything like it before. The raw emotion without artifice. It sounds so real. The power, the crack in her voice, and the repetition of that painful, pleading ''Come on Baby, take this hurt off of me' line at the end. She is going hoarse and almost losing her voice by the time we get to the fade out. OMGosh, what a tour de force and it's all over in around 3 minutes! It's still one of my favourites and it hasn't lost impact over the years. It will always be an amazing performance. Even now I think to myself..'Where did all that power and focus and emotion come from..?' I still don't really know and I've read all the books.

Nevertheless, I know a lot more about Dusty than I did in 1979 and I guess now I would say that I can hear Dusty abusing her voice. I can hear that she has sung many takes to get the sound that she wanted. It sounds like she's been crying her heart out for hours like the character she's playing in the song. The probable reality is that she has worked and worked through most of the night to wrench that sound out of her voice. Well, she's just about ripping that sound out. It's that sound that still makes me stop still when I listen.

Before I heard this song, I thought soul music could only be sung by African-Americans. Well, Dusty kicked that prejudice way out into the deep grass where it could never be seen again!
Memphis
Ever since we met...
memphisinlondon
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby SweMaria » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:35 pm

memphisinlondon wrote:Hello Brian [:)]

I love this song.

I bought Dusty's greatest hits on vinyl around 1979. It was the album with the black and white cover and it was released to tie in with Dusty's 'come-back tour' which, due to the lack of ticket sales elsewhere in the country, ended up being concerts at the Albert Hall and Drury Lane only. I already knew a few Dusty numbers by then but there were quite a few tracks on this album that I hadn't heard before and 'Your Hurtin' Kinda Love' was one of them.

This track provided one of my most important Dusty moments. Dusty knocked me out. I had to listen to the song over and over. I was amazed by it. Back in those days, this was the song that I would play to my friends. I had never heard anything like it before. The raw emotion without artifice. It sounds so real. The power, the crack in her voice, and the repetition of that painful, pleading ''Come on Baby, take this hurt off of me' line at the end. She is going hoarse and almost losing her voice by the time we get to the fade out. OMGosh, what a tour de force and it's all over in around 3 minutes! It's still one of my favourites and it hasn't lost impact over the years. It will always be an amazing performance. Even now I think to myself..'Where did all that power and focus and emotion come from..?' I still don't really know and I've read all the books.

Nevertheless, I know a lot more about Dusty than I did in 1979 and I guess now I would say that I can hear Dusty abusing her voice. I can hear that she has sung many takes to get the sound that she wanted. It sounds like she's been crying her heart out for hours like the character she's playing in the song. The probable reality is that she has worked and worked through most of the night to wrench that sound out of her voice. Well, she's just about ripping that sound out. It's that sound that still makes me stop still when I listen.

Before I heard this song, I thought soul music could only be sung by African-Americans. Well, Dusty kicked that prejudice way out into the deep grass where it could never be seen again!

Very interesting to read your thoughts about the song "memphisinlondon" :pensive:
I love that song - it almost knocked me out too. As you said "The raw emotion without artifice - it sounds so real" !
"I can't get you out of my heart" - Since I Fell For You
SweMaria
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby jeffery » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:01 am

! RAW EMOTION !
Yep! That's what she delivered alright. :thumbsup:
" The man with the child in his eyes ".... Jeffery
jeffery
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:05 am

this is a great record Brian and I love all that time for her voice then. I was listening to "it was easier to hurt him" with no distractions and that is such a great track and her voice is fab on it . :thumbsup:
my favourite time for Dusty. <3
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby lsparks18 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Brian--I am going to dig it out and give it another listen. I don't recall being knocked over by it, but we all know that time and relistening to Dusty songs bring out things one didin't get on earlier listenings.

Linda
lsparks18
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Cas19 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Was and is still a favourite Brian, I'm a lady of few words, but I LOVE it.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby daydreamer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Always looking forward to a new release, when I first heard Your Hurtin' Kinda Love on the radio, I wasn't happy. I thought it wasn't going to be a hit. I knew I needed to keep listening to it, but I just thought it was too grown up for the charts and back in the day, chart success was what I wanted for Dusty. It never fully grew on me then and I think I always thought of it as her "miss". But then years later, what a revelation [:o] I guess I grew up too and I heard it afresh, all the power, the hurt and the emotion, how could I have dismissed it first time around? Also, the crack in her voice that almost sounded like a mistake to my young ears, now sounded like a cry, a breakdown. I love it now, it just took it's time.
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby thc@c » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:20 pm

I must agree with Carole's comments regarding YHKL - I felt slightly disappointed when I first heard it and felt that Dusty hadn't taken as much time over the recording as she usually did, being the perfectionist she was! I really only started to appreciate the performance in later years when I first heard it in stereo - at that stage the drama and pathos really knocked me out. Now I realise it is a great dramatic and effective record whilst not perhaps being one of her greatest technical or vocal performances.

As regards other recordings that maybe didn't fare too well, I have in a file somewhere a magazine interview with Dusty where she reportedly maintained that her two pet hates were "Stay Awhile" and "In The Middle of Nowhere" - she considered that they made no lasting contribution to her career! What do fans think?

Henry
Henry
thc@c
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby trek007 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:32 pm

I love YHKOL its so full of emotion.
Maybe I was too young too to appreciate it when it first was released!!

I also think Stay Awhile contributed nothing to her career.

But I think that In The Middle Of Nowhere certainly did contribute to it, as its a great up beat song and has stood the test of time.
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Brian » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I always thought 'Stay awhile' wasn't the best choice for a single - Phillips should have gone with 'All cried out' !
'In the middle of nowhere' was spot-on as far as I'm concerned - right in the 'American' groove and a joyous slab of fun, which STILL sounds fresh.
Looking back on Dusty's early solo career nearly anything she recorded could have been a hit single at the time - the fact certain records didn't chart as high as expected was more due to 'timing' than anything else..it really wasn't wise to issue a single the same time as The Beatles or The Rolling Stones in those days!

Brian
"Live it up"
Brian
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby mnmcv1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Amazing. 3 songs mentioned, and I didn't care for any of them upon first listen.
I love them all now though, for the most part. [;)] They needed to grow on me.

"Stay Awhile" is an enjoyable little Wall-of-Sound type pop tune. Harmless fun. I used to skip it when playing greatest hits CDs, but now I listen. I'm not a big fan of Dusty's double-tracked vocal (it sounds better on "All Cried Out"), but the song has that huge tunnel sound you found on Phil Spector records, so I guess they were trying to fill everything out on it.

"Your Hurtin' Kinda Love"- it's cool to hear our "grown folks" recall their reactions when it came out. It doesn't scream "hit" to me, either. But it's one Dusty's most emotional early performances. I've gotten so used to that "crack" at the end. I wouldn't have it any other way. [:)]

for the longest time I haven't cared for "In the Middle of Nowhere"- something about it irks me. But I have to say, since I heard the different mix found on Classics and Collectibles, it's gotten better. On the stereo mix I was previously used to, the background vocals were mixed so loudly it was near-painful on my ears when they'd come in (that first "Hey-Hey-HEY!!!!!!). In a mix where the vocals are better blended, I enjoy it MUCH more...damn near love it now... [;)]
-markus

Everyday of my life, is fresh as morning dew...
mnmcv1

Postby paula » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:36 pm

From the first time I heard this song...much later than most of you I think ..I could hear right away the emotion and the intensity in which she sang it. There are many songs that Dusty's vocals appear to be laid back and a bit back in the mix and this is one of the qualities I love about her but there are a few that she really belts out and works really hard at and oozes emotion and intensity and this is one of those great songs. thanks Dusty :love:
paula x
paula x
paula

Postby dazza2722 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:22 am

Sorry, bit late on this Brian, Just discovered this topic, Your Hurting Kind Of Love should have have been a much bigger hit. :love:

In one of the biographies Dusty said that she wasn't happy that the recording was rushed, and they should have taken more time with it and not released it when less than perfect.

As has been previously said, this is the one song where Dusty lets completely rip with her vocal, and when she snarls ''I'm So Glad To See You Go'' you really believe that she's talking about a REAL person.

Amazing song. [bow]
dazza2722

Postby countrycake » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:38 am

While Your Hurtin' Kinda Love was strong on emotion, it was weak on melody, which is why it almost sank without trace.

Ivor Raymonde, who co-wrote the song and was at that time musical director on Dusty's recordings, ceased to be a freelance and became a Decca staff producer in the spring of 1966. In 1967 he arranged and produced a new version of the song by Linda Clarke for Decca. The record was issued in December 1967, but made no impact on the charts. In fact, I only became aware of its existence last year. Why Raymonde thought it would be more successful than Dusty's version, heaven only knows.

Here is a link to the Linda Clarke disc:

http://www.45cat.com/record/f12709

Jim
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:27 am

Love LOVE LOVE this song. One of Dusty's greatest vocals EVER. A travesty that it was only a modest charter.
"This rusty dusty heart of mine
How you've made it shine..."

"When in doubt, turn the echo nob up!"
"So you're the little lady who makes all the music..."
Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Linda Clarke's 1967 version of Your Hurtin' Kinda Love has surfaced on You Tube within the last few days. It was produced and arranged by Ivor Raymonde. Maybe this is how he thought it should have sounded - a bit less dramatic and a bit more melodic.

Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby krupert » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:58 am

I first heard this song on ANTHOLOGY (disc 1) ... Pure POWER & EMOTION !! Fantastic !!! [:)] Hi All ! ..I haven't been here in a while . ...Nice to visit my LTD family.. [:)] Be Back More Often. !
NOBODY can take My Music from me....
krupert
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby humboldt » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 pm

It's nice but lacks the punch of Dusty's.
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music