"What Good Is I Love You" US Version vs. UK Version

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

"What Good Is I Love You" US Version vs. UK Version

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:00 am

Does anyone know if the US version of "What Good Is I Love You" with the original drummer has ever been issued on CD? From what I could gather in the Dusty Bible, it appears the US version was only issued in mono on the vinyl single and that other released versions were of the UK version featuring the substituted drummer. I am curious to hear it and compare the two to see what had co-writer/co-producer Mike Rashkow so resentful of Dusty's drum line change!
"This rusty dusty heart of mine
How you've made it shine..."

"When in doubt, turn the echo nob up!"
"So you're the little lady who makes all the music..."
Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: "What Good Is I Love You" US Version vs. UK Version

Postby mnmcv1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 am

good question, Joe. Just to make sure I've got them straight, is the mix that appears on the US Anthology the same mix that was on See All Her Faces, or is it the US single mix? Beyond that I can't think of anywhere else it may have appeared.

I remember reading Rashkow's comments in Paul's book...jeeesh! :roll:
On the one hand i can understand where he's coming from- this wasn't even meant for Dusty, it was meant for Ellie to release, and the mix they handed over was supposed to be the final version. I'm sure there was personal investment and pride in the work they did.

ON THE OTHER HAND...who's to say Dusty was aware of any of that? She received the record, and since it was HER name on it, she probably went ahead and did what she had done with countless other recordings, tweaked them to her relative satisfaction. Was Rashkow's main issue that he didnt like the drummer, or that he was under the impression the singer would dutifully add her vocals regardless of how she felt about the final product, with no questions asked? If that were the case, it seems an interesting contradiction, as he was working with a female artist who also flexed her creative muscles. Either way, his reaction, all of those years later, was a bit much. [:(!] Oh well.
-markus

Everyday of my life, is fresh as morning dew...
mnmcv1

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Good question, Markus. I don't have the US Anthology so I am unsure which version features there :(

Also, you make a very good argument for Dusty's side of the Rashkow hullabaloo!

Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:30 pm

I have been playing various versions of this track through headphones to see whether I could identify different drum tracks being used on US and UK releases. I first compared the 1997 US Anthology version with the version on the UK CD See All Her Faces issued in 2002. Both are in stereo and the drum part seems identical on both. I then went to the first CD release of the track in the US, which was on the Rhino release A Brand New Me from 1992. Again, this was in stereo, but, again I could not discern any difference in the drum track.

The reason I mention both those US releases are in stereo is that the Bible states: 'Only the mono master has been issued in the States, for the Atlantic single.' (September 2010 edition)

Maybe my ears are just not good enough!

Jim
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Jim, we are on the same page - I thought the Rhino 1992 A Brand New Me CD would contain the US mono version of "What Good Is I Love You" (as it apparently contained the mono version of "I'll Be Faithful") but alas, I cannot discern it from the other mixes!

I wonder if the mono master to "What Good Is I Love You" perished in the great Atlantic vault fire of 1978, or if they still have the stereo and mono masters of it but haven't made plans to release them?

Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby smallworld » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 am

Here's the single mix in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksEd7Z-zFPQ

This rare US mono single mix differs from the more common stereo UK mix in that it has an entirely different drum track. The backing tracks were produced by songwriters Ellie Greenwich and Mike Rashcow in New York and a copy of the tape was sent to London for Springfield to record her vocal. When the tape with Dusty's vocal part was returned, it was discovered that her producers replaced the original drum track (believed to be performed by Bernhard Purdie) with a more subdued drum part played by an unknown session drummer. The decision was made to use the original drum part which then had to be meticulously dubbed from the original tape onto the copy with Springfield's vocal. Rashcow recounts, "If you listen closely to the record, particularly near the end, there’s a slight out of time feeling – kind of sloppy. My guess is that we just used both tapes, got the reels weighted as close as possible, put a VFO on one machine to fine tune them to the same speed and may have even done it with a couple of ‘punch-ins’ at open spots to keep them synced together, and then just ran our drum track back in. Another studio nightmare and some degradation to the quality." This version of the song only ever appeared on the 1971 US Atlantic single.
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Marco » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:26 pm

After one listen, I'm wondering if Dusty's usually faultless good taste let her down a bit here. The US single version has an energy the other version seems to lack. Only one listen though - I may yet change my mind!
Marco
I start counting

Postby smallworld » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Marco wrote:After one listen, I'm wondering if Dusty's usually faultless good taste let her down a bit here. The US single version has an energy the other version seems to lack. Only one listen though - I may yet change my mind!

I agree. It's strange - I would have thought Dusty would like the more impactful drums of the original. Come to think of it, I wonder if the version Dusty had mixed for the US single is much different to the stereo mix, which I believe first turned up on "See All Her Faces". The Dusty produced mix that was sent to the US would have been mono - perhaps the drums were more upfront.

It would be nice if they could go back and do a mix with Bernard Purdie's drums in place of the British drummer's.
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music