The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

Re: The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Postby daydreamer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:06 pm

I thought it may have been a Harry Langdon shot as he took this black and white one which has done the rounds on the internet and is in Paul's book along with another similar one but Dusty's hair is different and she has a mic in her hand, so I guess it could be a performance one from around the same time.

harry langdon boots.jpg
There's a part of you, that's a part of me...

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby pat.dunham » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for that Carole, yes of course, being in colour I didn't tie up the two. Dusty must have worn it on a show as she appears to be taking a bow and has a mic in her right hand.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby jennifer49 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Thankyou Carole, yes I know now.

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby snoop1974 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:43 pm

I sent them an email

I'm blown away by the sound of “A Brand New Me” (plus Come For A Dream and Faithful). Any plans to release Cameo, Longing, It Begins Again, Living Without Your Love and White Heat? And also back to the start with A Girl Called Dusty, Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty, Where Am I Going? and Dusty… Definitely

they answered

There will be more Dusty…promise! [bow]
snoop1974
I start counting

Postby SeeAllHerFaces » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

:)
SeeAllHerFaces
I start counting

Postby daydreamer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Bad watermark but here's Dusty on the Dick Cavett Show in 1970 wearing that outfit.

Dick+Cavett+Show-64.jpg

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby Cas19 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 am

I think I prefer the outfit in black and white.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Clive » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:13 am

daydreamer wrote:I've spoken with Paul Howes and re Sweet Charlie, it is actually a different song. Although logs have always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe. After all, what would be the chances of two Philly songs having almost identical titles, especially with the words 'Sweet Charlie'. So now we can look forward to a total surprise :) Also he confirmed that Something For Nothing will have strings! [:)]

Carole did Paul say how Sweet Charlie was discovered after so long?
(Would love if Paul would join us here too if you're in contact with him)
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby pat.dunham » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks, Carole, for more details on Dusty's outfit. It is a shame that the interview was not kept on Cavett's archives site. There are so many interviews of great artists right back to '68. Just for info gentleman in photo is Otto Premminger, film director.

PS. Presume Dusty was promoting original "A Brand New Me", which was released 30Jan70 and this interview was 13Feb70.
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby edjames » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:40 am

Thanks for the pic of the Dick Cavett Show Carole! Such wonderful memories. My pal and co-fan club member, Linda Breckenridge and I went to the theater that afternoon on the night it was taped. We were unable to attend the show but waited outside the stage door for Dusty to leave. I wish I could remember what we discussed, but Dusty, as usual, was gracious and kind and we spoke for several minutes. We were rudely interrupted by her limo driver, who insisted she leave. The guy was downright rude! That said, in regards to the outfit, Dusty wore it on several TV appearances. One other would be The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson.
edjames
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby daydreamer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 am

Clive wrote:
daydreamer wrote:I've spoken with Paul Howes and re Sweet Charlie, it is actually a different song. Although logs have always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe. After all, what would be the chances of two Philly songs having almost identical titles, especially with the words 'Sweet Charlie'. So now we can look forward to a total surprise :) Also he confirmed that Something For Nothing will have strings! [:)]

Carole did Paul say how Sweet Charlie was discovered after so long?
(Would love if Paul would join us here too if you're in contact with him)

Hi Clive, sorry for delay, I've been away on holiday. I think all Paul told me was that although logs had always shown Sweet Charlie, without the tape to refer to it was assumed to be Sweet Charlie Babe.

Carole x
daydreamer

Postby smallworld » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Some of the comments on the sound of this release gave me pause but I ordered the CD nevertheless.

Strings, where present, tend to have been brought way up in the mix and they sound awfully shrill - the flutes in "Bad Case of the Blues" suffer the same fate. The horns at the beginning of "Lost"... well, it was the right decision to leave them off the original mix. They sound off. I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to a more balanced sound mix. I never dreamed that I'd be so let down by the mixing and mastering. I enjoyed Real Gone's release of "Faithfull" - I'd even describe the mastering as smoother than that found on the 1999 Rhino "Dusty In Memphis", where many of the Jeff Barry tracks made their first appearance... What went wrong here?

I tried to give the remix a chance. I even listened to it with several sets of headphones - some of which have the highs rolled off more than others - no joy. I don't consider myself an audiophile. And I don't generally complain about brightness. I grew up in the CD/Digital era, so my frame of reference has little to do with expectations based on original vinyl sound.
Last edited by smallworld on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Marco » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 pm

I have to concur. Dusty sounds good - but no better than on the FDWL reissue - but the rest of it not so much. She and Gamble & Huff knew what they were doing...
Marco
I start counting

Previous

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music