The Springfields again!

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

Re: The Springfields again!

Postby Clive » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Yes you would certainly wonder. Judging by the download track listings which singles tracks are they likely to include on the LP Jim?
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:45 am

All the singles issued by The Springfields, with the exception of If I Was Down And Out/Maracabamba, are now out of copyright, so the album's compilers would be able to include all the singles from Dear John to Come On Home without a licence from Universal.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks Jim, it will be interesting then to see which ones they use. Not that I will be buying it, I can't see myself ever getting back into vinyl.

I would think that most Springfields fans would now prefer CDs, certainly in preference to downloads.
There have been so many download compilations that have been recorded on this thread and with such strange titles it is bewildering and I would guess some of them haven't had a single sale .
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:14 pm

When I think back to the 60s and 70s, when I was buying vinyl, my main memory is of the number of faulty LPs I bought that had to be returned to the retailer. I think it is great to buy CDs which have a 99.99% chance of being flawless. I am sure that vinyl quality control has been greatly enhanced since then, particularly since it is now the chosen medium of audiophiles. That said, I have no desire to go back to vinyl.

On the other point you make about the proliferation of download compilations, there have been just over 200 download compilations of Springfields' material since I started logging them in July 2014. That averages out at around 80 per annum. As to what you say about the likelihood of some of these compilations having had no sales, we will never know. However, someone must be buying some of them; otherwise the releases would have dried up by now.

The great majority of these releases are credited to DS rather than to The Springfields and their artwork features Dusty rather than the group. It makes me wonder whether a significant proportion are bought in error.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Silver Dollar is a 22-track download album released yesterday. It has 10 tracks from Kinda Folksy, 11 from Folk Songs From The Hills and My Baby's Gone, an out-take from the Nashville sessions, first released in 1997.
Attachments
Silver Dollar2.jpg
Silver Dollar2.jpg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Clive » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm kind of surprised there haven't been more Springfields CD releases (as opposed to downloads) in the years since their recordings entered public domain.
I can think of at least three that I would buy if they had their original artwork

Folk Songs From The Hills (original LP )
Silver Threads and Golden Needles (the US LP)
Christmas with The Springfields (I know this was only an EP but I can think of enough compatible tracks they could add to make a 12 track CD)
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Clive, someone is selling one of the LPs on ebay at present:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Springfields-Folk-songs-from-the-hills-L-p-Philips-632304BL-/122370085145?hash=item1c7dd35119:g:35IAAOSwgmJXzvPh

Haven't seen the US LP around recently.

As for a CD of the Christmas material, I wouldn't hold your breath. If you don't already have it, the DSB CD is your best bet.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Clive » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:49 pm

thanks Jim, I was meaning CD re-issues of those LPs.

I know I have all the tracks already, just something about having the original albums on individual CDs appeals.

I do have the bulletin Christmas CD but I kind of like the EP cover , would be nice on a CD front cover.

So many artists have Christmas albums I always think it is a shame the Springfields are not there on the CD racks in shops at Christmas.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Due for release on 21 March, We Do It Again is a download album consisting of eleven of the tracks from Kinda Folksy. The track omitted is Eso Es El Amor.
Attachments
We Do It Again.jpg
We Do It Again.jpg (22.27 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:07 am

Released today, Fresh As Dew consists of eight tracks from Kinda Folksy and four from 1962 singles.

Due for release on 4 April, Collection of Rare Recordings, Vol 9 is a 22-track various artists download album with eight of the tracks being by The Springfields. The bulk of these eight tracks come from the Nashville sessions and a couple from the 1962 Christmas EP.
Attachments
Fresh As Dew.jpg
Fresh As Dew.jpg (70.86 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Collection of Rare Recordings, Vol 9.jpg
Collection of Rare Recordings, Vol 9.jpg (60.86 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Clive wrote:I see some of the international Amazon sites are showing an upcoming (August) vinyl LP issue
Kinda Folksy/Singles a/B Sides

No artwork shown but presumably will use the original album cover.

All I have been able to find out about this release is that is being issued by a company in The Netherlands by the name of Vinyl Passion (not to be confused with UK company of same name which makes turntables).
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Released today is the latest repackaging of the 12 tracks of the Kinda Folksy album. The download album has the title My Favourite Playlist and has a different running order from the original LP.
Attachments
My Favourite Playlist.jpg
My Favourite Playlist.jpg (35.31 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Released today is the latest download album of material by The Springfields under the title Lets Have A Drink. Its twelve tracks are made up of - yes, you have guessed it - eight tracks from Kinda Folksy and four from singles released in 1962.
Attachments
Lets Have A Drink.jpg
Lets Have A Drink.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Released on 10 April, The Springfields Sing Again is a straight re-issue of the Kinda Folksy album as a download with all twelve tracks in the original running order. The very first re-issue of Kinda Folksy was in 1966, when Philips released it on their budget label Wing, Coincidentally, that had the title The Springfields Sing Again.
Attachments
The Springfields Sing Again.jpg
The Springfields Sing Again.jpg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Due for release on 11 May Lonesome Travellers is a download album consisting of eleven of the tracks from the Kinda Folksy album - the track omitted is Eso Es El Amor.
Attachments
Lonesome Travellers.jpg
Lonesome Travellers.jpg (88.23 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu May 04, 2017 9:54 am

Two download albums are scheduled for release on June 18.

Chimes of Arcady has 33 tracks, 14 by The Lana Sisters and 19 by The Springfields.

Silver Dollar has 32 tracks, all by The Springfields. A different compilation was issued under this title on 22 February.

Both albums use the same artwork with an odd spelling of Dusty.
Attachments
Silver Dollar 3.jpg
Silver Dollar 3.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Available from 8 June, Seven Little Girls, Sitting in The Backseat is a 17-track download album. It has 14 tracks by The Lana Sisters and three by The Springfields.
Attachments
Seven Little Girls.jpg
Seven Little Girls.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Two more download albums of material by The Springfields are due for release by Blackdog on 23 June. Both have 16 tracks.

The Green Leaves of Summer has 8 tracks from Folk Songs From The Hills, 6 from Kinda Folksy, a Nashville outtake and the French language version of Breakaway.

Lonesome Traveller has 5 tracks from Kinda Folksy, 5 Christmas songs, 3 tracks from Folk Songs From The Hills and 3 foreign language recordings.
Attachments
The Green Leaves of Summer.jpg
The Green Leaves of Summer.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Lonesome Traveller.jpg
Lonesome Traveller.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Released on 18 June, Mysterious Stories is a download album consisting of eight tracks from Kinda Folksy and four tracks from 1962 singles. So no surprises there, then. Ghastly artwork, though.
Attachments
Mysterious Stories.jpg
Mysterious Stories.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby countrycake » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Due for release tomorrow, Goodnight Irene is a 16-track download compilation. It consists mainly of tracks issued on singles, including rarer B-sides, together with a couple of German language tracks and a couple of album tracks.
Attachments
Goodnight Irene2.jpg
Goodnight Irene2.jpg (74.56 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

PreviousNext

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music