Dusty's US albums

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

Dusty's US albums

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Some years ago we had threads discussing all of Dusty's studio albums.

I don't think we included her early US releases, for the reason that they were not albums as originally conceived by Dusty bur rather were put together by her US label.

While this is true maybe it would be interesting to re-evaluate them as they were the albums that
Dusty's North American fans grew up with at the time and may hold special memories for them.

I think Philips in the US not unusually wanted to include the hit singles on Dusty's first album so I understand them wanting a revised track list to accommodate this.
After all for a debut solo album they wanted to maximise sales and impact.

From what I understand ,American Philips had just 18 tracks available to them when compiling the first album.
Those being the 12 tracks on the UK album A Girl Called Dusty, the 4 singles tracks
I Only Want To Be With You/Once Upon A Time :Stay Awhile /Something Special, plus two UK EP tracks Every Day I Have To Cry and He's Got Something.

The most straightforward thing would have been to include the 2 hit A sides and just drop two of the less commercial tracks from AGCD.
They made two other changes though, dropping 4 AGCD tracks (Nothing/Don't You Know/Do Re Mi and My Colouring Book) and adding the 2 hits plus Every Day I Have To Cry and Something Special.

I my opinion they made the best choices they could with the tracks they dropped with the exception of My Colouring Book- a surprising omission.
Every Day I Have to Cry I think was a strong choice to include but Something Special was surprising. It's a nice track and written by Dusty, but to my ears it's best as a B side and My Colouring Book should have stayed.

Below is the track list , released under the very unwieldy album title Stay Awhile- I Only Want To Be With You

Side One
I Only Want To Be With You
Stay Awhile
24 Hours From Tulsa
Mama Said
Anyone Who Had A Heart
When The Lovelight Starts Shining Thru His Eyes

Side Two
Wishin' And Hopin'
Mockingbird
Will You Love Me Tomorrow
You Don't Own Me
Something Special
Everyday I Have To Cry

Would be interested in what anyone thinks, did the label choose the right track list?
Anything you would have changed? A better album title? Different cover?
Any special memories of the album? Favorite tracks?
If there's interest we could go on and cover the other US only albums that followed this one.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Re: Dusty's US albums

Postby countrycake » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Since the tracks from AGCD were used in three of the albums issued by US Philips, I find it hard to discuss SA-IOWTBWY in isolation from the two others, Dusty and Oooooweeeee!.

Dusty's switch in late 1968 to Atlantic for US releases had two main reasons, namely a lack of promotion by the US label and the way they treated her albums. I think that the suits in New York saw her quite differently from those in London. To New York she was just another young blonde girl singer, whom they thought that they could manipulate to their way of thinking during her short-lived success. London saw her as more of a longer term project.

It is interesting that of the four AGCD tracks omitted from SA-IOWTBWY, three are in the gospel/blues field and the fourth, My Colouring Book, would normally be performed by a more mature singer, ie not someone who would normally be marketed to the youngsters who buy the bulk of chart records. That being so, there is a sort of business logic in what US Philips did in substituting the two hits plus Everyday I Have To Cry and Something Special, albeit that the latter was too lightweight for album material.

I have a copy of the 1964 LP. The cardboard is thick and coarse and the colours quite garish, so the whole presentation looks cheap and nasty.

The second US album, Dusty, had the four AGCD tracks omitted from the first album. The remaining eight tracks were made up of tracks from UK EPs and US and UK singles. Three of the tracks recorded in New York in September 1964 were included among these.

The third US album, Oooooweeeee!, had two tracks from AGCD. In their desperation to market a third album, New York included two of the tracks that had appeared on their first album, namely You Don't Own Me and When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes. The remaining five tracks from the NY sessions were included as were various tracks from UK singles and EPs.

The sleeve designs were better than for the first album, but were made from the same thick coarse cardboard as the first, which rather detracted from the overall effect.

There is one quirk worth mentioning. I'll Love For A While was not released in the UK until September 1965, as the 'B' side of Some Of Your Lovin', although recorded in January of that year. However, it appeared in the US on the third US album in March 1965. Was there a frantic call from NY to London asking for any unreleased material to make up a third US album?
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Clive » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks Jim

Yes I agree Philips in US probably did think success might be short lived.Your rationale for them leaving My Colouring Book off the album makes sense now , the 4 least 'pop' tracks were cut.

Track for track I think the US LP is stronger than AGCD but I would have kept the AGCD title and cover for US release.

For the second LP Dusty,I wish they had included all the 8 New York tracks, would have made it more cohesive.

It was terrible value for fans to duplicate the two old tracks on Ooooweee. A better option would have been to have maybe 2 of the Italian or French tracks if they were available. I guess O Holy Child was out of the question, one for its seasonal/religious theme and also maybe royalties were a problem as it was a charity release in the UK

Lovely photo on Ooooweee LP cover though.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby edjames » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

It might be noted that Phillips was a Chicago-based record company and NY was a regional office. The NY office had a stronger tie with the classical arm of the company.

It was exasperating to fans, and especially Dusty, to try to figure out some of the rationale for the decisions her US record company made. Dusty and I had a long conversation on winter's evening at her NY hotel about this topic.

Philips released records without any thoughts or considerations to her availability to promote them here in the states and almost never did any publicity for her releases. Ads in trade publications of magazines were almost non-extistant. Another let peeve was the use of out-dated photos and cover designs.

ED
edjames
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby countrycake » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Of course, Philips was based in Chicago. How could I have forgotten an address like East Wacker Drive?
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Clive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:46 pm

edjames wrote:
It was exasperating to fans, and especially Dusty, to try to figure out some of the rationale for the decisions her US record company made. Dusty and I had a long conversation on winter's evening at her NY hotel about this topic.

Philips released records without any thoughts or considerations to her availability to promote them here in the states and almost never did any publicity for her releases. Ads in trade publications of magazines were almost non-extistant. Another let peeve was the use of out-dated photos and cover designs.

ED

such a shame this situation prevailed for so long Ed. Was there a very noticeable improvement in promotion once Dusty signed to Atlantic?
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby smallworld » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 pm

I believe the situation with royalties is/was a little more complicated in the US than in the UK - that's partly why US albums regularly had fewer tracks than their US counterparts in the LP age.

I remember reading an article with Jerry Ross, who co-wrote a could-have-been Dusty hit, "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me". Prior to the biggest hit version, via the Supremes & the Temptations, Berry Gordy rang him to negotiate the royalty rate on the song. As most know, the song had already been a hit twice over, so the Supremes/Tempts recording wasn't the song's debut outing. The takeaway is that all songs were not equal when it came to royalty rates, even cover material.

So, perhaps "Somethin' Special", a non-hit B-side, had a lower royalty rate than the relatively recent hit "My Colouring Book", hence its inclusion on the album. I'm not suggesting that all recent hit material would have had prohibitive royalty rates (the album could have been titled "Ready Steady Go Dusty!", it was so full of recent hit material) but that Philips in the US decided to save a few bucks with the inclusion of "Somethin' Special".

I find it hard to judge "Stay Awhile - I Only Want to Be With You" as an album in its own right. I've become used to the British phenomenon of the time, where albums and singles were separate entities, existing in parallel until the inevitable greatest hits album. I think that "Nothing" and "Don't You Know" are the least successful tracks on "A Girl Called Dusty", and so it was right to drop them in lieu of others. I like "raver" Dusty but she seems to be pushing her voice too far on those two tracks. I think "Packin' Up" and "I Had a Talk with My Man", which occupy similar "Bluses/Gospel" space on the second UK album, are much more successful examples of Dusty "testifyin'". Her performances are equally spirited but much more "in the pocket".

I also agree that "My Colouring Book" should have been retained. If not "My Colouring Book", I'd have chosen "He's Got Something" rather than "Somethin' Special".

I'll be interested to hear comments on the New York tracks. Some of them are surprisingly square in arrangement/production - they illustrate how Dusty's own production work was more in tune with the times.
Last edited by smallworld on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Clive » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Interesting Jay, I hadn't thought of a royalty aspect.
Incidentally that would make sense for Philips in US later choosing La Bamba as the B side of I Close My Eyes and Count To Ten. I thought it was strange that they used a 3 year old album track as a b-side. Could have been that it was a 'traditional' composition out of publishing copyright.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby countrycake » Sun May 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Two of Dusty's US albums from early in her career are scheduled for vinyl reissue in the States on 18 August by the Premium Cool label. They are Stay Awhile - I Only Want To Be With You and Ooooooweeee!. Amazon US is charging $28.34 for each and the entries there indicate both LPs are in mono. No track listings are shown.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_date-desc-rank?keywords=dusty+springfield&fst=p90x%3A1&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Adusty+springfield&qid=1494765226&sort=date-desc-rank
Attachments
Stay Awhile - I Only Want....jpg
Stay Awhile - I Only Want....jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Ooooooweeee!.jpg
Ooooooweeee!.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music