The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Dusty's Recordings and Performances.

Re: The Complete Philadelphia Sessions - A Brand New Me

Postby smallworld » Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Remixed from the multi-tracks? That's exciting to hear. People talk about the big Atlantic fire that destroyed many multi tracks - perhaps the multis from the Philadelphia sessions were stored in Philadelphia. Was the album recorded on 16-track? I hope they give the remixes a big centre (e.g. centre the drums rather than panning them mostly to one channel), akin to the Jeff Barry sessions.

It's wonderful that a lost track ("Sweet Charlie") has been found - that will probably be the biggest selling point of this set for fans.

I wish that Real Gone had found a place for "What Good Is I Love You" on one of their Dusty sets. I'd love to hear both the original mix with Bernard Purdie on drums, and perhaps a remix to centre the drums - I've always thought the track fits well with the Jeff Barry sessions except for the panning of the drums to mostly one channel.

I meant to post this to the Dusty US Abums thread but it seems pertinent here as well. Are some of the Dusty's Philips multitracks actually somewhere in the US? I wonder that because I believe there are some mix differences on the US albums - more pronounced echo etc. - and perhaps the multis were sent over to enable US mixes to be made. That might explain why Philips (UK) apparently used vinyl dubs for their 1990 Dusty CD releases. It would be great to track down the original masters and multis and put out deluxe editions of Dusty's first four albums - the original mono mixes, and perhaps a combination of original stereo mixes and stereo remixes. Real Gone should look into it.
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Duster » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:55 pm

smallworld wrote:I hope they give the remixes a big centre (e.g. centre the drums rather than panning them mostly to one channel), akin to the Jeff Barry sessions.

I too noticed a considerable amount of "hard-panning" when I listened to my copy a few weeks ago. Not as bad as some stuff from the '50s-'60s, but still... I bet that's what they found "not quite up to snuff."

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the revised running order. The original was just fine.
-Mike
Duster
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 pm

ImageClick to read Paste magazine's review of the complete Philly sessions: includes a teaser about Sweet Charlie.https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... hil-1.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Corinna » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:51 pm

What a great read, thanks for posting, Richard! I'm so curious to hear Sweet Charlie! Not long now!
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby countrycake » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:37 am

Overnight Amazon UK has increased the price of this item from £19.28 to £25.37.
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Graham2010 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:19 am

Typical Amazon email says release delayed until August!...............are they pulling a fat one to sell later at higher price?
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Corinna » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:08 pm

I've received my copy! Ordered it directly from Real Gone: https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products ... essions-cd at $12.98 (I'm in the U.S. right now, so I guess the price is converted automatically).

Sweet Charlie is a lovely little song, not a hit by any means, but a beautiful little jewel. Having been lost for so long makes listening to it even more precious. It's a song that fits the style of the whole album perfectly, so if you haven't heard it, you have something to look forward to.
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smallworld » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Corinna wrote:I've received my copy! Ordered it directly from Real Gone: https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products ... essions-cd at $12.98 (I'm in the U.S. right now, so I guess the price is converted automatically).

Sweet Charlie is a lovely little song, not a hit by any means, but a beautiful little jewel. Having been lost for so long makes listening to it even more precious. It's a song that fits the style of the whole album perfectly, so if you haven't heard it, you have something to look forward to.

Glad to hear Sweet Charlie is not a dud. Did any of the remixing of the previously released tracks jump out at you upon listening or is it subtle? Have they centred the drums or are they still mainly in one channel?
smallworld
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Corinna » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 am

I only ever listen on my computer, so you're asking the wrong person! :oops: [ear]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frans » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Got my copy. Nearly every song has a noticeable longer fadeout:

Knipsel4.JPG
canaux, canards, canaille
Frans
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Cas19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 am

I've had my copy a few days now and I think its just amazing to hear the longer fade outs. I think the whole cd stands out, the tracks are so clear. It makes me wonder if there could be more to come in the way of funny out takes from the same sessions? How wonderful that would be.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby Dustymike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 am

I still wait for the "throat clearing" on the "Let's Get Together" track.How sad is that??
There's a part of you that's a part of me and
no matter where I go it comes along
Dustymike
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby jennifer49 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Not sad at all Mike, I love listening to her footsteps on Soft Core from her White Heat Album

Jennifer
jennifer49
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby countrycake » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Today Amazon UK is charging £57.01 for this CD!
Jim
countrycake
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Graham2010 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:41 am

Amazon are crafty..................I ordered my copy ages ago.

I was informed delayed until August
Then it was available but my card had been declined (funny as I purchased other items recently) so put in another card and BINGO.............and CD arrived yesterday.............maybe they hoped I would cancel and have to re order at the higher price.

Love the longer fade outs and the remix with certain instruments more to the fore.

Charlie is an OK song but all tracks 12 to 17 are complicated songs musically and Dusty , of course, meets the challenge superbly...Imagine Cilla trying these!

A must have for all us fans.
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Graham2010 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 am

Just wanted to add...Something for Nothing chorus is annoying cannot get it out of my head...............be great to be sampled on a rap track
Graham2010
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Marco » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:06 am

Ordered mine from here a few days ago

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/the-complete-phi ... 8064006077

I've used them before - things can take a little while to arrive but I've never had a problem with them and they are much cheaper than Amazon UK for these kind of US releases.
Marco
I start counting

Postby pat.dunham » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Sadly "wowhd" out of stock. Great price £13.90. Wonder what price it will be when re-stocked , if ever ?
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be.......
..I'm goin' back.

Pat x
pat.dunham
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Marco » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi Pat

It was backordered when I ordered it too. Then it came in and they obviously sold the few they had at that point (including the one that's on it's way to me). I don't think they hold lots of stock - and Amazon have also been out of stock a couple of times since the release - as has even Real Gone's own site.

They don't charge you till it's despatched so you've nothing to lose by ordering it now at that price - it just might take a bit longer than ordering from Amazon. Anyhoo, just thought a few might find it helpful. Amazon is getting more and more expensive for less popular items now that they've seen off so much of the competition that it's always worth shopping around the other sellers that are still hanging in there.
Marco
I start counting

Postby Marco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:44 am

Apols - I think they do charge you when you order but I always use Paypal so if there are any problems (I've never had any) you can always recover the money. They take about 2-3 weeks from despatch to delivery (I presume they use surface mail to keep costs down). I've got several of the Real Gone issues (including the Dusty ones) and always several quid cheaper than Amazon.
Marco
I start counting

PreviousNext

Return to You Set My Dreams To Music