Remastering Dusty domestic recordings

Order your Dusty Live CDs here. All proceeds to our Dusty charities.

Remastering Dusty domestic recordings

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 pm

I believe I posted this question some time ago but I thought to revisit the subject.

It is to my understanding that the source of many tracks in the Beehive Productions CD collection (specifically the live performances) were fan-made domestic audio recordings dubbed with a microphone aimed at the television speaker. In light of the infamous archiving mishaps and wiping at the various television stations, these domestic audio recordings are the only known surviving footage for quite a number of performances and as such ought to be rightly mastered for posterity.

Sound technology advances over time, and I wonder if the reel-to-reel recordings could somehow be remastered and reissued for the fans to enjoy. Certainly this would require time and expense and would be a niche project or labour of love for the most devoted fans, and the resulting quality would remain inferior to extracting the audio from studio master tapes, but the payoff would be the best possible audio quality as a testament to Dusty's legendary career. The recordings could be archived in lossless audio formats such as WAV, FLAC, ALAC, etc. and then compressed into mp3 or aac/m4a as desired for individual use/convenience.

Are there any audiophiles, engineers or experts by any other name who can offer some insight here?
"This rusty dusty heart of mine
How you've made it shine..."

"When in doubt, turn the echo nob up!"
"So you're the little lady who makes all the music..."
Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Re: Remastering Dusty domestic recordings

Postby Corinna » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:05 am

Good question you're raising there, Joe. Fraser left his CDs to LTD, but what became of the original digital files, or the reels, I don't know.
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Many thanks for your reply, Cor [:)]

When we "purchase" (i.e. make a donation for) the various Beehive Productions CDs here on LTD and obtain them as downloads instead of physical discs, are the songs ripped from the CDs Fraser left you or are the music files obtained from another source?

If they are ripped from the CDs, would it be possible to request that each music file be encoded in a lossless format such as WAV or Apple Lossless Audio Codec when ripped from the CD? It would result in much larger files than mp3 or m4a/aac format but would ensure the best possible audio quality in absence of the original source recordings.

Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Corinna » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 am

The downloads I've made for you are from the CD. It's the only source I have. If you order any more, I can make sure to convert them to a lossless format.

Come to think of it... I will contact someone who may or may not know something about the original digital files. I'll be back.
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:06 pm

You're the best, Cor! :thumbsup:

Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Corinna » Thu May 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Unfortunately, the computer where Fraser kept his files, wasn't preserved when his flat was cleared after his unexpected passing. I have, however, been given a DVD with all files. I will need to check which format they have. And, indeed, I will need to find it first. I haven't explicitly looked for it after my house move, but if you are interested in trying to enhance the sound, I could make you a copy. And you will give us access to any enhanced files to use for our charity efforts, right? [:)]
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Fri May 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Absolutely! That would be an incredible honor and privilege, to help preserve the legacy of Dusty's incredible live performances. I am not an expert or degree-holding sound engineer, but I would network with all my local DJ/musician/sound friends and see if I could do anything to improve upon the sound quality of the audio files contained on the archive DVD in absence of the original audio source (in this case, the reel recordings).

As a future project, perhaps the fans who provided their domestic recordings for Fraser to digitize are still in possession of their reels, and perhaps a contact could be identified in their locale who could remaster and maximize the quality of those recordings in absence of official masters or transmission copies.

I imagine this is something along the lines of what the great Paul Howes must have done when preparing the Zone Records charity CDs through DSB.

Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Corinna » Sun May 04, 2014 4:40 pm

It's worth a try, Joe, and it would be much appreciated indeed! Some songs are a bit hard on the ears due to the background noise. I will start looking for the disc tonight. PM me with your address please!
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kyles Beguiles » Thu May 08, 2014 5:31 pm

PM sent, Cor! [:)]

Kyles Beguiles
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby Corinna » Tue May 13, 2014 6:19 pm

DVDs will go out to you tomorrow! Let me know when they reach you!
Cor xx

Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to A Song For You