Dusty Springfield International

Ask, Answer or Just State the Facts About Dusty.

Dusty Springfield International

Postby shelleymary » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:59 pm

I was a member of DSI from around 1979 to 1994 (when I think Lynne closed it). I went to all the conventions/parties during that time but I can't remember the dates and where they all were held. Unfortunately I "lost" all my DSI newsletters! I remember going to a party held in someone's flat in Holland park around 1980, and a weekend in Blackpool a few years later. The Entertainer 1984 and Central Park hotel 1988 when Dusty attended. Can anyone please fill in the rest?
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Re: Dusty Springfield International

Postby wally » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 pm

The last one was 1993 in November in a hotel off the Bayswater Road, but Dusty did not attend but sent a video message! it was still a great night though!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby donellac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:41 am

Hi there,

I don't know about the fan meet ups, but the DSI news letters (at least some of the them) are here on this forum in the 'From my Dusty Articles Archive' thread. You will find them from page 7 to the end!

[yahoo] [yahoo]
Donella x

Yesterday when I was young the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue!
donellac
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Postby shelleymary » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:55 am

Thank you both for your replies. Yes I went to the last one which was 1993. I also recall quite a few held in various London hotels and another on a disco boat on the Thames. I should've kept my diaries! After all these years I am just trying to put together dates and places! Also it would be great to hear from anyone who was there too! All the parties were great and Dusty usually sent a message. I was lucky to briefly chat with her at the Entertainer and even luckier to see her sing with Simon at The cental park hotel. If we had had the sort of phones and pads we have today it would all be on YouTube!
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Postby edjames » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:14 pm

The "Dusty Party" get-together in 1993 was not sponsored by Dusty Springfield International. It was sponsored and arranged by The Dusty Springfield Bulletin and it's then editors, John McElroy and Paul Howes.

It was held at the Forum Hotel in Kensignton. Dusty did not attend and send a audio message apologizing for her absence citing a previously cancelled hair dying appointment! It was a great evening and aired some rare video footage. I remember the Liberace show and several others. It also featured the premiere of some tracks from Dusty's just finished EMI Reputation album.

Dusty asked Pat and Lynne to end the Dusty Springfield International group several years earlier.

Ed
edjames
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby shelleymary » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:29 am

Thanks Ed. I was a member of the Bulletin too. I think Reputation was 1990. I recall Lynne writing to tell us that she was closing DSI for personal reasons. I know there is lots of thoughts on the reasons!
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Postby wally » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:21 am

I certainly went to a different party to everyone else in 1993! It was definitely organised by Lynne Jackson and Simon was there but no Dusty. the evening ended with Lynne and everyone forming a circle to sing YDHTSYLM. there were coloured photos on sale and orders for plates to celebrate 30 years. there were even t shirts with I'm Still Here, Love Dusty on them. I belive that the date was 20th November 1993!
Wally x
wally
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby edjames » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Sorry if I confused the venues and dates...old timers disease.

Yep! "Reputation" was released May 14, 1990.

I don't recall the DSI party. I do remember the party held at The Entertainer Pub and wishing I could have been there. Anyone out there have pics of any of these? I know I had some from the DSB party so I will have to search through my archives.

I have it from "reliable" sources that DSI was shut down at "Dusty's request", but once again, I might be wrong, since the info came second hand.

Ed
edjames
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby FionaJ » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:39 pm

shelleymary wrote:Thanks Ed. I was a member of the Bulletin too. I think Reputation was 1990. I recall Lynne writing to tell us that she was closing DSI for personal reasons. I know there is lots of thoughts on the reasons!

I'm intrigued as to what these reasons may have been.....does anyone know? [beg]
Fiona x

"Don't call it love
- Heavens above"
FionaJ
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby shelleymary » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks all.I think I saw a photo somewhere on this site of the Entertainer party Dusty is wearing a black leather suit with a red top. Simon, Lynne and Pat Rhodes are in the photo and I think Dusty's AA sponsor! This was October 1984. Dusty came and said a few words and signed autographs.
So a bit before the Stringfellow record- Sometimes like butterflies. I actually like the record although a shame about the vocals at the end!

The Central park hotel party was to celebrate 25 years and was held in November 1988. If I recall correctly it was a surprise that Dusty came although rumoured! Dusty sang several songs with Simon including a version of What have I done to deserve this! There is a good photo of Dusty and Simon singing on Simon's own website. Dusty is wearing a blue leather jacket and I can tell you that she looked stunning and very well. I think that earlier in the year she had spent some time at a health farm to get into shape.

Re: DSI My recollection is it closed in 1994. As I mentioned above Lynne wrote to members saying it was closing for personal reasons which I assumed was Dusty's illness. I guess the only person who would know for sure the reasons is Pat Rhodes.
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Postby FionaJ » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:59 am

Hi Pam [:)] All this makes for fascinating reading - thanks so much for posting your recollections :thumbsup:
Lucky you getting to meet Dusty, what fantastic memories you must have... :pensive:
Fiona x

"Don't call it love
- Heavens above"
FionaJ
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby shelleymary » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Yes Fiona all great memories! I also saw Dusty open the Springfields housing estate in Saltash Devon in October 1989. I would be interested to hear from anyone who was there too!
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Postby FionaJ » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:40 pm

How wonderful Pam! Did you see the photos that Karen posted yesterday of Dusty at the Springfields Estate? It's great that you were actually there....are you able to share any memories of that day? :pensive:
Fiona x

"Don't call it love
- Heavens above"
FionaJ
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby shelleymary » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:38 am

Thank you Fiona, for letting me know about the photos. I didn't take a camera with me so I don’t have any photos of my own so really good to see them. I do have the “flyer” though for the day which I will try and post here later. I am new to the site so still not sure how it all works and where everything goes! I recall that Dusty arrived in a chauffeur driven car around lunchtime and one of the managers there handed her the bouquet of flowers when she opened the event. Dusty walked around a bit and then went into one of the houses and signed autographs. I was too shy to speak to her on that occasion - still not sure why! However, I was lucky enough to push to the front of the crowd both when she arrived and left! No surprises - lots of make up but she looked great and happy and the jacket very colourful – floral was in at the time! I think she arrived alone as I don’t recall seeing anyone with her. It was Saturday 14 October at Saltash, Devon. I didn’t keep my diary – but I am pretty sure Paul Howes is right in his book “The complete DS” when he says that it was 1989. I recall it was about the time Dusty moved back to England and around the time she had bought or was buying the house at Wellbank, Taplow. I took me four hours to drive to Devon and four hours back again but it was worth it! Pam.
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Postby Cas19 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Thank you Pam loved reading your memories of that day.

Casx
Something in your eyes
Cas19
All I see is you
All I see is you

Postby trek007 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Lovely to read about all these memories :star:
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby FionaJ » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks so much Pam for your wonderful recollections :bravo:

How lovely to have been in Dusty's presence, and well worth the long journey!

I know that if I had ever been in her company, I would definitely have been rendered speechless as i would have been so in awe of her :pensive:
Fiona x

"Don't call it love
- Heavens above"
FionaJ
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Dustyweston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:35 pm

I'd be dumb struck and speechless too Fiona
Mary,Mary
Glen
Dustyweston
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Pudge » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:58 pm

I had a chance to speak to Dusty in 1964,I was just what you said Glen speechless.
Into my life forever

Dorn x
Pudge
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Dustyweston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:25 pm

So you just stood and looked at her? Dorn:)
Mary,Mary
Glen
Dustyweston
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Dustyweston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:25 pm

You lucky thing. Glen
Mary,Mary
Glen
Dustyweston
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Pudge » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:33 pm

I saw her in concert at mansfield,waited for her outside,she walked right by me ,I was to shy to speak.
I have regretted it all my life <3
Into my life forever

Dorn x
Pudge
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Dustyweston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:58 pm

I envy you. Wish I could have had that experiences. It must have been great.
Mary,Mary
Glen
Dustyweston
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby FionaJ » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:40 pm

moore wrote:I saw her in concert at mansfield,waited for her outside,she walked right by me ,I was to shy to speak.
I have regretted it all my life <3

Dorn if you could turn the clock back and relive that moment, what do you think you would have said to her?

(Several years ago, after decades of idolising Chrissie Hynde, I finally met her. I was totally overawed. I went to shake her hand, but actually held onto it and forgot to let go. I then babbled nonsense to her for several minutes. To be fair to her, she coped well with it, and i left her with a very bemused expression on her face!)
Fiona x

"Don't call it love
- Heavens above"
FionaJ
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby Pudge » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 pm

I probably would have said I idolized her.and loved her music,I was very shy when I was a young girl. <3
Into my life forever

Dorn x
Pudge
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby shelleymary » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:55 am

Springfields housing estate opening.jpg

Here it is!
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Postby FionaJ » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Love it Pam! Thanks so much for posting it :bravo:
Fiona x

"Don't call it love
- Heavens above"
FionaJ
I've got a good thing
I've got a good thing

Postby shelleymary » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:54 am

I still ask myself why didn't I ask Dusty to sign the flyer? Thank goodness I already had her autograph on a poster when meeting her at The Entertainer pub which by the way at the time (1984) the pub sign was a photo of Dusty! I think it is all different now. I remember how sweet Dusty was when she spoke to me sensing I was nervous she had a joke with me about how our tops were the same colour which by coincidence was true - they were both a red colour.
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Postby karen » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Some lovely memories there from you both , and yes if you could go back to the days when this happened , :pensive: but at least you did see her.. [;)]
karen
I only want to be with you
I only want to be with you

Postby Frans » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:52 pm

shelleymary wrote:I still ask myself why didn't I ask Dusty to sign the flyer? Thank goodness I already had her autograph on a poster when meeting her at The Entertainer pub which by the way at the time (1984) the pub sign was a photo of Dusty!

IMG_20150716_0001.jpg
canards, canaux, canailles
Frans
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby shelleymary » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Great you kept your ticket. I can't find mine! Can you remember when Lynne closed DSI?
See All Her Faces
shelleymary
Little by little
Little by little

Return to Getting It Right