Where Have All The People Gone?

To Your Community. If you're a newbie, say hello here!

Where Have All The People Gone?

Postby humboldt » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 am

Where Have All The People Gone? So many regular posters have simply vanished from LTD with the result that there is now a huge void. People like Jeffery, Paula, Markus, Christoph, Clive, Carole R, SweMaria, Zoey, Starlight, Neil, Sue, Dotty, Hampson etc. Even Nancy is a stranger to these shores if the last visit date is correct. Some new members start with a flurry of posts but these soon dry up. In the past 5 years there has been only a handful of new members who are still regular posters. I know that there has been nothing new to post about for a while now so what can us 'oldies' do to attract new members and entourage existing ones to post? Any ideas? Dusty's 20th anniversary is almost upon us and as yet I have not heard about any plans by the music industry to celebrate this! So is this it, is this now all there is?
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Re: Where Have All The People Gone?

Postby trek007 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am

Most of the people have gone to Facebook.
There is room for Facebook and LTD, so it would be nice if people could post on the 2 sites.
I hope the Anniversarys' are acknowledged on the radio channels.
Radio 2 in particular has done programmes on Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson to name a few for various landmarks...perhaps they need reminding about Dusty .
Trekx. Often called Carole.

Ev'rything's coming up Dusty.
trek007
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby humboldt » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:06 pm

I stopped following FB LTD about a year ago. It's full of videos & photos and little else. That's fine if that's all you want but if I want to see Dusty I'll play my own DVD's or a selection from YT. Who runs the page?
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Clive » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Good post John. I have often wondered the same. I miss all the members you mention and could add so many others. I am glad the forum is still going though and I’m grateful to all those who still contribute regularly.
For my own part I had some internet access issues in the past . But even when these were resolved I think once you get out of the habit of posting every day you tend to wait until there is some news to post . Also I used to have ideas for new topics but never seem to think of any anymore! Maybe other peoples posts used to spark ideas with me and with less regulars this has a knock on effect.
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby humboldt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:00 pm

If I were to post every day I'd just be repeating myself and that's boring. IMHO this forum has much more to offer than FB as there is a place for everything and not just a lot of random jottings with photos and videos! It takes very little effort to post such things on FB compared to a measured and informative post on here! How to win people back, I have no idea!
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Clive » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:10 pm

Brian's quizzes used to to get people involved, still hard to believe he is no longer with us.

Would you think of setting a quiz John? From your posts I know you have a broad musical knowledge.

Also I used to enjoy the survivor games which Taylor used to do.

In terms of getting people re-involved who no longer post maybe Corinna would consider sending a PM /email to all members letting them know they're missed?
Clive
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:53 pm

We miss Brian and his funny posts.we miss all the regulars too. This site has been strangling itself to death ever since everyone went to facebook,despite the best attempts to post various interesting things as well as Dusty issues there is often sadly no response. It becomes disheartening to those of us who have tried to keep posting.
We were told at the time that the facebook page wouldnt make any difference.........well especially for people like me who are not on facebook then its been disastrous. [:(]
Sadly you cant put the genie back in the lamp/ bottle.
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby humboldt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 am

No Liz, you can't put the genie back in the lamp - I've tried! I'm on FB but stopped following LTD there as it's just really folk posting lots of random videos & photos which is not for me. I always come here for news. The trouble is that there is nothing new to report and the majority of newbies just don't stay the distance. I don't have an answer I'm afraid. Perhaps the 20th anniversary may generate some interest but on the other hand it may just prove to be the final nail in the LTD coffin!
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby humboldt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:30 am

Clive wrote:Brian's quizzes used to to get people involved, still hard to believe he is no longer with us.

Would you think of setting a quiz John? From your posts I know you have a broad musical knowledge.

Also I used to enjoy the survivor games which Taylor used to do.

In terms of getting people re-involved who no longer post maybe Corinna would consider sending a PM /email to all members letting them know they're missed?

Hi Clive. About 18 mth ago I messaged about 20 long time members asking if they were OK as I had missed them and only 2 or 3 bothered to reply! I have set a couple of quizzes and polls in the past but I think that very few members would be interested.
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby Corinna » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Hey all, yes, the times have certainly changed. I, too, miss our tightly knit LTD community. And while I understand that not everyone wants to be on facebook, many people have decided that the Dusty discussions going on there are enough for them. There isn't as much Dusty news to report, and much - or maybe most - has been said before, often multiple times. And with the popularity of social media, it's understandable that a forum such as this doesn't have the appeal it used to.

Liz, I have to disagree with you here, it's not LTD's facebook page that has caused this forum to dwindle. There are several very popular Dusty pages on facebook, and they also attract new generations of Dusty fans. So while it's not great for LTD, on the whole, it's good for Dusty.

And I have no plans to take the forum down. It's a valuable source of in-depth information of all things Dusty, accumulated over all in all 13 years (including the archives from our previous forum), so it's worth keeping for that sake alone.

Happy posting, everyone. [:)]
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cardiff Bluesgirl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:20 pm

Well we will certainly disagree then Cor as the facebook link did coincide with the decreasing interest on here.
If you look at the change of the postings for Dusty day alone you will see that where we used to have lots of posts and pics of the event and the meet ups then they virtually dropped away to nothing as they were on facebook apparently. The same for her birthday etc and for people who visited Henley and put pics etc on ltd.
I agree that there are lots of different sites people may go to nowadays. They didnt exist then thats why i said that sadly you couldnt put the genie back in the bottle. [:)]
"every day I find you're in my heart and on my mind"

"she was the very essence of fabness""

" its nice to rest for awhile thank you "

Liz
Cardiff Bluesgirl
Someone who cares
Someone who cares

Postby humboldt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:10 pm

LTD is a valuable and coherent record of information and discussions that are searchable. FB (any FB) is a series of random jottings and certainly not somewhere that information is held other than 'for the moment'. Should you Cor ever consider closing down LTD let me know as I'd be happy to look after it.
humboldt
Can I get a witness
Can I get a witness

Postby john 261 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:38 am

I am afraid that I am one of the guilty ones who used to be a member several years ago. I think what happened with me was we moved house and was quite busy with one thing and another, then I joined the Facebook group and somehow never posted here again. Saying that I am not keen on Facebook, and post very little on there anyhow.
Anyhow I am back again and hope to join in a bit more.
John [:)]
john 261
I start counting

Postby Corinna » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:55 am

Welcome back, John! [:)]
Cor xx

Dusty Springfield, that's a pretty name
Pretty as a pearl
What a pretty girl
Corinna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby john 261 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks Corinna. [:D] [:D]
john 261
I start counting

Postby MissDustyFanatic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 am

I know in my case, I got busy with life. And the boom in social media made it easy to forget that there were different ways of communicating with other Dusty fans other than on Facebook, Instagram, etc
"And far away you'll hear me...singing through the dawn"
MissDustyFanatic
I'll try anything
I'll try anything

Postby Michael Muccino » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Count me in the "missing in action" group. And I don't really have an excuse, so I apologize. I didn't think I had much to contribute, but actually I probably do. And I feel that learning of Nancy's passing jolted me. So I'll try my best to engage in some cool exchanges with my old friends here.

Michael
Michael Muccino
Where am I going?
Where am I going?

Return to Welcome Home