Jukebox musical thread

Great Music--Other Than Dusty's.

Jukebox musical thread

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 am

Jukebox.gif
Jukebox.gif (27.57 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
After ten years of discussion a Cher jukebox stage musical has had its premiere date announced, The Cher Show being set to premiere in Chicago June 12 2018 with its sights on an autumnal Broadway opening. With a book by Rick Elice of Jersey Boys fame the show will feature three different actresses portraying Cher at different ages: fledgling plans were for Cher herself to be one of the three actresses but that doesn't seem to be officially confirmed as yet.
Last edited by Sweetbaby on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Re: Jukebox musical thread

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 pm

ImageI've re-entitled this thread to accommodate the announcement of jukebox musicals overall - and perhaps even discussion of them! Any road - The Sun quotes the father of Amy Winehouse as saying "A musical celebrating her life and music is being talked about for the near future...We [ie. her family] want to do something that remembers Amy for what she was, there’s so much more to her than just the drugs and the alcohol." Link to view the article: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4 ... ouncement/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:18 pm

ImageThe Tina Turner jukebox musical set for the West End next spring has cast its leading lady: Adrienne Warren posing here with the true Tina -
TTurnerAWarren.png
TTurnerAWarren.png (190.92 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
Full story here: http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/ ... r-musical/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:48 pm

ImageI'm not expecting any especial interest from Dusty fans in a Grateful Dead jukebox musical: I'm mentioning it here anyway because it strikes me as so odd. I guess it's somewhat normalizing that the host venue - Minetta Lane Theatre - is in Greenwich Village. Officially opening last Sunday after previewing since October 11, Red Roses, Green Gold has made a good enough first impression to run til at least January 7. Not sure about the prospects of a UK production. Link to the New York Times review below:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/thea ... adway.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:46 pm

ImageRunning off-Broadway til the end of the year is This One's For the Girls a new edition of Respect: A Musical Journey of Women a jukebox musical derived from a scholarly dissertation which "chart[ed] the story of women’s 'co-dependence to independence through the musical hits of the past century": the original play has been a staple of American regional theatre since 2004 and had a successful Australian run in 2007. None of Dusty's hits made the musical's song list but both Tell HIm and You Don't Own Me are featured. Here's a link to a review of the show: http://dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2017/10/2 ... s-theatre/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 pm

ImageWell here's a jukebox musical my board buds might give a stuff about: a stage musical featuring the Bee Gees' songbook as a soundtrack to the Gibb brothers life-story is in the first stage of development. I'll provide a link below to the Entertainment Weekly article altho at this point really nothing has been announced: never fear - I'll post details as they're provided! http://ew.com/theater/2017/11/08/bee-ge ... universal/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:12 am

ImageSummer: the Donna Summer Musical opened last Tuesday at the La Jolla Playhouse on the UC San Diego campus and apparently has left critics speechless: if there's any online reviews they're eluding me! The musical, set to run til December 17, features three performers in the title role plus seventeen featured performers all but four of whom are female with actresses playing such male roles as Donna's first husband and also Pete Bellote and Giorgio Moroder the production/songwriting team who launched Donna to stardom. I'll provide a link to the play's program (use the horizontal scroll bar to view every other page): http://www.lajollaplayhouse.org/downloa ... R-kbyg.pdf
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:13 am

ImageA jukebox musical of a very different stripe is Roman Holiday, plot from the iconic Audrey Hepburn/ Gregory Peck 1953 film, score form the Cole Porter songbook. After two isolated regional engagements in 2001 and 2012 the musical - with an overhauled script - played San Francisco last summer in what was billed as a "pre-Broadway" engagement altho at present there's no announced Manhattan-area booking for the show. Here's a link to Variety's tepid response to the Golden Gate engagement: http://variety.com/2017/legit/reviews/r ... 202456634/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:33 pm

ImageFull casting for the Tina Turner jukebox musical: http://musicaltheatrereview.com/tina-th ... g-revealed
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 am

ImageThe first reviews are in for the Donna Summer jukebox musical and none of them are good - I’ll provide the link to the LA Times review by Charles McNulty which is the most thorough: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ar ... story.html

BTW McNulty speaks of a projected Go-Gos jukebox musical: in fact Head Over Heels which dramatized the Elizabethan romance Arcadia to the strains of Go-Gos songs played the Oregon Shakespeare Festival two years ago. And re McNulty’s suggestion that an Air Supply jukebox musical would portend the Apocalypse: the projected musical All Out of Love, scoring a fictitious storyline with the Air Supply songbook, was announced in 2013 but evidently ran “all out of gas” in its preproduction stages - you might say the team planning the musical weren’t too late to see that they were so wrong! [:D]
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 am

ImageThe 60s jukebox musical A Sign of the Times which premiered the summer past at Goodspeed Musicals in Connecticut will have "private industry presentations" in New York City on December 14th and 15th in hopes of securing backing for a 2018 Broadway engagement, with the lead role assigned to no less than Chilina Kennedy who's currently starring on Broadway as Carole King in Beautiful a role Chilina did not originate but has played more often than any other actress (mostly performing on Broadway but also in Toronto).

Perhaps portentously her role as Carole King has required Chilina to say many times: “Singers are beautiful like...Petula Clark......Who wants to hear a normal person [like me] sing?” That said - Chilina's Broadway role in A Sign of the Times would not be Petula, as the musical utilizes oldies hits to score the story of small-town girl Cindy making her way in the Manhattan of the mid-1960s. The show features several of Petula's songs with a number of her contemporaries getting "one-off" representation - in the Connecticut run Dusty's IOWTBWY was featured.

BTW the book for A Sign of the Times was written by Bruce Vilanch who was a friend of Dusty's: in Tarra Thomas' account of getting mugged waiting in her car outside the West Hollywood groceteria where Dusty was buying cat food Tarra mentions how after she had gone into the store and reported the mishap Dusty spied Bruce in the cookie aisle - [Dusty] screamed “Bruce! We’ve been carjacked!” Well Bruce Vilanch was startled because...I think...he was having a “food slip” and was caught by Dusty with an overflowing basket of goodies, and it was pretty clear he wasn’t sure what to respond to first - being caught by Dusty Springfield, or being caught by Dusty Springfield who was talking carjacking. So he said, “Dusty! We meet again! Wanna donut?” You can see this passage in context in the first post in this 2013 thread: /viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4783&p=111575&hilit=vilanch#p111575
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 am

ImageThe Go-Gos jukebox musical Head Over Heels is now posited for a Broadway run opening in the 2018-19 season. As I've previously posted the musical played at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival two years ago, then in November 2016 the Broadway production's would-be producers put together a reading for prospective backers and apparently after a year's worth of mulling over some party or parties have committed to finance a pre-Broadway engagement at the Curran Theater in San Francisco from April 24 through May 20 2018. BTW the names of the producers are well-known altho not as producers of plays, being Gwyneth Paltrow and Donovan Leitch - not Donovan senior of Catch the Wind fame but his son who was once Paltrow's beau: the pair's interest in mounting what would become Head Over Heels was first announced in September 2013 almost two years before the play's first incarnation debuted in Oregon.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 am

ImageWell some fairly wintery reviews haven’t prevented a Broadway transfer for Summer: the Donna Summer Musical which begins previews at the Lunt-Fontanne Theater next March 28 with tickets on sale from January 8.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:24 am

ImageWell not exactly hot off the press but a Tom Jones jukebox musical at least got a reading for potential backers over the past summer: entitled What’s New Pussycat the show would use the songbook of the Welsh superstar to score a dramatization of the 1749 Henry Fielding novel updated to the Swinging 60s. All going well the show will open a British tour in Wales this year conditionally followed by a West End run and a 2019 Broadway transfer.

There actually has already been a Tom Jones bio-jukebox musical: first workshopped in 2011, Tom - a story of Tom Jones toured on a limited basis in 2014 and then on a larger scale in 2016. Focused on TJ’s pre-stardom years and scored mostly with songs “Tommy Scott” might have covered fronting the Senators, the show seems to have made a pleasing impression without ever evoking a whiff of interest in a West End run.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:25 am

ImageThe A Sign of the Times jukebox musical scored by the Petula Clark songbook and other 60's hits will play its first Broadway tryout engagement November 28–December 23 2018 at the Delaware Theater Company playhouse in Wilmington Delaware. Earlier this year that venue will host Ella: First Lady of Song which bio-musical runs April 18 to May 13 with Freda Payne starring as Ella Fitzgerald.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:12 am

ImageIt doesn't officially open til April 17 but The Tina Turner Musical began previews Wednesday past at the Aldwych Theatre at the corner of Aldwych and Drury Lane in Westminster: hopefully it's a good sign that the Aldwych hosted the West End run of the smash hit Carole King jukebox musical Beautiful. Certainly the one review the Tina Turner musical has so far drawn more than suggests that the production is "gonna work out fine": click to view! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... urner.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:15 am

ImageA staged version of the 2001 film Moulin Rouge! is scheduled for a Broadway tryout run at Boston's Emerson Colonial Theatre from June 27 through to August 5 2018. Reportedly the musical's score "features many of the iconic songs from the movie and also includes recent hits released since the movie premiered 15 years ago" (BTW it is in fact almost 17 years to the month that the film opened the 2001 Cannes Film Festival).
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 pm

ImageAs promised the Tina Turner jukebox musical officially opened last night and while the handful of reviews already generated evince differences of opinion they're all positive enough to bolster the hit potential of a show that's probably critic-proof anyway! I'm linking to The Stage review as it struck me as having a nicely balanced tone: https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2018 ... re-london/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 pm

ImageRolling Stone has an article on the Cher jukebox musical set for Broadway this fall which certainly looks good "on paper": https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fe ... es-w519224
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 pm

ImageThe Donna Summer bio-musical has had its official opening - with its producers' faith that what fizzled in San Diego might sizzle on Broadway evidently unfounded, the overall critical stance being summed up by the New York Times headline: "Hot Stuff Turns Cold in ‘Summer: The Donna Summer Musical’": I'm amazed the musical's official site found two positive quotes to run!

Altho I mentioned re the Tina Turner musical that just opened in the West End that the jukebox musical is critic-proof I suspect that Donna Summer mightn't necessarily be an audience-magnet even in a well-received show and with the critical drubbing her musical's getting I sense that after a spate of hit jukebox musicals in recent years The Donna Summer Musical may be if not a total flop at least a box office disappointment: it may well close earlier than its projected seven month run.

I'll link to a sampling of the critics' reactions: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ent ... story.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Tue May 01, 2018 9:35 pm

ImageWell - Donna Summer is obviously somewhat more of an audience-magnet than I anticipated: in the first week of its official run her bio-musical drew on average a 92% full house with a total gross of $1,055,612. Probably almost all of the first week's audience bought tickets prior to the avalanche of icy reviews but with that much evident interest there's at least a good chance that the show will indeed be another critic-proof jukebox musical. And the just-announced Tony nominations for two of the three Donnas as respectively lead and featured musical actress will at least buoy and perhaps boost audience interest.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm

ImageThe Cher Show opened at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago two nights ago: not sure when (or if) there's going to be a press night - as yet there's no apparent reviews. The show runs at the Oriental until July 15: previews for the Broadway run are scheduled to begin at the Neil Simon Theatre on November 1 with the official opening night December 3.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:22 am

ImageCher herself caught a preview performance of The Cher Show last weekend and opined: "Some parts of it are really fabulous. We’re going to work on the other parts...I’m not supposed to say that but I don’t care." I'm so impressed with her honesty that I'm really rooting for the musical to do well - hopefully as improved to her standards. And if the critically-mauled Donna Summer musical can become a Broadway success it's likely The Cher Show - with or without critical support - will do likewise. The Cher Show has its official premiere tonight (Thursday) so presumably tomorrow there'll be some reviews to - tee hee - share!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:14 pm

ImageIf its first reviews prove exemplary The Cher Show won't have to overcome negative critical reaction. Rachel Weinberg launches her Broadwayworld.com assessment with the assertion that: "The pre-Broadway engagement of The Cher Show has made its way to Chicago in a blaze of colorful, over-the-top energy and replete with the artist's chart-topping hits", concluding that: "Overall, The Cher Show is a dazzling thrill that can be appreciated by hardcore Cher fans and those who have a more cursory knowledge of the bold and talented artist... [Micaela] Diamond ["Babe"], [Teal] Wicks ["Lady"], and [Stephanie J.] Block ["Star"] will easily have audiences believing in the power of Cher." In between there's nary a gripe about the production: although some scenes are deemed "clunky" the core "emotions...feel authentic": "The Cher Show does precisely what it's intended to do and does it well: captures the spirit of a determined and unique artist who rose to the top." The full review may be read here: https://www.broadwayworld.com/chicago/a ... o-20180629

A more in-depth analysis by Steven Oxman in Variety is more qualified in its praise: "The Cher Show captures a good amount of the vibrant personality and genuinely admirable perseverance that make Cher the ultimate celebrity survivor. But like Cher herself, the show careens from career to career without a consistent thrust other than awesome attitude... It’s funny but not that funny, clever but never interesting, and although it depicts Cher’s ability to go bigger and bolder, the show itself maintains a respectful tameness...Cher’s constant comebacks don’t feel very inspirational when we see only the highlights [and while]the performers playing Cher are all strong and all capture that unique husky sound ...it very rarely feels like they have an opportunity to let loose and have a blast." Reservations notwithstanding, in the context of the typical critical reaction to jukebox musicals Mr Oxman's assessment is (IMHO) "strong enough" (tee hee): his speculation that the Broadway boxoffice potential for The Cher Show will recall On Your Feet! rather than Beautiful is the most radiant piece of pessimism I can imagine. The full review may be read here: https://variety.com/2018/legit/reviews/ ... 202861646/
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 pm

ImageWell a week before the Broadway premiere of The Cher Show - and on the day of the first preview of the 60s jukebox musical A Sign of the Times in Delaware - two high-profile jukebox musicals have entered their final spin cycle: Head Over Heels which sets an Elizabethan pastorale to Go-Gos songs will end a 5 month run (which followed a month of previews) the first week of January, a week after the Donna Summer bio-musical wraps an 8 month tenure. The Summer musical elicited little if any critical love: however if its official site indicates the show will "go on" - the road that is but not til next September, with a tour said to be under consideration for the decently-reviewed Head Over Heels. Cast albums were recorded for both shows.
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 am

ImageThe critical word on The Cher Show is disappointing even for a jukebox musical: a rabid fanbase precludes an out-&-out flop but it remains to be seen if this musical can court an extended audience sufficiently to rate as at least a qualified hit rather than a non-event à la the soon-to-be-shuttered Donna Summer would-be-lovefest. I'll put in a link to a link page of review excerpts for The Cher Show: http://www.playbill.com/article/read-re ... n-broadway
And here's a link to a review in the student newspaper of Fordham University which IMHO is especially well-written: https://fordhamobserver.com/37089/arts- ... show-take/

The 60s jukebox musical A Sign of the Times at the Delaware Theater doesn't officially open til Saturday but an article at Delaware Online seems to contain positive reactions to a viewing of a preview performance. The score includes most but not all of Petula Clark's US Top 40 hits: the omission of The Cat in the Window and Don't Give Up isn't much of a surprise but two of Pet's very biggest hits couldn't or just weren't shoe-horned in. I can see This is My Song not fitting well into a 60s musical, but IMHO My Love would have been the easiest song to slot into the show - and I confidently say that without even knowing the finer points of the plot! Call Me, which wasn't a single for Petula but seems to be strongly associated with her, did make the cut. The show's nod to Dusty is IOWTBWY which is the second number performed, the opener being Who am I. Here's a link to the Delaware Online article: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/li ... 219252002/

And Peter Noone is at least sort of getting the jukebox musical treatment: My Own British Invasion set for a January 2019 premiere at New Jersey's prestigious Paper Mill Playhouse, is said to be based loosely on the experiences of the Herman's Hermits frontman. The book is by Rob Elice who was responsible for Jersey Boys and The Cher Show with the score comprising hit songs not only by the Hermits but by other "British Invaders" such as the Beatles, the Moody Blues, the Rolling Stones and Petula Clark - no mention of Dusty as yet!
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Postby Sweetbaby » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:54 pm

ImageWell you can exhale [;)] - the review (and so far there evidently is only one) for A Sign of the Times is in and - IMHO - it's as good as a jukebox musical is as likely to get boding well for a Broadway run with perhaps an eventual West End transfer. Anyone interested in the review may click here (ah, the sound of silence): http://www2.philly.com/arts/delaware-th ... 81210.html
Sweetbaby
Wasn't born to follow
Wasn't born to follow

Return to The Other Side of Life